Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beer, Patches, Fields and Parkways - Honoring 19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 1/21/15 12:57 am    Post subject: Beer, Patches, Fields and Parkways - Honoring 19 Reply with quote

While many posts were made last summer about the many ways in which the late Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn is being honored, there continue to be new tributes as we move into a new year.

Below are some novel as well as conventional ways in which "Mr. Padre" is being commemorated:

-Discussions have been under way since last summer about naming a stretch of highway in Poway after Gwynn. Ideally, it would have connected with Ted Williams Parkway. Instead, a portion of Interstate 15 has been approved to be renamed for him--the Tony Gwynn Memorial Freeway-- while Poway continues to honor Gwynn with a monument at the local baseball fields. Tony, like so many others who came up through the baseball gold mine of Southern California, was a huge supporter of youth baseball in the area, and so it will be that three Socal-born Hall of Famers will be honored with memorials in our county--Gwynn, Williams and, of course, Duke Snider.

The Pomerado News notes, in part:

Quote:
The City ran an online survey from June 23 to July 31 to gauge community feedback on how to celebrate the achievements of Gwynn. Renaming the baseball fields at Community Park and installing new scoreboards and a plaque or monument received the majority of survey votes, with 27. A similar plan at Aubrey Park came in second with 13 votes, while the proposed Lake Poway plan came in third with three votes. A fourth option allowed voters to write in their own suggestions. Some recommended renaming Espola Road after Gwynn, or the entirety of Community Park, and others proposed a small museum focused on the baseball player.

...Councilman Steve Vaus said that he is in favor of building a substantial monument in Gwynn’s honor at Lake Poway, as opposed to a plaque. Poway-based San Diego Granite has offered to donate materials for the construction of such a structure, he said.

Councilman John Mullin, in agreement with Vaus, said that he favors Lake Poway over Community Park for honoring Gwynn. Mullin said that he feels the lake provides a more serene environment for visitors.

“It’s kind of a pensive place,” said Mullin. He also said that he would appreciate a monument that focuses not necessarily on Gwynn’s baseball ability, but his contributions to society. “I want something to show Tony as a human being, not just a right fielder,” said Mullin.

Next, the SDSU baseball team, about to begin their first season without their beloved coach, will sport Tony Gwynn - Aztec for Life patches on their uniforms this year in memory of the former player turned coach on Montezuma Mesa.

Last, in this the craft beer capital, last month Alesmith Brewery released a limited edition of .394 ale, in tribute to Gwynn. Well, I'll drink to that!

All of the above, of course, are very deserving for a local icon who was devoted to Socal, but transcended the small market he played in, to become an icon in MLB history.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 2/23/15 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 1/21/15 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I want to thank you for starting this thread, Linda. There is no more deserving man to be honored and any small gesture anyone can make in his memory will not be too little, along with the bigger things like freeway stretches.

I do love that the Aztecs will be honoring him with a patch - the patch should be stitched over the heart if you ask me! - instead of on the sleeve. That is where Tony is best remembered!

And, I loved the special ale in his memory - we didn't get any because it was so limited that they ran out with the high demand, but friends of ours did. That would be something to treasure! It would have been especially great if he had hit .400 that year so we could say the last 2 .400 hitters were San Diegans! I am so proud to be a fan of No. 19 and to live here in America's Finest City.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/26/15 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little more about the Alesmith brew, as they had a special event over the weekend to celebrate Tony. I was so glad to find out about this, thinking I had missed out on my chance to get the .394! So, now I can do that. Too bad, but I was working my own events (back-to-back and both out of town) so I could not be at this one - it sounds like it would have been great to go to!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/19/15 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we've talked about it a little bit in other threads, here's a photo gallery from the U-T of last Friday's ceremony before the Aztecs' season opener.

Get your Kleenex out.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/20/15 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did! This has been reposted on a lot of blogs. Worth a few good sniffs. Crying or Very sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/9/15 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Just because.*

The man who loved the 5.5 hole would have turned 55 today--he was born on May 9, 1960 in Los Angeles.

TG2 wanted to honor his dad in some way, according to this article from the Union-Tribune.

Happy birthday in Baseball Heaven, TG!

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 5/10/15 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/10/15 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Linda, seeing this made me Crying or Very sad again. After last night's game FSSD played a special tribute to him. Ca you believe on this day last year, he was still alive and with us. Bill Center shared some memories of conversations with Tony on padres.com - linked here

Alesmith also released another .394 in honor of his 55th.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/3/15 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Poway City Council has rejected a proposed memorial for Tony Gwynn on the basis of it not being significant enough.

From the Union-Tribune article linked above:

Quote:
It was left up in the air how the process will proceed. Several people in the community, including an artist, have volunteered to work with the city to come up with a better tribute.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/4/15 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know huh? You would think they would have figured that out in advance. Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/16/15 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You knew this day was coming, just like May 9 came and went.

Remembering No. 19, one year later.

Nineteen memories, from the Union-Tribune.

And, for good measure, a past favorite song. When this one charted, TG was a year away from his major league debut.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 6/16/15 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a rough start to this week for us Padres fans. Yesterday's jolt and then of course, this day which I knew was coming and thinking about for awhile, actually ever since his birthday last month.

Thanks for the song video, brightened my day. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/17/15 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans shared their memories yesterday...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/10/15 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California State Assembly has signed and now sends to the Senate and Governor Brown a resolution honoring Tony Gwynn with a stretch of Interstate 15 through the Poway/PQ area.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/10/15 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You have no idea how happy that made me to see this news story this morning. He may be Mr. Padre but he is a California native as well. When the signs are up and official, it will be wonderful to see the junction of Gwynn Memorial Highway and Ted Williams Parkway. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/12/15 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan Jenkins' column in the U-T: "A Solid Single for I-15 Tribute"

Quote:
A rose — the Tony award — to Assemblyman Brian Maienschein, R-San Diego, for keeping his eye on the resolution to name a 5-mile stretch of Interstate 15 the Tony Gwynn Memorial Freeway.

It’s a 99 percent certainty, about the same probability that Mr. Padre would make contact with a hanging slider, that the memorial measure will move through the state Senate and be signed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

As some will remember, this column called for a grand-slam gesture to honor Tony: the conversion of Ted Williams Parkway to the Tony Gwynn Parkway. (No disrespect to The Kid. State Route 56 would have remained the Ted Williams Freeway, thus uniting the two transcendent left-handed hitters in a sweet line drive.)

To his credit, Maienschein took a serious look at the four-bagger, but the Caltrans cost for signage — more than $400,000 — proved prohibitive. The memorial freeway is a solid single, between third base and short. Well struck. In its way, perfect.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/12/15 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will resist posting my opinions on some other things about Manschein Twisted Evil but I do applaud him here. Although I think if there had been some local fundraiser for the $400,000 required for signage they would have had no problem reaching that goal! Well done on his part though for keeping this issue out there.

Jenkins makes some good baseball analogies. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/12/15 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will resist posting my opinions on some other things about Manschein Twisted Evil but I do applaud him here. Although I think if there had been some local fundraiser for the $400,000 required for signage they would have had no problem reaching that goal! Well done on his part though for keeping this issue out there.

Jenkins makes some good baseball analogies. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/6/15 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you know all this, Cathy, but I didn't realize Tony's mom's birthday was August 6, which, of course, is today...although I did know the trivia about his milestones recorded on that day over the years.

As MLB.com notes, August 6 is a special day in the Gwynn family.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/15 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw thanks for thinking of me!

I did think of him on Thursday and they mentioned all this during the game in Milwaukee too.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/19/15 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tony Gwynn Memorial Freeway (stretch of Interstate 15) will be officially dedicated this morning.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/20/15 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tugs at my heart--Little T with the freeway signs.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/20/15 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! - I was there!

Sorry I have not been around the last few days. Was gone for a work event in the Bay area and did not combine it with driving this time. So my flight home yesterday arrived just in time for me to get my bags, be picked up, then Raul and I sped up to the Poway/PQ area just in time for the ceremony to begin. A great day to honor a great man! Thanks for posting the pictures, too. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/21/15 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Logan Jenkins' column in the Union-Tribune, mentioning exit 19:

Quote:
In the weirdest serendipity imaginable, the off-ramp onto Ted Williams Parkway, the one Gwynn evidently used out of respect for Williams, happens to be Tony’s fabled uniform number.

Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 10/22/15 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, too. Very Happy
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/26/16 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ladies may have read this already and I do not have the link right here, but the Tony Gwynn Museum will be opening at Alesmith in the near future. Linda, it will be something to add to your "San Diego baseball history tour."
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/28/16 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can't wait to check that out. I'd love to, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/31/16 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poway Center for the Performing Arts is having a concert in memory of Tony, tomorrow night. The proceeds from this show will go towards a sculpture of Tony for his community.

Information linked here

The details on the center's website are,

Quote:
Entertainment includes Tony Gwynn’s longtime Padres teammate Tim Flannery with his band the Lunatic Fringe; Richie McDonald of Lonestar; Steve Vaus; Glen Erath; Eve Selis; and, Back to the Garden. San Diego media personality Mark Larson will serve as the Master of Ceremonies. The evening will also feature guest appearances by San Diego sports stars such as Shawne Merriman, Trevor Hoffman and Mark Grant.

The evening will not only include great music, but also memories of Poway’s Hometown Hero – Tony Gwynn. There will be a live auction of unique Tony Gwynn memorabilia, and the opportunity to be recognized as a sponsor on the memorial’s donor wall. The evening will conclude with the unveiling of the selected memorial design.

All proceeds will go directly to fund the memorial sculpture of Tony Gwynn.

Why they must have this on a night I already had tickets for the game, I do not understand! But I know a lot of people will go and support this cause. Would love to see Flan again as I have always been a fan of his.

Information linked here
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/9/16 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 56th birthday to Mr. Padre!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/16/16 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart broke 2 years ago today when I learned that Mr. Padre had died. Crying or Very sad Bill Center wrote a nice piece about this second anniversary, linked here

Rest in peace 19! You are in our hearts forever.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/16/16 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Listening to TG2 right now on Dodger Talk.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: