Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Why I was Late for Work"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/30/06 1:40 am    Post subject: "Why I was Late for Work" Reply with quote

So yesterday morning I was driving north on the freeway from where I live to my office on a beautiful spring day, just after an overnight rain, windows down, sun shining above and sky sparkling…and it made me wonder why we have to wait until April every year before we get this baseball season underway?

Well, anyway, I’m sure some of you will find it quite amusing that I got a bit sidetracked thinking about next Monday’s Opening Day game in L.A. I was listening to sports talk radio and before I knew it, I was headed even further north than just to work…in my mind, I was on my way to Chavez Ravine already, it seems! I had just passed the exit I take to get to work, and was into the great wide open of the 805 merge with Interstate 5 when I realized the mistake. Shocked

Trying to correct and head back south, I found myself in the middle of a major construction zone and had to be rerouted onto another thoroughfare which of course had MUCH more traffic than the regular exit I take. When I finally made it back to Point A, more than 10 minutes had passed and I still had another two miles to go on a street which carries a lot of truck traffic. When I finally got to work I was 20 minutes late, but when I told my supervisor (the Mets fan, some of you might remember) the story behind it, he just laughed. (All this for what is typically a 15-minute commute, LOL)

So that’s my essay on “why I was late for work.”

One of my coworkers (non-baseball fan, you can probably guess) suggested that as penance I be made to write 50 times on the conference room chalkboard:

I will not think about Opening Day again until April 3...

I will not think about Opening Day again until April 3...

LOL

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Thu 3/30/06 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, DB that is SO funny!! On Monday I had to go to IKEA which is about a mile or so north of CBP. As I'm driving (and staring at CBP) I almost didn't get off at my exit. It was like my car was saying "head to CPB, head to CPB". I had to cross two lanes of traffic at the last minute! I started to get the phever. Very Happy
Phanatic's Girl

PostPosted: Thu 3/30/06 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I was going to my friends house and I almost took the turn to First Energy Park. That's where the Lakewood BlueClaws, my minor league team play. The guys arrive on Monday and Tueday is an open practice for the team, I can't wait.
crzblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/30/06 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB and PhilPhan,
That is funny. Baseball is our mind. I can hardly wait for tomorrow night! I go see my beloved Bums against the Angels. D-Lowe -Ooops! wrong, he is pitching Opening day, Odalis Perez is pitching against our old pitcher Jeff Weaver. Wonder how the majoriry of the fans will receive him...boo or cheer.

I have two ways of going home, one is down the 5 Freeway and the exit to Elysian Park is right there. I was thinking sooon, I'll be exiting there again.....

Is it tomorrow night yet?!

Oh here are the festivities for Opening Day!

Opening Day Schedule of Events:

11:55 am - Players at turnstiles until 12:10 pm

12:00 pm - Hootie and the Blowfish performance - 30 minute set

12:30 pm - 1981 World Series celebration video feature on Dodgervision

12:35 pm - Parachute team begins jump into outfield area with game balls

12:40 pm - Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Award - Jeff Kent

12:42 pm - Atlanta Braves Intros

12:47 pm - Dodger Intros - Fireworks shot during starting line-up

12:52 pm - Tommy Lasorda First Ball ceremony

12:56 pm - Royal Rangers Color guard

12:57 pm - God Bless America and the National Anthem - Kristin Chenoweth

1:00 pm - Air Force Flyover

1:05 pm - Mayor Villaraigosa to present Guinness Certificate to Ron Cey

1:10 pm - Game time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LadyDodgerBlue

PostPosted: Fri 3/31/06 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crzblue......I definitely have to try and make it to next years opening day, it sounds like sooooo much fun. Smile

LDB
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/31/06 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Crzblue!

Quote:
Players at turnstiles until 12:10 pm

12:00 pm - Hootie and the Blowfish performance - 30 minute set

12:30 pm - 1981 World Series celebration video feature on Dodgervision

Comments: You mean with all the great bands they have in L.A. they had to settle for an out-of-town group like Hootie? Sheesh.

I'll remember to be in my seat by 12:30 for the '81 championship celebration, but not before.

As for players at the turnstiles, why can't they do that earlier, as I like to be in the park earlier than 12:10. Oh well, maybe I'll have to pretend I'm coming in again. Wonder who we get up there--not likely Eric Gagne will be on the top deck. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sat 4/1/06 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we got some rain and got wet for the first game against the Angels.

There is forecast of rain for Monday but a litlte rain is not going hold us back on Monday.

Go D-Lowe! Go Dodgers!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/2/06 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know at church who is a very casual baseball fan asked me today if I'm going to the Dodgers' home opener. I was like "Is the Pope Catholic?" (without saying that much)... Smile But then she presented me with a large pullover sweatshirt with the Dodgers script logo boldly emblazoned across the front of it and said, "I found this in a thrift shop this weekend...it looks like it might be your size and I thought of you so you can have this." It is in excellent condition and I ran into the restroom to try it on. Sure enough, a perfect fit, and it's beautiful. I was profusely thanking her the rest of the morning.

Then I was in Albertson's this afternoon and guess what song comes on over the PA? "The Boys of Summer." So I was walking up and down the aisles singing it to myself and thinking about tomorrow. People must have thought I was crazy. Confused

Now, I recently got myself some Wayfarers to replace the last pair I'd had, which broke, but the question is, will there be a need for them? It could be cool and partly cloudy tomorrow (stay away, rain). Evil or Very Mad

The one positive thing about having had rain recently is the air will be crisp and the sky clear, no chance of smog.

But yeah, even when I get those Wayfarers on (if I do), I'll be "smiling at everyone", especially if we win! Smile Very Happy Very Happy Wink

Got my '81 world championship cap out, too--none the worse for wear; I actually had to mend the stitching with needle and thread, it was so falling apart (!), so I'm ready. Smile

Just get me a Dodger dog, a cold beer, and Vinnie on the mic!

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/2/06 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Linda on your new sweatshirt! Remember the guy I told you that found a 1955 jersey at the thrift store?

I went to the Pasadena library to return two books and Victor found a Cd there titled "Jackie Robinson: Stealing Home(a Musical tribute.

Afterwards we stopped at the .99 store looking for a rain poncho. Too bad is orange. I found a Dodger vinyl wallet for .99.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/3/06 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad is orange.

I seriously hope you are not thinking of wearing orange anywhere near OLOCR.

Confused Rolling Eyes

By the way, it's official, the projected high temp today (61F) is the coldest Opening Day ever in the City of Angels.
Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: