Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"How I Became a Fan" - please post!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTT

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ruth and PrincessElizabeth! As you can probably tell I can go on and on about my love of the Red Sox.

Ruth - I am glad to hear that when all are gawking at His Royal Thighness that you are not above taking a peek! Whew!

The Grady Little Experience. I have a theory on that by the way. I was then and am still convinced that Grady wanted to stick it to the Y's by leaving Petey in because of the whole Don Zimmer fiasco. That stubborness in him cost us the series. IMO. Very Happy

Thanks for the welcomes! It's not often I get to chat sports with women. Quite honestly, sports is all I watch. Cool Ever. Pretty much. Very Happy

And Ruth! I am a Ruthie!
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnytrottek wrote:
And Ruth! I am a Ruthie!

Ruth, Ruthie. Oprah, Uma.
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JTT!!!
I'm DamonLovah18 from the JD board!! Nice to have you over here!! Its funny how there are so many thousands of people on the internet and I always seem to run into the same group. Very Happy

As for the Fenway experience, I couldn't agree with you more. It's so exciting every time. (and I am also one of those pre-game tek bull-pen gawkers Laughing)

On the topic of the wave...
Quote:
some drunk idiot is trying to start the wave...and won't give up until it catches on.

Plenty of those out in the bleachers...lol, but it wouldn't be the same to me without it! But I do have much more fun with the Sweet Caroline sing-along....and you don't have to worry about missing anything important. Very Happy
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I LOVE Sweet Caroline....

What is so funny is that I hear so many people tell me that they come over to the bullpen and (blush) well....I'm there a lot...say 50% of the home games....so I must have been around quite a lot of them. I give out instructions on the best way to obtain a Jason Varitek autograph, since I proudly have many...though I don't ask when there is a crowd, unless I have something really special to be signed. I had him sign the cover of the ESPN magazine (Brains Behind the Idiots Picture) and a woman on the Remy Board, who I didn't know by sight, saw me and said, "That was you!!! I wondered who had the guts to bring that to him." I didn't think it was odd at all. I've had all sorts of photos and baseball cards signed. My kids say one day he'll look up and say, "You're shut off." but seriously, I only sidle in when there is not a big crowd and I don't even think he notices whether it's the same person or someone different. Like I said...locked in.

Last season I was standing on one of the seats and fell and bloodied the bridge of my nose and had to go to the medical area. More embarrassing than painful. But as a result, I got to know Security (Steve Chin....the guy who stopped the Sheffield altercation.....a very nice young man, who gives me a hug....my adopted "son"). I know when I need to move out and when I can move back in when they are shooing people away from the bullpen...so lots of times the crowd has dispersed by the time he signs and I haven't been sent away....lucky me!!

But I just love being at Fenway Park and I love the Red Sox and I have to reign myself in from not trying to get tickets to even more games than I actually do. I work a mile away so it's very tempting....and singles aren't that hard if I decide just to walk on down....but I try to plan out my games so I don't get too tempted. Someday when I'm retired Laughing , I will try to get season tickets....

I also admit that I mostly just watch sports. I can't believe I've even watched a little golf!!!! But no Nascar yet....

Ruth
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to you, Johnnytrottek! It's great to have you posting and sharing your story. I smiled as I read it...

SKIP NASCAR, by the way. Smile

Quote:
Last season I was standing on one of the seats and fell and bloodied the bridge of my nose and had to go to the medical area. More embarrassing than painful.

Ouch! At some point I am going to start a thread about "embarrassing moments at the ballpark", as soon as I get my thoughts together on a few things. So if any of you are recalling such moments right now as you read this, save them as I'll get that underway soon.

Quote:
replaying poor Bill Buckner's unfortunate moment in time and I was like "??? Y'know, where was I when that happened??"

You know, it's funny because I remember exactly where I was when I saw it. I was in a beer garden at an Oktoberfest, rooting for the Mets (sorry--I'm an NL chick!) and listening to Vin Scully call it, and I can still recite his call exactly as it went, even today.

It is amazing how something so simple can keep a storied "curse" going for 18 more years, and even in the ugliest moments of missed opportunities, it's still part of the beauty of baseball.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I work a mile away so it's very tempting....and singles aren't that hard if I decide just to walk on down..

Thats so cool.....thats one of the reasons why I want to go to school up there. When we go now, we have to go really early because its two hours up (if we're lucky) then we have to give ourselves a half hour to park and get over there, plus going early to bullpen watch. Wink So its not really conveinent, and then there is the drive back. Sad I'd love to just be able to go when I wanted (I wouldn't mind being by myself....I love meeting new people) and get there as early as I wanted. I've never waited by the players parking lot before for autographs, but from what I hear thats getting harder to do.
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gawking at His Royal Thighness

Laughing
I loved it when the Queer Eye guys called him "Quadzilla" Laughing
Sandi

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/05 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the "Sweet Caroline" sing-along at Fenway when I visited in 2003. Had no idea what it meant or referenced, but loved it anyway.
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/05 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a minor league game tonight (New Britain Rock Cats, AA for the Twins) and they started to play Sweet Caroline during a pitching change. I got so excited....it was pretty easy to tell who the sox fans were Laughing But it wasn't nearly as much fun as Fenway.....considering my mom and I were the only ones in our section singing (and very loudly). Embarassed

here's an article about how it started
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/29/another_mystery_of_the_diamond_explained_at_last/
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/05 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the theories of people outside of Boston was that the song was play for Caroline Kennedy.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/05 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Caroline Kennedy lived in New York for years? At least that's what I thought.

So according to this article, one person says the song has nothing to do with Boston, but others say it's Boston's theme song? What do the rest of you think about that?

I'll just keep "The Boys of Summer" for us. That was the Dodgers' team nickname in the 1950s and so the song fits perfectly (even if it is about a summer romance ending).
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/05 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, she was born in NY. It's not my theory; I'm just repeating it Wink
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/05 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I've always been a Cardinal fan (multi-generational thing in my family -- my great grandmother used to sit in her recliner and listen to Harry Caray and Jack Buck), but didn't really become a serious baseball fan until roughly 1991, when I began dating my husband. My husband is a die-hard Cubs fan, which of course, makes for an interesting relationship. I didn't want to switch allegiances (blasphemy!), so I decided to become a more serious fan so that I could actually intelligently debate him. Ironically, I think I'm now a more avid baseball fan than he is. I've been to more games than he has for the past few years anyway.

My favorite player, alas, is no longer a Cardinal. Ladies, meet Mike Matheny:

However, I remain firmly convinced that he will eventually return to the Cardinals in a managerial or coaching position.

I have a 5 year old son, who unfortunately, has been brainwashed by his father to be a Cubs fan. He's still the most wonderful little boy in the world (I'm allowed to be biased, as after countless failed artificial inseminations and a couple of failed In Vitro Fertilizations, the Good Lord has informed me that I won't behaving any more). Here is a picture of my son at a Cardinal game earlier this summer:

Mommy told him he had to wear a Cardinal jersey, because he was going to get to run the bases after the game and I didn't want Fredbird to pester him for wearing a Cubs shirt (which was actually hidden underneath the Cardinal jersey). On 5 or 6 Sundays every year, the Cardinals have "Run the Bases Day" where kids 15 and under can go on the field and run the bases after the game.

Anyway, as you can tell, I tend to babble. My visits here will probably be inconsistent, but I absolutely love this idea of "females only" baseball chat.

Amy
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/05 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Amy!!!
aww...your son is a cutie!! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/05 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My husband is a die-hard Cubs fan, which of course, makes for an interesting relationship. I didn't want to switch allegiances (blasphemy!), so I decided to become a more serious fan so that I could actually intelligently debate him. Ironically, I think I'm now a more avid baseball fan than he is.

Great story! I have heard so often women tell me "I got married, and then I changed teams." Francine, aren't you one of them? Laughing Laughing

But anyway, no matter what team, welcome aboard, Amy, and I hope you will visit more often than you anticipate!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlliniAmy wrote:
PrincessElisabethRimmer wrote:
We also have "Stroll the Bases" for people 60 and up.

That's cool....I've never heard of "Stroll the Bases".

I think the Phils are the only team to do something like that. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

Let that be me. Laughing Laughing

The Chicago White Sox have stroll the bases. I was perusing their special promotional events when we played them in interleague play this year and saw that. I was telling my Mets fan friend and he said they do it, too.

And as already stated, I think all teams have kids run the bases. My nephews have done it at Qualcomm. After last Sunday's game at DS we watched the kids do it there while we were waiting for the stadium to clear.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Amy! Very Happy

Like Linda said, I'm one of those ladies who has been coaxed to the "other side" my her husband. I was a Mets fan but became a Phillies Fan because I married a born and raised Phillies boy!

I'm sorry for the problems your having concieving another child. I had my share too but I do have two wondeful kids, a daughter and a son. I'm very lucky to have them as I suffered a tubal pregnancy and a miscarriage with numerous tries to get pregnant. It seems so unfair at times. Those of us who truely want children have a harder time while others get pregnant so easy and many times we hear of abuse and abandonment to their babies. Your son is adorable and FYI I was an only child, it's not so bad Wink .......and it wasn't my parent's choice, my mom had a hard time too. Enjoy your son they grow so fast...........you'll turn around one day and he will be ready to drive............it's scary.

Welcome and join in the fun!
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francine wrote:
Welcome Amy! Very Happy

Like Linda said, I'm one of those ladies who has been coaxed to the "other side" my her husband. I was a Mets fan but became a Phillies Fan because I married a born and raised Phillies boy!

I'm sorry for the problems your having concieving another child. I had my share too but I do have two wondeful kids, a daughter and a son. I'm very lucky to have them as I suffered a tubal pregnancy and a miscarriage with numerous tries to get pregnant. It seems so unfair at times. Those of us who truely want children have a harder time while others get pregnant so easy and many times we hear of abuse and abandonment to their babies. Your son is adorable and FYI I was an only child, it's not so bad Wink .......and it wasn't my parent's choice, my mom had a hard time too. Enjoy your son they grow so fast...........you'll turn around one day and he will be ready to drive............it's scary.

Welcome and join in the fun!

Thanks for the words of encouragement on the baby front. As a former educator, I would have prefer that my son have had siblings and not been an only child. However, I've come to the obvious conclusion that it's better to have an only child than none at all.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me.
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sun 9/4/05 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy....

Welcome aboard. I kinda like Mike Methany, too, but then I'm definitely partial to catchers. As I've said....they play a really physcially taxing positin but have to be cerebral as well...and that is really something I admire...and it doesn't hurt that it seems quite of few of them are nice on the eyes....

Your son is adorable. Sorry about the fact that you haven't had luck providing at siblings. I actually had quite the opposite problem...which I'm sure you wish you had...I had three in 4 years...and my last two are just 14 months apart. It's nice now...but it was really difficult when they were all little. I had a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old when I learned I was pregnant again...and I thought I might have a breakdown!!! But now they are 17 (18 in a few weeks), 15 (16 in a few weeks), and 14 (end of November 15)...all in high school....and just a lot of fun...most of the time. Right now I have one sitting here with me...the oldest...and the two younger sons have a couple of friends asleep upstairs on their floor, who spent the night here. God knows when they went to sleep...I was definitely out before them.

Ruth
debisfriends

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CgrGrl invited me to join. I am mostly a Mariners fan but my roots are southern California teams. I grew up in a military family so we did not really get to be in one place very often. We lived in Anaheim two different times so the Angels were the team I got to attend most often. My grandmother and aunt were Dodgers fans so I am not at all against rooting for them. My aunt now lives in northern California so she has changed her main focus to the Giants and A's. I mostly have trouble knowing who to root for only when the Mariners are up against the Angels. Confused I found myself watching part of the Angels game tonight and hoping that Boston would win though because of my aunt. I guess that I have been a Mariners fan so long now that my allegiance is very different. I love baseball in general but I do not claim to be an expert in any way. I am constantly asking CgrGrl to explain what is happening on the screen. I have recently realized that I usually get to listen not watch. I work during most all of the games so in my last position I would have the radio on. This season I work in a location that does not allow that so I have to listen on mlb or just catch the score. Not nearly as fulfilling.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, DF, and thanks for introducing yourself. Anyone who is sort of on the Dodgers' side is okay by me! Smile Sounds like mostly west coast baseball for you. Can't argue with that. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
debisfriends

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi back! I don't mind being called Debi. The DF reminds me of someone else I know on another board so I didn't realize you were talking to me at first.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK.

Hi and welcome, Debi! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
debisfriends

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason CgrGrl invited me here is because she knows that one of my only avenues of friendship is through baseball chat formats. I work such terrible hours, in comparison, to having friends in the physical world. That is the main reason I would like to be called Debi. It will feel more like I am making new friends. Wink

I forgot to mention that my favorite players are generally catchers but I am also a big Bell fan with CgrGrl and I have learned to love many other cougars that are ball players through her influence. Because of watching David avidly I have a few favorites that were on the Giants team when he was and am now a pretty good fan of many Phillies. I am not too pleased with the majority of the Phillie phans but I have noticed that the ones that post here are pretty decent ladies.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a few favorites that were on the Giants team when he was

Ahem Mad I'll overlook that part...but anyway, it's nice to have you here.

Yes, we do have good Phillies phans posting here. And we have some good fans of several other teams here, too. I've had the pleasure to have met several of them in "real life" even though we are all spread out across the country, and look forward to meeting others in the coming seasons (possibly next year?).

We also have one male, Harpo--harmless as he is--and he is our co-moderator. He pretty much stays out of our way unless he has a comment or something helpful to share. Smile But the others will attest that he's a pretty good guy. In fact, a few of them have met him in person, too.

And of course he's a Dodger fan so I have to give him a plug for being that. Laughing

So if you want to meet new friends, I'm sure you'll be happy as one of us.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debisfriends wrote:
I am not too pleased with the majority of the Phillie phans but I have noticed that the ones that post here are pretty decent ladies.

Yeah but watch out for that Francine. She has questionable taste in ballplayers and has quite a few screws loose. *ducks and hides from the wrath of Francine* Laughing Wink

dodgerblue6 wrote:
I've had the pleasure to have met several of them in "real life" even though we are all spread out across the country, and look forward to meeting others in the coming seasons (possibly next year?).

Maybe, maybe Laughing I have to wait to see the schedule and where Jason is if he isn't here next season. I hope he is though.
debisfriends

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dodgerblue6"]
Quote:
I have a few favorites that were on the Giants team when he was

Ahem Mad I'll overlook that part...but anyway, it's nice to have you here.

I'm not too sure what you are having to overlook, but I am glad that you are welcoming me in to the forum. Since I don't get to "watch" much baseball, I really only get to have favorites from the teams that Debbie or my Aunt watch regularly. My only real time of "carefully" watching the Giants was when Debbie was watching David. I got very fond of several of the players that year. Some of them aren't there anymore but when I hear their name in the news, I perk up and listen.
Francine

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard...............Giants huh? I was fond of the Giants from '94-July '95 Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not too sure what you are having to overlook

See thread "Oops--who saw this coming?" This should give you some perspective on "favorites" and "Giants" being used in the same sentence.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: