Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"How I Became a Fan" - please post!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DodgerGirl1965

PostPosted: Fri 3/12/10 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzblue wrote:
PearlGirl & Dodgergirl1965,
A belated welcome!
Cari,
I read your story about Bobby Welch. As DB knows, I also loved Bobby Welch. When he was back for the 1980's luncheon celebration (was that in 2008?) , I took the mike and said the reason why he became a favorite of mine back in 1981. As I was talking he was saying "Me?" I had so much fun at the 60's, 70's & 80's luncheon talking to the guys of those decades. I could not attend the 90's as it conflicted with the WIN baseball clinic.
Emma
http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/
He was so nice Emma.I was going to the games since high school or earlier and it was just a different time then.I know at some point i'll find the photos i took with Bob Welch..Thats so cool what you said at the luncheon! Cari
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/13/10 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They must be as graceful as I am..........................

Wink
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Sat 3/13/10 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunny! I'm doing better now. Flew from Cabo to Madrid to visit very, very, very elderly relatives who may not be around too much longer. Will be here a few more days before I fly back to Houston. It is literally freezing here. In the 20's at night, and the 40's (if we are lucky) in the day time. Not a good time to be here, but since my relatives are so old, we don't really go anywhere.

I was looking up ST games on the internet and telling them about the different teams. They have tried to follow baseball but they have to work to search out info. Not the same as getting to watch the games. I told them I was going to go to learn to play curling in Houston and they laughed at me and told me I must like those games that people stand around a lot and watch others in the game. I told them "Baseball is the thinking man's game." They thought that was really funny!!!

- A Bartlett Giamatti
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Sun 3/14/10 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update. I was living vicariously through you there for a minute or so. Took me away on a much needed break from reality.

Keep on having fun....
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Sun 3/14/10 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Houston, (I just got home today) and I will give you a nice break for lunch or dinner.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/15/10 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I told them "Baseball is the thinking man's game."

And a thinking woman's game. Welcome home, Pearl!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Mon 3/15/10 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men have to "think" about it. We're smart enough to get it without thinking!
It's great to be home, and Houston finally warmed up.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
crzblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/10 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DodgerGirl1965 wrote:
crzblue wrote:
A belated welcome!
Cari,
I read your story about Bobby Welch. As DB knows, I also loved Bobby Welch. When he was back for the 1980's luncheon celebration (was that in 2008?) , I took the mike and said the reason why he became a favorite of mine back in 1981. As I was talking he was saying "Me?" I had so much fun at the 60's, 70's & 80's luncheon talking to the guys of those decades. I could not attend the 90's as it conflicted with the WIN baseball clinic.
Emma
He was so nice Emma.I was going to the games since high school or earlier and it was just a different time then.I know at some point i'll find the photos i took with Bob Welch..Thats so cool what you said at the luncheon! Cari

Cari!
Were you there at the 80's luncheon!?
Pearlgirl,
Welcome back! Hablas Espanol?
I am up early because of the earquake. Epicenter was Pico Rivera so I felt it. 4.4.
Anyone here would be interested in joining a yahoo fantasy league, send me an email. My friend started one for the first time only because she wants to play.
Emma
http://crzblue.mlblogs.com
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/10 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearlgirl,
-------------

Un poquito.

But only because of 4 years of Latin in high school and 4 years of Latin in college. But I am trying to learn now to speak it fluently.

Thanks for the welcome home. I love to travel, but love to be home too.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/10 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you post a few days ago that they poke fun of your Spanish in Mexico...LOL

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/10 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in both Spain and Mexico. But they do it with kindness because I do try. And I take the ribbing with good heart! One day I will be fluent. But I suppose I will be so old I won't be traveling any longer to use my new found skill. Maybe I'll be a fast learner..........................

- A Bartlett Giamatti
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/17/10 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to hear you had a nice trip, Pearl Girl, and that you have made it safely home.
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Wed 3/17/10 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Home is always the best. And other than the spider bite on my ankle in Cabo San Lucas, I managed to have a good trip.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
DodgerGirl1965

PostPosted: Thu 3/18/10 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzblue wrote:
DodgerGirl1965 wrote:
crzblue wrote:
A belated welcome!
Cari,
Emma

Cari!
Were you there at the 80's luncheon!?
Pearlgirl,
I am up early because of the earquake. Epicenter was Pico Rivera so I felt it. 4.4.
Anyone here would be interested in joining a yahoo fantasy league, send me an email. My friend started one for the first time only because she wants to play.
Emma
http://crzblue.mlblogs.com
Emma,i always miss the fun stuff..I am going to TRY and make it to some fun stuff this year! If i had known about it i would have gone!! Laughing Cari
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Sat 3/20/10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl Girl wrote:
Men have to "think" about it. We're smart enough to get it without thinking!
It's great to be home, and Houston finally warmed up.

I love that. Cool

I have always thought that a ball game is more instinct than anything else. Like you said, we don't have to think. It comes from the gut and from the repetitive practice of doing it.

Most of you here no doubt remember Steve Finely right? Well, to me he was one of the most natural players who plays just on instinct and basic fundamentals of the game. If a player just follows those basics, and not deter from them, then he/she will be a consistent and thereby successful player.

Unfortunately, in the modern day game of baseball, basics are boring and do not fill seats. Basics do not produce long balls galore or a 62 homer season, or 755 home runs.

sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 3/20/10 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't stop there though, I agree you really do have to "think" about baseball because there is so much strategy involved the average casual fan will not see. They have no idea why the pitcher is doing one thing or another and get impatient when he doesn't just throw the ball down the middle of the plate, and they can't understand a lot of what is going on "behind the scenes." That's why the people who just don't "get" the thinking part and want only action, think of baseball as "boring."
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/22/10 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most of you here no doubt remember Steve Finely right?

I love that you still spell his name that way. Smile I agree with both you and Sunnyblue. Fundamentals are great. but it does take more than that. I once was trying to explain it all to an Iranian co-worker who hadn't really been exposed to baseball much, and he was incredulous there was so much going on in the "game within the game."

But then yes, by the same token, you can get all the strategy down pat and if you don't execute with sound fundamentals, none of it makes any difference.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Mon 4/5/10 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone I have been "missing."

I was bitten by a spider on vacation and then when I got home I was bitten by a mosquito. I've never had a reaction from a mosquito bite before but this time I got hives every where. BIG, red, itchy hives. The Dr. said it was a reaction from the spider bite and until all the toxin was gone from my body I'll keep having a reaction. Had to take lots of meds that literally left me almost asleep for 4 days. Hives are gone and I am back to my ole pale self.

A few days later my granddaughter left one of her very little toys on the floor (the plastic trunk to a tree) and I stepped on it and it punctured the bottom of my left foot badly. (Almost like the clown stepping on the unicorn on that commercial!!!!!) Had to go to the emergency room for stitches.

Then my youngest daughter (22 yrs old) had to go to the hospital for chest pains. She was there for three days. Turns out when she was sick and vomiting she broke some ribs. But it took them three days to decide that.

Then my brother-in-laws mom passed away and I had to fly to LA for two days for the funeral.

I am back now, and as healthy as I'm going to be, or as my daughters say "just one big accident waiting to happen, AGAIN."

Hope you are all well, and that you enjoyed Opening Day of MLB. For me, seems that all the teams I root for lost; with the exception of the Braves beating the Cubs. I always enjoy a good 'ole Zambrano melt down.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/5/10 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a run of bad stuff for your family. Maybe it will be over for awhile.

I love a Big Z meltdown too!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/9/10 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of all your troubles! Crying or Very sad
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Fri 4/9/10 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I have used up all of my bad karma for the year and the remainder of the year will be better.

Not so for the Astros. Went to the game tonight against the Phillies. Astros got shut-out 8-0. Second time they have been shut out. No wins yet. Team looks not good at all. Best BA is a newbie from the minors. Everyone else looks lost at the plate as though they have never seen a bat before and have no idea what to do with a bat.

Astros Ace, Roy Oswalt suffers from a very bad back, which is already giving him trouble. BP is less than desirable. Lance Berkman keeps having to have fluid drained from his bad knee. It's going to be a VERY Loooooooooooooooooong season for the Astros.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/27/10 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wrote back to this before but wanted to check in again, myself. Not for anything bad, I was just gone from computers because I was staying with my BF's family in LA for a week (during the first home games of the season for the Dodgers). We were out at games, then doing other stuff and so I was hardly there except to sleep. I had taken a couple of weeks off. We ended up doing some hiking, while keeping tabs on the games, but made the most of our time off doing some driving around the central CA coast and other things. Neither of us carry a laptop. I did check email when possible, but this is really the only time I've had since coming back to say hello again to you all. I'm back at the job though but feeling a bit more relaxed after a good vacation.

Quote:
It's going to be a VERY Loooooooooooooooooong season for the Astros.

And it is also starting to look like it will be that way for the Dodgers too.
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Wed 4/28/10 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello............................where is everybody else????

Is everyone crazy busy with work, life AND watching all those baseball games?

I ended up not being able to see any out of market baseball games on my TV after paying AT& T for more, so I had to get a subscription of MLB.TV BUT now I can watch 2,436 games LIVE on my computer this season.........................no time to eat, sleep, work, clean my house, or anything else. Guess I'll have to miss a few games.

Been to a about 6 Astros games this season, so far. They are hot and cold. No in between.

The Reds are in town so today we got to see our friend Mike and visit with some of the other Reds players and their families. Nice, nice people, those Reds fans and players.

Come on Dodgers, I'm counting on you to provide my baseball highlights this season.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/28/10 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see you both back! I am trying to follow how Mike is doing tonight and it seems he did fairly well. I was also happy to see Aaron doing well. I shouldn't be saying these things to an Astro fan. Sorry. Has anyone heard from River dunes rat?
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Wed 4/28/10 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. No problem. I grew up a Dodger fan and you never give up the team of your childhood. Do you mean Mike Leake? As usual, the Astros make every pitcher look like Cy Young material.

We are friends with Mike Lincoln, so we go to his games to support him! He has not gotten in the last two nights, but we expect he will on Thurs. At the end of the game while the relief pitchers were walking in from the Bull Pen, we got to visit with Mike and he gave my daughter a baseball. He is such a nice guy.

And yes, Aaron did well on Tues. Not sure ever what Astros team will show up to play. At least they keep us guessing and we don't get bored. But they will be pretty darn embarrassed if they lose three to the Reds. Roy Oswalt pitches on Thurs. He is one tough, tenacious guy. I'll pick Roy over Arroyo IF THE ASTROS GIVE ROY RUN SUPPORT. Generally, he gets none!

- A Bartlett Giamatti
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Wed 5/26/10 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl Girl wrote:

I was bitten by a spider on vacation and then when I got home I was bitten by a mosquito. I've never had a reaction from a mosquito bite before but this time I got hives every where. BIG, red, itchy hives. The Dr. said it was a reaction from the spider bite and until all the toxin was gone from my body I'll keep having a reaction. Had to take lots of meds that literally left me almost asleep for 4 days. Hives are gone and I am back to my ole pale self.

A few days later my granddaughter left one of her very little toys on the floor (the plastic trunk to a tree) and I stepped on it and it punctured the bottom of my left foot badly. (Almost like the clown stepping on the unicorn on that commercial!!!!!) Had to go to the emergency room for stitches.

Then my youngest daughter (22 yrs old) had to go to the hospital for chest pains. She was there for three days. Turns out when she was sick and vomiting she broke some ribs. But it took them three days to decide that.

Then my brother-in-laws mom passed away and I had to fly to LA for two days for the funeral.

I am back now, and as healthy as I'm going to be, or as my daughters say "just one big accident waiting to happen, AGAIN."

Hope you are all well, and that you enjoyed Opening Day of MLB. For me, seems that all the teams I root for lost; with the exception of the Braves beating the Cubs. I always enjoy a good 'ole Zambrano melt down.

Sorry to hear all that. But what about your vacation anyway? Perhaps you wrote about it in another thread that I haven't gotten to yet, but in any case.....I haven't read it yet. Glad yer back and moving toward health again.
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Thu 5/27/10 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!! How are you doing? Have you wrapped up all the Census info you were working on, or is it a long process?

I am much better now.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/10 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to have been missing for so long. I have been dealing with a sick aunt and uncle on the West Coast and GOOD NEWS too!

My uncle is 99 and is finally starting to show signs of ill health. Hope we all last that long AND remain healthy like him. Anyway, they wanted to move him to a home and he didn't want to move.

Then his wife became ill. She needed a new pace maker at age 92. They did not know if it was safe to give her a new one, risk surgery, etc. Guess pace makers were not built years ago to last so long. I have been flying back and forth from Houston to the West Coast to help my family deal with my aunt and uncle, and be with my aunt and uncle too.

So far, all has seemed to work out well. In fact ,I was on the West Coast when I got word to come back to say bye to Roy who would be traded any day. He and I became friends a few years ago when I presented him with his Pitcher of The Year Award at the Baseball Writer's Assoc. of America dinner. So BOO, the Astros are now Roy-less and Lance-less. Hopefully, their willingness to be traded will help the Astros (but I doubt it, since they still have the same owner!!)

GOOD NEWS NOW!!!!!!!! I AM A GRANDMOTHER AGAIN!!! Last night (really Sat. a.m.) Madelyn Aimee was born in Houston. born Aug. 7, 2:13 A. M., 7 lbs. 2 oz., 19 inches long.

Welcome to the newest little baseball fan!!!!! I'm sure like her mommy, big sister (4-year Ceci) and her aunties and Grandma and Grandpa she will become a good fan of baseball. We can drag her daddy in to fandom!

Hope you have all been well. Now I should have no impediments to be positng on her more often.

GOOOOOOOOOOO TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

- A Bartlett Giamatti
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/10 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO! I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK! I've really missed you here!

Congratulations on your great news! I had been meaning to get back to you and check back to see if there were updates on "Rella." Smile

I do indeed remember your presentation to Roy and I am sure there is a void there in Houston without him.

Once again, welcome back! Best wishes to all in your family.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/10 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go to LA two times lately. They wanted to put my little, old frail 99 year old uncle in a home, and he would have none of it. He is still as sharp as tack, and only just started having health problems. So I flew out to help out my cousins try to reason with him, and I came away thinking "Gee, this guy is 99, has never really been sick and wants to live out the rest of his life at home. He has earned the right to live and die at home." He will have his 100th birthday in Nov. Then I flew back to Houston.

Then my little ole aunt got sick, (my 99 year old uncles wife). So I flew back out. Turns out it was only an old pace maker. She wore hers out!! Turns out they only had to attach a magnet to it so that it would work properly. Then I got a call to fly back to Houston as Roy was getting ready to leave.

Broke our hearts to lose him, but anything is better than him being stuck with the dead end Astros. Same week Lance got traded. Worst Week EVER! But the Stros got some young 'uns for both, so we shall see if the trades were fair or lop-sided as some think. Sports pundits were saying it was bad for the Stros on both trades. I was SO HOPEFUL the Dodgers would acquire Roy. That was my hope of hopes. Not to be though.

Stopped by to see "Rella" tonight. She is Madelyn Aimee. One day old now. And a real beauty! Her BIG sister is enchanted with her, and promises to help in all ways BUT NOT with dirty diapers. Spoken like a true princess.

Hope you are all healthy and happy and that your teams are making you happy. Padilla sure pitched a gem the other day. Kudos to him. Poor Martin with his injury that seemed such a freak accident. But this seems to be the season for freaky accidents in MLB. Brad Ausmus is prepared to do all he can to step up to the plate, so to speak!!! The Dodgers are in good hands. I was sad to hear that he had announced his retirement. I think his body aches have finally caught up with him. Not bad at all to go all those years without being on the DL.

If the Dodgers can't win the WS, I am rooting for the Reds, since they are doing well, and our friend Lincoln, is a RP. This many be his last year in MLB too, so we'd love to see him get some kind of ring. He already has a NLDS ring from when he was with the Cardinals the year they lost the WS to the Red Sox. So I'd love for him to get a WS ring. Not sure if they are strong enough, but Votto is looking good!!

It should be an exciting end of the year for most teams. Hope the Dodgers pick up the pace.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: