Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relievers Starting by Plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 5/24/18 4:11 pm    Post subject: Relievers Starting by Plan Reply with quote

I wondered since it has been coming up a lot what other opinions are of teams starting relievers just for an inning like Sergio Romo did for the Rays against the Angels last weekend. It sounds like a pretty crazy idea and was causing some controversy. I am on the fence about things like that.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/24/18 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard about this, I assumed Romo was starting the game as a bullpen spot start, not realizing what the plan involved.

Yes, it is a crazy idea, very unorthodox--but that's a risk the Rays were willing to take. It could have backfired on them big-time.

The thinking is supposedly to avoid having the starting pitcher go through the lineup three times. That's certainly unconventional considering I grew up at a time when the starter was expected to go nine as routine.

But I'm for a team doing whatever it needs to get a win, within the rules (and civility). Smile We've seen some unusual things from Doc over the last couple of years; the way the game is managed is changing for many.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/30/18 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So mlb.com has this interesting bit about relievers starting - linked here - and by the way did you see how he got lit up for 3 runs in the first inning a few days ago? Though this link does talk about more than just relievers but other crazy moves a manager can make.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/30/18 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath, in a year-end recap on MLB.com, I read this article about the Rays' "game-changing revolution."
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 2/11/19 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I do not particularly like Mad Bum but I give it to him on his comments about using an "opener" - article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/12/19 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I loved that, too!

I'm sure Clayton feels the same.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: