Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prepping for Success - 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/19 10:06 pm    Post subject: Prepping for Success - 2019 Reply with quote

Well, we know it's February when not only has NCAA baseball begun regular season competition, MLB has started playing exhibition games, but also coming up quickly is prep baseball across America. USA Baseball has announced the field of 16 for the NHSI to be played, as always, in Cary, N.C. next month. This will be the eighth annual edition of this tournament, and the 16 teams will include four from Socal (Huntington Beach, Harvard-Westlake, La Mirada and Orange Lutheran). That's it, no Mater Dei this year...

And meanwhile, did this completely pass me by last summer? Boomer has resigned as Point Loma's head coach due to time constraints, after four seasons mentoring the Pointers.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/28/19 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hear about that, either. Under the radar news.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/1/19 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, Linda.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alert! Did anyone else hear the dates of the Lions tourney were changed? Instead of being played during Easter Week, this year it will take place next week, March 25-29.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know about that. I haven't volunteered for the tournament in several years, but at least it won't interfere with all the Holy Week events I attend.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/22/19 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is so sad about the Bonita Vista baseball community and another sad death involving depression - linked here
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connor Oca of San Pasqual is one of the top catchers in the SD CIF this year. Nice article about him in the U-T
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/29/19 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good article from the U-T, this one about Islanders outfielder Kyle Phin - linked here He is a multi sports athlete but is focusing on baseball.

I am not sure what kind of geography they teach in these high schools but for some reason Coronado is in the Eastern League which as the article touches on, is very deep.

And going back to the Lions Tournament, after all that concern about it changing dates, the tournament organizers decided not to! It will be played during the week before Easter like usual. I am glad for that!

Here is the schedule - linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/29/19 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath, thanks for the updates in this thread, even though I haven't posted back in awhile. I appreciate the articles about local talent and especially the clarification on the Lions Tournament. I had to find out from someone else in the great S.D. baseball community, since the Lions' website is so inadequately maintained. And evidently they figured out that the rescheduling wouldn't work quite some time ago, because that had to be decided in enough time to allow out-of-town teams to plan for and make travel arrangements. Now, maybe I will get to attend one or more of those games.

Thanks also for sharing the link to the touching article about Jake Palet. As much awareness as they can call to that story, the better to help prevent it happening to others. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/1/19 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHSI starts this week!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/12/19 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be off a couple of days next week and plan to catch some Lions Tournament action - if anyone else is interested may be we can coordinate a game - let me know.

By the way Orange Lutheran won the NHSI - 3 years straight! Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/16/19 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny and I got out to see a game - Westlake over Silverado (Vegas). Nothing particular we picked that one for but they were the teams playing closest at the time we were both available. Colby Downard threw a complete game for Westlake.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/21/19 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we got out to see St. Augustine beat Clairemont, 4-2 in the championship game for the Classic Division at Hickman Field. It was a very "local" game because of it being Hickman's home field and located in Clairemont. There were so many out of town and some out of state teams playing at other venues but I wanted to see some of the area talent. Saints K Fisher Pyatt was named MVP.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/7/19 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for Dylan Dennis!

The Southern Section DI playoffs have started, and you'll note that both of EK's kids get some mention in the following article.

But really? Is a high school hit a "career"?

From the L.A. Times:

"Dylan Dennis Delivers Game-Winning, Two-Run Double for Mira Costa"
By ERIC SONDHEIMER
MAY 02, 2019 | 7:35 PM

Dylan Dennis delivers game-winning, two-run double for Mira Costa

Since he was 10, Dylan Dennis has played baseball with most of his Mira Costa High teammates on fields and diamonds in Manhattan Beach. With the start of the Southern Section Division 1 playoffs on Thursday, everyone knew their time together could end at any moment.

So there was Dennis at the plate with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, a three-and-two count and his team down by one run against San Juan Capistrano JSerra.

“Honestly, I wasn’t good all day,” Dennis said.

He rose up to deliver the biggest hit of his career, a two-run double that enabled Mira Costa to rally for a 3-2 victory and keep its season alive.

“I knew he was a good pressure hitter, but that was something else,” shortstop Chase Meidroth said. “It was crazy.”

Things looked pretty bleak for Mira Costa. Gage Jump, a sophomore left-hander for JSerra, had a no-hit shutout for 5 2/3 innings while striking out 10. He retired the first 13 batters in order. The Mustangs were down 2-0 when Jump was pulled because he had thrown 95 pitches. In came Jared Glenn with two outs and one runner aboard in the bottom of the sixth.

Nick Carpino greeted him with an RBI single. Kyle Karros followed with a single. Up came Dennis.

“That kid, Gage Jump, was really good,” Mira Costa coach Keith Ramsey said. “I feel for the team that has to face him the next two years. We couldn’t get ahead of him the whole day. I give credit to our guys for battling. That’s why you have 21 outs.”

Dennis lined the two-run double down the left-field line. Karros was going on the pitch and scored from first base for the go-ahead run. Players came out of the dugout to celebrate. With one swing, a certain defeat would soon turn into a certain victory, because standout senior pitcher Jared Karros would throw the seventh. Karros had a one-two-three inning to send Mira Costa into a second-round game at home against Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Tuesday.

“We’ve done blood, sweat and tears together,” Dennis said of his longtime teammates. “We’re getting another day and another couple practices. I’m glad I could keep everyone together.”

The 32-team field is down to 16. Tuesday’s match-ups:

Orange Lutheran at Etiwanda; Studio City Harvard-Westlake at Chino Hills Ayala; Aliso Niguel at Lake Forest El Toro; La Puente Bishop Amat at Huntington Beach; La Mirada at Palm Desert; Notre Dame at Mira Costa; Yucaipa at Valencia West Ranch; Cypress at Mission Viejo Capistrano Valley.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 5/9/19 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our neighbor was telling us about an article in the Times about Jared Karros pitching. I know you must have seen it. Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/10/19 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one:

"Jared Karros of Mira Costa Shows His Family Has More Than Hitters"

By ERIC SONDHEIMER
MAY 07, 2019 | 6:50 PM

At 6 feet 6 and 185 pounds, Jared Karros is nothing like his father, Eric, the 1992 National League Rookie of the Year with the Dodgers. Jared is the first pitcher in the family, and what a baseball player he might become.

In his first playoff start, Karros struck out 10 batters, didn’t walk any and led Manhattan Beach Mira Costa to a 2-1 victory over Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Tuesday in the second round of the Southern Section Division 1 playoffs.

“This is my second year ever pitching,” the UCLA-bound senior said. “I love it. I love the competition.”

He gave up an unearned run in the first inning. Mira Costa tied the score in the bottom of the first on a single by Dylan Dennis. The Mustangs took a 2-1 lead in the fourth on a single by Nick Carpino.

Karros kept throwing strikes, leaving Notre Dame with few scoring opportunities.

“I was impressed,” Notre Dame coach Tom Dill said. “I’m surprised he was so polished because that’s not what was told to me. I didn’t realize he was that good.”

The one scare Karros got was in the seventh inning. With a runner aboard, Lucas Gordon sent a pitch to deep right field that was caught in front of the fence.

“I thought it was out of there,” Karros said, "but no one hits home runs to right with the wind blowing in.”

Mira Costa advanced to a game Friday at No. 4-seeded La Mirada, which defeated Palm Desert 8-2. The Mustangs will have to face La Mirada ace Jared Jones.

Eric Karros sat quietly near the top of the Mira Costa bleachers. His other son, Kyle, had two singles for the Mustangs.

“He says he’s more nervous when I pitch than when he was in the playoffs in the big leagues,” Jared said.

@latsondheimer
USC commit Lucas Gordon with a nice scare for Jared Karros. Came close to tying two-run home run. B6, Mira Costa 2, Notre Dame 1.

Tuesday’s games did not get completed without controversy. Valencia West Ranch filed a protest with the umpires before the first pitch of its game against visiting Yucaipa, alleging the Thunderbirds violated the Southern Section rule banning pregame batting practice. Yucaipa won 1-0. West Ranch intends to submit video to the Southern Section, coach Casey Burrill said.

“I thought we were fine,” Yucaipa coach Ralph Grajeda said. “We were doing normal soft toss off to the side. We had four rows going. Nobody was throwing overhand. They took a video. I felt we were within the rule."

Said Burrill: "We will accept whatever decision comes from CIF. It's as clear-cut as can be. They put diagrams in the CIF rulebook. You can’t be at any angle."

There was drama around the Southland. Aliso Niguel defeated Lake Forest El Toro 1-0 on a ninth-inning home run by David LeBoida. Quinn Mathews struck out eight batters in 3 2/3 innings of relief.

Huntington Beach pulled out a 2-1 win over La Puente Bishop Amat on a walk-off single by Jag Burg. Cypress defeated defending Division 1 champion Capistrano Valley 2-1 with a two-run home run by Luke Davis in the seventh inning.

Orange Lutheran pitchers have not given up any runs in 14 playoff innings after a 4-0 win over Palm Desert.

In Division 2, El Segundo defeated Arcadia 3-2 in 11 innings.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/13/19 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, Harvard-Westlake beat Orange Lutheran!

And how about this from the L.A. Times:

"Harvard-Westlake’s Pete Crow-Armstrong Has Become a Hitting Machine"
By ERIC SONDHEIMER
MAY 12, 2019 | 9:10 AM

In the batter’s box, Pete Crow-Armstrong exudes an aura of self-confidence. You can see it in his body language — the movement in his hands, the firm posture in his stance, the tipping of his helmet toward the dugout to signal “I got this.”

In 112 at-bats this season, the Studio City Harvard-Westlake junior center fielder has struck out just six times. He has 46 hits as the leadoff batter, with five triples and three home runs.

Southern California has produced hitters the likes of Royce Lewis (San Juan Capistrano JSerra), Nick Pratto (Huntington Beach) and Blake Rutherford (West Hills Chaminade) in recent years. All three were first-round draft picks. Crow-Armstrong will surely join them in 2020.

“He’s a very cognizant player,” Harvard-Westlake coach Jared Halpert said. “He’s taking in things. He’s watching previous at-bats. He’s formulating ideas and plans and he’s willing to have small failures for that larger picture of success. You don’t do that as a high school player.”

He expects to get on base every time he bats but has learned to not take it personally when he occasionally fails.

“Baseball players are humans. They struggle,” Crow-Armstrong said. “As a hitter, I struggle the most with committing to an approach. That’s where I show my immaturity. I get away from myself and try to do too much. Studying the pitchers throughout the game is hugely important.”

An example of Crow-Armstrong’s growth could be seen on Friday in a Southern Section Division 1 quarterfinal playoff game against No. 1-seeded Orange Lutheran. He opened the game against his former USA 18U national teammate, Max Rajcic, by striking out. Some in the crowd had come to see this matchup of potential future stars.

"Max has a great arm and is a talented pitcher,” Crow-Armstrong said. “I wasn’t planning to go four for four with four home runs. I went in with the mind set we had to work him and attack him.”

By the bottom of the seventh inning, Harvard-Westlake trailed 3-1 and Rajcic was no longer pitching. Crow-Armstong stood in the batter’s box with the bases loaded against closer Evan Adolphus. He was the same pitcher who beat the Wolverines in the championship game of the National High School Invitational in April in Cary, N.C.

“As much as we had a chip on our shoulder from last time, we had a chip on our shoulder seeing him warming up,” he said. “We didn’t want him to beat us again. I went up there with a plan.”

He hit an RBI single to right field with two strikes. That helped the Wolverines rally for a 4-3 victory and send them into a semifinal game on Tuesday against Huntington Beach.

Crow-Armstrong, 6 feet 1 and 175 pounds, credits lots of his success to his coaches as well as former Harvard-Westlake outfielder RJ Schreck, who is now at Duke. The two met at Sherman Oaks Little League. Schreck challenged Crow-Armstrong every practice at Harvard-Westlake. Schreck hit .480 in his junior season. Crow-Armstrong, then a freshman, paid attention.

“He was simply better than me,” he said. “He took me under his wings. It’s nice to have a player who can push and challenge you.”

Crow-Armstrong’s competitiveness, strong work ethic and natural talent have put him in position to be recognized as one of the best teenage players in America. But he’s in no hurry to leave high school. He’s 17 and taking in every day as a learning experience to prepare for the future.

“The rankings are a great honor and gesture, but I don’t try to think about it too much,” he said. “I’m trying to milk the time with my friends on the baseball team. These could be the last times I step on the field with some of my best friends. I want to play for the seniors.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/18/19 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CIF Southern Section championship games for Divisions I, II and III are being played at Dodger Stadium today.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/19/19 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked 2 events in the last few days so I have not had a chance to catch up on how all the CIF SD playoff games went. I do know Helix junior Thomas Caneday had a no-hitter and beat LCC, 3-0, in the Open Division. So congratulations to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: