Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE! - 2019 EDITION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 10:06 pm    Post subject: RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE! - 2019 EDITION Reply with quote

Yes, here it is! Another edition, as I prepare for a train ride north early tomorrow morning.

Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks. Zack taking the mound for Arizona while Ryu gets the start for L.A. Perfect weather with a cloudless sky forecast for Chavez Ravine.

Unwrapping the ribbon on a brand new season.

Go Dodger Blue!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/28/19 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on our way to L.A.!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/29/19 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as usual, I'm behind on posting my recap! The Dodgers won, of course, and the second game of the series will begin shortly. I'll be back later!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/30/19 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I was hoping to get past Game 2 of the season before having to write a draining game report on what turned out to be not only the Dodgers’ first extra inning game of 2019, but the longest regular season game (in terms of time) in Dodger Stadium history. But this one was full of those crazy twists that remind you never too soon that “baseball is back.”

At first glance: Ross Stripling on the mound for L.A., Robbie Ray with the ball for Arizona—well, as everyone knows, Ray is the pitcher who has most owned the Dodgers over the last couple of seasons. And Stripling is still searching for some consistency as a starter after going back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen last year.

Starting on Opening Day, for the first time in what seems like forever, the Diamondbacks’ roster doesn’t contain notorious Dodger-killer Paul Goldschmidt, and for the first time ever, the Dodgers’ roster contains former Diamondback A.J. Pollock. So of course it would make sense that Pollock came through with four hits, including his first Dodger home run (a solo shot), to give the Dodgers a lead against Ray. And Stripling pitched well, into the sixth inning with a shutout, only to see the vaunted bullpen—specifically new acquisition Joe Kelly—give up not one but two Dodger leads. Yes, the guy who was plucked away from Boston for his successful role in high-leverage situations in relief—not a good beginning to his hometown stint.

KJ was welcomed back enthusiastically by the fans, but didn't get a save situation. Yimi Garcia, who had actually pitched in Thursday’s game, was summoned in the due to lack of pitching options, and eventually surrendered the winning run. Six hours, 12 innings. Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 4.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/31/19 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an 18-5 win over the Diamondbacks last night, the Dodgers will try to seal the series this afternoon, as the month of March comes to an end.

Maeda pitched into the seventh for L.A., allowing three runs (all solo homers), while the Dodgers knocked around Zack Godley for an un-godly seven runs. They then teed off on the Diamondbacks bullpen, and with a ninth inning pitching stint, Russell Martin--yes, Russell Martin--took the mound and recorded three outs to notch the win.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 3/31/19 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be looking forward to your report on today's game!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/1/19 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a nice comeback in the eighth!

Walker got his first start of the year and clearly didn't have his best stuff, but A.J. came to the rescue--again--and a Max Muncy sac fly put the Dodgers in front, 8-7. KJ sealed the win with his first save of the year and looked to be in fine form.

Bring on the Jints!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/1/19 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a deflating setback as the Dodgers lost to the Jints, 4-2, facing their archrivals for the first time this season. I was excited to watch Julio Urias pitch, and he did quite well, but for five innings only. Then Joe Kelly struck...again!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/3/19 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a lot better posting about the second game of the series, because the Dodgers won! But it was not without drama!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First homestand of the season over, come-from-behind victory over Jints.

Now, first off-day of the season, and then a road trip beginning in Colorado.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies, I have to ask you a question because I do not understand how it was that Ryu started an opening day a few years ago, which you said earlier. I thought Kershaw had 9 straight opening day starts? This is confusing to me.

I guess it is good for us all that our teams both had great opening series. I knew those Water Hoarders would be bad but I did not think this bad. It has been a pleasant surprise to see them lose 5 of their first 7.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified, Ryu started the home opener the year I was referencing. Clayton would have started the regular season opener, which was on the road.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/13/19 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a trip back to the Ravine would be magical, but sadly, it wasn't, at least not for anyone besides the Brewers. Milwaukee won the series opener, 8-5. Dodgers trail first place by two games.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/14/19 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad The skid hits six...not much to rave about here!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/15/19 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streak is over! They won!

Going for two tonight! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/16/19 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenomenal evening at the Ravine! On the cool side (game time starting temperature was 59, dipped to 57 by the time it was all over).

Of concern--Cody's knee HBP causing him to sit out tonight's game.

Of elation--CK's strong start and Joc's walk-off home run to win it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/16/19 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got to attend a terrific game.

The slide was frustrating and losing the series to the Brewers, but now they've won 2 in a row. So maybe back on the right track? I agree the pitching dynamics were thrown off. But a great game pitched by Clayton last night and so nice to have him back. I have faith they are going to figure things out. We've seen it happen a lot over the years where they have us worried and then do something to correct the problems. And Cody - that hurt so much to watch! He'd better be okay. We need him desperately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: