Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jackie Robinson Day - 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/15/19 8:30 am    Post subject: Jackie Robinson Day - 2019 Reply with quote

I'll make this brief and report back later--Happy Jackie Robinson Day!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/16/19 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrating Jackie's day is always special. But even more so with Rachel Robinson and (gasp) Vin in attendance! What a special evening!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/16/19 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched on TV. I'm so happy Mrs. Robinson is still doing well and in good enough health to travel and do so much for the JR Foundation. I'm happy she was back in her hometown last night.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/17/19 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were at Jackie Robinson Day for the Padres-Rockies game at Petco Park. I thought the East Village Times had a nice tribute to him - linked here

Jackie Robinson YMCA scholars were at the ballpark for the pre-game ceremony. The Padres also honored Johnny Ritchey who was the first African American player for the PCL version of our team, in 1948. Several members of his family were there and threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Some of the coverage commented that there are no African American players currently on the Padres. But they have 9 Latino players (mostly from D.R. and Venezuela) who were grateful to these pioneers like Robinson & Ritchey for opening doors for them.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/22/19 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments...I'll have some more updates here, later.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/24/19 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this fascinating bit of history on the Baseball Hall of Fame site.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: