Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spirit of the Game Awards - 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/14/20 6:32 pm    Post subject: Spirit of the Game Awards - 2020 Reply with quote

Well, another January is here and it looks like we've all again missed the PBSF Awards Dinner, held this past Saturday night in Beverly Hills. It was another virtual "who's who" of baseball royalty alongside the unsung heroes of the game--the scouts.

Some of my favorite highlights listed:

Quote:
(Former Astro Jeff) Bagwell, introduced by former teammate Brad Ausmus, was one of numerous Hall of Famers participating in the event at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, the 17th annual gala for the organization founded by Chicago White Sox executive and former player agent Dennis Gilbert.

...Hall of Famer Jim Thome presented the Legends in Scouting Awards to Grady Fuson of Oakland...[and others]

And there's where I make mention of congratulations to another former Komet! Wish Alan had presented it to him. Smile

[quote]Commissioner Emeritus Bud Selig, also a Hall of Famer, presented the Executive Leadership Award named after him to Phillies president Andy MacPhail, a third-generation baseball executive whose father, Lee, and grandfather, Larry, are the only father/son Hall of Famers.[/url]

How is it that I didn't know this bit of trivia about the McPhails? May have to update the "Family Ties" thread. Smile

Quote:
Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda’s Managerial Achievement Award was presented by Oakland "A"s General Manager David Forst to his manager, Bob Melvin. “As a kid, I was in awe of Tommy,” said Forst, who grew up a Dodgers fan. “He was larger than life, beloved by his players and fans, he was what a Major League manager was supposed to be. After nine seasons working along tonight’s recipient of this award, I can confidently say Bob Melvin also is what a manager is supposed to be.”

...Hall of Famer Don Sutton received the Player Lifetime Achievement Award, presented by Chicago White Sox All-Star and Los Angeles resident Lucas Giolito and accepted by Sutton’s longtime Dodgers teammate, Tommy John.

“I had his surgery,” Giolito said of John, “and I highly recommend it.”

Laughing Laughing

Quote:
...Award-winning journalist Peter Gammons, also honored by the Hall of Fame in 2005, received the In the Spirit of the Game Award, presented by longtime television host Larry King.

Congratulations to the honorees.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 1/20/20 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never seen a computer know somebody’s heart.

Best comment ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: