Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padres 2020 - Better Late Than Never
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/29/20 12:22 pm    Post subject: Padres 2020 - Better Late Than Never Reply with quote

Storylines to watch this season - linked here

I feel like I am back in February or March wondering about some of these things. They are a bit different now because of the changed and shortened schedule so I think all teams will be in the same boat that way. Nobody will know what to expect over only a couple of months.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 7/22/20 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paddack will get the ball for my Padres at Petco Park, against the Diamondbacks, on Friday night. MadBum will make his first start for his new team.

Here are some of our 1st year manager Jayce Tingler's thoughts about how everything will be day-by-day - article from U-T
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/24/20 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Opening Day, Padres fans!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 7/25/20 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish I could have been downtown last night! It seems like a shame to have such beautiful weather and not be able to take in a ballgame.

Chris Paddack rose to the occasion, Eric Hosmer stepped up and my Padres beat MadBum, 7-2! Good start!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/26/20 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padres are now 2-0! Great start by Dinelson Lamet following Chris Paddack. They beat Robbie Ray this time, with both Manny and Wil Myers homering.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 7/28/20 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/27/20 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First loss of the season for my boys yesterday, but a rare late loss, final score 4-3. Sad G-Rich had a fine start, 5 scoreless innings, 1 hit, 6 Ks and it was an unusual bad outing for our bullpen which is typically one of our strengths. Emilio Pagán gave up 2 in the eighth, and Kirby Yates, 2 more in the ninth. Last game of the 4 game series today.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 7/28/20 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/27/20 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you beat MadBum and ruined his debut for Arizona. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 7/28/20 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bases loaded triple by El Niño in yesterday's game helped my Padres to a 6-2 win and they took 3 of 4 from the Diamondbacks. CQ got the win in the last game of the series after taking over for Joey Lucchesi who started. Now heading out on the road for the first time this season to play the Water Hoarders!

Recap of the inaugural series
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/28/20 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing how much better they are doing with OBP in the first few games after being so low in that for so long. I only saw 1 of the games and that was the Friday season opener.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 7/29/20 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far that is 5 solid starts by our rotation - a 1.82 ERA the first time through it. Last night it was Zach Davies beating the Water Hoarders, 5-3, with El Niño homering in Oracle Park. Padres are 4-1 for the first time since 1997. I know, little things count, Lol.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/31/20 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been happy with our 3-1 (so far) road trip while taking the series in S.F. over those Water Hoarders, then moving on to play the Rockies on the road. The only problem is our bullpen is usually our strength and has been a problem the last 3 games. It was good the team was able to bail them out in 1 of those games but Kirby Yates has not looked sharp lately. Sunny, you mentioned OBP, that was a big problem to address since it was an issue for so long but Jayce Tingler and staff have been really working with the hitters - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/1/20 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're clicking, and Jayce Tingler has to get some credit.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/3/20 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I last posted they did lose the series in Colorado - but you never know what to expect when you are playing at Coors Field anyway. Confused And the Rockies are holding down first place for at least today.

Tonight, my boys will be back at home hosting the Dodgers. I see a good match up of 2 young pitchers at the top of their games - Chris Paddack for S.D. & Walker Buehler for L.A.

Go Padres!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/4/20 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raul & I enjoyed watching the game from home, but we sure wish we had been at Petco Park for that one last night. It was a close one throughout, had lead changes and home runs and a little bit of small ball. It did not seem like either Chris Paddack or Walker Buehler were at their best, but I can see this being a match-up of pitchers for years to come.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/4/20 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good game--very competitive.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/5/20 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to tip my cap to Dinelson Lamet. What a start!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/5/20 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am quite pleased with the rotation but the bullpen has been a little puzzling! They are supposed to be our strength but have had a few hiccups & we are not even 2 weeks in to the season. Lamet made it to the 6th in the game last night before giving up a hit, and we did end up with the loss, but I look for the silver linings.

I like the way Jayce Tingler is running the team, and I think the guys just want to prove they belong on the same field, but still respect the Dodgers deeply.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 8/11/20 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/7/20 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That series was a good test for my boys, though they won only the first game. They were in all 3 games and I think it was clear they were more prepared than in some of their recent seasons.

They get the Diamondbacks back into Petco Park tonight to start a new series. In a short season you can see the same team a home twice in just a couple of weeks!

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 8/11/20 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Niño has managed to stay hot with 2 home runs, although my boys took it on the chin in last night's loss to the Diamondbacks. Chris Paddack suffered another loss, 3-2. My Padres had won the first game of the series, 3-2, with a terrific start from Zach Davis.

Eric Hosmer was reactivated before Saturday's game and Abraham Almonte was optioned. We are just now starting a stretch of 17 games without a day off. It starts on the road this week with 4 games in L.A., then 3 in Arizona and 2 in Texas.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 8/11/20 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/10/20 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers, we are coming for you! Last week was a warm up.

Yesterday, my Padres figured out a way to make it scary, but they won the rubber game of their series with the Diamondbacks, 9-5. The bullpen was again a problem giving up so many runs late but thankfully the bats had built up a 9-0 lead early on 6 home runs! El Niño hit 2 and is now tied for the league lead. But another big story was Dinelson Lamet taking a no hitter into the 7th inning after taking one into the 6th on his last start. He seems to get sharper each time out.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Tue 8/11/20 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/20 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullpen rose to the occasion in the first game of the series at Dodger Stadium. I was a bit worried about a bullpen start, especially with Luis Perdomo being the "opener." In the end, my Padres won, 2-1. It was another close & hard fought game between the 2 teams. Dustin May did great for the Dodgers again but my boys managed to eke out a second run to break the tie. And Austin came up big with his first home run of the season! Very Happy Still 3 more games of this series!

Also, congratulations to El Niño! He was named NL Player of the Week for last week! Very Happy Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/20 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deserved honor for him!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/12/20 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say I am pleased with this series so far. Manny's grand slam was a highlight after he had GIDP earlier. Pitching was strong again.

A couple of articles:

Padres are a must watch team from mlb.com

Stolen bases is one of the reasons. It also gives reasons why not to second guess the front office on some of those moves they made.

Also, Bryce Miller's column from the Union Tribune about El Niño - linked here

Go Padres!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/14/20 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I will take the split after we got our butts handed to us last night. Chris Paddack started, and looked horrible after my boys had already given him a 2 run lead in the first inning. He will bounce back I am sure. So they went from winning 2-0 in the first inning to losing 11-2 in the end. Before the game, Jorge Mateo was called up and got the start in right field. Ty France was optioned to make room. Article from padres.com

Tonight my Padres start a series in Arizona. It will be the third series with the Diamondbacks already this year.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/14/20 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to tell you the truth I was more concerned about Dodger bats facing Chris Paddack and about Julio Urias coming up against Padre hitting. It's weird how those things start and then progress.

Two series between our teams so far and you still haven't faced CK! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/15/20 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess in a sense we have been fortunate so far.

The news out of Arizona this weekend has been mostly bad for my boys. First, even though Dinelson Lamet had another gem in the first game of the series the bullpen blew it. Then in the second game, the tying run was thrown out at the plate to end the game and the Diamondbacks won 6-5. El Niño of course had a good game and added another home run. He is just such a joy to watch play, he loves the game so much. He has a real passion not just for being his best in so many different ways with so many talents - but just for doing whatever he can do to help the team win.

Closer Kirby Yates has gone on the IL with right elbow inflammation and my Padres recalled RHP David Bednar.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Thu 8/20/20 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/16/20 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to back 1 run losses at Chase Field, and now my boys travel to Globe Life Park for 2 games with the Rangers. They are below .500 for the first time this year. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/16/20 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diamondbacks have been catching fire this week. Remember how well the Padres handled them in two previous series until this weekend. As long as you're ahead of the Battery Chuckers you're good. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/17/20 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2 more weeks, you will have a better idea of how consistent your boys will be. That will be the halfway point of the season.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/18/20 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a way for my boys to get untracked after a 5 game losing streak. They are playing in Texas and took out all their frustrations on the Rangers beating them yesterday, 14-4. El Niño stays en fuego with a grand slam and now leads the majors with 11!

Today, they played a day game and won again, 6-4 so that makes it 2 in a row. Now, they will come home for 2 against the Rangers at Petco Park.

Bad news - Outfielder Tommy Pham will miss 4 to 6 weeks with a broken left hand. The injury happened in Arizona when he swung at a pitch in the game on Sunday. Catcher Francisco Mejia was placed on the IL too (left thumb contusion). Infielder Ty France (yay!) has been recalled and so was catcher Luis Torrens to fill those roster spots.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Thu 8/20/20 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: