Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padres 2020 - Better Late Than Never
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/19/20 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bounceback in Texas. Can you believe it's almost at the halfway point of the season?
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/20/20 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it was that my boys lost last week, they have gotten it back in this series with Texas! Now the team is back at Petco Park and Manny gave us the excitement last night with a walk off grand slam in the 10th - after the bullpen blew it.

They are the first National League team to hit grand slams in 3 straight games, which was kind of surprising to me. First time since 1895! Article from padres.com

I like reading stories about how this team has come together with a new attitude and the younger guys are willing to learn from veterans. In the case of this one it is Tommy Pham who has helped with hitters being patient in their at bats, especially 2 strike counts. Article from Union Tribune

Also - El Niño leads the majors in home runs, with 12! Very Happy
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/21/20 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Slam Diego!

My Padres made it 4 games in a row with a 4 run home run last night against the Rangers! This time it was Eric Hosmer who hit the slam. The bullpen saw hard times again but the boys scraped back to win, 8-7, walk off style. That was a 4 game sweep over the Rangers and now that other Texas team the Astros (Asterisks*) is in for the weekend!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/21/20 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's been pretty impressive; just glad the Rangers are the poor team on the losing end. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/23/20 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are steamrolling through Texas teams this week! Twisted Evil

That is 2 wins over the Asterisks* this weekend and going for the sweep today. After our record 4 games with a grand slam, my boys won Friday for the series opener but did not have a slam in that game. But they were back to those ways last night with a grand slam from Jake Cronenworth, which was 1 of 6 home runs hit overall by my Padres in that game. They won the game, 13-2. Trent Grisham had 3 home runs alone!

It might not seem like a big deal but with a 6 game winning streak, this is the longest they have had since 2013. Maybe we can make it 7, and sweep the Lone Star State, today! Our team has been exciting to watch over the first month of this season.

Drew Pomeranz has been put on the IL with shoulder strain. He has been the most reliable relief pitcher out of our unpredictable bullpen, so far this year. Luis Perdomo was recalled.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/25/20 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am pretty happy with where my team is now after 1 month of the season is over. On Sunday they swept the state of Texas playing all games of that week against the Rangers and Astros and running the table to 7-0.

Manny was named NL Player of the Week. We will have the Mariners in for 3 games at Petco Park starting tonight.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/26/20 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow talking about baseball seems unimportant but to update this thread, my boys lost to the Mariners last night when Chris Paddack struggled again.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/27/20 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the field for my boys today at Petco Park and they split the doubleheader.

El Niño is back in the major league lead for home runs with #13 today in the first game. It landed on the roof of the Western Metals Building which only one player has done before, Hunter Renfroe - article from padres.com

Also, Manny homered twice. But it was Wil Myers' 3 run walk off blast that won it for my Padres, 10-7, as they had to come from behind again.

Game 2 was not quite as fun. G-Rich gave up 6 runs in the first inning to put the guys in a hole, and Manny homered (for the third time in the 2 games) but my boys lost, 8-3. They will play in Coors Field this weekend and it would be nice to see how El Niño does there, or Manny since they are both really raking right now.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/20 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my boys have won 2 of the 3 games played in Coors Field to start their road trip this weekend. The middle game was lost (by the bullpen!) in a tight 4-3 game where the Rockies came from behind. But the first and third games of the series saw explosive offense which you might think you would see at Coors. They scored 10 runs on Friday and 13 today. Chris Paddack also had a nice win limiting the Rockies to 2 runs in today's game.

When they leave on the road trip my boys will go to play 3 on the road in the AL West - 2 in Anaheim & 3 in Oakland. We are aiming to just keep playing our style of baseball and keep nipping at the heels of the Dodgers.

One thing to be concerned about. LHP Adrian Morejon was supposed to start on Saturday but was suddenly put on the IL with no reasons given. LHP Drew Pomeranz was reactivated as he was about ready to come off the IL anyway.

The Padres' home page says, "The nature of Morejon's ailment remains unclear, and Padres manager Jayce Tingler said he could not divulge the specifics." Of course people are suspecting COVID but Tingler is saying it will be announced soon why and how long he will be out.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Mon 9/7/20 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/31/20 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be an interesting last month! Your team has made a lot of people take notice in the first month.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/31/20 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heeeeeere come the Padres!

We see you.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 9/1/20 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, ladies, I love what has been done to improve the team, and my boys finished off the Rockies, 6-0 last night, have a night off now, and start play in Anaheim tomorrow.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/4/20 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres split their short 2 game set in Anaheim. The first game they took advantage of the Angels' bullpen and broke open a 3-3 tie, late, scoring 8 runs in the 8th to win 11-4. In the second game all I can say is the Halos sent Andrew Heaney out and really shut down our bats. I have not ever seen him pitch that well before, although I know he has the talent. Mike Clevinger was making his first start for us, but he took a tough loss, 2-0. I still liked what I saw. Now, we are on to Oakland.

Catching prospect Luis Campusano is being called up for this series. Meanwhile RHP has been placed on the IL with right forearm inflammation. I am glad Campusano is getting a chance now, as he was left untouched after all the wheeling and dealing was done last week.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Mon 9/7/20 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/7/20 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys took the series in Oakland this weekend, losing the middle game when Chris Paddack struggled again. In the first game the Padres won 7-0. El Niño continues to dazzle everyone! He is a legit MVP contender for the first time for our team, since Ken Caminiti in 1996. He is now tied for the major league home run lead with Mike Trout of the Angels. Now, we get the Rockies, Battery Chuckers and - ta-da! the Dodgers! - at home starting with tonight's game at Petco.

Go Padres!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/7/20 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week will be key as far as the Padres staying within striking distance and capitalizing on their recent performances, and the Dodgers regrouping after two consecutive losses. That should be a real showdown at Petco.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/9/20 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but until then, the goal is just to win one game at a time. Like the last first couple of games of this series. They were very different games, one was a pitchers' duel and the other a rout. In the first game Dinelson Lamet was terrific again. He Ked 11 Rockies in 7 2/3 innings. Greg Garcia opened the 9th inning with a pinch hit single and was pinch runner Jorge Mateo was doubled home by Jurickson Profar for a 1-0 win. That gave Drew Pomeranz a W in relief. On the Rockies side Kyle Freeland held our guys down pretty well in 6 innings only giving up 3 hits. The next day's game was won by my Padres, 14-5 for Mike Clevinger's first win here. It was a whole lot different from what he saw when they scored no runs for him in Anaheim last week! Slam Diego is back with Wil Myers' grand slam in the first inning! They just kept pouring it on with 10 runs in the first 2 innings and knocked the Rockies starter Chi Chi González out of the box. My Padres now have 7 slams this year and their season record is 10 - which they could match even though this is about 1/3 the number of games of a regular season.

Also my boys are 10 games over .500 for the first time in many many years!

Our 1Bman Eric Hosmer was placed on the IL because of a fractured finger and outfielderAbraham Almonte was recalled.

There is a lot to be excited about for us in this short season!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 9/9/20 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still a few more days to have you guys cool down! They can't be scorching forever. Razz
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/10/20 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still winning at this point though, and they just swept the Rockies. Smile Zach Davies had another super start last night. His record is 7-2. And we get the Battery Chuckers for 4 games now at Petco Park before we welcome in the Dodgers for 3 next week!

A fun story about Mike Clevinger getting a gift from Tony Hawk to reward him for his first Padre win - from padres.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/11/20 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won the first game of the series and now with the Dodgers losing my Padres have cut the gap to 3 games. I know some here will not be happy about that Twisted Evil

Chris Paddack left last night's game after 2 innings with a sprained ankle so everyone is holding their breath on that. There are questions though even if he comes back would he make the playoffs roster. Paddack was seen as our ace to start the season but has not been consistent enough. His ERA is 4.74 and that is the highest of all the starters. I knew our rotation was going to be good but I am quite happy with the addition of Mike Clevinger which made it even better. Anyway after Paddack left the bullpen picked up & did a great job so the boys won, 6-1.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/11/20 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!!!! Padres-Jints cancelled tonight, and who knows after that?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 9/12/20 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to this weekend. Some things are more important than baseball though - life. And keeping others safe who are close to those in baseball.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/12/20 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope everything is going to be OK. We're only 2 degrees of separation.

Love the Tony Hawk "welcome" gift!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/14/20 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say I was both shocked by the 2 games being cancelled and felt some concern over exposure to COVID. That left 2 games on Sunday for a doubleheader and the fourth game of the series is still unplayed. Mike Clevinger is looking like a super pick up every time out. My Padres swept the doubleheader yesterday and now await the Dodgers' arrival at Petco Park!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/14/20 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Dodger ladies, I was hoping for a win tonight but I sure did not expect the final score to be 7-2. Starting pitching was super for both teams. A couple of Dodger errors did not help your cause but even without them I thought our boys took advantage of the bullpen - and they did capitalize when they had chances on the errors. Nice to see (for me, I know, Lol) - the rest of the series is anyone's guess.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/15/20 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was well deserved for your team but I'm sure you are aware Trent Grisham was taking a lot of heat from the Dodgers for his antics. I'm not saying it's a big deal to me but all those years the Padres complained about Yasiel they may be finding they have someone with the worst of his way of playing. According to Clayton it was not as big a deal either, but Clayton is all business anyway.

The pitching was terrific for both teams until the 7th. I felt bad for Clayton it unraveled so fast. The Padres were really amped and the Dodgers seemed less so. I hope that lights a fire under them. They can't afford to have more ho-hum games and not take every play seriously. But since this is your team's thread I won't go any more into that. Great job by Lamet. You have a gem in him.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/16/20 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we know about Grisham upsetting some people. My boys are really excited in this short season - they did not fade and they hope to make a big splash in the playoffs. This is the first real excitement San Diego has seen in many years (since 2010) so please excuse a little bit of over celebration. Grisham will probably learn from that anyway.

A great start by Zach Davies was wasted last night and my Padres lost, 3-1. This is the type of game we have come to expect from these 2 teams. Just 1 more to go, and that will be this afternoon at Petco Park.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/17/20 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can be said but my Padres gave it their all even though they lost the game yesterday and the series, and the season series to the Dodgers. I noticed the Padres have been winning the first game of most of these series, but then the Dodgers roar back whether they are playing at home or on the road. Jeff wrote in the U-T that the Padres are closer to where they need to be but not on the Dodgers' level yet - article linked here

The Dodgers also did manage to keep El Niño a little quieter than usual. "El Niño stops storming" according to the U-T headline, Lol.

Now we have an unusual thing happening, my boys were set to travel to Seattle for a series this weekend. But because of unhealthful air quality due to the wildfires in their area, the series has been moved to Petco Park. Article from Union-Tribune

So, they will not have to travel and will stay at home to play a road series. And if this happened last weekend I am not sure what they would have done, because the air quality was pretty here, then.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 9/20/20 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your team is pretty close to being in the playoffs, so good luck. I noticed Lamet is pitching today so I bet you're excited about that.

I think the Dodgers feel the Padres are a worthy opponent in the division but like the links you posted, they don't have the experience the Dodgers do, but they're not far behind. In a couple of years that might be a different story. I've enjoyed seeing our teams play each other this year, though.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 9/20/20 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting news we have been waiting for and finally we can say it - my Padres are in the postseason for the first time since 2006! That was a very long wait. They took the series from the Mariners this weekend including an extra inning win today. RHP Clevinger was scratched from yesterday's start with tightness in his right biceps. We really need him for the playoffs so hopefully it all works out good. Luis Patiño made his first major league start instead,

More good news, Tommy Pham and Eric Hosmer are back with the team and RHP Luis Perdomo and catcher Francisco Mejia were optioned to make room for them.

Also RHP Austin Adams has been activated as he was received in the trade with the Mariners last month but was on the IL. We will get to see what he has now and how he might be able to help our bullpen or even try to make the playoffs roster.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/23/20 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a sad 2 game series my boys just lost at home - to the Angels. Mike Clevinger started for our guys today and was out after just 1 inning due to biceps tightness and will be getting an MRI. The biceps problem was why he was scratched from his start against Seattle last weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: