Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravin' from Afar - Dodgers 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/22/20 12:03 pm    Post subject: Ravin' from Afar - Dodgers 2020 Reply with quote

This thread will track the Dodgers over the course of 60 games.

They open their season tomorrow night at Dodger Stadium hosting who else but the Jints. CK will be making his franchise-record eighth Opening Day start for L.A., with Johnny Cueto taking the mound for S.F. It's a different scenario than has been the case the last several years, in which it almost seemed like state law that CK could face no other pitcher than MadBum.

A new era begins in more ways than one.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 7/23/20 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the name of the thread! I know we all wish we could be there raving at the Ravine! Hopefully by season opener of 2021 we can!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/23/20 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, scratch that! Clayton will NOT be making his ninth Opening Day start and has been sent to the IL with back stiffness. Rookie Dustin May will get the ball instead.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/24/20 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One down, 59 to go! A 6-1 win will work for me on Opening Day!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/24/20 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/25/20 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers were 2-0 on the season after last night's game, but suffered their first setback of 2020 today. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/27/20 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unhappy getting a split with the Battery Chuckers. Now our guys go on the road to...Houston!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/28/20 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'll take it--a win over the Asterisks* at Minute Maid Park in the first match-up between the two teams since Game 7 of the 2017 World Series.

Walker Buehler took the mound for his first start of the year on his 26th birthday, but didn't go deep enough for the win. The Dodgers scored five runs in the fifth, including five singles to take a 5-2 lead, which ended up as the final score.

From dodgers.com:

Quote:
Bad blood lingering from 2017 simmered in a tense sixth inning. Dodgers reliever Joe Kelly threw a ball-four behind the head of (Alex) Bregman, spiked Michael Brantley covering first base, threw a wild pitch high and tight to (Carlos) Correa before striking him out, then made mocking facial expressions walking to the dugout. Words were exchanged and the dugouts emptied, with warnings issued to both clubs but no ejections.

I find this mildly amusing since Kelly wasn't even on the 2017 Dodgers, nor was he on the 2018 team, either--in fact, he was on the opposing cheating team, at that time the Red Sox. I wish someone could explain to me why we've welcomed Mookie, David Price and Joe Kelly so openly given their Boston championship was also illegitimate to many fans.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 7/29/20 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol! It's true it wasn't as gratifying as it could have been but still - I think it was a statement and Joe Kelly may have made up for all the grief he caused us last year. Also, in a short season everything seems like it's more urgent and right now we're almost into August. If it was a regular season we'd be looking at this being the third half of the season. Going to be interesting if the league can keep things going and contain the COVID.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/30/20 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ravin' continued as the Dodgers swept the brief two-game set in Houston, last night's game lasting 13 innings with both teams capitalizing on the "automatic runner" rule.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/1/20 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following their brief two-game sweep in Houston, the Dodgers moved west to take on the Diamondbacks at Chase Field in a four-game set. They were successful in the opener, 6-3, a game in which they surprisingly solved long-time nemesis Robby Ray, who's had a tough time out of the gate this year. Corey, A.J. and Mad Max all homered for L.A., and Ross Stripling looked solid in his second start of the season.

They might have won the second game as well, given they had a 3-1 lead in the eighth with new Dodger Blake Treinen on the mound, one of five who relieved starting pitcher Tony Gonsolin. Zac Gallen completed six innings for a quality start for the Diamondbacks, surrendering solo home runs to Mookie (his first as a Dodger) and Corey.

After David Peralta singled in AZ's second run, Treinen and the Dodgers elected to pitch to Christian Walker with the bases loaded, who doubled to drive in all three for a 5-3 Arizona lead.

Following Julio Urias' start tonight, CK will get the ball for his first start in 2020 tomorrow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/3/20 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet weekend ladies - no reports since Saturday? I will be watching your Dodgers for sure tonight while they play in Petco Park. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/3/20 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I disappeared yesterday, but the Dodgers did win their last two games including CK's gem yesterday.

On to Petco Park!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/4/20 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready for the second game of the series, after the Padres beat the Dodgers, 5-4, last night in the series opener.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/4/20 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, I liked tonight's game much more than last night's, but they were both good contests between two good teams. Despite the peskiness of it, I like the fight the Padres have put up in both of the first two games. Tonight, Dustin May threw six solid innings for the Dodgers, allowing two runs, while Dinelson Lamet took a no-hitter into the sixth inning. That's when things unraveled for him, and the Dodgers took a 5-2 lead off of three Padres relievers. Again, no start for Mookie. And a pretty good performance by the Dodgers' bullpen corps to hold San Diego back in the late innings.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/5/20 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a good series, and I've really enjoyed both games. A.J. came up big for us last night, Dustin May was terrific, and they had to grind out another win instead of cruising. That's gutty baseball.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/5/20 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Dodgers won tonight, 7-6, and didn't you know it was going to be another wild one? Very Happy CT3's throw nails the runner at the plate and the Dodgers win by a hair.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/8/20 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jints were back at Chavez Ravine last night, where they took a 7-2 drubbing from the Dodgers, who welcomed Mookie back to the starting lineup. Julio Urias started for the home team, but, just as was the case in his previous start, didn't pitch too efficiently. Fortunately the bullpen picked up the slack in the fifth inning, while L.A. hitters pummeled Jeff Samardzija, on the mound for the Battery Chuckers. Mookie, MadMax, Will Smith and the ever-evolving Edwin Rios all homered for the Dodgers. Doc says Rios is the most improved player from the beginning of winter training through Opening Day, and he's playing like he still deserves a roster spot, starting at third to give Rojo Chingon a night off.

Of concern to the Dodgers was the early exit of red-hot Corey, who departed in the third inning due to lower back strain. But early indications are that it's nothing serious.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber game of the series will be played today at Dodger Stadium, following a 5-4 loss to the Water Hoarders last night. The match-up we expected to see on Opening Day, CK vs. Johnny Cueto, finally materialized two weeks later, and Cueto most definitely outpitched Clayton.

The longball became CK's downfall as S.F. took a 5-0 lead to chase him by the fifth, and while the Dodgers managed to cut it close, they fell short--final score Jints 5, Dodgers 4.

Not to be overlooked is the fact that Cueto was working on a no-hitter in the sixth inning when Kike hit a fly ball to left fielder Hunter Pence, who lost the ball in the "twilight", by the time he recovered, Kike was on third base with a generous triple to break up the no-no. Cueto seemed a bit unnerved, and from that point forward lost his control, walking back-to-back batters before surrendering a three-run shot to Rojo Chingon.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pence had to be very embarrassed! I watched that highlight a few times before I could believe what I was seeing. When I first heard an outfielder had misplayed the ball I assumed it was one of their younger players since they have had so many newbies over the past couple of years. I almost forgot he was back in his old position.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was a crazy play because it was not even close to where he thought the ball was.

Does it sound weird to have the season already be 1/4 over? We usually have to wait 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks to get to that point.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dodgers host the Padres this week. I bet we see the same intensity from both teams.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By virtue of winning today's game in come-from-behind fashion, the Dodgers took the series from the Jints, but of concern is their horrible hitting with RISP this weekend. Today, all Dodger runs were scored via home run, and most Dodger runs in the series were scored via round tripper.

Walker Buehler took the mound for L.A. and again, didn't look sharp, although he was very efficient with his pitch count. Although walking three and hitting one batter, he didn't surrender a hit until the fifth inning, and by then it came back to bite him that the lone hit scored two runs courtesy of two gift baserunners. Jints starting pitcher Kevin Gausman threw a quality start, but after leaving the game in the seventh, the Dodgers did their damage. A three-run shot by A.J., and another three-run shot in the eighth off the bat of Mookie, were enough to give KJ a comfortable lead as he took over in the ninth. Although "California Love" looked more true to form today than it has recently, it was a non-save situation for him, and the Dodgers won, 6-2.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/10/20 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our teams seem to be playing pretty evenly so I look for a really good series at Chavez Ravine the next 4 games.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/20 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers lost to the Padres in the series opener, 2-1, but the anemic Dodgers offense was an issue as much as it has been a few times in recent memory. You can't even necessarily credit the Padres' starting pitcher, either, given it was a bullpen start and Luis Perdomo, of all options, pitched the first inning. (Perdomo's career ERA against the Dodgers hovers around 8.) He loaded the bases in the first with nobody out and the Dodgers managed to eke across only one run, and that's the way it stayed for the rest of the game as a succession of Padres relievers finished them off. Dustin May took the mound for the Dodgers, and looked excellent again, giving up only two runs over six innings for a quality start. But that was it--the story of the game being another close pitching duel. For a guy who wasn't on the Opening Day roster, May has risen to the occasion, already making four starts and proving to be more consistent than the veteran arms. I'd say these two teams are very well-matched right now.

Well, back up and at it again tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 8/16/20 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/20 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not feeling really good about our team right now. I'm sure they will right themselves but for the time being I don't see them doing the little things they've been known to do to win games. It's almost like they've slacked off if they can't hit home runs.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/12/20 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me, neither. Last night's 6-2 loss didn't make me feel much better. Ross Stripling started for the Dodgers and didn't have his best stuff. Manny's grand slam expanded what was already a 2-1 Padres lead. Two Dodgers throwing errors had led to unnecessary baserunners who scored. L.A. then tacked on a run in the ninth, but too little, too late. For the Padres, G-Rich held the Dodgers in check. It was pretty much an all-around team fail.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/12/20 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I just heard Joe Kelly's suspension was reduced by 5 games. So that seems more fair.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/13/20 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing about that on every post-game show, so I'm glad it's over.

I certainly felt a lot better after the Dodgers' 6-0 win last night put them in position of earning a split with the Padres if they prevail in this evening's game. With their dismal performance the previous two nights, it was encouraging to see even two runs scored off Padres starter Zach Davies. But another big storyline was the call-up of and first start of the season for "El Gato", rookie RHP Tony Gonsolin. (In a corresponding move, LHP Adam Kolarek was optioned.) He impressed with what we saw of him late last season, and I look forward to watching him develop. El Gato made it into the fifth inning on a strict pitch count, holding the Padres scoreless on eight strikeouts. And what do you know, the Dodgers actually played small ball to spot the kid a two-run lead. They walked, they bunted, they executed a safety squeeze. Later, Rojo Chingon tacked on some insurance with a three-run homer off Padres reliever Craig Stammen in the eighth. That gave the Dodgers a 6-0 lead, which was the final score.

Oh, and let's not overlook KJ coming into the game with the bases loaded and no outs in the ninth...just like an old school closer!...and escaping unscathed. Not a save situation, but even more impressive!

Julio Urias was originally slated to start last night's game for L.A., and has been bumped to take the mound tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/14/20 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And that move worked out better than I expected.

Julio Urias started for the Dodgers and promptly surrendered two first-inning runs on back-to-back solo shots. Chris Paddack got the ball for the Padres and imploded early, as L.A. batters amassed six home runs over the course of the game--three by Mookie alone! Corey Seager was back in the lineup for the first time in three days, and also contributed a longball. Hey, even Austin Barnes chipped in for one!

Now, it's on to Anaheim for the Freeway Series.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/15/20 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his third start of the season, it was vintage Clayton we saw against the Angels in Anaheim last night. Dodgers win, and catching prospect Keibert Ruiz has been called up, while Will Smith has been placed on the IL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: