Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravin' from Afar - Dodgers 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/16/20 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers took the second game played in Anaheim, as well, but in the fashion I don't really like--"phantom runner" style.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/16/20 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that's a three-game sweep in Anaheim and the Dodgers move north to S.F.

Dustin May turned in another fine start for L.A. today and his teammates backed him offensively, although it was yet another fifth-inning departure for a Dodgers pitcher. Reliever Scott Alexander got the win, while Angels starter Julio Teheran fared poorly and exited the game by the fourth. Corey, MadMax, Matt Beaty and Keibert Ruiz all homered for the Dodgers. Final score Dodgers 8, Angels 3.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/17/20 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers went on a roll after those 2 tough games with the Padres last week. I'm a bit worried about Walker but I'm sure he'll be back on track since he was behind schedule. Clayton will have to carry the ace title for a little bit longer, unless Dustin takes over. Smile Also starting the series tonight in Seattle, we will get to see Corey and Kyle Seager play against each other at the Major league level for the first time.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/18/20 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, the Dodgers started a four game "home & away" series against the Mariners, which as Sunnyblue notes, was the first game ever in which the Seager brothers faced off. I actually questioned that when I first heard it said that they hadn't yet at the major league level, but was reminded that when the Mariners played the Dodgers in 2018, Corey was hurt so was not involved in that series. So, this particular meeting was historic in that sense.

I didn't particularly expect the game to be a slugfest, but the Dodgers outlasted the Mariners, 11-9. Let me first voice my concern about starting pitching. Ross Stripling got the ball and lasted only three innings in this one, surrendering six runs. Between Walker Buehler, Stripling and Julio Urias, the guys behind Clayton and Dustin have looked off-and-on rusty and rarely able to get through five innings. Fortunately, the saving grace has been the depth of the Dodgers' bullpen, which mostly kept them in the game last night (although giving up three more runs to Seattle). KJ did give up a solo shot in the ninth last night, but his ERA remains under 1, as is the case with three of the other four relievers to plug in the gaps for Stripling. Stripling's start was easily the least effective of all Dodgers pitchers in this young, but growing old, season. On the other side, though, Mariners starting pitcher Justin Dunn was knocked out by the second inning, so the game was essentially on the backs both bullpens.

Offensively, Mookie, Corey and Kike homered, but the Dodgers found other ways to score as well, with small ball accounting for their other five runs. I'll post more about the Seager brothers' feats in the "Family Ties" thread.

Late afternoon game today, because both teams have a "getaway day", so heat may be a factor considering L.A. has had above-average humidity the last several days. Tomorrow and Thursday, they'll play at Safeco Field (OOPS, T-Mobile Park!).

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 8/20/20 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/18/20 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you couldn't have played two more different games. After Monday's high-scoring contest, we ended up with a pitching duel that was scoreless until the sixth inning. Even stranger, since this game had more of a mid-afternoon start in searing heat, one might have expected the ball to be more lively at Dodger Stadium, but then--that's baseball.

El Gato threw six more innings of scoreless ball for the Dodgers--that's three starts in a row without a run crossing the plate--then was relieved by Scott Anderson and Blake Treinen, giving KJ the night off in a tight one.

For the Mariners, Marco Gonzales allowed only a single sixth-inning run on Rojo Chingon's RBI single, over seven innings pitched. In the top of the seventh, Seattle tied it at 1 off Dodgers reliever Jake McGee.

And this time for L.A., one of the heroes at the plate was also key on the basepaths. Catcher Austin Barnes, who has struggled offensively, not only hit 2-for-2, but walked as well, and it was the eighth inning bases on balls that led to the winning run. Austin stole second for his first stolen base of the season, and was singled in for the go-ahead run by...man of the series, Corey Seager.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I read this tidbit on dodgers.com (bold print mine):

Quote:
Mookie Betts went 0-for-4 Tuesday and still got props from the hero of the Dodgers' 2-1 win over the Seattle Mariners at Dodger Stadium, Austin Barnes.

Scuffling with a .091 average 10 days ago, Barnes has a seven-game hitting streak that has raised his average to .304. And, by the way, he has been taking tips from you-know-who.

And since there's a stat for everything, how about this one:

Quote:
Working quickly in the heat and hitting 98 mph with his fastball late, (Tony) Gonsolin became the first pitcher to start a season with three straight scoreless starts of at least four innings apiece for this 131-year-old franchise since Wheezer Dell, who did it for the Brooklyn Robins in 1916.

So that's seven straight wins for the Dodgers. Two more in Seattle, then they'll return home for a big test against the Rockies.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/19/20 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it was good to see someone other than Mookie with the big hit. And Mookie is a great influence on his teammates from what we're hearing.

I say put El Gato in the rotation if Stripling can't get it together, and I believe Walker will definitely get it together. I don't know what they're going to do when Madera gets back.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/19/20 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, El Gato was optioned again today! Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/20/20 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it had to come to an end, and the Dodgers' seven-game winning streak did just that in Seattle last night. Mariners starting pitcher Taijuan Walker & Yucaipa native threw seven strong innings for a quality start, and Julio Urias, on the mound for the Dodgers, didn't make it past the second inning as a succession of relievers was called on in what passed for another "bullpen" game. Dennis Santana took the loss as the Mariners prevailed, 6-4. Solo home runs off the bats of MadMax, Joc and Cody accounted for three of the Dodger' four runs plated.

And striking out for the final out of the game was--a Seager, in this case, Corey.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/21/20 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Dodgers took three of the four games from the Mariners this week, but the big story last night was CK. Vintage CK, starting LHP for the Dodgers. That's what Seattle faced, as the venerable southpaw limited its offense to one run on four hits with 11 strikeouts, over seven innings. In fact, it was Kyle Seager's home run that was the only blemish on his performance, as L.A. won, 6-1.

Yusei Kikuchi got the ball for the Mariners and took the loss after surrendering four runs in the third. Only one of the Dodgers' runs was scored via home run (a solo shot by Cody in the eighth, off reliever Ljay Newsome).

Jake McGee and Adam Kolarek finished off the Mariners, but as mentioned above, it was all about Clayton, and the milestone he marked during the game. He passed Hall of Famer Don Drysdale into second place on the Dodgers' all-time K list, and now trails only "Little D", Don Sutton, for the all-time record. In fact, CK is the only pitcher in the top five on that list who is not yet a Hall of Famer. So, congratulations!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/22/20 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First team to 20 wins! Very Happy They're our Dodgers. In the long run it means nothing but it's been an enjoyable first month of the season.

Walker returned to the mound for L.A. as they opened a homestand against the Rockies at Dodger Stadium last night. And that was the Walker we've come to know, the Walker we've missed in his first few starts, and the Walker that dazzles when he's in control. Perhaps he was inspired by CK's magnificent performance the night before--who knows. He struck out 11 over six strong innings, allowing one run over four hits.

The Dodgers' offensive production was spread throughout the lineup, as they scored four runs (with zero homers!) off Rockies starter Jon Gray, and tacked on another later, for a 5-1 win.

KJ pitched a solid ninth inning in a non-save situation, but I have to comment about how good it is to see him pitching consistently well, feeling healthy, and contributing regularly while reclaiming his stature among the top closers in the majors.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/22/20 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with their record when you think about how 3 of their top hitters are under .200 over the first month, and only two starting pitchers have been super consistent.

Mookie didn't even play yesterday just so he could have a day off after carrying the team so much. They still somehow figured out how to win. I liked how Doc called it giving him a "spa day." Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/23/20 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers clawed their way to another win last night, with Cody's walk-off home run being the difference, 4-3. The big hit came off Rockies reliever Daniel Bard.

Since I missed watching it at home, I imagined the moment from this description on dodgers.com:

Quote:
Cody Bellinger hit a walk-off home run Saturday night. He just didn’t see it or know how to celebrate it.

...It was Bellinger’s seventh home run of the year, but the first of his career that he lost off the bat. He didn’t know where it was going, couldn’t tell if it cleared the fence -- and the glove of leaping right fielder Sam Hilliard -- and wasn’t sure what the celebration protocols were when he finished his trot.

“I thought I hit it to left-center, up in the air, and then I saw the right fielder go back,” said Bellinger. “I was very confused. I thought I hit it up in the air. When I got halfway to second, I thought he caught the ball. I didn’t know what was going on at all.”

When he saw the umpire signal home run, Bellinger shrugged his shoulders. Then he got to the plate and was encircled by his teammates. But with social distancing mandates, there was no dogpile, no torn-off jerseys, a contactless gathering very different from celebrations of seasons past.

“It was weird,” he said. “The [piped-in] crowd noise was actually pretty good, but the celebration at the plate was weird. It felt like a Wii Sports game. We were jumping up and down with our hands in the air. That’s a good comparison. We saw the Braves celebrate -- it looked like a Mario celebration, everybody jumping up and down. We just copied them.”

...Manager Dave Roberts, knowing he’s responsible for his players keeping their distance, was torn as the game ended.

“I was pulling for it to get up over the wall, and after it did, it was kind of awkward,” said Roberts. “I yelled out, ‘social distance,’ and tried to figure out what to do. With walk-offs, [we] used to jump on each other. It was very awkward with no fans. I was just trying to do my part. Certainly take the result, though.”

Dustin May started for the Dodgers and exited after five innings, having allowed one run on two hits. KJ got the win for L.A. after Brusdar Graterol blew a save opportunity. Kyle Freeland put in a quality start for Colorado, only to have his own bullpen fail to hold a 3-3 tie.

RHP/reliever Pedro Baez has gone on the IL with a right groin strain, and RHP/reliever Josh Sborz has been called up. Also, in a catcher shuffle, Keibert Ruiz was optioned to make room for Will Smith's return from the IL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/24/20 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so we're at the halfway point of the season! Sure went by quickly, didn't it? Wink The Dodgers have the best record in baseball, at 22-8, but of course that doesn't mean anything at the moment.

They completed the sweep of the Rockies at home after playing seven games during an unusually sweltering week in Socal, but none feeling more so than a day game on a Sunday afternoon at Chavez Ravine.

Kike's three-run blast in the fourth off Rockies starter Antonio Senzatela gave the Dodgers a 6-2 lead, but they were far from through--overall, L.A. launched seven home runs, beginning with Corey's solo shot in the first. With six runs in the last three innings, they battered Colorado's bullpen en route to an 11-3 win; Cody, Mad Max, Mookie (twice) and Will Smith all enjoyed round-trippers.

Ross Stripling started for the Dodgers, and again struggled. Victor Gonzalez, with two innings of middle relief, picked up the win. Stripling may need to be replaced in the rotation if he can't figure things out in such a short season.

The Boys of Summer make their first trip of 2020 to Oracle Park beginning with tonight's game.

Let the second half begin!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/25/20 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing a lot of talk that Ross Stripling's problems may be based on relying more on fastballs and throwing fewer sliders.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/26/20 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good game for the Dodgers as they opened their series in Battery Chuck Basin Smile last night. Yes, the Water Hoarders actually did pipe in "Beat LA" to the crowd noise. WEAK! (And yes, unfortunately, this time it worked, as they won, 10-8.)

What had been one of the Dodgers' best assets up until this point failed them last night--namely, the bullpen. Three times the Dodgers rallied to break a tie, and three times the Jints battled back to tie it again. In the end, it was a two-run walk-off home run by Donovan Solano off Dodgers reliever Dennis Santana in the bottom of the 11th, that prevailed. But the Jints, you see, were on a winning streak already, so this victory just moved their string along to seven consecutive.

Julio Urias started for L.A., with Johnny Cueto going for S.F., but neither was particularly sharp. For the Obnoxious Orange, rookie catcher Joey Bart had a rough game with communications miscues.

MadMax's first inning home run, a three-run blast, put the Dodgers on the board first and commemorated the first baseman's 30th birthday. Corey also added a round-tripper in the third.

Nothing to do but leave this losing streak at one, like they have with their last couple of losing streaks.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/28/20 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day off for protest evidently did the Dodgers good. The Jints, not so much.

What do Battery Chuckers have for dinner after being shut out in both games of a doubleheader? Why, goose eggs, of course. Laughing Laughing

Seven-inning games, though. I know they've been played for a few weeks but that was by other teams, not mine.

In the first game, Clayton was at his best, winning decisively, 7-0, over six innings. A.J. bashed a two-run homer for L.A., and Josh Sborz pitched the final frame. Jints starting pitcher Logan Webb took the loss.

In the nightcap, the Dodgers went with an "opener", Caleb Ferguson, and with a mix of relievers managed to hold the Jints scoreless again, 2-0. Scoring was scarce as the Dodgers scratched two runs across, one on a solo shot by Joc in the second, and the other on a Will Smith double in the fourth. Kevin Gausman started for S.F. and suffered the defeat.

Tonight, they'll be at Globe Life Park to face the Rangers in a weekend series.

Also, Walker has been placed on the IL with a blister.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 8/30/20 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/29/20 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first of a three-game series played in Globe Life Park, the Dodgers appeared lackluster and uninspired by the fact that their own icon, Jackie Robinson, was being celebrated around Major League Baseball. It's really too bad especially coming on the heels of a fired-up doubleheader sweep the afternoon before, capping an already-emotional series over the Jints.

Essentially, another quality start by rookie Dustin May, pitching not far from his Texas hometown, was spoiled when the Rangers broke a 2-2 tie by scoring four in the seventh. Relievers Jake McGee and Dylan Floro, typically solid out of the 'pen, were the victims, with McGee absorbing the loss.

May's start was matched with a quality start for the Rangers by Mike Minor, who held the Dodgers scoreless through six.

With the setback, L.A. is no longer the last remaining team with a single-digit number of losses.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/20 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a sluggish start to the series, the Dodgers ended up taking the next two games. Yesterday, it was another so-so start for L.A. from Ross Stripling, who exited after four innings. Mad Max and Cody both homered, but the Dodgers tacked on some "small ball" runs, too. Blake Treinen notched the win in relief, with KJ recording his ninth save of the season. Starting pitcher Lance Lynn absorbed the loss for the Rangers.

Today, it was El Gato who got the start for the Dodgers, but with a short leash due to pitch count, he only lasted three innings, while giving up a run--his first of the season, in his fourth start! In fairness, he was a little shaky, walking three in those three innings and throwing 39 pitches in the third. The bullpen corps picked up for him and held down the fort. Kyle Gibson got the ball for Texas, and took the loss; the Dodgers pecked away and scored runs in six different innings, which included solo shots by Corey, Cody and Will Smith. Reliever Scott Alexander picked up the win for L.A., 7-2.

The Dodgers also now hold the all-time NL record for home runs in a single calendar month, with 57 for the month of August (and they're off tomorrow). As the article recapping the game on dodgers.com noted, though, "...this is the first year the NL has had a designated hitter. The Major League record is 74, set by the Yankees last August."

They'll start the month of September back at Dodger Stadium for a six-game homestand hosting the Diamondbacks and Rockies.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/31/20 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc says El Gato is staying in the rotation, so that's one good thing out of all this. He has earned his spot.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/2/20 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the real Julio Urias please stand up?

The Diamondbacks and Dodgers started a series at Dodger Stadium last night, with Urias on the mound for L.A. facing Alex Young for the Diamondbacks. Rather than a labored first inning which he's been prone to lately, he sailed through six innings, limiting Arizona to one run on four hits. CT3 was responsible for four of the Dodgers' six runs, as they prevailed, 6-3.

And that's 11,001 in the W column.

Rojo Chingon has been placed on the IL with a strained left hamstring, and infielder Edwin Rios was re-activated. Madera has also returned from the IL and will be available out of the bullpen for the time being; he pitched an inning in last night's game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/3/20 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers go for the sweep tonight after beating the Diamondbacks in ten innings last night, 3-2.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/4/20 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd probably better confirm that they did indeed complete the sweep last night, and are now just getting underway with another series against the Rockies.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/5/20 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Dodgers kept rolling with a series-opening win over the Rockies at Chavez Ravine last night.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/6/20 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockies came back on the Dodgers' bullpen last night, spoiling a quality start by El Gato, and the rubber game will be played tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/7/20 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booooooo! Another comeback against the Dodgers relief corps allowed the Rockies to take the series. It is of note that this is the first series the Dodgers have dropped this year. In fact, they have had only two losing streaks of two games and no more.

Still, I will take this bullpen with its occasional hiccups over what we had last year. This group is a lot more cohesive overall.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/9/20 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully the losing streak ends at two! Mad

The Dodgers started a road trip in Arizona winning the first game of the series, 10-9 in ten innings. It was one of those "hang on to your hat" types that I was hoping we wouldn't see much more of after the last couple of games against the Rockies. The Diamondbacks went ahead early, 5-1 and were leading 6-2 late, when the Dodgers scored four in the eighth and four in the tenth.

But wait, it's never over for the Dodgers even when they have a four-run lead in extras and their closer on the mound. No way. KJ allowed three runs before finally getting the last out so we could all exhale.

Concerns: Walker had another mediocre start. Between him and Julio I have serious issues with our starting pitching. Maybe not adding a pitcher at the trade deadline was a big mistake. If you're only going to rely on CK (who admittedly has been in great form), then two rookies in the rotation, it seems a little dicey.

Gavin Lux got the big three-run homer in the tenth to put the Dodgers up, 10-6, before the Diamondbacks fought back and made it a one-run game.

Sheesh. The Padres annihilated the Rockies at Petco Park, so a come-from-behind win in Chase Field was absolutely necessary to maintain the lead in the division, particularly after having 1.5 games shaved off that lead since Sunday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 9/9/20 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget also that Joc became a daddy again! Baby boy arrived yesterday as Joc was on paternity leave. Congratulations to Joc and his wife.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/10/20 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious that the 2 best teams in baseball are in our division! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/10/20 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!

Well, these are the Diamondbacks my Dodgers are playing now, so why is it they're struggling to win back-to-back extra inning games against them?

Yes, Sunny, the Dodgers "got the memo." It was Admissions Day and they won, as did the Padres, in honor of our state's 170th birthday.

And it was also Roberto Clemente Day, so it was fitting that Kike homered while wearing Clemente's uniform number.

And yes, CK got the start after pitching shutouts in his previous two starts, but this one didn't go quite that same way. He didn't have his best stuff, allowing four runs, but the Dodgers kept him in the game anyway until breaking a 4-4 score in the tenth.

They go for the sweep tonight against an old foe from a long-time rival--MadBum. It'll lack the luster of those 11 years he spent as a Jint, but I'll still hope for a win even without the intensity of the rivalry.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/13/20 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a HORRIBLE meltdown by KJ last night! The Astros score five in the ninth and beat the Dodgers, 7-5! I'm tearing my hair out!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: