Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravin' from Afar - Dodgers 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 9/14/20 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think we saw a Jekyll & Hyde performance from him this weekend! What a difference that was in last night's game. Padres, we are ready for the big showdown that starts in San Diego.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/14/20 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder why Doc did not remove him from that game on Saturday when he could not get an out and keep allowing baserunners. How do you give up so many hits with no outs and stay in the game?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/14/20 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone was surprised about that. However, we all held our breath with a seven-run lead on Sunday night anyway.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/15/20 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was so upset after the first game of the Dodgers-Padres series that I avoided posting last night. The results of the second game were much more to my liking, but let's face it, the Dodgers never do anything easy as we've been reminded time and time again.

CK had another solid start for the Dodgers last night, and had to be on his best game with Dinelson Lamet on the mound for the Padres. When San Diego centerfielder Trent Grisham went deep on the Dodgers' ace in the sixth inning, tensions began to simmer a bit.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
After pulling the 2-1 fastball into the right-field seats, Grisham didn’t move out of the batter’s box for a moment, flipped his bat, looked into his dugout, then began his trot. The Dodgers’ dugout was livid with the celebration, and Grisham heard about it as he rounded third base when more words were exchanged. Home-plate umpire Mark Ripperger felt the tension and cautioned the Dodgers to remain in the dugout. The party reached new heights when Grisham reached San Diego’s dugout.

For the record, while many expressed displeasure with Grisham, CK himself declined to comment other than to say something to the effect of "let them have their fun." These are the Padres, and they're exciting for the first time in ten years. I think he gets it.

The teams were deadlocked, 1-1, until the bottom of the seventh when Clayton was removed with two men on and one out and 99 pitches in the books. That's when everything unraveled. Errors, both mental and physical, dogged the Dodgers and allowed the Padres to score five for a comfortable lead. Pedro Baez allowed one run without recording an out. Blake Treinen and Josh Sborz (off whom the Padres tacked on another run via an eighth inning solo shot by Wil Myers) provided the remainder of the relief. L.A. scored one in the ninth off Pierce Johnson, closing for the Padres, but San Diego still won a hard-fought game, 7-2.

Then, tonight's game. First, Rojo Chingon returned from the IL and returned to the lineup as DH, and contributed three hits. I was pleased with El Gato giving us another dominant outing on the mound with seven strong innings,

Rojo Chingon's sub at third base was Edwin Rios, who broke out of a 1-for-20 slump with a home run off Padres starter Zach Davies in the fifth inning. The Dodgers prevailed, 3-1, and ended San Diego's winning streak at eight. But it didn't come with drama, as KJ loaded the bases in the ninth, only to emerge unscathed. A collective fan base held its breath with the knowledge that a Padres comeback would mean the Dodgers' lead in the NL West would diminish to a slim .5 games. As it was, they fell back to trail by 2.5 again.

So we've seen four quality starts from both teams' pitching in the first two games. It makes me wonder what's in store in the rubber game tomorrow.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/16/20 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember it is an afternoon game today.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/17/20 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone was waiting for me to update first, thanks to the significance of yesterday's Dodgers win, I apologize for being nearly 24 hours behind. Yes, they beat the Padres, 7-5, became the first team to clinch at least a playoff spot this year, and took the mini-season series from San Diego, 6-4. And the rubber game of this series featured a bullpen start for both teams, so it could have been anyone's game.

Also, Feliz Dia de la Indepencia, although I'm 24 hours late on that, too! The Dodgers won all games played this year on tres grande dias of September--the founding of Ciudad de los Angeles, Admissions Day, and now Dia de la Indepencia.

And now, L.A. moves on to face the Rockies for four at Coors Field.

Just a few notes about roster moves: Outfielder Zach McKinstry was called up and Joc has been placed on the family emergency leave list--with no details given. That's certainly of concern given the Pedersons just had a baby last week.

But, back to baseball itself, while I must say that Dylan Hernandez's column in the Times today was not particularly positive, it didn't really get me down because he does speak the truth. And it may be good motivational material. Not that a team that consistently returns to the playoffs for seven seasons without winning it all should need it.

"Column: Pitching Still Figures to be a Problem for the Dodgers"

By DYLAN HERNÁNDEZ, COLUMNIST
SEP. 16, 2020 7:39 PM

In theory, the Dodgers played their most important regular-season game of the year Wednesday.

And they started a reliever.

The charitable interpretation of this decision is that the Dodgers simply embraced an opportunity to experiment.

The more disconcerting explanation of why Brusdar Graterol opened the series finale against the San Diego Padres is that they know they have to compensate for the lack of a championship rotation.

In which case, they could be on their way to crashing and burning in October.

Again.

The elements for another postseason meltdown are in place, from the number of all-or-nothing type hitters in their lineup to the continued decline of closer Kenley Jansen.

This season feels like the last … and the one before that … and the one before that … and, well, you get the idea.

With a 7-5 victory over the Padres at Petco Park, the Dodgers became the first team to secure a playoff berth. By taking two of three games from the second-place Padres this week, the Dodgers moved closer to their eighth consecutive National League West title.

Except none of this is new. This is what they are built to do, to score runs in bunches and dominate the regular season.

“It’s the first step,” manager Dave Roberts said.

The step after this one is the true objective — and the place they usually stumble.

That could be why the Dodgers didn’t have a locker room celebration of any kind.

Reaching the postseason was a given, as every team in the NL West outside of the Dodgers and Padres has a sub-.500 record.

The order in which the Dodgers and Padres finished was also of minimal importance, as Major League Baseball created a playoff format that was the baseball equivalent of Frankenstein’s monster. In the first round, the Dodgers will host a mediocre opponent in a three-game series. As the top wild-card team, the Padres will too.

If both teams advance, there will be no home-field advantage, as they will face each other in a five-game Division Series in Arlington, Texas.

With the stakes relatively low Wednesday, the Dodgers and Padres opted for bullpen games.

The Dodgers’ originally scheduled starter, Dustin May, pitched in relief. The Padres’, Chris Paddack, had his turn in the rotation pushed back two days.

In the Dodgers’ view, this was about more than easing May back into action after his foot was struck by a comebacker in his last start. This was also a trial run of sorts for the postseason.

Of that characterization, Roberts said, “I think that’s fair.”

But why was that necessary?

So long as Walker Buehler can manage the blister on his pitching hand, the Dodgers have five serviceable starting pitchers. Depth will be especially critical in these playoffs, as the schedule doesn’t include any days off in any of the three rounds leading up to the World Series.

Regular-season depth shouldn’t be confused with postseason depth, however. Just because a team is comfortable sending a pitcher to the mound every five days in the regular season doesn’t mean they are comfortable starting him in the playoffs. That very well could be the case with May, Tony Gonsolin and Julio Urias.

And while Clayton Kershaw is performing at an elite level again, Buehler is no guarantee, as the right-hander has pitched only 7 2/3 innings over the last 3 ½ weeks.

The pitching concerns extend to the bullpen. Considering how Jansen has looked in recent weeks, there have to be legitimate worries about whether he is capable of closing for them in October.

The potential problem was compounded Wednesday by news that left-hander Caleb Ferguson has a torn ulnar collateral ligament and could miss the remainder of the season.

Offensively, Cody Bellinger, Max Muncy and Joc Pederson are already in October form, which means they are slumping. Bellinger and Muncy drove in a run each Wednesday; Pederson was placed on the family medical emergency list.

Asked if the Dodgers could win a World Series without at least two of the three left-handed power hitters finding their strokes, Roberts was frank.

“No,” Roberts said, “I don’t.”

Now, it’s possible Kershaw finally has the October for which he has worked his entire career. And it’s also possible Mookie Betts, Corey Seager and Justin Turner sustain the Dodgers through the ups and downs of their less consistent performers.

But it’s equally conceivable, if not more, that the offense vanishes, the shortcomings of the rotation are exposed and the bullpen unravels spectacularly.

It’s happened before and it can happen again.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 9/21/20 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 9/18/20 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grito! Exclamation

I think our team has lost only one series this year, the one last weekend when they were playing the Rockies in L.A.

I have to say this - I am really warming up to Will Smith and he is becoming a favorite!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/18/20 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, me, too! He's proven his worth to the team, and he's a fun guy as well.

El mago número es cinco!

With a 9-3 win over the Rockies in the series opener, the Dodgers moved closer to clinching their eighth consecutive NL West title. Julio Urias, fighting for a postseason roster spot, battled his typical first inning demons as he allowed the Rockies two runs early, but settled down afterward as the Dodger bats took control. The numbers for Urias look like this: he has surrendered ten runs in the first innings of starts this season, but has allowed nine runs total in 39 innings after the first.

Kyle Freeland started for the Rockies and allowed two runs to tie the game (including a solo shot by Corey in the fourth), but it wasn't until the seventh inning that L.A. took control offensively, scoring six runs. This time they didn't let Bison beat them, either! (He DHed, and was 0-for-4.) Dylan Floro notched the win in relief of Urias.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/19/20 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second game of the series in Colorado had a definite Coors Field feel to it on the Dodgers' part. Although Madera got the start for his first time since the first week of the season (his IL stint was followed by several innings of bullpen work), he only pitched for two innings and my feeling was that another "opener" had been scheduled. Ryan Castellini took the mound for the Rockies and surrendered eight runs (seven earned). Of six Dodger relievers who followed Madera, Mitch White, who got the last six outs, notched the win. In between, Cody's bat finally exploded in a way we've been waiting for, as he was 3-for-5 with a home run. The damage was spread throughout the lineup, as six of his teammates also recorded two hits each, and the Dodgers banged out 17 hits en route to a 15-6 win.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 9/20/20 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1 week left in the season now. The playoffs are going to feel so weird with the new format. I hope this is for 1 year only. I don't like the idea of seedings and so many teams making it in.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/21/20 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, neither! Mad

The Dodgers ended up taking three of four games in Colorado this weekend, with yesterday's 6-3 loss being their only setback. El Gato started the game for L.A. and took the loss despite allowing only two runs over five innings. The Dodgers just couldn't touch Rockies starter Tony Senzatela much (and why is it that it seems like they face this guy every week this season?), as Senzatela allowed only one run, and their other two came against Rockies relievers. As for the Dodgers' bullpen, Blake Treinen gave up three runs himself and Pedro Baez actually pitched a clean inning. The Dodgers finished the road trip 5-2, with the el mago numero reduced to dos.

The Athletics visit Dodger Stadium for a three-game series beginning tomorrow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/22/20 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope everything is OK with Joc's family.

Dustin May will pitch tonight.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/23/20 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin May did indeed start for the Dodgers last night, and while the "A"s took an early 2-0 lead, the L.A. bats scored seven unanswered runs as they coasted toward another NL West title.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/24/20 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers lost to the "A"s last night, 6-4, and will play the rubber game of the series tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/24/20 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walker is back! Although he only went four innings, he Ked six Athletics in his first start off the IL for L.A. Mike Fiers got the ball for Oakland, and pitched fairly well while allowing two runs over five innings (one a solo shot by Corey). Dodgers reliever Dylan Floro got the win, while the Dodgers played a lot of small ball in the middle innings, and became the first MLB team to reach 40 wins this season with a 5-1 victory. Heck, K.J. even nailed down the ninth.

The Angels roll up the Golden State Freeway to Chavez Ravine for the weekend, and that will conclude the mini-2020 campaign.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/26/20 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their 41st win of 2020 coming last night (9-5 over the Angels) in the Freeway Series opener at Dodger Stadium, the Dodgers clinched the best record in baseball this season--for whatever that's worth, given the season is roughly one-third the length of a regular season. But you have to celebrate what you can at the moment.

CK got the start, and clearly didn't have his best stuff, giving up four runs in four innings pitched. But the bats bailed him out and a succession of relievers kept the game in check. Andrew Heaney started for the Angels and also lasted only four innings, and surrendered five runs. Mike Trout and Justin Upton both homered in support of him, but the Dodgers clobbered five round-trippers throughout the game. Two came off the bat of Rojo Chingon, who coming into this game had only two home runs so far in 2020. A.J., Will Smith and Edwin Rios provided the other fireworks. Both teams amassed 12 hits each.

The silver lining is that Clayton usually bounces back from a bad start with a superb one, so hopefully whoever faces L.A. next week is a victim of that trend.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/27/20 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there was one...

The Dodgers registered their 42nd win of the season last night, coming from behind to beat the Angels, 9-5. In the seventh inning, there was a 25-minutes "power failure" delay, although there was certainly no lack of power in the Dodgers' lineup.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/27/20 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now it's over, this brief little experimental season in which we saw many aspects of our game change, some of those accommodations temporary, and others permanent.

With a 5-0 win today, sweeping the Angels, the Dodgers finished the mini-season at 43-17, and in a stat I was almost incredulous to hear, swept the season series from the Halos for the first time since 1997. Yes, 1997--the very first year of interleague play.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very different to see the season crammed into 2 months but let's see, what happens from here? I'm almost weary.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your great season. Very Happy
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/29/20 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but since it wasn't a full season it doesn't mean as much and even if it was, we got bounced in the first round last year after our best season ever. It will be cool to have both our teams in the playoffs at the same time, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: