Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passings - 2020 Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/30/20 10:22 am    Post subject: Passings - 2020 Season Reply with quote

Former manager John McNamara has passed away at age 88. May he rest in peace.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/1/20 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace to Mike Gillespie--a legend! He passed away at age 80 on Thursday.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/3/20 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking a lot about Johnny Mac lately. He got the most attention for managing the 1986 Red Sox but he was one of the earlier Padres managers when they started improving their overall record in the 1970s. I like him and he was never given much to work with except that year Randy Jones had the Cy Young season. Rest in peace to a good man.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/12/20 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former MLB player Carroll Hardy has passed away at age 87. Although I think the UPI headline is a bit of a "stretch"--hardly an MLB "legend"--he did carry the distinction of being the only player to ever pinch-hit for both Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski. Hardy's ten-year career as an outfielder included stints with the Indians, Red Sox, Colt .45s and Twins. It followed one year playing for the San Francisco 49ers in the NFL. He then retired from baseball and worked for the NFL as an exec with the Denver Broncos.

Hardy died on August 9. May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/14/20 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played for my Padres when they were an Indians minor league affiliate!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/10/20 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Budig died on Tuesday, and he was the last AL president, from 1994-1999, before there was one president for both leagues. He was 81. Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times:

"Paul Pettit, Phenom Who Earned MLB’s first $100,000 Signing Bonus, Dies at 88"

By MIKE DIGIOVANNA, STAFF WRITER
SEP. 25, 2020 5 PM

Paul Pettit, the Harbor City Narbonne pitching phenom who struck out 27 batters in a game in 1949 and was the first player to receive a six-figure signing bonus from a major league team, died of natural causes at his home in Canyon Lake, Calif., on Thursday, his family announced. Pettit was 88.

Nicknamed “Lefty” and the “Wizard of Whiff,” Pettit combined a mid-90s fastball with a slow curve to throw six no-hitters and strike out 390 batters in 140 high school innings, according to the Society of American Baseball Research.

Pettit was thrust onto the national stage as the most sought-after amateur pitcher in America at age 18. Former Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey compared Pettit to future Hall of Famer Bob Feller, who was pitching for the Cleveland Indians at the time.

Pettit was courted by a Hollywood movie producer who offered him $60,000 for the rights to his life story in 1949, and he signed baseball’s first $100,000 bonus with the Pittsburgh Pirates that year. He rubbed elbows with Bing Crosby and Jayne Mansfield, and retained Rickey as an informal advisor.

“He definitely lived life to its fullest,” Tim Pettit, Paul’s 63-year-old son, said on Friday. “He didn’t get cheated at all.”

Pettit reached the big leagues as a 19 year old, and he pitched in 12 games for the Pirates in 1951 and 1953, going 1-2 with a 7.34 ERA. But a serious elbow injury he suffered in a minor league game in 1951 derailed his pitching career.

Pettit reinvented himself as a first baseman and outfielder as he played parts of five seasons (1952, 1954-57) with the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League. He played his final four seasons (1958-60, 1962) with Triple-A Columbus of the International League and Triple-A Salt Lake City and Seattle of the PCL.

Pettit earned a college degree in education during baseball’s offseasons and enjoyed a 30-year teaching and coaching career at Lawndale, Leuzinger and Long Beach Jordan high schools. He also served as a scout and minor league instructor for the Kansas City Royals.

“When my brothers and I got to high school, he walked away from baseball to spend time with his kids,” said Tim Pettit, who pitched briefly in the Angels’ farm system. “It gave us unfettered access to one of the best coaches I had in baseball. We got all of him. We didn’t have to share him with MLB. That was a cool thing.”

Tim Pettit said his father was slowed since last year by a nerve disorder that limited his mobility and some cardiac issues, and he suffered a stroke on Sept. 18.

Pettit was predeceased by Shirley Pettit, his high school sweetheart and wife of 65 years. He is survived by his wife, Sally, six children — Paul (6Cool, Mark (66), Cynthia (65), Tim (63), Mike (53) and Stephanie (4Cool — 12 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. Services are pending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting bit of Socal baseball history. I had to look it up to see where Canyon Lake, CA is.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently near Corona. I had never heard of it, either.

Meanwhile, another from the L.A. Times:

"Former Dodgers Fan Favorite Jay Johnstone Dies at 74 After COVID-19 Battle"

Johnstone, who won World Series championships as a versatile outfielder with the New York Yankees and Dodgers while being baseball’s merry prankster, died Saturday of complications from COVID-19 at a nursing home in Granada Hills. He was 74.

By MIKE DIGIOVANNA, STAFF WRITER
SEP. 28, 2020 7:11 PM

Jay Johnstone, the fun-loving outfielder who was best known for his clubhouse pranks and a dramatic pinch-hit home run that helped the Dodgers win the 1981 World Series, died Saturday, his daughter, Mary Jayne Sarah Johnstone, confirmed on Facebook. He was 74.

Johnstone, who hit .267 with 102 home runs and 531 RBIs in a 20-year major league career from 1966-85, suffered from dementia and was in a Granada Hills nursing home when he died of complications from COVID-19.

“COVID was the one thing he couldn’t fight,” Johnstone’s daughter told the Associated Press on Monday. “It’s really kind of shocking.”

Johnstone was born on Nov. 20, 1945, in Manchester, Conn., and his family moved to Southern California when he was a toddler. He attended West Covina Edgewood High and signed with the Angels in 1963.

Johnstone reached the big leagues in 1966, the start of a lengthy career spent with the Angels, Philadelphia Phillies, Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics and San Diego Padres.

In his first postseason appearance for the Phillies in 1976, Johnstone went seven for nine with three RBIs in a three-game National League Championship Series loss to Cincinnati. But his biggest October hit came for the Dodgers in Game 4 of the 1981 World Series. Trailing 6-3 in the sixth, Johnstone followed Mike Scioscia’s walk with a pinch-hit, two-run homer off Ron Davis to pull the Dodgers to within 6-5.

The Dodgers scored again in the sixth and twice in the seventh to win 8-7, evening the series at two games apiece. The Dodgers won Games 5 and 6 to win the championship.

“It was certainly memorable,” said Fred Claire, the former Dodgers general manager who was the team’s vice president of public relations and marketing in 1981. “But I think the biggest contribution of Jay was just in keeping all the guys around him loose.”

Johnstone’s pranks were legendary. He set teammates’ cleats on fire and nailed them to the floor. He and former Dodgers pitcher Jerry Reuss once replaced the celebrity photos in manager Tommy Lasorda’s office with pictures of himself, Reuss and Don Stanhouse.

“If there was a tax on the amount of fun we had, we couldn’t afford to live,” Reuss, 71, said by phone from Las Vegas. “There are so many different memories … but unfortunately, a lot of them you can’t print.”

Johnstone and Reuss once dressed as groundskeepers and dragged the Dodger Stadium infield in the fifth inning of a game against Pittsburgh on Sept. 2, 1981. The players hustled into the clubhouse to change into their uniforms and returned to the dugout.

“Tommy met us at the bench, gave us an ass-chewing that was second to none and said, ‘Jay, you’re hitting for the pitcher,’ ” Reuss said. “Jay went up and hit a homer [in a 6-2 win]. Who in the history of baseball has dragged the infield in the fifth inning and hit a pinch-hit homer in the sixth?”

Johnstone once gave Lasorda’s uniform to the Phillie Phanatic, the mascot placing it on a blow-up doll “and having a blast with it,” Reuss said.

Claire was heading from the field to the press box as a game was about to start when he saw Johnstone — in full uniform — ordering a hotdog from a concession stand outside the Dodgers clubhouse.

“I screamed at him, ‘Jay, get your butt in the clubhouse!’” Claire said. “I don’t know if that was Babe Ruth-like or Jay Johnstone-like, but it was great.”

Johnson appeared in the hit movie “The Naked Gun” as a member of the Seattle Mariners in a game against the Angels and had a broadcasting career. He wrote a 1985 book called “Temporary Insanity,” with author Rick Talley.

“I’ll be honest,” Reuss said with a laugh, “there was nothing temporary about it.”

In addition to his daughter, Johnstone is survived by his wife of 52 years, Mary Jayne Johnstone, and a son-in-law, Ryan Dudasik.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DB6 note: The memories of that Saturday afternoon at Chavez Ravine in October, 1981 as he rallied the Dodgers back against the Yankees, still give me a thrill. I was sitting in the RFP during that game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/29/20 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a funny guy! His pranks were well known. I heard from my brother yesterday that he died but I didn't realize it was from COVID. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/3/20 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sweet Lou" Johnson passed away yesterday at age 86. May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/3/20 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The passings just keep coming. Sad Rest in peace to Ron Perranoski, who died last night in Vero Beach, FL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 10/4/20 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a rough few days. I know of 4 baseball deaths over the last week and 3 involved Dodgers. Very sad.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 10/4/20 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad weekend in baseball. Sorry for all the losses, Dodger ladies. I should also say even though he played in only 75 games for us, Jay Johnstone was a Padre in 1979. Between his Yankees & Dodgers years.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 10/5/20 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone had heard this - former Dodger pitcher Charlie Haeger has taken his life after being named a suspect in his ex girlfriend's murder in Scottsdale. I had to think for quite awhile to remember him - he did not stand out as memorable. It's a pretty bad story all the way around.
Here's the link
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 10/11/20 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I didn't respond to that about Charlie Haeger, but I agree the situation is pretty sad all-around.

Jimmie Lee Solomon has passed away at age 64. He was a long-time MLB exec who will be remembered for his many efforts creating special events and programs for baseball. Some examples are the Futures Game, the Civil Rights Game, and MLB's Urban Youth Academies.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/22/20 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former major league umpire Derryl Cousins passed away at age 74 in Palm Springs on October 19. He had called three World Series in his career, including the magical 1988 Fall Classic.

Cousins had suffered from cancer. May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: