Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From a Fan's Perspective: A Most Important Anniversary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 7:06 am    Post subject: From a Fan's Perspective: A Most Important Anniversary Reply with quote

A historic event occurred on this day in 1939, and from its modest beginnings, who knew that 66 years later it would have expanded into what it has become today.

It was a technological advancement involving "live TV."

Yes, it was on August 26, 1939 that the first televised baseball game was broadcast. Of course the Dodgers were involved, and Hall of Fame announcer Red Barber, already established as the radio voice of the team, was the man who brought it to the nation as the Cincinnati Reds visited Ebbets Field to play a doubleheader. (As for the results, the two teams split.)

Today, with MLB Extra Innings, regional broadcasts, and so many games to choose from, who could have known this exciting and curious new trend would evolve into such a necessary part of so many people's lives?

I think this is an anniversary we can ALL appreciate. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 8/25/11 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I can't take advantage of very often but I certainly enjoy it. Without tv our bunny moments would be few and far between.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but far more important, without TV many of our BASEBALL moments would not be quite as enhanced.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
True, but far more important, without TV many of our BASEBALL moments would not be quite as enhanced.

Baseball moments? What're those? Wink Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/05 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"This is Red Barber speaking. Let me say hello to you all." - First words spoken during the first televised major league game.

According to baseball-almanac.com, those were the first words ever spoken on a televised broadcast.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quobarb.shtml

Quote:
And a very pleasant good evening to you all, wherever you may be. Pull up a chair and join us.

--Dodger broadcast greeting by Vin Scully

I should have added for historical context that the game was broadcast on W2XBS, and Wheaties was the sponsor!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/05 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some excerpts from baseballhalloffame.org about this event. Note the comments about the players' looks. Pretty funny! Smile

Who knows how many bunnies were born on 8/26/39?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hall of Famer Larry MacPhail was an innovator. He introduced night baseball to the major leagues in 1935. He brought New York baseball to the radio airwaves. And on August 26, 1939, he put together a marriage that would last until this day - baseball and television.

The 1:30 P.M. game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Cincinnati Reds was broadcast on NBC's experimental television station W2XBS. The station, which was located in New York's famous Empire State Building, had a fifty mile broadcasting radius. At the time no one really knew what to expect.

Washington Post writer Bob Considine wondered what would happen if the television-baseball connection were to really take flight, "The beauty of players might have to be taken into consideration by bush-beating scouts, and the classic rejection slip, "Good field, no hit", may have to be revised to "Good field, good hit, lousy complexion."

Today there are television sets in every home, but in 1939 they were a little hard to come by. It is estimated that fewer than 1,000 people saw Bucky Walter's two-hit gem on about 400 televisions in the Metro New York area. There were two cameras taking in the action, one was in the second tier box behind home plate, and the second was at ground level near third base. At least one player felt uncomfortable being on TV, Reds' catcher Ernie Lombardi.

"I felt as if someone was looking over my shoulder all afternoon," the "Schnozz" said.

As for the quality of the telecast, the New York Times said it best: "At times it was possible to catch a fleeting glimpse of the ball as it sped from the pitcher to home plate."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 8/27/06 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/07 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this one up for another year, to celebrate the 68th anniversary of this event.

Appropriately, the Dodgers will be on center stage on ESPN's Sunday night game tonight when they face the Mets, as we try to avoid a sweep. I only hope Boomer puts in a decent performance; dare I wish the Bums can actually win the game?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/07 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fittingly, the anniversary was celebrated with the Dodgers winning, 6-2. Smile

During the game we saw:

- David Wells making his first start and getting his first win as a Dodger. He also became the oldest starting pitcher ever in L.A. Dodgers history.

- The two starting pitchers, Wells and John Maine, both sparking rallies for their teams with base hits. Especially entertaining was watching Wells lumbering down the line to beat out a perfectly placed bunt. Laughing Laughing

- Dodgers second baseman Jeff Kent leaving the game in the third inning after getting a beanball on the left ear flap of his helmet on a 91 MPH fastball from Maine. It was the fifth HBP for Kent this season.

- Jonathan Broxton and Takashi Saito showing why they are, in the opinion of the Mets' broadcasters, the best set-up/closer combination in the majors.

*Whew.* Now the Dodgers return home having avoided the sweep in Shea.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/26/08 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading back on the comments from last year on this date...interesting. Especially comments by the Mets announcers...since it seems, a year later, some players can't get the job done beyond their designated roles.

Really just wanted to bump this thread for some of our newer posters. Anyone watching a game on TV tonight should have some perspective from a historical viewpoint of broadcasting and baseball.

Smile

If you've never read this thread before, scroll up and check out the comments from baseballhalloffame.org that I posted three years ago.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/29/09 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the Dodgers-Rockies broadcast on Wednesday, Vin made his customary mention of the anniversary of the first televised baseball game "on this date in baseball history."

However, this year, there was a little more attention paid to this because of it being the 70th anniversary of the technological milestone.

And it's pretty amazing that even as long as Vin's been around, he can't claim to have been in on this one. However, as he was Barber's immediate replacement behind the mic with the Dodgers, he remains the link to the man who called the first baseball game on that new medium known as "television."

One degree of separation. On the Cardinals' message board, someone posted a prediction that 70 years from now, no team would have fewer than five degrees of separation.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 8/25/11 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/30/10 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was worth the annual bump of this thread to note that the Dodgers did, in fact, win on the 71st anniversary of the first televised baseball game. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/11 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thankfully, here we are 72 years later; Vin is still with us and the Dodgers are playing at home on this anniversary! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/11 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Red Barber left because he didn't think he could work with O'Malley but boy did he ever groom his replacement who has put his own stamp on Dodger announcing! Kudoos to both Red Barber and Vin Scully Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/26/11 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info! I had never known all that before I read this thread at this time last year but that's because I've been on the board less than 2 years. Thank you for the reminder. Linda, was it you who told me you were in Chicago when they celebrated this anniversary a few years back?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/11 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good memory, almost as good as mine--except I had forgotten about that! LOL. Yes, I was at Wrigley Field on August 26, 2000 watching the Dodgers play the Cubs, and the Fox Game of the Week (which I had taped while on my trip) was very informative in showing how much TV broadcasts had changed over the years. Great to always have the Dodgers associated with that "first" in baseball history, just as they have been with so many other groundbreaking events.

Incidentally, the Dodgers WON tonight--again, following form from the last few seasons--so perhaps this will continue to be a trend in August 26 games!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/11 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Linda but I read this recently which is why I remember it better Laughing I knew Red Barber left the Dodgers but didn't really know what happened.

It kind of makes me tear up to read Red Barber's and Vin Scully's quote on the first televised game of baseball. How fitting it would be the Dodgers!!!

I have so much to rub in to my brothers: The Dodgers beating the Cubs on the day I was born, Vin Scully coming back for his 63rd year of announcing Dodgers games, and these two great announcers saying the first words ever on a televised game.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, GilHodgesFan, I'm not sure we're on the same page about a couple of things...? Not sure what you mean here:

Quote:
Thank you Linda but I read this recently which is why I remember it better

I would say you're welcome but I'm not sure what you were thanking me for, LOL.

Quote:
and these two great announcers saying the first words ever on a televised game.

What two announcers? Being a new and untested form of media, the game was a single feed TV broadcast so, unlike today, you didn't get the broadcast from both teams. Just one TV broadcast, and each team's radio broadcast.

Also, when giving your brother all of this great news, you can add all the other items I just posted a few minutes ago! It should make their days.

Twisted Evil

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

1st part of confusion: I thought you were commenting on me knowing that Red Barber left the Dodgers because he didn't think he could work with O'Malley. I never knew the reason Red Barber left and for some reason thought he was more forced out than having chosen to leave.

2nd part of confusion: I thought that both Red Barber and Vin Scully announced the first televised Major League game but perhaps it was just Vin Scully??

I am sure I keep everyone guessing on this site now and then about exactly what I mean. Sometimes I am not sure myself Laughing

Believe me, I am saving every little tidbit of information I can to relay to my brothers when we are all together at the next family gathering. They love to give me a hard time about Gil Hodges. They are just teasing me then but they aren't quite so nice about Dodgers vs Cubs. That's when I'll bring up all the great things I've learned in favor of the Dodgers Twisted Evil
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No, I was not commenting on that; I responded to Cathy's post above mine when she asked about me being in Chicago in August, 2000.

2. I think you are skipping posts again! I know for sure you are not math-challenged, because it's clear you're a reasonably intelligent poster. Smile

However, I did post on Friday that it was the 72nd anniversary of the first televised game. And this is only Vin's 62nd season. Keep in mind Vin was only 11 years old during the 1939 season; no way could he have been calling a televised Major League baseball game.

I also wrote (in a previous post in this thread with the original background):

Quote:
It was on August 26, 1939 that the first televised baseball game was broadcast. Of course the Dodgers were involved, and Hall of Fame announcer Red Barber, already established as the radio voice of the team, was the man who brought it to the nation as the Cincinnati Reds visited Ebbets Field to play a doubleheader. (As for the results, the two teams split.)

...And it's pretty amazing that even as long as Vin's been around, he can't claim to have been in on this one.

Hope that clears it all up! Very Happy

I may do some more research on Red now about the situation when he left and went to the Yankees.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 9/1/12 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no explanation for what I am missing or how I am missing things. <sigh> Embarassed

I had looked back on here and found a quote by Red Barber and Vin Scully where Red said [/quote] "This is Red Barber speaking. Let me say hello to you all." and Vin Scully said
Quote:
And a very pleasant good evening to you all, wherever you may be. Pull up a chair and join us.
For some reason I thought they were both said in the same broadcast.

I have no explanation as to how or why I am missing things. I know I haven't been able to follow baseball like I've wanted to this year and I think my mind is still going in too many directions - new boss, trying to sell mom's house and dealing with my brother in Illinois who feels things aren't going fast enough, babysitting more for my daughter now that she has a job outside the home, and trying to keep up with my husband's weird swing shift working hours lately because a fellow employee is off for 6 weeks recovering from back surgery.

I feel like I'm trying to make excuses but I have wondered about my lack of concentration these past few months. I attended a four year college. I should be more "on track" and not missing so much. There should be no excuse for my poor concentration Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin didn't start with the Dodgers until 1950, and with the game being played in 1939, I thought it would be interesting to post Red's commentary and how he led into the voice-over for the very first TV game in history. I posted Vin's standard introduction as it has been for several years, to compare the two lead-ins, and how Vin has established his own greeting.

Now, next year when I "bump" this thread on the anniversary, we'll have a few more things to look back and chuckle about. Laughing Hopefully the Dodgers will continue their winning streak on August 26, then!

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 8/26/12 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/11 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread! Who does not love to watch baseball on TV!

I do not know the background on Barber and O'Malley but would be interested if you have any information.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/11 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your vote of confidence Linda Smile Hopefully next year I will have settled back into some sort of normal existence where everything is more clear and I can concentrate more on baseball.

My boss doesn't like any teams except for the Cubs and every game I've mentioned going to there is a player he doesn't like, except for the Cubs of course. If he knew more about Gil Hodges he would find there is alot to respect about Gil. A business partner said of Gil that he was one person he knew who wouldn't have anything to account for when he got to Heaven. Gil would never have thought of himself in these terms but he was a man who was true to himself, God, his family, and the game of baseball. You can't knock a guy who always blew his wife a kiss whenever he rounded third base after hitting a home run (and meant it Smile )
I would also like to know more about Red Barber and how he and Vin Scully got along.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/12 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bump of this thread for the anniversary! Today was a pretty special day and it offered a great opportunity for some good news--which we got!

Loved today's Dodgers-Marlins broadcast in which Vin once again described the differences between the first televised baseball game in 1939 (with two cameras) and the one he called today (13 cameras on FSPT).

I also wanted to bump it since this is the first year we've had a Reds fan on the board! Not only did Red call Reds games (convenient name there, huh?) before Dodgers games, but the team from Cincinnati was involved in this technological advancement. Vin commented about how not only were the Dodgers and Reds involved in the first TV baseball game, but also the first game ever played at Dodger Stadium--something I mentioned as the 50th anniversary season got underway a few months ago.

So our two teams have tangled a couple of times on historic "first" occasions.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 9/1/12 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 8/27/12 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Vin Scully's history lessons Very Happy

Thanks for reminding us again about the Dodgers and Reds playing against each other in the first game at Dodger Stadium. It is more significant now that we have a Reds fan onboard Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love Vin Scully's history lessons

You missed some really good ones last week about Gil Hodges. A client of my husband from New Jersey had mentioned he sure enjoyed that last homestand on Extra Innings because of it.

Congratulations to him - I still cannot believe the story about Don Larsen's perfecto though! Surprised
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too bad I missed those Sad I would like to get Vin's biography Pull Up A Chair. I saw it at Half Price books months but was waiting til my next payday to get it and then it was gone. At some point I will order it on Amazon.com.

I wish Vin would write his autobiography. Can you imagine how think of a book that would be though Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/30/12 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record: Sadly, the Dodgers did not continue their tradition of winning in August 26 games. This year, they lost to the Marlins at home. Sad

Cathy,

Quote:
I still cannot believe the story about Don Larsen's perfecto though

Modest, but I would not choose football over baseball. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/26/13 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this year, the Dodgers did win on August 26, beating the Cubs.

Good article from history.com about this monumental development in technology.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/27/13 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good history there. Did he say anything about it during your broadcast last night?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: