Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jackie Robinson Awards - 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/9/20 7:50 pm    Post subject: Jackie Robinson Awards - 2020 Reply with quote

The 2020 Rookies of the Year have been announced:

AL: Mariners centerfielder Kyle Lewis
NL: Brewers RHP/reliever Devin Williams

Lewis' selection was unanimous.

While I salute their accomplishments, I'm going to have a hard time with the big three major awards this year given they are based on only two months of play. But, that's a moot point anymore.

Also of note from the above-linked article:

Quote:
A shortened regular season left precious little time for first impressions, but Lewis and Williams seized the moment. And in a season in which the Black Lives Matter movement and the cause of racial justice took on prominence in the sport, it was notable that Black players swept the award for the first time since 1984 (Dwight Gooden and Alvin Davis), three years before it was named for the barrier-breaking Robinson.

So, that's historic in itself. Congratulations to both!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 11/10/20 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is something to celebrate for sure.

I am somewhat disappointed Jake Cronenworth did not get more votes. He tied for second place.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/10/20 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I'm a little miffed that Dustin May didn't get any more support than he did. Heck, the kid fills in on short notice for Clayton on Opening Day, goes out and gets a win, stays in the rotation out of necessity the rest of the way, and also works bullpen duty when needed. He was a key part of the Dodgers winning when other pitchers were struggling and they were without the services of their No. 3 guy throughout the season.

But, oh well.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: