Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offseason Passings - 2020-21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 12/11/20 12:02 am    Post subject: Offseason Passings - 2020-21 Reply with quote

The most notable one in recent weeks is Dick Allen, but I'll have to post about others as well.

Rest in peace.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 12/11/20 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I may barely remember him but he was among the best players in baseball at the time in the 1960s. I hear a lot being said about how much others respected him. At least I am hearing it now.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 12/12/20 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know Charley Pride the C&W singer, used to be a professional baseball player? I didn't know. Since he just died today from COVID, here is an article I read and learned more about him. He was 86. Rest in peace.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 12/31/20 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sunny - that was really interesting. Charley Pride was a favorite of many in my family.

This is really sad news - Desi Herrera has died at 46 of cancer. He was so influential to many as a coach. Rest in peace, Desi. Article from Union Tribune
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 1/1/21 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard about that. He had such a positive impact on so many young players, I know he will be missed. A guy with a huge heart, and he was only 46. Sad Condolences to his family.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/17/21 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being away for a week, I feel like I was buried in a deluge. When I got back I was further behind than when I left, so even then I didn't get back to posting regularly for another week.

A lot of baseball news was happening the first week of this year, and one of the saddest items of note was the passing of Vin's wife, Sandi Scully, on January 4. (We lost Tommy later that week, but that is a separate thread for the Hall of Fame manager.)

Sandi passed away of ALS, and I can only imagine the pain Vin and family are going through now. This is the second wife he's lost. For all the games we have missed having him for, I'm so glad he had those last four years with his beloved wife while having an uninterrupted schedule. And I'm so grateful that she lent him to us during the season for so long, which means so much to Dodger fans. She was our family. May she, too, rest in peace. Crying or Very sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/18/21 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a rough week especially thinking about other non baseball things going on. I admired Mrs. Scully, she always seemed so classy and humble like her husband.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/19/21 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was a treasure! This was a surprise to most of us.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 1/30/21 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though he was not a player or manager, he was a super Dodger fan so I thought maybe I should post about Larry King's death. He was a true sports fan overall but I know he loved our boys in blue from being born in Brooklyn and then again in L.A. Rest in peace.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 2/1/21 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really sad - a UK pitcher has passed away, he was only 22. His name was Ben Jordan and he was a sophomore righty. Here's the article from Baseball America but it doesn't say what the cause of death was. Sad Rest in peace, hombre joven.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/2/21 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly untimely--condolences to his coach, teammates and family. Sad

And yes, LK does deserve some mention as a fan among fans. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/3/21 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May he rest in peace.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/13/21 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has a lot of updates coming.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/10/21 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 1959 world champion Dodger has passed away--Norm Sherry.

And yes, he also coached with both the Padres and Angels.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/11/21 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in blue heaven!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/13/21 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he was the pitching coach for our 1984 World series team. Good guy, and was a La Jolla resident. He played parts for all 3 Socal teams, like a few others we can think of. But I will especially remember him for being the first Padres pitching coach to take them to the Fall Classic.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/14/21 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever noticed how many ex-Dodgers coached for successful Padres teams? Shocked

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 3/15/21 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I sure have.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/21 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough on that! Mad

Uni High's old baseball coach Dick Serrano passed away at age 80. He coached the Dons for 30 years and saw a few legends come through. And he continued when they moved to Cathedral Catholic's campus, then retired in 2000. The article I am linking says at the time of his retirement he was "winningest baseball coach in San Diego Section history with 549 victories."

Rest in peace, Coach. Article from Union Tribune
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/16/21 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read that, too. He's so old he was coaching against my Komets when I was in high school! Surprised Definitely a local coaching legend. Rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/28/21 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Yankee Bobby Brown has passed away.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/1/21 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...this was a busy offseason for passings, but I'm shutting this one down now. After this last one:

Former Cardinals third baseman Ken Reitz has passed away at age 69. The 11-year veteran played the majority of his career in St. Louis. He died on March 31.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: