Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padres 2021 - Is This Our Year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 7/24/21 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is still "to be determined."

Blake Snell finally had a good road start and my Padres have won the first 2 games of their series in Miami. Due to the fact both division teams to the north of San Diego lost their games last night, my boys are 4.5 games out of first place now! Lots of baseball left and things could get very heated again.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/25/21 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the series did not end up as well as it started. My boys split by losing the last 2 games. They go back to 5.5 out of first place. But, El Nino did hit his 30th home run in Saturday's loss, and made a little bit of history. From padres.com, "It took 82 games for the 22-year-old slugger to reach 30 home runs in a season, the fewest games needed to reach the mark for any player his age or younger."

A day off tomorrow for travel day & then they come back to play a 2 game series at Petco Park vs. Oakland. Next weekend, it will be the Rockies at home and after that, they turn right around to play Oakland in the East Bay.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 7/28/21 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home and winning again! At least 1 in a row, Lol. My Padres beat Oakland last night and have a day game today which will start in about an hour. Adam Frazier is contributing already! Good move getting him! Even Chris Paddack pitched well last night!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/29/21 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that did not last - but we get the Rockies in town now. My Padres split the 2 games with Oakland, and I am very disappointed in Blake Snell. All along the talk has been how his bad starts are on the road and he pitches well at Petco Park. Mostly that is true. Yesterday in an afternoon game, he got shelled early and was out of the game after a couple of innings losing 7-0. The final score was 10-3. He was facing a very good team, of course but I expected a decent start since he was pitching "at home." There have just been too many question marks with him - mostly road starts but some at home, too. He is not the quality pitcher I expected when we got him.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/30/21 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yesterday in an afternoon game, he got shelled early

He got Snelled? Laughing Maybe a new word. (Sorry!)
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 7/31/21 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

Unfortunately that is too close to the truth!

I can say I am not very happy right now what with 2 losses at home to the Rockies. And Snell was not pitching those games, either! With both teams ahead of us winning today, we needed to win to keep pace.

Also, El Nino (shoulder) and Chris Paddack are both on the IL now.

Our guys are frustrated and so is our skipper - Jayce Tingler was ejected tonight after a bad call on a third strike for Jurickson Profar.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/1/21 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being without him is a key loss--sorry. But at the same time, this is where having the depth of another infielder like Adam Frazier can possibly help.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/1/21 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, or Jake Cronenworth, or Ha-Seong Kim. Both of them got starts at SS the last couple of days. Today, my Padres finally had a dominating win again, 8-1, and Kim had a nice game, doubling and homering. Also today Jake moved across the diamond to play first and was 3 for 4.

Another 2 game series coming up against Oakland, this time up north.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/6/21 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I last posted, my Padres had a short 2 game road trip to Oakland, where they split 2 games (second game was an extra inning loss) - now are back home to host the Diamondbacks this weekend. They now trail the Battery Chuckers by 7 games in the standings. For the next 2 weeks they play only teams with losing record so we shall see how that goes.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/21 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you guys fell into the rut we did--every time that team by the bay loses, our teams lose, too. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/8/21 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and then the reverse yesterday. My Padres lost on Friday night after taking an early 5-0 lead and then self destructed. The next night, they won and looked like a good team again, behind Yu, and everything was super again. Today, the rubber game. You should not lose a series to the Diamondbacks if you are a serious playoffs contender.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/8/21 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today another win with a super performance by Blake Snell. He Ked 13 batters. My Padres won, 2-0. Madbum lost for the Diamondbacks!

The Marlins will be in for 3 games this week before my boys go to Arizona next weekend.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/15/21 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness. This week was sure sobering for my boys. They won 2 of 3 in a series against the Marlins, here at Petco Park, and then went over to play the Diamondbacks on the road which has been horrible so far. The team with the worst record in baseball not only beat my boys the first 3 of the 4 games, but they were no hit! They are going to have to really work to salvage a game today. El Niño is itching to get back and he is being primed to play outfield now. The Reds are on our tail for the second wild card spot, and are not slowing down.

After visiting Coors Field this week for 3 games they will make their way home to San Diego to host the Phillies next weekend and then...the Dodgers! Surprised
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/17/21 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

My team is in freefall Crying or Very sad and just barely hanging on to the second wild card spot thanks to the way the red hot Reds have been playing and they are knocking on our door!

After the boys lost the first 3 games in Arizona, I was despondent but perked up the next day when El Nino returned to the lineup, playing right field. He was 4 for 5 with 2 homers! The joy he brings and the difference he makes in the lineup can be so uplifting to our fans who are suffering along with the team.

So my Padres salvaged that last game in Arizona and then moved on to Coors Field to play the Rockies. They got walked off in the first game last night. It is just crushing right now. What is worst about this stretch is they are failing this test, the "easy" part where they were playing only bad teams, and they are looking miserable against teams with much worse records. So, I am feeling sad right now.
Crying or Very sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/18/21 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have lost the first 2 games in Colorado. Too depressing to update in detail. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/18/21 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Cath, I feel you there. All I can say is there are still five weeks left of the season, and you know I've been there. Right now you're already in position, so hopefully they'll figure out how to hold on to that over the next five weeks.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/22/21 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not anymore. Sad I feel so dejected right now and unless they find some mojo fast I feel like the team is probably demoralized too.

Losing the series at home to the Phillies was not as bad as say, losing to the Diamondbacks or Rockies, but still just kind of drives home the point they cannot hang with these teams when it matters. Now, I know we always get up for the Dodgers series, and of course the Dodgers are coming to San Diego this week, but if they cannot win other series besides that, beating the Dodgers will not give me any more satisfaction.

After weeks between games, we went to the game at Petco on Friday. Another loss. Only the win on Saturday was between the losses and the Phillies just outplayed my boys in just about every area of the game.

Now to the time when we are on opposing sides of the next 3 games. I know the Dodgers have been very hot lately, but my team is fighting for their lives!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/25/21 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there tonight and sad to say, I am not even excited about it. Sad Last night was more of the same we have seen the last couple of weeks, this time though losing to the Dodgers, 5-2. What a different sense than we had back during the series in June, feeling like we could still catch L.A. and maybe even S.F., too. At least with the loss last night we did not lose any ground in the wild card race because the Reds lost, too.

What has gone wrong - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/25/21 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, Cath. Hey--on another subject, I heard there was some snafu at the Phillies game on Saturday night where the entire sales system went down at Petco Park? What do you know about that? It sounds like a nightmare!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/27/21 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened in the Phillies series and we were not there, but had many friends there. The Padres finally had to offer free food and beverage for everyone in attendance but of course that made things a different kind of problem with everyone rushing the stands at once. The app they use for food services was down and not just at Petco Park but at other events in the country, too.

I am still shaking my head at how far this team has fallen. I will give credit to Dodgers pitching but this is just depressing to watch. My boys will play in Anaheim this weekend, and then in Arizona to close out the month of August.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/28/21 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heck, who knew all my boys had to do was play the other Socal team to get a win? Lol - Joe Musgrove handled the Angels just fine last night, my Padres won, 5-0. It was nice to get back into the win column for a change!

In a normal season of course we would have taken the Surfliner up to Anaheim to meet up with friends at one or more of these games, but this is still not a normal year. We have attended so many fewer games both at home, and on the road, than we usually do.

Since my boys are still fighting for a playoff spot, at this time all I can say is "wild card, here we come." Looks like the division battle is going to go down between the same top 2 teams, but unfortunately my team was not one of them, though we were expected to be. As long as we have something to play for, I am good.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/28/21 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I think that's all you can do, is be in it for whatever they can get in the form of a playoff spot.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/30/21 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Ryan Weathers! He has had such rough growing pains this season. We saw flashes of him being a really solid pitcher

In our short series with the Angels they followed the sharp start by Joe Musgrove with a 10-2 loss - a game you can only call "demoralizing" which is just the word everyone in the Padres media has been using. Ever since Weathers came back from the IL a month ago he has struggled. His ERA is 13.50 since then. And Weathers was not the only pitcher experiencing problems because even our more reliable relievers were hit hard.

Series starts against Diamondbacks tonight, in Chase Field.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/31/21 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres won 7-5 over the Diamondbacks last night. The Reds lost too, while El Niño and even Chris Paddack carried my boys to a W.

Reasons to be optimistic - article from padres.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/2/21 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another up and down week is coming to an end, and you Dodger ladies can join us at Petco Park to boo the Astros who are coming in to play my Padres this weekend! Smile Jake Arrieta will get another start for us & I hope it goes much better than the first! The Angels will come in for 2 games after that, and then the big series in L.A. against the Dodgers next weekend which will be followed by 4 big games in Oracle Park! (The week after that we will get them for 3 games at Petco.)

We got a glimpse of the best of Blake Snell during the series in Arizona this week - he threw 7 no hit innings before being removed. And then Yu Darvish struggled and the Diamondbacks beat him. Sad Otherwise it would have been the first sweep my boys were on the right end of in quite some time! - since they won the first 2 games. It was a good feeling to leave a horrible month of August behind and flip that calendar to September, though!

Is the glass half full or empty - here is the headline, "Padres Provoke Both Skepticism, Optimism" - link from padres.com
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 9/5/21 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your team had a nice blowout win of the Asterisks last night! That's always enjoyable for me. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/6/21 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres took the series from them! I have not felt that good about a series in awhile! After losing the first game on Friday, my boys came back to win big, 10-2, on Saturday.

We went to yesterday's game, which had a great ending. Jake's walk off home run got them the win, 4-3.

The Angels will come in next for 2 games.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/9/21 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake Snell seems like he has found his groove again. In the first game against the Angels this week, he lost his no hitter (second time out that he had one going late) but obviously for him to get to that point he has pitched very well over the last 2 starts. Our boys lost that one, 4-0, but my Padres got back at them last night with an 8-5. win. Now, it is on to L.A. to play the Dodgers for the weekend series. We are considering going to at least 1 of the games. I will let you ladies know when if we decide to, as it has been a couple of years since we went to a game there. My boys have not lost their fight yet. It seems very weird that this is only the second series there this year, and the first was played in April! That was when our team was playing a lot better. Anyway it was strange scheduling.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 9/12/21 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, Dodger ladies. My boys have lost 5 straight to the Dodgers now after owning them the first half of the season. The good thing for us was the Reds have lost at the same time which helps our wild card cause.

I loved the fight my boys showed in a late comeback last night but they still fell short and lost 5-4. El Nino was back at shortstop for the first time since July! He homered again in Dodger Stadium and now has 8 against L.A. this year! Most of any Padre ever against the same team, over a season! And we still have 4 games left to play against them!

Of course the injury to Jake the night before did not help when Julio hit him on the hand but that is said to be day to day. It should be a super pitching match up today with Max and Blake.

Now as far as attending the game last night, it was the first time we had been to Dodger Stadium in 2 years! The sprucing up they have done is pretty sweet. Nice to see you there, Linda! I know you left happier than we did! But still, a good game overall.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 9/13/21 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry/(not sorry)! I did feel bad for your boys but I will surely wish them well tonight! 10 more games with S.F. is zany scheduling!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: