Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE--AND ELSEWHERE--2021 SEASON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/31/21 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sluggish week is coming to an end...

To recap:

The Dodgers split the first two games in San Francisco, then lost the rubber game on Thursday afternoon, 5-0. David Price, attempting to groom himself into a starter again, took the loss for the Dodgers; Johnny Cueto got the win. That left L.A., once again, at three games behind S.F. and treading water (in McCovey Cove).

Moving to Arizona for a weekend series, the Dodgers suffered another loss in the opener last night, albeit a close one. El Gato got the start, facing Zac Gallen for AZ, but struggled with his control. Walking five, he was out of the game by the second inning. The Dodgers valiantly tried to back him and his successors, tying the game at 5 in the ninth inning, but went on to lose in the tenth, 6-5. It seems all too predictable, given their abysmal extra-innings record, and their futility at scoring a "free" runner from second base with nobody out. Jimmy Nelson took the loss for L.A.

A few positives from the game were Corey's long-awaited return from the IL, with a 2-for-5 game; CT3 hitting 2-for-5 with a home run and triple, and Albert's pinch RBI single in the eighth.

KJ struggled again, although in a non-save situation, but managed to get out of a jam in the bottom of the eighth.

The game had reached the four-hour mark before nine innings were completed.

Silver linings--both the Jints and Padres lost games at home. San Diego was routed by Colorado, while the Jints fell to the Astros--and how do you pick between those teams? For the record, this weekend, Houston is simply the lesser of two evils!

Joe and Orel's closing remarks were laments that this team can't continue to let opportunities to gain ground go unfulfilled.

Downside: The Dodgers used eight relievers in a game the day before an already-scheduled bullpen game is set to be played. MadMax2 and Danny D., you can't get here soon enough!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 8/7/21 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/1/21 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bullpen start, with Mitch White as the opener, and this time the Dodgers bats exploded for a 7-3 win. Rubber game today. Jints beat the Astros, so we tread water.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 8/1/21 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day off for the Dodgers tomorrow after winning this series in Arizona. But I'm waiting in anticipation for the big series starting on Tuesday! Beat those Asterisks* down good, Dodgers. Walker gets the start. The Ravine will really be rocking!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/1/21 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12-0 drubbing of the Diamondbacks finished off this series in Chase Field, and now the Dodgers head home for the Asterisks* series.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/3/21 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be an amped up atmosphere both tonight and tomorrow. I wish I were going but I've been to only 1 game in L.A. this year! Walker on the mound tonight, and he was out there in October 2017 as a rookie.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/3/21 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already reading reports about the playoff atmosphere there and the taunting the Astros are going to receive.

I'll be there tomorrow night! Max Scherzer's first start in Dodger Blue!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/4/21 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, way to go, Dodgers!

Mad

An intensely loud, sellout crowd, and you can't even scratch a run across in your "rematch." The Jints lose, you don't gain any ground. You waste another sparkling performance by Walker. You're shut out for the second time in one week. With a 3-0 win behind Lance McCullers, Jr., the Astros must really feel like they made a statement last night.

Welcome to L.A., Mr. Scherzer. I hope you brought your bat.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 8/5/21 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it turns out he didn't need it! Smile Watching from home I could tell the intensity was off the charts, so I can't wait to hear back about how the game experience was for you last night!

A friend from the East Coast said, "except for the palm trees, I could swear that game was being played in Philly." lol!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/5/21 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Good one!

What a night! When my friend Ken F. asked me to go to this game over a month ago, I thought, sure, would be fun--booing and heckling the Astros, mid-week game, going into the stretch run of the season. But with Mad Max II making his first start for L.A., there was even more of an excitement factor.

I dreaded the thought of seeing another game like the first game of the series, but the Dodgers were in control of this one from the start. They attacked Astros starting pitcher Jake Odorizzi right away, Max was in control through seven innings with 10 Ks, and the crowd interaction was priceless! Even better was Joe Kelly getting into the game to pitch the eighth (though he did allow a solo home run to one of Houston's top villains, Carlos Correa), but it was another wild ride with KJ in the ninth as he surrendered two more runs on a Kyle Tucker home run. Thankfully, by the time Max left the game, the Dodgers had built a 7-2 lead, and ended up winning only 7-5.

Mookie got the start at second base again, and led the way with two home runs in the first two innings, the second one a three-run shot. Will Smith and A.J. were successful with the longball as well. Everything the Dodgers didn't do against Lance McCullers Jr., they did right against Odorizzi.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/21 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lose some, you win some. Seems like the Dodgers are bouncing back and forth every day on that.

Welcoming the Angels to Dodger Stadium for Freeway Series 2.0 in 2021, the opening game on Friday night ended in yet another tough loss. With the Obnoxious Orange losing their game on the road in Milwaukee, it would have been a perfect opportunity to gain back one of the games the Dodgers lost in the standings last week. But, no. A close contest went into extra innings, and you know how that goes for the Dodgers this year. At this point, it's a dismal 1-12 record after nine are played! Who was that one win over? The Padres, back in April. Since then, it's been all downhill.

The Dodgers wasted an excellent effort by David Price with much better results than his previous start had seen. Price also contributed a hit.

KJ entered the game in the ninth in a non-save situation, and managed to survive without allowing a run! I don't know how long they can play this tightrope game; I really don't. I'm tending to agree with others who suggest this team might go with two closers based on match-ups, and really only use KJ in low-leverage situations (though he's now passed the test twice in a row). Blake Treinen has appeared to be the team's most reliable late-inning reliever thus far.

The Angels won, 5-4, in ten. Trea Turner was activated yesterday and made his first appearance as a Dodger, pinch-hitting in the ninth, but failed to reach base.

Trea Turner got the start at second base in this one, contributed his first Dodger hit, and walked. Big hits by Mad Max and Corey put the Dodgers up, 2-0, in the first.

Just as was the case in the Astros series, the Dodgers did more things right in the second game than they did in the first. That's not to say Julio had a good start for L.A., because he didn't look particularly dazzling. He got into pitch count trouble early and barely made it through five, allowing three runs (two earned). But the bullpen held up, Brusdar Graterol recorded the win, and KJ even notched a save (#23) with no drama! The Dodgers certainly suffered some defensive embarrassment with a dropped pop-up by Mad Max that allowed the third Angels run.

For the Angels, it was a quality start for Jaime Barria, who allowed three runs over six innings pitched, and left in line for the win. But once he exited, the Dodgers were able to break through. In the seventh, we were treated to a rare Belli-bomb (seems like ages since I've celebrated one of them!), and though another solo shot, it allowed the Dodgers to tie the game, 3-3. In the eighth, they broke the tie with--gasp!--timely hitting, key being a two-run double off the bat of CT3, ?off Anaheim reliever Junior Guerra, who took the loss.

Rubber game tomorrow. It seems I've been posting that a lot lately.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/21 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lose some, you win some. Seems like the Dodgers are bouncing back and forth every day on that.

Welcoming the Angels to Dodger Stadium for Freeway Series 2.0 in 2021, the opening game on Friday night ended in yet another tough loss. With the Obnoxious Orange losing their game on the road in Milwaukee, it would have been a perfect opportunity to gain back one of the games the Dodgers lost in the standings last week. But, no. A close contest went into extra innings, and you know how that goes for the Dodgers this year. At this point, it's a dismal 1-12 record after nine are played! Who was that one win over? The Padres, back in April. Since then, it's been all downhill.

The Dodgers wasted an excellent effort by David Price with much better results than his previous start had seen. Price also contributed a hit.

KJ entered the game in the ninth in a non-save situation, and managed to survive without allowing a run! I don't know how long they can play this tightrope game; I really don't. I'm tending to agree with others who suggest this team might go with two closers based on match-ups, and really only use KJ in low-leverage situations (though he's now passed the test twice in a row). Blake Treinen has appeared to be the team's most reliable late-inning reliever thus far.

The Angels won, 5-4, in ten. Trea Turner was activated yesterday and made his first appearance as a Dodger, pinch-hitting in the ninth, but failed to reach base.

Trea Turner got the start at second base in this one, contributed his first Dodger hit, and walked. Big hits by Mad Max and Corey put the Dodgers up, 2-0, in the first.

Just as was the case in the Astros series, the Dodgers did more things right in the second game than they did in the first. That's not to say Julio had a good start for L.A., because he didn't look particularly dazzling. He got into pitch count trouble early and barely made it through five, allowing three runs (two earned). But the bullpen held up, Brusdar Graterol recorded the win, and KJ even notched a save (#23) with no drama! The Dodgers certainly suffered some defensive embarrassment with a dropped pop-up by Mad Max that allowed the third Angels run.

For the Angels, it was a quality start for Jaime Barria, who allowed three runs over six innings pitched, and left in line for the win. But once he exited, the Dodgers were able to break through. In the seventh, we were treated to a rare Belli-bomb (seems like ages since I've celebrated one of them!), and though another solo shot, it allowed the Dodgers to tie the game, 3-3. In the eighth, they broke the tie with--gasp!--timely hitting, key being a two-run double off the bat of CT3, ?off Anaheim reliever Junior Guerra, who took the loss.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/21 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers wasted an excellent effort by David Price with much better results than his previous start had seen. Price also contributed a hit. Patrick Sandoval started for the Halos and also pitched well.

The Angels won, 4-3, in ten. Trea Turner was activated yesterday and made his first appearance as a Dodger, pinch-hitting in the ninth, but failed to reach base.

For the Angels, it was a quality start for Jaime Barria, who allowed three runs over six innings pitched, and left in line for the win. But once he exited, the Dodgers were able to break through. In the seventh, we were treated to a rare Belli-bomb (seems like ages since I've celebrated one of them!), and though another solo shot, it allowed the Dodgers to tie the game, 3-3. In the eighth, they broke the tie with--gasp!--timely hitting, key being a two-run double off the bat of CT3, off Anaheim reliever Junior Guerra, who took the loss.

They still trail the Jints by four games in the NL West standings, because of course that team won again, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 8/7/21 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/7/21 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Angels, it was a quality start for Jaime Barria, who allowed three runs over six innings pitched, and left in line for the win. But once he exited, the Dodgers were able to break through. In the seventh, we were treated to a rare Belli-bomb (seems like ages since I've celebrated one of them!), and though another solo shot, it allowed the Dodgers to tie the game, 3-3. In the eighth, they broke the tie with--gasp!--timely hitting, key being a two-run double off the bat of CT3, off Anaheim reliever Junior Guerra, who took the loss.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/8/21 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know that feeling as it seems to be like my team is playing, too.

I have to say I think for a big market team Cody and KJ are lucky to be playing in L.A. In some large markets they would have been booed every time they came into the game or came up to bat. I would not want to see how Cody would fare in Philadelphia going through this season.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/8/21 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know! Surprised

Dodgers have called up RHP Kevin Quackenbush? I forgot this guy was even in our system!--until he took the mound in L.A. today. LHP Darien Nunez was placed on the IL in a corresponding move.

Full game coverage coming later.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/9/21 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted yesterday during the Dodgers-Angels game that I was surprised by who entered the game in relief for L.A.

Well, as it turned out, Kevin Quackenbush was only the first of two whom I didn't know were on the roster. Justin Bruihl, whom some may recall as a LHP out of Cal Poly SLO, was called up and made his Dodgers debut following Kevin Q.

But let's go back to the beginning of the game. Walker took the mound for the Dodgers, and although he didn't have his best stuff, he managed to get out of jams and hold the Angels to one run over six innings. Because that's Walker. He knows how to pitch when the ball isn't working right for him. And while recording his 12th win of the season, he now leads the NL in both quality starts and ERA. With the Mets' Jacob DeGrom's health issues, this may move our guy to the top of the CYA discussion. I am so proud he's ours.

Meanwhile, Albert homered against his former team, a two-run shot in the second, and I'm loving Trea Turner at the top of our lineup. He notched two hits, including a lead-off in the first, and came around to score the Dodgers' first run that inning. A.J. and CT3 came through with two hits apiece, and heck, even Cody homered for the second time in the series.

The Dodgers won, 8-2. Reid Detmers took the loss in his second start for the Angels.

On to Philadelphia we march (or, rather, fly), to start a three-game series tomorrow. And make no mistake, this Phillies team is playing much better than the Phillies team the Dodgers beat at Dodger Stadium in May. They've won eight straight and have captured first place in the NL East, as already noted by Cathy yesterday.

Bad news: Rojo Chingon's hamstring. He left the game but it's undetermined whether he'll be moved to the IL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/15/21 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize this week:

The Dodgers started a six-game road trip swing to face two NL East powerhouses, the Phillies and Mets, and have won four of those five games so far.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 8/15/21 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was just 2 weeks ago we were talking about "where is the urgency?" Hey, DB, I think they finally found the urgency! Mark your calendar, it was in the second week of August!

Some things are starting to click even though nothing is constant but the change! I feel good having MadMax II on the mound tonight going for the sweep. I get tired of hearing everyone handing the division to the Jints already. This season goes on for 162 games!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/15/21 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did, Sunny! And then they scorched their way out of the East Coast with a 13-4 win tonight!

Back to the Ravine tomorrow...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/16/21 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super road trip! Proud of the guys. Everyone keeps making a big deal about how they keep winning but can't gain ground. So what, just keep winning. The Jints are a very good team but they're not invincible.

The Dodgers called up RHP Andre Jackson for today's game. It's going to be a bullpen start with Justin Bruihl as the opener but Jackson will get into the game at some time.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/17/21 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pitching at the Ravine last night! The Dodgers won, 2-1, to "keep pace" with the Battery Chuckers.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/18/21 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After last night's 4-3 win, the Dodgers will go for the sweep tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 8/19/21 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the pressure on the Jints! Evil or Very Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/19/21 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jints are idle today, the Dodgers are winning in the first of a four-game set with the Mets, and they're coming off a three-game sweep of the Pirates. I'll report back after the game is over.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/20/21 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers sealed the deal with the Pirates, capitalizing on the Jints' loss that afternoon, and moved 2.5 games back of S.F. for the NL West lead.

Then they started a four-game series with the Mets, winning both of the first two games, and the light is starting to shine brighter.

See, you can bristle at your team's lethargy over the last few weeks, you can grumble about their failure to take advantage of rare Jints losses to gain on them in the standings, and you can bemoan their "lack of urgency."

Then a few days go by, and just like that you blinked and what was a five-game lead for the Battery Chuckers earlier this week has dwindled to 1.5 tonight.

And you feel excited because you're going to tomorrow's game at Dodger Stadium, an afternoon contest, everything starts to feel upbeat again.

*Never surrender!*

Walker did it again tonight, beating the Mets, 3-2.

Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/22/21 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have never convinced me I might need a hoodie for a game in August at Dodger Stadium, but yesterday's cooler weather, while welcome, was a bit surprising.

The Dodgers beat the Mets again, 4-3, behind Mad Max II.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/22/21 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, the nine-game winning streak came to an end today, at about the same time the Jints beat the "A"s in Oakland, and thus, the gap between the top two teams in baseball--and the NL West's elite--reverted to 2.5 games again.

On to San Diego, and hoping for better results in this mid-week, three-game set at Petco Park in August, than that mid-week, three-game set at Petco Park in June.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/24/21 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers are a better team today than they were 2 months ago, and the Padres are not. But, they are fighting for their lives, so it might end up being a good series anyway.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/25/21 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I liked the tone the Dodgers set. Smile

Yes, it was a bullpen start for the Padres, and Julio took the mound for the Dodgers. But the highlights--a 5-2 win, the Padres limited to three hits over the course of the game, big play by A.J. robbing Manny of a home run, solo shot by Will Smith early on and some clutch hitting late in the game. Overall, a team effort which was sorely needed as the Jints were winning big in New York when the Dodgers and Padres took the field in San Diego. Oh, of course K.J. made it interesting in the ninth because that's what he does, but he did get the save.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/26/21 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I was there all 16 innings! (Not a personal record, but on a weeknight, no less!)

Dodgers win, 5-3!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: