Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE--AND ELSEWHERE--2021 SEASON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 8/26/21 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on keeping pace! As good as our team is, that other team is just a *little* bit better right now. It will even out in the end, though!

And what more proof do we need about how stupid that automatic runner rule is, when neither team could get them across for all those innings?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/26/21 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's a sweep from Petco Park, tables turned from the mid-June series between the two teams. Tonight's game was much cleaner than last night's, a simple nine-inning shutout by magnificent Max, who's now 4-0 as a Dodger. And 4-0 was the final score, as well.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/28/21 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not such a good start to the Rockies series, now that the Dodgers have returned home. Colorado is known for having the worst road record of any MLB team this year, but they won one in the opening game of this set, 4-2. Let's say not only was it frustrating to lose, but extremely so given the Jints had just lost in the Eastern time zone as our game was getting underway--so the team lost another opportunity to gain a game. They remain 2.5 behind the Water Hoarders, still with the second-best record in the majors.

Brusdar Graterol was the opener in a bullpen start, but it was rookie Andre Jackson who took the loss after 4- 2/3 innings pitched. Kyle Freeland started for the Rockies and threw six solid innings, limiting the Dodgers to two runs, as the Rockies won, 4-2. The Dodgers' only damage done was in the third inning on two solo shots by Will Smith and Trea Turner, the extent of their scoring throughout the game.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/28/21 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just wouldn't be the Dodgers if they didn't do this! Evil or Very Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/28/21 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and can you believe, another bullpen start tonight! Exclamation

Corey Knebel opened, David Price took the brunt, and the Dodgers beat the Rockies, 5-2. Other Dodger bullpen arms--Phil Bickford, Justin Bruihl and Blake Treinen, who got the win--combined to keep the Rockies scoreless the rest of the game, capped off by "California Love." KJ moved into 14th place among the all-time saves leaders (hard for me to believe!) by throwing a scoreless inning tonight for his 29th of the season.

Jon Gray started for the Rockies, but didn't make it past the second inning. CT3's solo shot in the third inning tied the game at 2, then Will Smith's bases-loaded single in the eighth off Rockies reliever Daniel Bard was the key hit in a three-run rally. L.A. outhit Colorado, 7-3, and was able to "keep ace" once again with the Jints, who had won earlier in Atlanta. *sigh*

Nobody promised it would be easy, and it's much more interesting when it's not.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 8/29/21 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true - but I am stumped at having 3 straight bullpen games. I suppose it is because they figured the Dodgers could take a series at home against the worst road team in the NL. In the end it was more of a problem that the Dodgers could not score runs today, than that they had another bullpen start. All this because of 2 big series coming up this week. How do you feel about the matchups, DB?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/30/21 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Andrew Friedman likes to give guys an extra day rest toward the end of the season, but I'm in agreement with DV, why not wait until after this weekend's series?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/31/21 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After how good Julio looked last night I guess I don't object to him having an extra day. For whatever it's worth it paid off very nicely.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/31/21 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.5 out!!!

First time they've been this close since early July!

And what a pitching duel tonight between our ace 1A "The Cucumber" and Charlie Morton for the Braves! Atlanta took an early 2-0 lead, but the Dodgers fought back to tie the game and then took the lead in the bottom of the eighth. KJ pitched a seamless ninth inning and the Dodgers won, 3-2, gaining a game by virtue of the Brewers' second consecutive win over the Jints at Oracle Park.

The Dodgers close out the month of August at 21-6. Fasten those seat belts because I have a feeling September is going to be one hell of a ride!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/2/21 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 1 arrived and our Dodgers are in first place!!!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/2/21 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be some weekend series in Oracle Park! You may be rooting for my Padres soon since we still have a few games left with that team! Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 9/3/21 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we will, lol.

Showdown in the City this weekend.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/4/21 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the end it was a 3-2 Jints win in extra innings, but I still have reasons to feel good about the rest of the weekend.

In what was a bullpen start for the Dodgers with Corey Knebel opening, we saw a little bit of everything in last night's game--except home runs!

Which is good in a sense, because while both teams had to scratch for runs, it made it more interesting--and in the end, it was an 11th inning error on a very close play that allowed the winning run to score.

-The Dodgers being held scoreless by a starting pitcher they'd roughed up this season to the tune of a nine-run ERA while facing them.

-L.A. scoring its first run with two outs in the ninth inning to tie the game, 1-1.

-Walker pinch-running for the Dodgers at third base and scoring the go-ahead run.

-Rojo Chingon getting caught off third base twice--denying the Dodgers two more runs--on what I saw as sloppy baserunning. I haven't heard anything from Dino Ebel about that, but how it could happen twice, late in the game, is head-scratching.

-Will Smith playing first base and being pulled off the bag with a throw in the 11th, which allowed the Jints to score the winning run.

But:

That was our team's bullpen start. The next two days are their bullpen starts, and their 'pen is coming off throwing in extras. Furthermore, the Dodgers have two of their best going in Julio and Walker, so our bullpen will hopefully get some rest.

Now to see if the Dodgers step back into their hitting shoes again.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/5/21 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in a first-place tie!

Let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the Dodgers setting the tone for yesterday's game in the first inning! They took control, handed a lead to Julio, and played their game the rest of the way.

Now, the rubber game...the one that determines who leaves the series with the division lead. Take it to 'em, Walker!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 9/5/21 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this. As frustrating as this team has been to watch for some parts of this season - I love what they are doing now. It's like September means stretch run, keep on the pressure, fight for what's ours! Or what has been ours for 8 seasons - and we hope to make it 9.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/6/21 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Well, finally, it was Buehler's day off.

But the silver lining behind this is, he's been so good for so long, he was due for a bad start. And I'd rather he get that out of the way now while we're still neck-and-neck with the Jints.

S.F. won, 6-4, with another bullpen start and getting to Walker early on.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/6/21 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Dodgers have moved on, with a start time less than 24 hours later but two time zones east, and they're back in the W column.

With Mad Max II getting the start in the first of four games in St. Louis, there were two stories in this game--one, his pitching, and two, the Dodgers attacking in the first inning for an early 5-0 lead. Miles Mikolas got the start for the Cardinals and L.A. hitters jumped on him quickly. CT3's two-run shot highlighted the scoring, and that was enough for the Dodgers' co-ace. Final score, Dodgers 5, Cards 1.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/7/21 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day, Dodgers win Smile and Jints win. Sad And they keep pace, which is all they can do.

But there were many interesting things to say about tonight's Dodgers game in St. Louis.

First, it was only Albert's second return visit to his former home stadium, as he made a previous appearance with the Angels in 2019, receiving a warm welcome--and homered.

Tonight, with Mad Max getting the night off, Albert was in the lineup playing first, and homered in the first inning, repeating his feat with the Halos.

That was just the beginning. J.A. Happ was on the mound for St. Louis, a 14-year veteran starting pitcher who in his long career has beaten every major league team except the Dodgers. Tonight would be no exception, as his lifetime record moved to 0-4 vs. L.A.

Getting the ball for the Dodgers was opener Corey Knebel in yet another bullpen game--and get this, we'll have another one tomorrow!--followed by a succession of eight more relievers. Between them all, the Cardinals were limited to two runs, while the Dodgers launched four home runs out of Busch Stadium, two by Rojo Chingon and another by Will Smith, who was 4-for-4 in the game. Final score L.A. 7, St. Louis 2. Alex Vesia picked up the win, and I really like the maturity this kid has developed over these few months.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 9/8/21 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was puzzling how we all thought Mitch White was going to carry the bulk of the load in that game, but he didn't. Doc was saying that all along and I think it threw everyone in the media a curve, along with the fans. Question
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/8/21 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and then Mitch White got the bulk today, and they were within striking distance of a 4-2 deficit, when the Cardinals added a run late. So what did the Dodgers do? They decided to bust out in the ninth inning when they were down by three, and scored only two. L.A. lost the game, 5-4.

It is the Dodgers' way. They do nothing easy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/11/21 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so they returned to the Ravine, and the two-game losing streak was over. Meanwhile, the Jints won again. Mad

And that's the kind of game I enjoy most, a tidy little win where the Dodgers did enough things right to win, 3-0.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/12/21 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hard-fought Dodgers-Padres game which got too close for comfort, for me!

Expect a full "Ravin' " report later on today.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 9/12/21 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can say neither team is hitting too much, but I will give credit to Dodger pitching. I think you have the best big 3 in baseball and if CK comes back strong then it will be even deeper. That said - I have not liked the scores of the first 2 games! Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/13/21 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a clean sweep, and a just-missed perfect game.

Now we Dodger fans will put on our Padre caps for the next four days as you take on those battery-chucking, water-hoarding, obnoxious orange Jints!

Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 9/13/21 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, and Cody even doubled! Our guys need to stay on a roll. CK is back tonight and starting!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/14/21 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Dodgers win again!

If all they can do is keep pace, so be it. Someone has to blink at some point, and it may as well be S.F. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 9/14/21 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tip my cap to Dodgers pitching this weekend. Julio, Walker, Max, all pitched great games. This division is surely the toughest one in baseball!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is, despite the two bottom feeders. Smile

Our Dodgers re back in the playoffs for the ninth consecutive year! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers win, 5-3, behind Julio, and meanwhile, Padres win in San Francisco, 9-5.

The gap is narrowed to 1.5 games with 15 left to play.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 9/16/21 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB? Come on, we need an update. Our Dodgers closed out a perfect homestand! Now on the road to Cincinnati and it'll be the last Eastern time zone trip of the season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: