Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NL Cy Young Award Contenders - Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 9:53 pm    Post subject: NL Cy Young Award Contenders - Discussion Reply with quote

If you had asked anyone about the NL Cy Young front-runner any time up until two weeks ago, it was clearly Walker who was the consensus in line to win it.

Then came that sub-par outing for him in Oracle Park on Labor Day weekend, when he not only failed to record a quality start for the first time in months, but lost the game, and subsequently, the ERA lead.

And since that date--on September 5--it's been Mad Max II who's in line for it, not only a teammate of Walker, but also a three-time CYA winner, who could conceivably win his fourth this year, his first with the Dodgers.

But don't leave Julio out of the mix. Yes, I know, his ERA is a full point above the other two, but he's the major leagues' first 18-game winner.

Personally, I'm of the thought that wins are not the barometer they once were in determining CYA worthiness. Quality starts, WHIP, ERA, etc. count for much more. Walker and Mad Max II have certainly gone deeper into games. And before the Dodgers' acquisition of Mad Max II, it was Walker who basically carried the Dodgers' rotation through its thinnest era of the season, the stretch in July and August when the team had only two healthy starting pitchers. For that alone, I think he deserves special consideration.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that there are three Dodgers in the NL CYA discussion this season--and none of them are named Clayton. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the beginning of the season I was predicting Jacob DeGrom for the Mets, and I hoped maybe a Padres starter might have some chance of competing for it. But now, at this point I have to think it will probably be Mad Max II winning it.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 9/16/21 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pulling hard for Walker, too. But until he joined the Dodgers I didn't notice how good a season Max was having. I mean, he's always a very good pitcher, but he could win his fourth one now, and he would snatch it from his own teammate just in the last month of the season. It doesn't really matter to me, though, as long as they all are at the top of their games in October. I'm happy for any one of these guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: