Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-Winter Thrills About to Begin! - 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/29/22 9:09 pm    Post subject: Mid-Winter Thrills About to Begin! - 2022 Reply with quote

And, here we are a couple of weeks away from the beginning of the season!

Here are BA.com's preseason rankings along with my comments!

-A surprise to me--UCLA ranked at No. 22.

-Texas at No. 1 (BOOOOO!).

-Stanford at No. 7--looking good.

-UCI ranked (at all) at No. 18

Texas

Vanderbilt

Mississippi State

Notre Dame

Virginia

Florida

Stanford

Arkansas

Mississippi

Louisiana State

Oregon State

Florida State

Arizona

Georgia

East Carolina

North Carolina State

Tennessee

UC Irvine

Oklahoma State

Nebraska

Georgia Tech

UCLA

Texas Tech

Old Dominion

Miami
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 1/30/22 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominated by SEC but what surprises me most is ACC is the conference with second most teams. I would think maybe UCLA's ranking is due to the fact they had higher expectations by being ranked in the top 10 last year and failed. They need to get some of that toughness back. Texas will go down!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 1/30/22 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am counting down the days, and my Aztecs open the season against TCU on MLB network! Although I am anxious for my Padres, there may be a silver lining to the lockout delaying preseason baseball.

The boys will have 10 true freshmen on the team this year, too. It will be a big series April 22-24 when they host Stanford!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/1/22 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big question I have is, will fans be allowed to attend these games now? Has anyone heard?
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 2/14/22 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! It is definite now and what with all the other restrictions being relaxed, and they have been allowing indoor attendance, outdoor games are wide open. This is why we will be at Fowler Park on Friday night to watch the Toreros open vs. Oregon. The Aztecs will open on the road at the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, playing TCU, Houston and Cal this weekend.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/15/22 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for this weekend!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/16/22 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game starts at 6. Maybe we could eat somewhere in the area beforehand?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest pho, and then realized I never posted my annual Tet thread! Surprised So I went back and did that. Smile

But there, that's on the table (figuratively, for now). Smile So many options close to the ballpark.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 2/24/22 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest pho, and then realized I never posted my annual Tet thread! Surprised So I went back and did that.

But there, that's on the table (figuratively, for now). Smile So many options close to the ballpark.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 2/24/22 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest pho, and then realized that I never posted my annual Tet thread yet! Surprised So I've gone back and done that now.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 2/24/22 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest pho and then realized I had never posted my annual Tet thread! Surprised So I've gone back and done that now.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 2/24/22 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest pho, and then realized I never posted my annual Tet thread! Surprised So I've gone back and done that now.

Meanwhile, there's this from MLB.com--seven storylines to follow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 2/24/22 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/22 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so much more excited this year than in any other year - if that's possible! I guess because it casts a pall over the regular MLB season not knowing what's going to happen. D1 baseball doesn't involve any negotiations and waiting for settlements!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/18/22 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Opening Day, ladies! Or evening, as it may be! Five hours until game time! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 2/19/22 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful evening last night out and celebrating the game we love - and its return even in non professional form. This was fine with me! I almost expected to read a report on opening night already, by Linda, this morning. I guess I beat her.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/19/22 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a little late getting my "report" together. There's a lot to say.

First, SDSU opened on the road at the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, against a very tough opponent in TCU. Although the Aztecs led by a tight 3-2 score through much of the game, in the ninth, the Horned Frogs were able to tie and go ahead, and won the game, 5-3. SDSU faces Houston today, then Cal tomorrow. They'll be back in the Golden State to face UCI in Irvine on Tuesday, then host their home opener at Tony Gwynn Stadium on Friday night vs. Hawaii as the Gwynn Legacy Tournament gets underway. Utah, Fresno State and UNLV will also participate over that weekend on Montezuma Mesa.

With the Toreros opening at home in Fowler Park against a quality team out of the Pac, I didn't expect them to dominate so, but they did, opening the floodgates offensively to beat Oregon, 11-1. Garrett Rennie got the start for USD and notched the win with 6- 1/3 innings of one-run ball. A two-run shot by third baseman Chase Meidroth got the scoring going in the bottom of the first, but that was the only power stroke for the Toreros all game, with most scoring taking place via small ball and Oregon errors (three total). They'll host the Ducks for three more in this series.

And, hey, let's not forget about our other team in San Diego--UCSD, which struggled in its first season after being promoted to D1 in 2021. But as the Union-Tribune notes, the Tritons are out to prove themselves all over again this year, opening with a four-game set at Triton Ballpark against Seattle. UCSD won the first one, 8-7, with a walk-off rally. However, they're predicted to finish toward the bottom of the pack in the Big West (ninth of 11 teams). It's a tough one among the "lesser" conferences which features Long Beach State, CSU Fullerton and Cal Poly.

Looking north a bit, CSU Fullerton opened on the road against Stanford at the Sunken Diamond, and the Cardinal won by a razor-thin 1-0 heartbreaker on an unearned run. The box score read like it was more of a "bullpen start" for Stanford, with five pitchers in short appearances combining for the shutout. The Titans actually out-hit the Cardinal, 5-2, but the first-inning run scored was all Stanford would need to notch their first win of 2022.

UCLA opened last night against CSU Northridge at Jackie Robinson Stadium, and recorded a decisive 9-2 win over the Matadors. Kyle Karros' first-inning triple to right got the scoring going with proud papa cheering on from the stands. Very Happy Freshman outfielder Malakhi Knight was 3-for-4 with a home run in his first game as a Bruin.

USC beat UC Santa Clara in their home opener at Rod Dedeaux Field, 2-0. Tip of the cap to Trojans senior lefty Isaac Esqueda, who notched the win, pitching five scoreless innings. Sophomore SS D'Andre Smith's two-run home run in the bottom of the first off Broncos starting pitcher Cole Kitchen accounted for all the scoring in the game.

UCI opened on the road in Lafayette, LA and recorded a 7-4 win over the Ragin' Cajuns.

And yet, with all of that action in the west, a team from the Big West was making a statement in Mississippi. That would be Long Beach State, with a 3-0 win over the defending College World Series champions, Mississippi State! Luis Ramirez threw six shutout innings for the Dirtbags, backed by a Kaden Moeller home run in the seventh. Way to dampen the champs' celebration!

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 2/22/22 11:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 2/20/22 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good round up, DB! Aztecs won tonight over Houston, USD won against Oregon, 10-4.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/20/22 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the recap of opening weekend:

-SDSU didn't fare so well in Scottsdale, winning only the middle game of their three tournament pairings. Today, they lost to Cal, 6-3.

-USD continues to pour it on Oregon, which has been pretty surprising to me. Following their opening night rout, they won the next two, 10-4, and 5-4 this afternoon, and will play a Presidents Day matinee tomorrow to close out the series.

-UCSD has won three of its first four, taking the series from Seattle. The two teams split a doubleheader on Saturday, with the Tritons taking the first game by a 22-10 shellacking, followed by a 9-3 victory today.

-WTH, Stanford? The Cardinal scored a grand total of one run in its first two games, losing to CSUF, 11-0, yesterday, then bouncing back to win, 11-1, today. Such inconsistency!

-UCLA won their series over CSUN, losing the middle game, 6-4, then prevailing today in 13 innings, 5-3 on a walk-off homer by (drum roll, please) freshman second baseman Ethan Gourson out of Pt. Loma High!

-USC failed to complete the sweep today in a loss to UCSC, 9-7.

-Following an opening night win, UCI lost their opening series to Louisiana, with a pair of setbacks to the Ragin' Cajuns. They'll be back in Irvine on Tuesday to host their home opener with our Aztecs.

-Long Beach State took the opening series in Starkville, MS, outscoring the Bulldogs, 16-3, in the first two games. MSU roared back to win the series finale, 12-4. The Dirtbags will host Sacramento State next Friday for their home opener at Blair Field.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 2/22/22 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/22/22 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the rundown - I can't wait for more of it.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/24/22 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that a historic first took place on Tuesday, UCSD faced USC for the first time ever, and beat them, 6-2. The game was played at Dedeaux Field. Tritons get Washington next for a 4 game series in La Jolla starting tomorrow night!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/24/22 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for updating that, Cath. It kind of makes me want to take in one of the games this weekend, what about you?

Meanwhile, here are this week's rankings from Baseball America (look who's No. 6 after starting the season unranked!):

Texas

Notre Dame

Oklahoma State

Virginia

Stanford

Long Beach State

Vanderbilt

Mississippi State

Arkansas

Mississippi

Louisiana State

Oregon State

Florida State

Arizona

Georgia

North Carolina State

Tennessee

Liberty

Florida

Georgia Tech

UCLA

Bryant

Old Dominion

Miami

East Carolina

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/25/22 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tony Gwynn legacy tournament is here! Go Aztecs!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 2/26/22 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDSU beat Hawaii last night, 7-1. Home opener at Tony Gwynn Stadium. Of course I don't have to tell anyone here, just stating it for the record. Smile Then they play Utah tonight, and I'm going, in case anyone else can join.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/1/22 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sorry our schedule did not allow that to happen but I felt bad for you that you got to see the worst of the 2 games vs. Utah! We went on Sunday and were thrilled with the comeback when they won, 4-3 thanks to Brian Leonhardt's walk off 2-run single. Exciting game for our first time at TG Stadium this season.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/1/22 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I got to see the 4-0 loss. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/1/22 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New BA.com rankings are as follows, and I will add a few personal comments where necessary. Note Stanford has moved up to No. 2!

1. Texas

2. Stanford

3. Notre Dame

4. Oklahoma State

5. Virginia

6. Mississippi

7. Vanderbilt

8. Louisiana State

9. Oregon State

10. Arkansas

11. Mississippi State

12. Florida State

13. Arizona

14. Georgia

15. North Carolina State

16. Tennessee

17. Liberty

18. Florida

19. Georgia Tech

20. Sacramento State

21. Maryland

22. Long Beach State

23. UCLA

24. Old Dominion

25. Miami

Comments:

-Why in the world did they elevate LBSU so much last week after starting unranked? Tumbling to No. 23 in the second week of the season is pretty embarrassing. Sad But there was just cause--the Dirtbags were swept at home by Sacramento State! Still, today's game matching up No. 22 & 23 should be a good one to watch, to be played at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

-Losses to Pepperdine and Nebraska in the same week didn't help UCLA's cause. But as BA notes, RHP Jake Brooks threw seven shutout innings over UCR over the weekend, with 12 Ks. The Bruins swept that series, but the walk-off squeeze bunt in the finale by catcher Tommy Beres locked it up in a wild finish.

-Stanford enjoyed a superb tournament in Round Rock, Texas, beating Louisiana, Indiana and Arkansas, by a combined score of 23-1. Love that Cardinal pitching shining on the road!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/1/22 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am streaming that LB-UCLA game right now, Bruins are up, 3-0. I agree the Dirtbags may have gotten a bit too much of a bump after that opening weekend.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 3/2/22 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also not mentioned but in the Gwynn Legacy Tournament, USD won 1 game, over Fresno State and lost 2, both to UNLV. In the win over the Bulldogs USD sophomore RHP Brycen Mautz threw 6 shutout innings and struck out 9.

Toreros are 4-3 now.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/7/22 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for updating that, Sunny.

UCLA played in a tournament at Minute Maid Park in Houston this weekend, and I was thrilled that MLB Network decided to broadcast Sunday afternoon's game! The Bruins had lost a close one to Baylor, 2-1, in the opener on Friday, followed by a shellacking of Oklahoma, 15-3. That set up the showdown with No. 1 Texas, in which UCLA prevailed, 5-1.

More updates and the new rankings, to follow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/8/22 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our poor Aztecs have had a rough start to the season. Raul and I went to their game vs. ASU at Tony Gwynn Stadium on Saturday in spite of it being chilly and drizzly - and they lost on top of that, 6-4. They did avoid the sweep by winning on Sunday. But their record so far this year is 4-8. Of course, in baseball we are always comforted by knowing it is a "long season."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: