Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-Winter Thrills About to Begin! - 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/9/22 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...very true!

Here are the latest BA.com rankings. Note that UCLA has moved up to No. 15.

Texas

Stanford

Notre Dame

Mississippi

Virginia

Oklahoma State

Vanderbilt

Oregon State

Arkansas

Florida State

Tennessee

Liberty

Florida

Georgia Tech

UCLA

Louisiana State

Arizona

Georgia

Gonzaga

North Carolina

Clemson

Maryland

Tulane

Old Dominion

North Carolina State
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 3/13/22 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone go to any games this weekend? We didn't, we had several family events going on.

A sentimental day at OCC yesterday as they renamed their baseball field "John Altobelli Park." The Pirates beat Irvine Valley College, 14-4. They scored their 14 runs with all players wearing No. 14 as Orange Coast retired it after the game, in memory of Altobelli. Here's the link.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/14/22 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we had not wasted our time! But then being a Padres fan for so long I guess you could say even losing baseball is better than no baseball. Smile

Our Aztecs got swept at Tony Gwynn Stadium by UNLV this weekend. I did not see that coming but it seems right in line for this season, so far so maybe we expected too much out of this team.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/15/22 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw. Sad

Toreros soph LHP Brycen Mautz is among D1 leaders in Ks this year with 45. Here's an article from the UT about him and their weekend road series in Arizona.

Soph 1Bman Kevin Sim was 5-for-12 and homered twice over the weekend.
USD has a 8-6 record after winning the series at GCU.

Also, UCSD is now 6-10.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/18/22 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that a certain former Padre's son plays for OCC! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/18/22 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Cath! Smile

I sure did get behind on this one; sorry.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/21/22 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current rankings from Baseball America as follows. Note that Stanford drops to No. 18 and USC and UCLA have dropped out!

Mississippi

Oregon State

Texas

Virginia

Vanderbilt

Arkansas

Tennessee

Florida State

Florida

Oklahoma State

Notre Dame

Arizona

Liberty

North Carolina

Louisville

Georgia Tech

Georgia

Stanford

Gonzaga

Clemson

Maryland

Texas State

Texas Tech

Miami

Old Dominion

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/22/22 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those poor Tritons. San Diego State beat them tonight 14-7 in a game played at UCSD. And the Aztecs had to break a 7 game losing streak to get the win.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/25/22 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Aztecs sure have been hurting, but maybe now that they have won one in a row Smile they can gain some traction because Fresno State is coming in to Tony Gwynn Stadium this weekend. Planning to go to either Saturday or Sunday.

I did not see them having a 5-15 record at this point of the season but that is what it is.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/26/22 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

Meanwhile, big weekend in Arizona with UCLA in Tucson to face the No. 11 team in the nation. The Bruins won the first game handily, 10-2 but lost today, 4-2, so will play the rubber game tomorrow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/28/22 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that 5-18. I'm sorry to say the Aztecs were swept at home this weekend.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/28/22 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my, that was not very enjoyable to watch. We saw them lose 8-2. This is shaping up to be one of the worst seasons in years! Kelena Sauer took the loss.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/28/22 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current BA.com rankings with a new No. 1 team are as follows:

Tennessee

Oregon State

Virginia

Arkansas

Florida State

Oklahoma State

Texas Tech

Louisville

Mississippi

Texas

Vanderbilt

Arizona

Miami

Notre Dame

North Carolina

Florida

Gonzaga

Dallas Baptist

Texas State

Oregon

Louisiana State

Liberty

Charlotte

Stanford

Maryland

Note: Four teams from the Pac, but none from Socal. I sure expected better from UCLA this year.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/5/22 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies? No posts all week?

At least UCLA has moved back in, and Stanford is up to No. 14.

Current BA.com standings:

Tennessee

Virginia

Arkansas

Oklahoma State

Texas Tech

Oregon State

Mississippi

Texas

Miami

Arizona

Louisville

Notre Dame

Florida State

Stanford

Gonzaga

Texas State

Georgia

UCLA

Vanderbilt

North Carolina

Dallas Baptist

Southern Mississippi

Oregon

Maryland

Auburn

DB6: The big series over the weekend was Stanford at No. 6 Oregon State, which the Cardinal won.

From BA.com:

Quote:
Stanford took a big step toward inserting itself in the Pac-12 race with a series win at Oregon State. In Friday’s win, righthander Alex Williams threw 6.1 scoreless innings, and back-to-back doubles for Tommy Troy and Braden Montgomery in the top of the 10th pushed the Cardinal ahead. Notably, lefthander Quinn Mathews, who was scheduled to be the Saturday starter, came on and threw the bottom of the 10th to close out the win. After dropping an 11-inning heartbreaker Saturday, Stanford earned the series win with a hard-fought victory on Sunday. After falling behind 5-0 after three innings, Stanford scored three runs in the fourth to get back in the game and three more in the sixth on a wild pitch and an error by OSU third baseman Kyle Dernedde to take the lead, eventually adding insurance with two runs in the eighth. Meanwhile, Mathews made his second appearance of the weekend, throwing 120 pitches in seven innings, giving up just one run along the way.

Meanwhile, UCLA was playing "the other Pac-12 team" from that state, at Jackie Robinson Stadium. Again, from Baseball America:

Quote:
UCLA jumps back into the rankings with an impressive sweep of Oregon made up of three one-run wins. Righthander Jake Brooks was excellent in the opener, throwing eight innings with six hits and two runs allowed. Offensively, all three runs came in the sixth inning on a two-run homer for right fielder JonJon Vaughns and an RBI single off the bat of left fielder Kenny Oyama. In game 2, righthander Max Rajcic gave up four hits and two runs with no walks and six strikeouts in six innings, and a three-run fifth inning for the offense was the catalyst for the victory. Eight different UCLA hitters had a hit in that one, with catcher Tommy Beres going 2-for-3. On Sunday, Oregon grabbed a 4-2 lead after the fourth inning, but the Bruins fought back for two runs in the sixth on a two-RBI double for center fielder Malakhi Knight to tie the game and another run in the seventh on a solo homer for third baseman Kyle Karros to take the lead for good. UCLA has been somewhat up and down this season, but in the last two weekends, it has won series against the team that came into this past weekend leading the Pac-12 (Oregon) and the team that is now leading the Pac-12 (Arizona).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/5/22 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Aztecs are 6-21 and sinking. After that sweep at home to Fresno State they played UCSD, at home, and lost 4-0. It must have been an April Fool's joke on Nevada last Friday because San Diego State won, on the road, big! Final score was 13-1. So of course they lost the next 2 games to make up for that. Sad The Dirtbags are coming into Tony Gwynn Stadium tonight, and I'm thinking of going. Won't make up my mind until later in the afternoon after I get some tasks finished, though.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/5/22 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be back later with a few comments.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/11/22 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another week, and the rankings from Baseball America as follows:

1. Tennessee

2. Miami

3. Oklahoma State

4. Texas Tech

5. Oregon State

6. Virginia

7. Arkansas

8. Texas

9. Louisville

10. Notre Dame

11. Stanford

12. Georgia

13. UCLA

14. Southern Mississippi

15. Gonzaga

16. Arizona

17. Auburn

18. Texas State

19. Florida State

20. Dallas Baptist

21. Oregon

22. Maryland

23. Wake Forest

24. Louisiana State

25. Wofford

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 4/12/22 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look up where Wofford is located! I don't think I've ever seen them in the rankings. It's in South Carolina.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to post about the Aztecs. They are 1-14 in MWC play! I don't think we expected it to be that bad.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/17/22 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say this before the weekend. But, how about that series between UCLA and Stanford this weekend played at UCLA? Stanford took the series which obviously is going to help their case for the next rankings. UCLA at least won on Jackie Robinson Day!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/18/22 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite shocked to say the least, but the Aztecs did not just sweep a series, they swept a road series, this weekend! Cole Carrigg had a 6-for-6 game with all 6 hits being singles! Article from the Union Tribune

I did take note of that UCLA-Stanford series, too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/18/22 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that too about the Aztecs, and it blew me away. With UCLA-Stanford and so much else going on, this was the first weekend since SDSU baseball season started that I haven't been able to check in on them at some point. Whose idea was it to have the Dodgers' home opener, Lions tournament championship games, Good Friday and Jackie Robinson Day, as well as Easter Sunday and our church's Saturday prayer vigil, all in the same four-day span? Surprised

Meanwhile, only the strong survive, so it's the Big 3 from the Pac still standing in Baseball America's weekly rankings, as follows:

1 –
Tennessee

Oklahoma State

Oregon State

Arkansas

Miami

Stanford

Southern Mississippi

Virginia

Florida State

Oregon

Virginia Tech

Gonzaga

Louisville

Notre Dame

Texas Christian

UCLA

Texas Tech

Georgia

Georgia Southern

Texas

Texas State

Maryland

Auburn

Wofford

Dallas Baptist

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/28/22 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been scarce here over the last few days, I'm just now getting around to posting the weekly rankings from BA.com:

1. Tennessee

2. Oregon State

3. Miami

4. Stanford

5. Virginia

6. Southern Mississippi

7. Texas Christian

8. Oklahoma State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Arkansas

11. Gonzaga

12. Louisville

13. Notre Dame

14. UCLA

15. Texas Tech

16. Georgia

17. Georgia Southern

18. Texas

19. Texas State

20. Maryland

21. Auburn

22. Wofford

23. Texas A&M

24. Florida State

25. Oregon

Note that Oregon has "sneaked in" at No. 25, as the fourth team from the Pac in this week's rankings. But my next question...what happened to Arizona? They were ranked No. 7 in preseason, now they've completely dropped out? Their record is 30-13, which is certainly good enough for the top 25. It's puzzling to me. Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/29/22 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month of the season coming up now. The Pac 12 will have a tournament for the first time, to be played in Scottsdale.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/4/22 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's BA.com rankings--note that UCSB has cracked the top 25:

Tennessee

Oregon State

Oklahoma State

Virginia Tech

Arkansas

Miami

Louisville

Notre Dame

UCLA

Stanford

Gonzaga

Virginia

Southern Mississippi

Texas A&M

Florida State

Texas Christian

Texas Tech

Texas State

Maryland

Louisiana State

Auburn

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Oregon

UC Santa Barbara

Three from the Pac in the top ten.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/6/22 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Aztecs are 14-33 - Embarassed

Air Force is in at Tony Gwynn Stadium this weekend, then Nevada next weekend. San Diego State will close out the season on the road against UNLV, May 19-21 before last rites are administered. It has been a very trying time and I was glad to have the Padres playing well as a nice distraction.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/9/22 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we're coming up on the last couple of weeks here.

And...we have a new No. 1!

From BaseballAmerica.com:

Oregon State

Tennessee

Oklahoma State

Virginia Tech

Arkansas

Miami

Louisville

Notre Dame

Stanford

Gonzaga

Virginia

Texas A&M

Florida State

Louisiana State

Texas Tech

Texas State

Southern Mississippi

Connecticut

Maryland

Texas Christian

Auburn

UCLA

UC Santa Barbara

Oklahoma

Vanderbilt

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/16/22 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona finally made it back into the rankings.

From BA.com:

Tennessee

Oregon State

Virginia Tech

Texas A&M

Stanford

Texas Tech

Arkansas

Notre Dame

Miami

Gonzaga

Virginia

Florida State

Oklahoma State

Louisville

Texas Christian

Texas State

Maryland

Southern Mississippi

Connecticut

Auburn

Vanderbilt

UCLA

UC Santa Barbara

Oklahoma

Arizona

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 5/17/22 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking around D2, PLNU is right up there, too, set for the postseason.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 5/23/22 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toreros! No. 3 seed in the WCC.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/23/22 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mercifully over for the Aztecs! They lost on Saturday to UNLV for the 5th time in 6 games this year, which was the final game of the season. For the first time I can think of, they finished 20 games under .500 at 18-38. See you next year, boys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: