Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2022 Padres
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/22/22 2:16 pm    Post subject: 2022 Padres Reply with quote

I am getting this one started to discuss the coming season as the games are played. Right now there is just so much talk about how having our superstar out for half the season is going to affect us and how that could have been prevented.

I hate to post this but I think Nick Canepa nailed it down about El Nino in today's Union Tribune column. Crying or Very sad
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/22/22 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen Canepa be that blunt about a local hero's immaturity. Exclamation
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/25/22 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our "Fan Fest" is back after a couple of years, but not in the same format this time, since spring training started so abruptly and during the winter when they usually have it, nobody knew when the season would start. Usually held in January at Petco Park, this "Fan Fest" is going to be different and will allow fans into the stadium to watch the Padres on Opening day on the road (at Chase Field, Diamondbacks).

We are not sure if we will go this year - I prefer the "Fan Fest" to have players being present "live" and in person. Obviously that cannot be done for this one. They will have the annual garage sale, though, so that might push me to go. Or maybe just wanting to be out at the ballpark again. We shall see.

Details from padres.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/5/22 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 2 more days left till they play baseball that will count for something.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/7/22 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read the article in the Union Tribune about the FanFest.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/8/22 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try and put aside the frustration of our Opening day loss and enjoy a win tonight, I hope, as the second game is starting.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/8/22 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a much better result tonight. Both of the first 2 games in Arizona have seen some terrific starting pitching for my Padres. With Yu throwing 6 no hit innings and then tonight, Sean Manaea in his first start as a Padres had 7 hitless. Tonight, though, there was no bullpen meltdown like there was last night, and so my boys won the game, 3-0. Jurickson Profar hit a 2 run homer and that was all we needed. Go Padres

And as far as last night at Petco Park went, we did not go. After hearing what a disorganized mess it was to try and combine opening night with the regular Fanfest activities, I was glad we stayed home, and then of course the loss made it worse. People were saying you could not get anywhere near the garage sale and that they did not really plan it very well.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/11/22 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeling better now that the weekend is over. Smile After taking 3 of 4 in Arizona my boys got some great starting pitching in all games, even though Blake Snell was scratched in the last game. I almost thought I was going back to 1970 with Preston Gomez removing Clay Kirby during a no-hitter, just by reading the comments from fans who were steamed about the first 2 games against the Diamondbacks! Bob Melvin did not have any problem taking Yu and Sean Manaea out with no-hitters going in back to back games this weekend -
article from padres.com

My Padres will open a series in San Francisco tonight before coming home on Thursday for our home opener, hosting the world champion Braves!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/12/22 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that 5 in a row after Nick Martinez's fine start yesterday! Padres won, 4-2.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/14/22 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So my boys lost 2 games in a row in San Francisco, one of them was a blowout and the other a close 1 run game.

Now the day has come for Petco Park to open for the year! We are very excited!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/15/22 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I start - we had a fantastic day downtown and then at the game last night. The world champion Braves were visiting and they got knocked out of the box early! Padres won, 12-1. Manny had 5 hits. New manager Bob Melvin has been warmly welcomed. We are just happy to have the team back.

It's not just Jackie Robinson Day but McKenzie Gore makes his first major league start tonight, too!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/15/22 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a good day for both of our teams! I know you're excited for Gore. I'll check in on that game.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/17/22 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates on this one, Cathy? Wink
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/18/22 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys did get the split with a nice bounceback win by Yu, 2-1, late on Easter afternoon! Jurickson Profar has played really well the first week and a half of the season. As you can see the game scores, Padres offensive attack was great in the home opener on Thursday, but followed by 3 games with not such good efforts from the bats. We will have the Reds in town during the week now, and then - the Dodgers this coming weekend.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/18/22 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready! Smile (I think. I mean, we have to get through the Braves now, too. Maybe they're a good tune-up for the Dodgers to prepare for the Padres! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/19/22 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be at Saturday's game.

Nice start by Sean Manaea yesterday and Manny was 3-for-4. Pads won, 4-1.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/21/22 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the big weekend is upon us, now. Dodgers coming in for 3 and both teams have been playing well. My Padres swept the Reds in this 3 game series. Mackenzie Gore's second major league start ended up with a win.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/22/22 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the U-T today, there's Kevin Acee's column about how the Dodgers are supposed to be "just another team" to the Padres this year--which would certainly boost their professionalism!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/23/22 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - most of what Acee says here cannot be argued.

Just glad I went to the right game of this series, since I was there for the 10 inning win tonight and not for the loss last night!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/26/22 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though my boys lost the series, we are now on the road in Cincinnati and the Reds sure have had a rough couple of weeks to get started this season!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/28/22 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now having Baseball at Breakfast for the first time this season which I will post about after the game is over. But so far so good in Cincinnati and we may be able to run the table on the Reds with a win today. MacKenzie Gore had another outstanding start last night.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/29/22 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha-Seong Kim had a good series too from what I've seen.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/30/22 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! He came up big in our win last night, too.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/1/22 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padres took the series in Pittsburgh, though they did lose the middle game. And now finally Mike Clevinger will make his return from TJ surgery on Tuesday in Cleveland, which will be against his former team. Looking forward to that.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/4/22 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres just split a doubleheader with the Guardians (I almost posted Indians!) - because of a rainout last night they played 2 today.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/6/22 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like my updates are the only posts in this thread! Exclamation

My boys opened a homestand last night with a nice 2-1 win over the Marlins. Starting pitching has been so good this first month, but the bullpen has been so unpredictable!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 5/6/22 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

I've taken notice the Padres pitching has kept them in many games when they haven't hit. Could be a 3 way race again if the top 3 teams in the NL West can keep battling all season long. That might drive us all nuts though, lol.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 5/7/22 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this one was a game I would rather forget. But, my boys have assured themselves of a split.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/8/22 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was shaping up to be a not very happy day at Petco Park, even though I was with my family out on a marine layer afternoon. Another lackluster offensive day for my team - including last night's shutout, they had not scored in 17 innings - and they were losing 2-0 in the 9th when Jorge Alfaro hit a pinch hit, 3 run walk off home run! And his mom called it, too - article from padres.com

Notice it mentions, "It marked San Diego’s first walk-off pinch-hit homer since Hunter Renfroe did so in May 2019 against the Dodgers." I am sure you Dodger ladies have not forgotten that! Razz

Joe Musgrove had another quality start and it was encouraging to see that the boys broke that run of scoreless innings.

It does not get much better than this!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/8/22 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, off of KJ, Sunday afternoon on Cinco de Mayo, 2019. Remember it well!

I'm so glad you had a good day at the game with your family.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: