Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F.O./Managerial/Coaching Moves - 2023-24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 10/2/23 12:18 pm    Post subject: F.O./Managerial/Coaching Moves - 2023-24 Reply with quote

I hope it's OK I'm starting this one for the coming offseason.

The Mets have fired Buck Showalter. I thought he would be a lot better for them than he was.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/3/23 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Angels fired Phil Nevin - I know they figured it had to be done.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/4/23 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tigers have hired a new general manager, Jeff Greenberg.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/5/23 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Eppler has stepped down as General Manager of the Mets.

Full-on housecleaning in Queens.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/16/23 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alyssa Nakken is being interviewed for the managerial position in S.F. I wish her well as far as possibly getting the job though I dislike the team. Not sure who the other candidates are so that makes it hard to say whether she is best qualified.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/16/23 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...the Neanderthal comments on social media about this! Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 10/16/23 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen them too! Mad Not the ones that question whether she's qualified but the ones who say there should be no women managers, at all!

And while all the arguing has been going on just about someone getting an interview - at the same time Kim Ng has declined her option as GM of the Marlins after 3 years. This surprises me. Here's the article.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/24/23 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Cath! What do you think about Bob Melvin interviewing for the Jints' managerial position? Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 10/24/23 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised I had no idea it was already a done deal but just heard that a while ago. That was fast! I thought when they announced it that there would be several candidates interviewed and we were looking at a few days down the line before they made any announcement. That is big because S.F. needed a veteran manager and he has the Bay Area ties. But that leaves a big hole for the Padres. I guess A.J. will be able to start over now.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 10/25/23 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, that came up on us all of a sudden! One minute I heard the Padres granted him approval to interview. Then he was hired like, the next day. Well I cannot say it was a real surprise - just how fast it happened. It was like Bruce Bochy leaving the Pads for S.F. but that was 17 years ago.

We all knew there was something underlying when the Padres said they were keeping both A.J. and Melvin. I did not feel convinced they worked everything out and I think he just did not like working for A.J. He seemed like he could not wait to get out of town.

Now people are saying since Phil Nevin is available we should consider him. Well, in just about 6 weeks or so the winter meetings will be starting so they need to get going on the interviewing. But please be careful when making the choice.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/6/23 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm sure you know, Cathy, the Padres have narrowed it down to three candidates now, and Phil Nevin is not one of them.

However, there's been plenty of other news in the managerial shuffle as well.

As far as I'm concerned, this is not too cool, but the Cubs made it official that manager David Ross was gone by simply announcing that Craig Counsell has been hired to replace him, on a five-year contract. But why wait that long to announce a new skipper when nobody knew the old ones wasn't returning? Maybe they should have announced last week that the Cubs will be in pursuit of a new manager and David Ross has been relieved of his duties.

Of course, the Brewers are now in need of a new mentor, as well.

Also, the Mets have hired Carlos Mendoza as their new manager.

And last, Stephen Vogt has been hired to manage the Guardians.

In Miami, Kim Ng's replacement is now on board, as the Marlins nabbed Peter Bendix from the Rays to serve as president of baseball operations.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 11/7/23 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious about the Angels and their opening.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 11/8/23 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to be curious anymore. They hired Ron Washington as the new manager in Anaheim. To me, that was a surprise name out of the blue.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 11/11/23 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my Padres are interviewing Phil Nevin! I thought he was not being considered, but now he is. So this will get more interesting if they decide to go outside the organization.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/14/23 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Espada is the new Asterisks* manager.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 11/21/23 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally have a new manager! My Padres promoted Mike Schildt from within the organization and as you know, he already has managerial experience coming to us from the Cardinals. We were the last team left without a manager, so I feel satisfied this is someone who knows the front office already and can help make an impact working with A.J. at the meetings in a couple of weeks.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/4/23 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabe Kapler to the Marlins as new assistant general manager! Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 12/4/23 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that! Also, something I heard on the radio but could not even find on the Dodgers' home page. Chris Archer was hired as a special assistant just in time for the meetings, linked from CBS Sports

Now I went to check and see when he retired, because I didn't remember him pitching anywhere this year, and it is said he never did announce a retirement. Maybe he just thought this was the time because he got an FO job offer? lol
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 12/5/23 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if Mike Schildt can get a decent coaching staff for my Padres, we will be set.

Ryan Flaherty has left his job as our bench coach for the Cubs.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 12/7/23 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yadier Molina has a new job with the Cardinals as a special assistant.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/16/24 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could almost see this happening and hoped it wouldn't--but Dusty has returned to the Jints organization as a special assistant. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 2/26/24 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, guess who is a special advisor with the Dodgers now? Our own Bison! Surprised

I suppose this means he has retired? But never made it official.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: