Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OGR Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/12 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is going for the record tonight and I for one will not be rooting for him. He is going against my Padres. But I really never liked him to start with, so I hope he doesn't get it anyway.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got it. I should post congratulations, but BOOOOO!

I agree with you, even though it wasn't my team he beat. But, 80 years later, he still took something away from a Dodger. Sad

According to the L.A. Times:

Quote:
Jack Quinn of the Brooklyn Dodgers was the previous elder statesman of the mound after getting a win on Sept. 13, 1932, when he was 49 years, 70 days old.

Some facts from Wikipedia and baseball-almanac.com:

John Picus "Jack" Quinn was born Jaonnes (Jan) Pajkos on July 1, 1883, in Štefurov, Slovakia (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire), and emigrated to America as an infant with his parents Michael Pajkos and Maria Dzjiacsko, arriving in New York on June 18, 1884.

He pitched for eight major league teams, made his final appearance at age 50, and passed away in 1946 at age 62.

I never did figure out how he got from Pajkos to Quinn.

Question

Also:

I loved reading about how Mark Kotsay owns Jamie Moyer. The funny thing is, Kotsay is 13 years younger than Moyer, and he's considered one of the viejos on the Padres team! I guess it's all relative! Surprised
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/9/12 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar Vizquel is now the oldest player to start a game at shortstop, as of Sunday when the Blue Jay took the field against the Angels.

According to MLB.com:

Quote:
The 45-year-old Vizquel broke a record that has stood since 1918. The previous mark belonged to Bobby Wallace, who appeared in 12 games at the position for the St. Louis Cardinals at age 44.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/25/12 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...today, it was just announced that astronaut Neil Armstrong has passed away.

But at the same time, two OGRs of baseball are in the news, and their nicknames are: Spaceman and Rocket.

Ugh: The Astros are "considering" Roger Clemens.

But on the bright side, what a feel-good story: Bill Lee won a game at age 65, pitching a CG for the San Rafael Pacifics.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/12 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe a major league team would want to honor Clemens in such a way - by bringing him back to pitch? If they do, they better check him for PEDs! He will need them now Wink

Nice to read the story about Bill Lee. He is able to enjoy baseball on his own level Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/9/12 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but Roger Clemens pitched to his own son Koby in an Atlantic League game on Friday. I thought of posting this in the Family Ties thread, but decided it flowed right here.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
It was a moment more than 20 years in the making, a son and his legendary father playing the kind of game of catch you just couldn't duplicate in a backyard.

With a sellout crowd, including country music superstar Toby Keith, and a national television audience soaking in every pitch, seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens fulfilled a dream Friday night by pitching to his oldest son, Koby, in a professional game.

Roger Clemens, making his second start in 13 days for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League, pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings, allowing two singles and no walks while throwing 54 pitches against the Long Island Ducks. In two outings for the Skeeters, who play in suburban Houston, he's thrown eight scoreless innings.

...Though there's been speculation Clemens' appearances in Sugar Land are a precursor to a comeback to the Major Leagues -- and Astros owner Jim Crane has said he'd be open to a return -- Clemens pretty much put the brakes on getting on the mound this year. The Astros had a scout, Josh Miller, watching him pitch anyway.

"At this point, I don't see that happening, because I just know my recovery time right now," the 50-year-old said. "There's no reason why I couldn't do it next year."

This night was about a father and a son living out a dream, and when Roger recorded his final out of the game, he and Koby shared a hug on the mound. Roger walked off the field to a standing ovation from the record crowd of 8,597 at Constellation Field.

"Not many words that describe the opportunity and special moment this really was," said Koby, who went 1-for-4 after driving his dad to the ballpark. "I don't even know in the history has there ever been a chance for a father-son battery. For me, it's most the unreal thing I could have done."

..."Everything about this night was special," Koby said.

The Clemens family filled a suite, with his wife, Debbie, serving as the family's head cheerleader. Koby, who was drafted by the Astros in 2005, was released by the Blue Jays organization earlier this year and signed with the Skeeters so he could catch his father.

"It's been exciting," Debbie Clemens said. "I was so excited to see Koby and Roger. [They] were looking forward to doing this together tonight. They've thrown together and pitched together all those years, and it's crazy that [Koby] is old enough and they're both doing this."

Janet Johnson, one of Roger Clemens' sisters, said the only thing that would have made the night even better is if their mother, Bess, would have been alive to see it. Bess Clemens died in 2005, when Roger was helping the Astros reach the World Series.

And on another topic, Jason Isringhausen turned 40 on the same day! I've never been a fan of his, but he's leading all Angels relievers this season with 47 appearances, and is 3-2 with a 3.92 ERA. I guess that qualifies as OGR these days. Wink

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/25/14 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 16 months older than me, and he's trying to make a comeback in professional baseball at age 55. Julio Franco!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 5/27/14 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see how this goes! Good luck to him though!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/7/15 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this one up as a nod to Bartolo Colon! The Mets hurler, who is 41 years and 317 days old, became the oldest pitcher to win an Opening Day start since Randy Johnson (42 years, 205 days) in 2006. BC is also the ninth oldest pitcher to accomplish that feat.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/12/15 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months later, Bartolo Colon shows no signs of slowing down.

But, I wanted to bump this thread for another reason--last week, the KHSAA hosted our first annual Alumni baseball game, in which former Komets played against the current varsity team. We had a couple of fathers playing against sons, and even a grandfather playing against his grandson. Oh, and you'll love this, Mark Gleason was the starting pitcher for the OGs! Smile But in the end, the Alumni team staved off a late threat by the varsity, which left the tying run at third base in the bottom of the ninth, as the veteran Komets won, 5-4. One of our KHSAA officers enthusiastically jumped to her feet and yelled, "OLD GUYS RULE!" as the final out was recorded. LOL...

It was a fun event, but I regret that they didn't play it in, say, February, as, say, a preseason game; that way maybe Alan could have participated just like he did with the Alumni basketball game in November. I dislike that the best Komet of all couldn't even be there because of his job duties in Detroit.

This was definitely a successful event, though, particularly since it was the first in what is hoped to become an annual game.

Cathy, I thought of you because the Padres donated some raffle prizes you would have loved! There was a Trevor Hoffman 500th save plaque with signed baseball, and a couple of bats signed by current Padre players. I did buy a few tickets so I could surprise you with a gift if I won, but they never called my numbers. Sad The fundraiser brought in a lot of money that will be used for student scholarships.

This was a great all-around event for both current and past students and anyone who has Komet pride. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 6/14/15 6:32 am; edited 3 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/13/15 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story, thanks Linda Smile for thinking about me.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/26/15 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait until they do it again next year! Very Happy

Meanwhile, MLB.com gives a nod to six aging hitters who are still getting the job done beyond age 35, although I'm not thrilled ARod is one of them. However, as the linked article notes, given the fact that he missed last season, his offensive output this year (with increased PED testing in place) is pretty remarkable for someone who will turn 40 next month.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/19/15 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday to Torii Hunter! Turned 40 years old on July 18.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/20/15 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Torii - he was one of my favorite Angels. I am glad he is still out there playing!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/12/16 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post of the year in this one!

Who (besides Cathy, of course) didn't love seeing 42 year old Bartolo Colon homer in the Mets' win over the Padres last Saturday?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 5/12/16 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have to admit that was entertaining! We have been on the wrong end of a few entertaining moments over the years. I got a laugh out of it even at my team's expense. Laughing Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/26/16 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will update soon...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/10/17 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In last night's Braves-Astros game, Houston's Carlos Beltran, 40, homered off Atlanta pitcher Bartolo Colon, 43, in a face-off of quadragenarians.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Another testament to Colon's longevity is the fact that this wasn't even the first time a 40-year-old had taken him deep since his own 40th birthday. Beltran's roundtripper was the first "40-on-40" homer since Raul Ibanez went yard off Colon on April 13, 2014.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/10/17 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always love the Bartolo Colon stories! Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/6/17 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, Bartolo Colon has become the oldest pitcher to throw a complete game since Nolan Ryan.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/15/18 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another year of the OGR thread.

MLB.com features this article about the oldest current players in Major League Baseball. Bartolo Colon, 44--now with the Rangers--is at the top of the list, of course.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 3/18/18 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we all love Chase! But I sure do remember when Adrian Beltre was a rookie! It's hard to think of him being almost 40.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/24/18 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 45th birthday, Bartolo Colon! See how the Rangers celebrated their viejo's big day Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/25/19 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read back on the last couple of years' worth of posts in this thread. First post in 2019 is a nod to veteran reliever Fernando Rodney. The "A"s pitcher, age 42, is now the last player remaining on a major league roster who was born in the 1970s. Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: