Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family ties
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francine

PostPosted: Mon 4/9/07 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:
and was named 27th best baseball prospect in the world!

By who? There are so many sources who put out these lists, and I don't recognize his name from the ones I usually consult. I have seen him on the top 50 U.S. list on baseballamerica.com.

This is a great report; I can see why you are excited. Best of luck to them all, unless one ends up being on a team opposing one of my teams, LOL. Keep us posted on their progress, and meanwhile, I will keep an eye out for news on them when I'm doing research.

Baseball America, I believe. The article is quoted "He was named pre season Big East Player of the Year, rated as the top prospect in the Northern Region by Baseball America, and was named 27th best prospect in the world." This was posted in a really nice article in our School systems newsletter in the Alumni section.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/10/07 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about it because I didn't find him on the Baseball America site in that category.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/2/07 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the Gwynns being reunited last weekend in San Diego, the LaRoche brothers are reunited this weekend in Pittsburgh. But not for very long, because the Dodgers' Andy was sent down to Las Vegas to make room for Hong-Chih Kuo, called up to start today's game against the Pirates.

Three weeks ago, the L.A. Times wrote the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pitching in the major leagues was a lot easier than watching your kids play there, said Dave LaRoche, one of the few people who has done both.

"Your heart goes with every mistake they make and [every] strikeout in a big situation," said LaRoche, father of Dodgers infielder Andy LaRoche and Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche as well as a former big-leaguer who pitched for the Angels and four other teams in a 14-year career.

"I don't know how to put it in words but I'm certainly proud of them. All their hard work's paid off."

Andy LaRoche was called up Sunday and made his major league debut that afternoon at Turner Field - the same place where his brother made his debut three years earlier. The elder LaRoche, a Double-A pitching coach for the Toronto Blue Jays, wasn't able to make that game, but he was excused by the team to see the first three games of the Dodgers' series in Miami.

"How exciting to see their dreams come true," he said. "They used to be my kids. Now I'm their dad."

That's sweet. Very Happy

Now, fast forward to today, in which the L.A. Times wrote:

The Pirates will hand out bobbleheads of first baseman Adam LaRoche to fans attending tonight's game. And LaRoche's brother, who got an early look at the statuettes Friday, said the Pirates' version bears a much stronger resemblance to his kin than the three bobbleheads modeled after him in the minor leagues.

"This one is actually not too bad," Andy LaRoche said. "It's got the goatee and everything. I don't know that the minor league ones looked like him at all."

Andy's demotion means he won't be around for tonight's promotion, but the brothers did achieve one milestone Friday. When Andy pinch-hit in the sixth inning, it marked the first time the brothers had played in the same big-league game.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/5/07 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to start a thread in memoriam.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is getting a bump for a couple of reasons--one being that the White Sox and Dodgers meet today, and there is a family connection.

Minor leaguer John Shelby has seen (admittedly minimal) action at the White Sox camp this month, and he is the son of "T-Bone" (John Shelby of the Dodgers' 1988 world championship team). The elder Shelby was never more than an average player but like the rest of that his teammates, they proved that an average team with great pitching and a lot of heart could play the part of David vs. the Mighty Goliath ('88 Oakland "A"s). Oh, is it a coincidence the Dodgers are playing at the "A"s' complex for a few games this week?

From reading the article on whitesox.com, it appears the younger Shelby plays with the same desire and work ethic his dad did.

And I especially enjoyed reading this:

"She's been around my dad and knows more baseball than I do, believe it or not." -- Shelby, on his mom, Trina, having just as big of an influence on his career as his father

Let's get her on this board! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of ofspring of the 1988 world champions, another father-son connection reveals a familiar face pitching for the USC Trojans this year.

Anyone think this kid looks like his dad?
Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/4/08 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is over a week old, but I've been behind on some subjects lately...anyway, when the Reds played the Padres in San Diego last week, the series was the second face-off of teams involving the Hairston brothers, Scott and Jerry Jr..

From MLB.com:

Quote:
The Boones, Bells and Hairstons are the only three-generation families to play the game, and all three families have some ties to the Reds. The current generation features Cincinnati shortstop Jerry Hairston Jr. and his brother, Scott Hairston, an outfielder for the Padres.

The four-game series this week between the two teams marks only the second time Jerry and Scott have played against one another. The last time it happened was in 2004, when Jerry played for the Orioles and Scott for the Diamondbacks.

"He's four years younger than I am, so we never got a chance to play together as teammates growing up in Little League," Jerry Hairston said. "We saw each other maybe someday in the big leagues and maybe playing together. Playing against each other is still great. As an older brother, I know how hard he worked. Having him tag along with me and steal my bats and everything, at least it was for something."

Their parents, including former White Sox player Jerry Hairston Sr., will be at the games. Jerry Sr., now an organizational hitting instructor for his former team, was given a few days off.

Jerry Hairston Sr. played for the White Sox and Pirates from 1973-89. His brother, John, had a brief cup of coffee with the Cubs in 1969. Their father was Sammy Hairston, a Negro League star and the first African-American to play for White Sox. He appeared in a handful of games for Chicago in 1951.

"My grandfather used to tell stories all the time about Jackie [Robinson] and other players like Cool Papa Bell," Hairston Jr. said.

Also, former Cardinals prospect Edgar Gonzalez, now with the Padres organization, was called up from Triple A Portland on May 12 and joins his little brother Adrian, who's been putting up big stats, in San Diego.

"E-Gon"'s role as a utility player allows him a lot of time to enjoy "A-Gon"'s success, according to this article from padres.com.

By the way, the Gonzalez brothers are the second locally produced set of brothers to play for the Padres in as many seasons (given Marcus Giles was released over the past year, while Brian stayed).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/8/08 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have bumped this up last weekend after the trades.

Andy and Adam LaRoche are now teammates on the Pittsburgh Pirates.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
With a four-year age gap between them, the LaRoche brothers have never played on the same team together.

It will still be a while before they take the field together, however. Adam, who is dealing with a right intercostals strain, will remain on the disabled list at least through the entirety of the Pirates' current 10-game road trip.

...Though neither wants his first name put on his jersey, differentiating between them shouldn't be an issue.

"Mine might be in lowercase letters, and his in uppercase," Andy quipped.

Of course, it wasn't. And by the way, Andy has been given No. 15. Adam wears No. 25.

...For the immediate time being, the younger LaRoche plans to move into his older brother's home in Pittsburgh, where Adam joked there will be plenty of babysitting opportunities.

"I love those kids to death," Andy said of Adam's kids, six-year-old Drake and five-year-old Montana. "It's going to be good being around the family all the time and being able to see them all the time."

Their father, Dave LaRoche, the pitching coach for Toronto's Double-A affiliate, will have just one game to tune into. Their mother can buy one plane ticket and see both sons on the same day. In other words, this is a situation that had the whole family gleaming Thursday evening.

And, more about the Gonzalez brothers, who have the luxury of playing in their hometown of San Diego although, like the LaRoche brothers, both were drafted by other teams.

From padres.com:

Quote:
And while the Gonzalez brothers have played together in the winter in Mexico, they had never played on the same field in the Major Leagues before May 12 in Chicago, where Edgar Gonzalez joined the Padres, playing second base, not far from where his younger brother Adrian Gonzalez was standing at first base.

Adrian and Edgar Gonzalez were born in San Diego and lived in San Ysidro before they moved to Tijuana in 1983. The family moved back, to Bonita, in 1990. The sons of a former member of the Mexican National Team, baseball came naturally for the brothers.

..."It's been great," said David Gonzalez Jr., 33 of Chula Vista, Adrian and Edgar's older brother. "It's basically a dream come true for everyone. Baseball is our life. My family has had an air conditioning business across the border for the last 33 years. My dad has always said that we know two things -- air conditioning and baseball."

In other news, it looks like the Giles brothers, Marcus and Brian, are going to be the first set of brothers dumped by the Padres in the same year!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/3/09 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the San Diego Union-Tribune:

Quote:
San Diego's Scott Hairston, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Will Venable started together in the outfield on Wednesday night for the second time this season. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there are only two games since the beginning of divisional play in 1969 that a team's starting outfield was made up of players whose fathers all played in the majors. The other game was June 24 at Seattle.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/3/10 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for directing me to this thread, Linda. You know we now have the Hairston brothers. Most of the brothers we've had play for our team, and there have been a lot of them, are brothers who were born & raised around the area. The Hairstons are probably among the few who were not. This is a good article about them I read on padres.com. It is about the Hairston family in baseball.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/4/10 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most of the brothers we've had play for our team, and there have been a lot of them, are brothers who were born & raised around the area.

Born and raised within 100 miles of San Diego, sets of brothers with the Padres in the last 15 years that I can think of are:

Chris and Tony Gwynn
Brian and Marcus Giles
Glenn and Trevor Hoffman
Edgar and Adrian Gonzalez

It's weird enough to have that many sets of brothers in that period of time, but for them to all have roots in the region is truly bizarre.

Chris Gwynn still works in the team's scouting department, and his nephew Tony (Jr., whether he likes it or not) is a current player. Tony, of course, is a native San Diegan, born in his dad's rookie year with the team.

Freddie and Jason Kendall are another father-son duo with ties to San Diego, although Jason has outshined his dad, who caught for the Padres from their inaugural year, 1969, through 1976, and 1979-80. Jason, of course, is still playing (as a K.C. Royal this year) and is among the best catchers in the game.

With Aaron's retirement last week, I recently wrote about the Boone family, which S.D. is very proud of, although only one of them (Bret) played for the Padres (in 2000). Both Ray and Bob left their mark on local baseball at other levels.

Back to the brothers angle, though:

Although the San Diego team has had many players whose sons have gone on to play in the majors, the current jokes around town are that the team should change its name from Los Padres to Los Hermanos.

Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 3/6/10 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although the San Diego team has had many players whose sons have gone on to play in the majors, the current jokes around town are that the team should change its name from Los Padres to Los Hermanos.

lol.
Interesting info about all the brothers. I knew most of it, but it is hard enough to have any set of brothers both be good enough to reach the Major Leagues, but that many of them is a lot, and much less for their hometown team. Although I don't think Glenn Hoffman played for the Padres, he only coached for them if I'm not mistaken. I think this area may have sent more sets of brothers to the Major Leagues than any other region. It would not surprise me.
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Mon 3/8/10 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can talk about other brothers who are not from the SoCal area? May I suggest the Alomars, Sandy Jr and Roberto.

And then their father, Sandy was a coach at one time and I believe at the same time with his two sons, all three of them Padres.

Don't quote me on that and I probably shouldn't even bring it up until I do my homework. Thing is there are SO many knowledgable fans here, that one or more of them will correct me anyways, and I will welcome it.
Laughing Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/9/10 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And then their father, Sandy was a coach at one time and I believe at the same time with his two sons, all three of them Padres.

I think you're right--Los Padres must be the kings of this thread. Smile

Good call, because when I was posting, I was just going off the top of my head and I didn't think of them.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 3/12/10 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next line of San Diego brothers may be the Harangs. Aaron has already been pretty good for years in the Reds rotation. The Reds also signed his brother Daryl to a minor league contract. He wasn't anything special at SDSU so I'm not sure what's happened since then, I might have to look into that and find out where he pitched and who he worked with, what happened that might have caught their eye. I cannot imagine them just doing it because his brother is there. Just found this out while I was in Arizona talking to some fans and came home to look on line and confirmed it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/16/11 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis Andrus and his brother Erold played in their first game in the U.S. together as the Dodgers beat the Rangers yesterday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/7/11 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the excitement about Dodger prospect Ivan De Jesus Jr. making the major league roster this year (and playing in the Opening Day game--he has subsequently been sent down), I've been reminded of how his dad, IDJ Sr., was a Dodger when I first began following the team closely back in the mid-1970s.

Here's a nice read from the Dodgers Examiner, with a nice little twist about announcer Rick Monday and his ties to De Jesus.

Several years ago, in the "Name Game" thread, I posted about the two Chad Tracys in baseball...the veteran player with the Diamondbacks, who's no relation to MLB manager Jim Tracy--but, Jim Tracy also has a son named Chad, who was drafted by the Rangers in 2006 out of Pepperdine University.

Well, now it has come to pass. Chad was invited to spring training as a non-roster player for Texas, and he got into a game a few weeks ago vs. his dad's Rockies. Full article from MLB.com is here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/10/11 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When infielder Dee Gordon was called up this week, the Dodgers were on the road in Philly, and Dee's family--including his dad, former Phillies/Red Sox pitcher Tom Gordon--was there at Citizens Bank Park.

A few excerpts from the L.A. Times:

Quote:
Dee Gordon was at shortstop, aware that his father was watching him from the stands. Rubby De La Rosa was on the mound, convinced that his grandmother was looking down on him from the heavens.

The two 23-year-olds came from distinctly different backgrounds, but they shared a dream. They lived that dream Tuesday night, when they made their first starts in the major leagues.

..."It's been a blur," said the fleet-footed Gordon, who was called up from Triple-A Albuquerque on Monday.

...Gordon was laughing, saying how his father's presence behind the Dodgers' dugout made him nervous. His father, Tom "Flash" Gordon, used to call this ballpark home.

Before the game, the elder Gordon recalled how his son grew up thinking of himself as a basketball player and didn't play organized baseball until his junior year of high school.

"That's the amazing part of it," Tom Gordon said.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 6/14/11 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Gordon's debut on TV and am looking forward to seeing more of him. He will be a real boost to the Dodgers. Ironic he was making his ML debut against the Phillies, his father's former team Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/26/11 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted on MLB.com in honor of Fathers' Day, here's a list of famous father-son combos in MLB history, ranking the best.

Can't argue much with #1 and #2. The Griffeys were not under suspicion for PED use; Jr. was definitely one of the best players of this generation. Sr. was a great part of that Big Red Machine that won so consistently back in the '70s.

Taking my Giants-hating glasses off now, I can see clearly how Bobby and son are ranked second. Many fans forget how good Bobby was in his prime. Many also often forget how good his son was, pre-PEDs. It's no secret, as I've posted numerous times here, that I was a fan of his before his arrival in San Francisco. He had so much natural talent he did not need that extra boost! It's a shame what he did to his career, and the suspicion he placed a hallowed record under.

Other thoughts: I might move the Boones up to #3 if I'd compiled the list.

I noticed Don and Preston Mattingly are not on it. Surprised

Razz

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/28/11 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that was being discussed on post-game Dodger Talk last night:

Little T. had the first four-hit game of his major league career, which began in 2007. On Sunday, he had a three-hit game.

They noted that Tony Sr. in his 20-year career had:

-233 three-hit games,
-36 four-hit games

So, Tony has "only" 35 to go to catch Dad.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/25/11 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of Socal brothers is in the majors: Yankees prospect Brandon Laird, brother of the Cardinals' Gerald Laird, was called up to N.Y. last week (will follow up with more about this, later). The Lairds are products of La Quinta High in Westminster.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 7/25/11 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hear it for the Lairds. It must be exciting for Brandon to be able to say he came in to pinch run for Derek Jeter in his first game as a Yankee!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/11 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL--I guess I should have figured this one out, but it's been awhile.

Earlier this morning, I listened to the playback of yesterday's Dodgers broadcast and learned from Vin that former pitcher Jeff Sellers of the '86 Red Sox is the father of our new kid Justin Sellers. Never heard that mentioned when he was playing for the Titans, but Vin shared a great story about Sellers and Donnie Baseball from the last game of that season.

Truthfully, I'd forgotten about the elder Sellers, given he was an AL pitcher, and not all that stellar to boot, but it's a cute family ties tidbit. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/18/11 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that! What a cool link. A friend of my husband's (you met him, Linda, Dan the Dodger fan) said the Dodgers have several sons of former major leaguers in their system. This one has to be the best story of them all, though.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/11 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sellers family story is great and I loved hearing Vin talk about it during the game!

Quote:
the Dodgers have several sons of former major leaguers in their system. This one has to be the best story of them all, though

I heard that over a year ago, I think during the 2010 season. So if you count now that they have Tony Gwynn, that would make 10. That's pretty sweet.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/11 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny: where did you get the number 10? If so, that's impressive. I can think of a few offhand. I'm pretty sure Tim Wallach alone has two sons in the low minors.

Cathy:

Quote:
This one has to be the best story of them all, though.

Well, it depends. What about the kid of that guy who was on deck when Jack Clark homered in the NLCS? Smile

But yeah...I agree, and even the younger Sellers mentioned to his manager that it was pretty cool.

Checking the elder Sellers' stats, he was out of MLB before Justin turned three years old. So he would have no real memory of his dad playing in the majors.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/11 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, wasn't it just a couple of months ago that I was wondering (aloud, on this board) whether Austin Romine would be in the majors before the end of this season?

Now, the Yankee prospect is a call-up...and how convenient for his family that he made his debut while (1) New York was playing in Anaheim, a ten-minute drive from Lake Forest, CA, and (2) they were playing the Angels, for whom his brother Andrew plays.

Of course, both Romines are the sons of Kevin Romine (Fountain Valley High), who played for the 1985-1991 Red Sox. The Romine sons are both out of El Toro High.

That means two sons of 1986 Red Sox players have made their major league debuts in the last couple of months. And this one plays for the Yankees.

Austin's story is a cool one...here's how it went down, according to the L.A. Times:

Quote:
All in the family

Angels infielder Andrew Romine was sitting in the clubhouse Saturday afternoon before batting practice when he was told a man named Joe wanted to speak with him.

He stepped out of the clubhouse to find Yankees Manager Joe Girardi waiting.

"Have you talked to your brother lately? Do you know where he is?" Girardi asked, according to Romine.

Since the Yankees' Triple-A team in Scranton, Pa., had finished its season earlier in the week, Romine knew Austin, his brother, was on his way home.

But he also knew if the Yankees were trying to reach him, it meant they wanted to call him up, which they did Sunday.

"It couldn't have worked out any better because our parents are here - they're 15 minutes down the street - and they got to see him play," Andrew said.

Austin, who joined the Yankees because of injuries to their catchers, came in during the seventh inning and caught ace closer Mariano Rivera's 599th career save. Rivera has two fewer than all-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman.

"He couldn't stop smiling," Andrew Romine said.

Side note: I know, Cathy, Mo's coming! But we knew that was going to happen...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/11 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great story DB, my brother Aaron had told me how it came about and we thought that was pretty cool.

About the number 10, I thought I had answered this already. I read an article awhile back that cited 10; I'll try to find the link and post it.

Good stuff here!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/16/11 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading that about the Romines. Will the Pill brothers be next for this thread? Question
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/19/11 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin relayed a great story during the Dodgers-Pirates series this weekend:

Pittsburgh reliever Jason Grilli made his major league debut on September 19, 2005--that's six years ago today--with the Detroit Tigers.

His first game came exactly 30 years to the day after his father, Steve Grilli, made his major league debut....with the same team!--in 1975.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: