Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Hail the Mighty...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 7:51 am    Post subject: All Hail the Mighty... Reply with quote

Dodger Dog®!

Reading about Fenway franks in the Ballparks thread made me laugh when thinking back to this thread from the old board. Anyone remember this article from mlb.com about ballpark 'dogs that was written last season in honor of the 100th birthday of the hot dog? The line that cracks me up is the female Red Sox fan saying Dodger Dogs® make her burp. Razz Soxygirl might get a laugh out of that. Smile

Anyway, this is worth a repeat. At the end is a link to the full article which includes the history and background of the hot dog going back to ancient times. The modern day hot dog as we know it was born in 1904 (yes, in St. Louis!).

"Ode to the hot dog"
Ballpark frank holds a revered place in baseball
By Mark Newman / MLB.com

Hot dogs consumed 26 million times throughout the 2004 baseball season. (Kathy Willens/AP)

"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than steak at the Ritz." -- Humphrey Bogart

It is the one sure thing at a Major League game. Hot dogs are for sale at the concession stand whether the home team is in first or last place, whatever the inning, whatever the score, whatever the weather.

But is eating a stadium dog about the dining experience with baseball as glorified entertainment, or a side habit of attending important baseball games, where it is estimated that 26 million dogs will be wolfed down during the regular season in 2004?

Yes, 26 million is the estimated number of hot dogs that will be consumed at Major League stadiums, according to a poll of concessionaires by the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council. If you stretched them, end-to-end, as a tightrope of links, they would stretch from Camden Yards to Dodger Stadium. Leading the way in consumption are the faithful at Chavez Ravine; Dodger fans are eating an estimated 1.61 million Dodger Dogs® this season, and those consumption levels are immediately followed by those at the Rockies' Coors Field (1.5 million) and Wrigley Field (1.47 million).

The fact that the Dodgers lead the pack is not surprising, because if there were a Major League Hot Dog Hall of Fame, the Dodger Dog -- a delectable foot-long in a steamed bun inhaled by followers of Koufax and Gagne -- probably would be the first inductee.

Just ask Jeffrey Block, a lifelong Dodgers fan who lives in Chatsworth, Calif.  According to Block, "Dodger Dogs® are better than every other team's hot dog for this reason:  What other ballpark snack has been granted its own stuffed toy and bobblehead?"

Block got married this summer, and his bride, Michele, just moved from Massachusetts to California. Naturally, she takes her passion for all things Red Sox, including the cuisine, with her. "Fenway Franks are better than Dodger Dogs," she said, "because they deliver them to your seat and don't make me burp like Dodger Dogs do."

Whether it is a Wisconsin Brat at Miller Park, a spicy Atomic Dog in Oakland or a foot-long slathered in Bertman's Ballpark Mustard at Cleveland's Jacobs Field, the hot dog is a big part of being a baseball fan.

The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (NHDSC) polled concessionaires at Major League ballparks before this season and projected that 24.2 million hot dogs would be enjoyed by fans throughout the 2004 season. The survey did not include the two Canadian clubs, so MLB.com rounded off the estimate at 26 million.

"Year after year, hot dogs are a coast to coast favorite among baseball fans," said Janet Riley, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs for the American Meat Institute, of which NHDSC is a project. "Time and fashions may change, but hot dogs are a consistent winner -- or 'wiener' as we hot dog fans like to call them."

An average of 862,702 hot dogs are eaten per ballpark in the U.S. this season. Here is the list of the projected top 10 hot dog-munching ballparks this season, with number of dogs eaten:

Stadium* Hot dogs

1. Dodger Stadium 1.61 million
2. Coors Field 1.5 million
3. Wrigley Field 1.47 million
4. Yankee Stadium 1.3 million
5. Minute Maid Park 1.2 million
6. Angel Stadium 1.1 million
7. Ameriquest Field 996,000
8. Metrodome 883,500
9. Jacobs Field 595,000
10. Camden Yards 400,000

* NHDSC survey did not include Toronto and Montreal.

There may be another reason that the Dodger Dog® is so widely regarded as the ultimate baseball dog. The NHDSC listed the cities that sold the most dogs at its supermarkets in 2003, and Los Angeles, America's second-largest city behind New York, is far and away the leader. There were nearly 45 million units sold, compared to merely 35.2 million for New York, where the hot dog washed ashore so many years ago.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_leftfield.jsp?ymd=20040831&content_id=843024&vkey=leftfield&fext=.jsp
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 7/23/13 11:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't forget to include this:

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/19/07 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandi

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"never any fillers or by-products" -- Shocked
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Fenway Franks are better than Dodger Dogs," she said, "because they deliver them to your seat and don't make me burp like Dodger Dogs do."

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh yeah. Very Happy

Next time I'm out in SoCal, I'll have to try one of these things. Very Happy We were out this year visiting family but didn't get to a Dodgers or Angels game.....I would have liked to though.
crzblue

PostPosted: Fri 9/2/05 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have not seen the Dodger Dog Boblehead here is a picture.

[img]

Let's see if it came out. I had it signed by the Dodgers that were at one of those Fanfest. Jeff Weaver, Fernando, Garvey, Charlie Steiner, Bradley and two rookie sensations that will come up soon (Tiffany and Delwin Young). both are local boys, Tiffany was born in Monterey Park, CA. I lived there for many years. [/img]

Those are part of my baseball books in the background. The first one to sign the DDBBH was Weaver who kept making it bobble and smiling.
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fenway frank every time I go to a game. I RARELY eat a hot dog at any other time....but all summer long....and I go to say 40-45 games. I always joke that if I went to the doctor and had blood work done after the season....well....I might be in trouble!!!

Ruth
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I don't think a trip to Fenway would be complete without a Fenway Frank. Very Happy

Quote:
and I go to say 40-45 games

I'm soooo jealous! You're lucky....I only get to about 5 or 6. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/4/05 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably more information than anyone wanted (!) but this brief description contains not only interesting facts about the 'dogs (I notice it even mentions my favorite variety, the "picante" Dodger Dog), but also a tip for tourists! Wink

http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_547/dogs.htm

-Baseball Hall of Fame
debisfriends

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten that Dodger Dogs were Farmer John. That is one of the few things I miss about living in California. I cannot get Farmer John here, otherwise, I am totally happy about living in Washington.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/8/05 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever down here again, look me up and I'll treat to you one. Smile

"Nothing makes a meal like Farmer John."
Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/18/05 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say it ain't so, Vinnie!

From today's L.A. Times:

"This is blasphemy, isn't it? The folks who make Dodger Dogs rooting for the Angels?

Yet Farmer John jumped on the Angel bandwagon. During the playoffs, Farmer John purchased ads on the Angels' radio broadcasts — in English and Spanish — congratulating the team on its championship season.

'We're a California company,' said Jim Stockham, Farmer John director of marketing. 'We want to be loyal to as many California teams as we can. We hope to be able to support the Angels long-term.' "

LONG-TERM???

You can give them the un-grilled ones!

And who do they cheer for in the Freeway Series, then? Sheesh, no more going both ways here!

(Note: At least he said "California", not "Los Angeles." Smile )

-Baseball Hall of Fame
debisfriends

PostPosted: Fri 10/21/05 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say that I have to agree with you. How can they be so two-faced? The Angels have been a California team for all these years why the change in support now? I was rooting for the Angels too sort of but then I grew up with them as my team. I root for the Mariners first the Angels second sometimes but that fandom is falling down to who they are playing against. I was not overly dissappointed when they lost because I thoroughly enjoyed watching the other team win. I know, I am fickle, I just enjoy baseball. I didn't even know whether I wanted Houston to win because I enjoyed watching the Cardinals so much.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/22/06 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets a mid-winter BUMP while warming them up for the regular season!

I grilled Dodger dogs on my barbecue this past weekend and damn, were they ever good!!!!

Is Opening Day here yet???

-Baseball Hall of Fame
debisfriends

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/06 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not opening day yet but boy am I ready for it. Debbie and I went to fanfest at Safeco and I bought some new stickers for my car and a new license plate cover so nobody can wonder where my loyalties are. Spring training is almost ready for the games to begin. I am SO excited.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/06 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Where have you been???

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/06 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debisfriends wrote:
No it is not opening day yet but boy am I ready for it. Debbie and I went to fanfest at Safeco and I bought some new stickers for my car and a new license plate cover so nobody can wonder where my loyalties are. Spring training is almost ready for the games to begin. I am SO excited.

I heard this morning that the Seattle players already have given a nickname to catcher Kenji Johjima. "Yomama"

"It's easy to fit in with these guys because they have fun," Johjima said through an interpreter. "They're already causing trouble with me and teasing me, which feels good..."

Linda just reminded me that I have Dodger dogs in the freezer. I think I'll grill them this weekend. yummm..
sittingstill

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/06 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of the Fenway Frank, but I lived all last summer on RemDawgs from Jerry Remy's stand at Fenway. When I went to the Hot Stove Cool Music concert last month, they had Fenway's organist playing before the concert started, and just listening to the sounds of Fenway had me craving a RemDawg! Laughing There's just nothing else like 'em. Especially partially burned... mmmmmm.
crzblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/9/06 4:30 pm    Post subject: Derek Lowe picks Dodger Dogs over Fenway Franks! Reply with quote

Ok, so D-Lowe on this LIVE chat picked Dodger dogs over Fenway Franks but... he said he never had a Fenway frank. Here is the link

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060307&content_id=1338783&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

BTW, I tried to go on-line to ask a question, but I kept getting server is not responding or something like that....
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/9/06 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ryan_Clubb: What CD is in your CD player right now?

WEAK!

Crz, why is it that all these people in the live chats are people we've never heard of before?

Hey, note that he mentions his favorite player was Alan. Smile

He said DDs are too skinny, but he left out that they're long. Mmmm! I want a picante dog NOW.

Harpo, will you grill me one?

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/19/07 12:41 pm; edited 8 times in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/27/06 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd bump this up because I just read this obit in Sunday's L.A. Times:

Thomas G. Arthur, creator of the almighty Dodger Dog immortalized in this thread, passed away on June 8.

Rest in peace!

(Edit: I noticed La Periodista has also started a thread about this...a fitting tribute.)

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/27/06 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this mention:

Quote:
Arthur was cremated and a private service was planned in Los Angeles within two weeks.

One would wonder, at Chavez Ravine?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/19/07 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt my beloved DDs were not getting the respect they deserve so I am giving this thread its first bump of the season.

Just reading back on this one from MLB.com:

Quote:
...if there were a Major League Hot Dog Hall of Fame, the Dodger Dog -- a delectable foot-long in a steamed bun inhaled by followers of Koufax and Gagne -- probably would be the first inductee.

Mmmmm...it's another SoCal native in the Hall of Fame.

Very Happy

That edition is a couple of years old now; we need another version with that picture of Jackie Robinson that you see at the DD stands.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That edition is a couple of years old now; we need another version with that picture of Jackie Robinson that you see at the DD stands.

You betcha! The first thing I am going to do when I am back at D.S. is have a Dodger Dog! yum.

When I took my 7 year old niece last Saturday, she asked me if we could share her D.D. cause she would not be able to finish it. She is a finicky (sp?Smile eater. I told her we would have one each and if she did not finish it , well I would. Next thing I know she hands me the empty wrapper. Good girl!. I am training her well. I think I will take her to the WIN kids baseball clinic.l
jimedmondsfan

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course they sell more DDs...you all have 8 million people in LA...but we are not going by sales--we are going by taste! The Cardinals Hunter Jumbo Hot Dog is still better!! Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Fame has nothing to do with sales. Quality, not popularity, has always determined that.

Quote:
if there were a Major League Hot Dog Hall of Fame, the Dodger Dog -- a delectable foot-long in a steamed bun inhaled by followers of Koufax and Gagne -- probably would be the first inductee.

I don't see anything mentioned about sales there. They sell well because they're of quality, not bland!

P.S. Better check those population figures too... Very Happy

L.A. doesn't have eight million, and New York has always been a bigger city. If that was the standard, the Yankee dog would have always been the bigger seller.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a hot dog is a hot dog is a hot dog. The grilling definitely makes a difference in taste, an open flame campfire is the best. (Bring on the carcinogens!) But, really, I'd rather have a burger any day of the week.

You haven't seen a really terrible-looking dog, though, until you've had a Fenway Frank. I didn't taste it, but I'll never forget my friend Dean's expression and commentary at her first experience with one. LOL!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilling does make a huge difference. I do like some pizzazz in my meat, though.

I believe Crzblue said the same thing about Fenway Franks. She isn't the only one who's told me that, either. Another guy I know (a Braves fan who lives here in S.D.) told me he tried a FF and nearly broke his tooth biting down on it! LOL.

Now where are all our RS fans who used to rave about them? I'll have to give a shout out to them--haven't seen any post since last season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have your hotdog I'll take the rest of our stats .
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/20/07 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take our stats, too, along with the mighty Dodger dog. Smile

See the ad--it's part of our legacy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/5/07 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up for JEF's visit to San Diego this week! I'm going out to meet her at Triple Crown soon!

One other bit of related good news:

Last week the Dodgers announced the next phase of OLOCR's renovation which will take place this offseason--the concession stands and concourses. Owner Frank McCourt says all stands will now be equipped to serve grilled Dodger Dogs®!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: