Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Prized Collections
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/1/05 11:22 pm    Post subject: The Most Prized Collections Reply with quote

Most of you know that my collection of Dodger/baseball memorabilia is exhibited each year at our San Diego County Fair, Home and Hobby Show. Well, this year our board was down when the fair was going on in June/July.

I thought I would bring this up for a couple of reasons: first, to put into proper context a few things for our newer members, second, as a lead-in to another couple of stories I'm going to post, and last, to provoke a discussion about collections (if others collect, and I know some of you do).

Anyway, I won a blue (appropriate color!) ribbon this year. This is the fifth year I've shown my collection, and in three of the years I won a first place. I know it sounds like bragging, sorry about that, but bear with me since it gives me a little bit of satisfaction in a year that has been pretty disappointing in many ways on the baseball front. My collection is something I'm very proud of and which gives me great joy because I can relive so many memories and, since I love history and the cultural impact of the game, I enjoy imagining what life was like in the "golden era" of baseball. The artifacts I have collected from eras before I was born inspire that same sense of wonder in me.

On the other hand, even with all the problems that have accompanied this Dodger season, I can't complain too much. Attending some great games, seeing the Boys of Summer honored, and having already realized a lifelong dream of going to Vero Beach, FL this last spring have been some other great highlights.

But back to the County Fair:

I still have no idea why they can't group all the sports exhibits together. Collections (of various items, anything an exhibitor collects) are shown in upright display cases with eight shelves divided by two sides; each exhibitor gets two shelves and the collections are varied and could be of anything. My curiosity is piqued each year when I set up in my assigned case about what kind of collections will share my space. This year, I was given the top two shelves on the left side of one cabinet.

If you were on the old board two or three years ago you might remember one of my stories about showcasing this Dodger collection, and how one particular year there was a collection of Beatrix Potter figurines right next to it.

Well, this year the two shelves below me held a collection of all things having to do with mermaids. Smile I thought that was funny enough, but the two top shelves to the right of me were empty. While I was setting up, a man came in with two boxes and put them down next to the cabinet. He looked over at me and said, "Your collection looks great! I'm going to have to tell my dad, he will love it." He went on to say his father was an older fan who went back to the Brooklyn Dodger days, and then told me, "My dad hates my collection. He'll like yours much better!" As he started unpacking items to put in his display space, I realized how "controversial" that collection could be in a family: It consisted entirely of Richard Nixon memorabilia! Smile

The man who was the main Collections Division coordinator was ribbing me because he was wearing a Padre jersey. He said, "We'll have to make sure they grade downward for Dodger stuff." When I came back after the judging had been done, during the run of the fair, I ran across the same man and pointed at the blue ribbon. He said, "I have to admit, even I am pretty impressed." He turned out to be a nice guy after all. He was in his 70s and remembered a lot of Brooklyn Dodger moments from the 1940s and '50s as well as the team's move west.

In past years I have included such things as the Dodger Monopoly set, various baseball cards, bobbleheads from different eras of Dodger baseball, general baseball items such as souvenirs from the Hall of Fame, Dodger tree ornaments (including some that Idnas sent me last year!), postcards, video/DVD, magazines, yearbooks, collectible coins, knick- knacks, and of course, many books. Remember that only about one-third of my collection can be on display due to space considerations so I usually try to pick and choose what best represents different eras or different facets of what I love most about the team and its history, and sometimes rearrange some of the same items. This year I went heavy on the 50th anniversary celebration since it's been a season-long tribute. Also, some of you might remember that over the last year I found a lot of "hidden treasures" I thought were gone for good, when I moved after living in the same place for 18 years, that had gotten separated from my regular collection. That was a pleasant surprise. Smile

Other than the tree ornaments, new items in this year's display included (mostly things I have picked up along the way since summer of 2004):

> Collectible Brooklyn Dodgers' coin (50th anniversary of 1955 championship)
> Jackie Robinson sliding figure, stealing home(Jackie Robinson Day at DS, 4/15/05)
> Eric Gagne uniform card
> Duke Snider autographed 2005 Dodgers yearbook
> New book (448 pages) "120 Years of Dodgers Baseball" (2004)
> Vintage Dodger Stadium postcard (circa mid-1960s)
> Dodgertown - Vero Beach postcard
> Don Drysdale bobblehead
> "Think Blue" license plate frame (Vero Beach game souvenir)
> Dodgers DVD - "The Championship Years"
> "I Live for This!" bumper sticker (from mlb.com commercial audition, 2005)

Oh yeah...for you Red Sox fans, there was also a Sox fan who had his memorabilia on display too. It didn't win a first place, but it did contain an encased ticket from Game 1 of last year's World Series. Pretty cool.

I started collecting things back in the late 1970s (the 1977 World Series program may have been one of the first things I remember treasuring) and then dropped off for some time in the 1980s. My only regret is that there are still items I thought I had in my mom's storage space that I can't find now that I know would be valuable (both in the sentimental and monetary sense), such as mementos from the 1981 world championship, for example. I started back again in the mid-1990s when I rediscovered my passion, and haven't stopped since.

If any of you collect and would like to post about it, please share with the rest of us how you got started and what you have. I know Idnas has a great Cardinal collection started and is very creative in displaying some of her objects! Maybe she'll share some of that with us.

Anything tangible that we take from baseball and hold close keeps our memories alive, reminds us through the dark offseason that spring is ahead, no matter how far off, and reflects our deep love for this great game and its players. These items may be worth far more than they are on paper because they are all about the sport we cherish as our own.

Nostalgia has no price tag.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 8/25/12 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri 9/2/05 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB,

I'm sure you have some photos from your fair display... can you scan them in and share them with us sometime?
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri 9/2/05 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who do collect, what single item do you feel is the most valuable (monetarily and sentimentally), or the rarest item in your collection?
Francine

PostPosted: Fri 9/2/05 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big collection of cards, game used items, programs, media guides, photos etc of Mark Portugal. I'd have to say I have quite the collection,lol

Let's see........3 game used jersey's (two signed)
signed ball
signed spikes
2 game used bats (one signed)
TONS of cards including every insert and special

I'd have to say my most precious items are the signed Phillies jersey and cards he signed TTM for me while he was in Boston. His sister also sent me two signed cards and last but not least my nesting dolls. I had them made special, one doll for each team he played for. I also have a set of Phillies with him being the biggest doll and a weeble doll made from my favorite photo (his mom has the only other one made). You could say I'd grab those items if ever evacuated Wink

[img]

[/img]

Last edited by Francine on Thu 1/26/06 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, as a Red Sox fan, I have a collection of very nice treasures from last year. They include: World Series game 4 ticket stubs, my kids and my own, dirt from Busch stadium taken after the game, an autographed WS ball (Jason Varitek)...given to me as a gift by my kids for Mother's day...which their dad got somewhere...., an ALCS program signed by Dave Roberts (courtesy of my friend, Sue, in AZ, who went to Opening Day this year with me), among many autographed balls and pictures. It's the beginning of a nice collection of memorabilia that I hope grows over the years.....

Ruth
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Roberts is a great guy. You probably read my comments about him in the LLWS thread. He is just SO proud of those kids. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...he is really terrific. He was an integral part of our team for the short time he was here and will always be loved in these parts. The man's smile radiates throughout his face and he always, always seemed to be smiling. I would have loved for him to stay here, but I know that Theo Epstein appreciated the fact that he wanted a full time job and there was no room in our outfield. He was very good to just understand his role during 2004 and earned a right to play full time in 2005. I'll always wish him the best (unless he's a Yankee...LOL).

Ruth
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, isn't it, that someone who was there for such a short time made such an impact. He's popular because he's classy and he hustles and always gives the game everything he has. And then of course, there's that smile, as you said.

He was really loved as a Dodger, too. Crzblue and I can both vouch for that along with a lot of others.

But I know he's really happy with the Padres.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/05 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love Dave Roberts. He wasn't here for very long but had such a big impact in helping the team win last year. He seems like such a great guy. I miss him, but I'm glad he's happy out there. Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/4/05 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to post this:

I received my cash award recently for having won the blue ribbon.
What did I do with it?

Bought something baseball-related, of course!!!

http://www.nbhof.org/products/200886.htm

And still had money left over to buy a Dodger dog at the game! Cool

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 10/5/05 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to show ya'll what I got

I doubt I need to tell you who it belonged to Laughing

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/27/06 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baseball Hall of Fame is looking for stories about unique items in a collection, "artifacts" with a background. Any fan can enter. This sounds like a really cool contest.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Fri 1/27/06 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
The Baseball Hall of Fame is looking for stories about unique items in a collection, "artifacts" with a background. Any fan can enter. This sounds like a really cool contest.

OMG! Linda, are you going to participate? What is this Cooperstown Winter Carnival Weekend (Feb. 10-12). I will be staying in Boston after my trip to N.H that weekend.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/27/06 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I have an artifact that is unique enough to compete with those of other fans around the major leagues. I would love to see the results, though!

I don't know about that winter carnival! Maybe they have it on the HOF website? I was going to search for it later but didn't get around to it.

I just thought the contest idea was a great one. There are so many great stories I've read behind the collectibles some fans have obtained.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Fri 1/27/06 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, you have an amazing collection, however I do have a unique artifact,lol.............and to think they all made fun of it Wink (just kidding of course)
Phanatic's Girl

PostPosted: Fri 1/27/06 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 22 signed baseballs. Most are minor leaguers but I do have some MLB ones too. I have Craig Biggio(the one that started the collection), Mark Prior, Randy Wolf(twice Wink), Greg Luzinski, Ryan Howard Very Happy , Chase Utley and Mike Lieberthal.

I also have a few mini helmets and catchers masks that also are signed by Darren Daulton, Mike Lieberthal and Randy Wolf.

I also have a growing collection of game worn minor league jerseys. They are some of the players that I became friends with.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/5/06 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was “that time of year” for me this weekend, as the first Saturday of June marks my annual trip to Del Mar to set up my collection in the Home and Hobby show of our County Fair…as some of you know, I do like to prominently display some of my new items acquired over the past year as well as some of the “old favorites” which are among my most prized memorabilia. Now, of course, my reserved level seats could not fit into two two glass display cases Smile , so I had to leave them behind. Following the set-up, judging takes place this week before the fair’s official run begins this coming Saturday.

Every year there seems to be one problem or another with getting this stuff to the fairgrounds within the specified time frame for delivery. Here’s this year’s story—I guess you could refer to it as “Revenge of the Padre fan.”

I keep the items for display in several boxes in a storage unit due to my current living conditions not allowing very much room for them inside the living quarters. The rental space is located within an apartment complex in my old neighborhood, which I had to be in for another event on Saturday morning, so my plan was to stop by, borrow a dolly from Harpo so I could stack the boxes for easy transportation from the parking area to the building, get the boxes out, and drive to Del Mar.

Well, easier said than done. When I got to the storage unit there was a car, assumed to be one of a resident there, parked up against the door so that I could not access it. I found out where the manager was and asked her whose car it was. I noticed that she was in the process of packing to move and she told me she was no longer officially the complex manager, but directed me to another unit where the car’s owner presumably resided. After knocking loudly on the door several times, repeatedly and in succession, with no response, I went back to the ex-manager, who gave me the phone number of the property owner, for which I reached a voice mail recording and left my number. I started to panic thinking that there was a possibility they might not get back to me until the next business day.

Frustrated, I took note of the car’s license plate number and noticed a bold bumper sticker on it declaring “SAN DIEGO PADRES 2005 NL WEST CHAMPIONS.” I thought to myself how ironic it would be if I couldn’t get my items to the fair because of a Padre fan blocking my access!

Since it was mid-afternoon now, I was feeling pretty desperate and started making calls around to the point where my cell battery was going to need to be recharged soon. I was finally able to obtain an “emergency maintenance” phone number for the property manager and reached a live person, who told me she knew whose car was assigned to that space and he shouldn’t be parked up right against the door. She said she’d contact him and get back to me. A few minutes later I was told, “He’s at work in his shop right now but will be home a little after 5:00.” I told her that was too late, and she should find a way to let me in NOW. A few minutes later she called me back and said, “He will close up early and can be there in about 20 minutes, so just stay there and wait.” (Like I had any alternative?!)

The guy showed up as expected and was apologetic, saying this was actually his “other” car and not the one he uses for work. I was just so happy to be able to get into the garage and get the boxes that I wasn’t mad anymore, and let it go. He may have seen that the boxes I was removing contained Dodgers items, since we talked for a few minutes while I briefly removed the lids to see what was in each box, but he sure didn't make any mention of anti-Dodgers sentiment. Perhaps he knew better. Smile

By the time I zipped up I-5 (getting slowed down a bit for late afternoon beach traffic) and arrived at the gate, it was 4:35 and I had 25 minutes to get everything out and set up. I walked to the registration desk where at least one person remembered me from past years: “You’re the Dodger lady? We’ve been wondering where you were!” She directed me to Bonnie, another volunteer who whisked me away to where my collection would be displayed and opened the case for me. Bonnie was very friendly and talked a lot while I started removing items from my boxes. She wanted to know what I considered to be the best baseball books ever written and asked me about my favorite baseball movies. She chattered away as I placed things on the shelves and even gave suggestions on how to arrange items for maximum use of the display area that was allotted. It was clear she was only a very casual baseball fan, but she said she’s an elementary school teacher and talked to me about some of her students who love baseball, and wanted to look at the book “Promises to Keep” by Sharon Robinson while I was placing other items on the shelves, saying she might order it for use in the classroom. Over the course of the conversation I found out she is three weeks to the day younger than me. I fretted that I was taking too much time, but Bonnie told me she enjoys talking to people about their collections and she didn’t mind staying a little late to allow me extra time.

I also make it a point every year to note what other themes my collection is adjacent to, and on one side of my display were two shelves of an assortment of old antique tins (as mentioned before, for some reason I have never understood, they do not group all the sports collections together).

Anyway, due to the conversational delays and re-arrangement of items, it required much more time than usual to complete the set-up, and soon I realized we were the only two left in the building—just about when a man hollered out, “I’m ready to lock up!” On the way out, I caught glimpse of a display of Padres memorabilia in another case, but didn't have time to look closely at it. I'll have to do that later when I return after the fair gets underway.

I often feel the most competitive aspect of this competition is working against circumstances that almost don't allow me to show my collection. Smile

So, we’ll see how it does this year…

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 6/22/10 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 6/5/06 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope your collection brings home the Dodger-blue ribbon again.

I'd have been hoppin' mad at the idiot parked in front of your storage unit.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/24/06 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad call by the ump! Or as another Dodger fan expressed, "Foul at the fair."

I just learned that my exhibit this year did not win the desired award for 2006, and instead pulled in a red ribbon.

So far I've won four blue ribbons--signifying, appropriately, first place--over the years so I guess I'll have to settle for a second place finish this year. A friend suggested there must have been too many Padre fans on the judging panel this time. Smile Dang, Idnas, I thought the vial of sacred ground dirt from Doubleday Field in Cooperstown would ensure a victory.

Now I realize there are some of you here who think that there's nothing wrong with red but I beg to differ in this case.
Confused

On the Idea bright side, I was told by one of the Home & Hobby coordinators that my exhibit is one of the "most requested" that the directors get asked about by visitors.

So there Smile I feel a little better now.
Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Mon 6/26/06 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations DB! 2nd place is still very good

Quote:
On the Idea bright side, I was told by one of the Home & Hobby coordinators that my exhibit is one of the "most requested" that the directors get asked about by visitors.

They must be Dodger fans or friends of yours. Do you advertise in the Padre forum also?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/26/06 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been posted in the Padres' forum in a past year (by someone else, not me!) but nothing has been mentioned this year.

I think it's more a "word of mouth" thing. I've told people I know who are interested, and some have told others to look for it, and then they want to know where specifically it is when they get there.

I know that when I went to the fair for the awards ceremony last year, I walked by my display case and there was a guy standing in front of it, talking excitedly on a cell phone to someone about everything that was in the collection!

LOL

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Tue 6/27/06 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red ribbons are just fine Razz

Linda, your collection stems from so much history, it's amazing. I'm sure with all the love in your heart for the Dodgers it is shown and that is why so many fans ask to see it. It is truely something to be proud of. Take my collection,lol a player who is virtual unknown but it's special to me. Big difference, your the major leaguer here and your ribbons prove it's special. RED, BLUE, doesn't matter, it's the heart and soul that makes it special! Congratulations again!
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Wed 11/8/06 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
It has been posted in the Padres' forum in a past year (by someone else, not me!) but nothing has been mentioned this year.

I think it's more a "word of mouth" thing. I've told people I know who are interested, and some have told others to look for it, and then they want to know where specifically it is when they get there.

I know that when I went to the fair for the awards ceremony last year, I walked by my display case and there was a guy standing in front of it, talking excitedly on a cell phone to someone about everything that was in the collection!

LOL

Once again you've impressed me Linda,it seems your passion for the game in general and the Dodgers in particular,know no bounds...Absolutely beautiful collection.
I have a couple of collections,not sports related though...
My baseball stuff consists of:
1988 World Series Champions hat and affixed to that is my Jackie Robinson commerative pin I picked up at Candlestick the day baseball retired Jackie Robinsons number, June 7th,1997...Jackies plaque was uncovered by Barroids in left field,I hated that part...
I collect belt buckles and have a Dodgers buckle I bought at Dodgers Stadium,A Dodgers jersey,with no name...
My proudest piece I just got recently,an autographed baseball signed by the great Vin Scully,which I'm having vacuum sealed in a glass box...
Congratulations on an absolutely wonderful collection.The related stories are pretty cool too...
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/10/06 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I aim for another blue ribbon in 2007! Smile

It is no coincidence that color is associated with the highest honor, is it?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 11/12/06 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, no Linda and I'm sure you will get it!
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Mon 11/13/06 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Thanks...I aim for another blue ribbon in 2007! Smile

It is no coincidence that color is associated with the highest honor, is it?

Its too bad your so limited for space for your collection Linda,it would be nice to see the complete thing...Best of luck for another Blue 'first' in 2007...
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, haven't posted in this thread for over a year. But now is a great time to do so.

I'm not too materialistic a person, as a rule, but one thing those of you who've known me for awhile are aware of, is my pride in my prized Dodgers-related baseball memorabilia collection. The strong connection I feel to the items included is based less on their monetary value, and more on sentimental value of the memories they represent. They are also associated with many of the teams' past players and the groundbreaking influence our team has had over the years. Their historical impact is not contained to the organization, but has been felt beyond Brooklyn and L.A., on a broader scale as a part of the rich history of Major League Baseball.

Indeed, many of the items do not have much monetary value, while some of the autographed ones do. In some cases they simply document special moments from various phases of my own life from childhood through the present.

This collection has been showcased in the San Diego County Fair (one of the largest fairs in the country) for several years, and is a multiple Blue Ribbon Award winner.

Because of several trips I took last summer, I did not get my act together in time to organize my display for last year's fair, and thus missed a year of entering it in the Home & Hobby Show competition.

But--also because of the trips I took in '07--I was able to add many new items to the collection, because the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. and the All-Star FanFest in San Francisco were great places to purchase memorabilia. And of course, there've been several new objects I've acquired in the first few months of 2008, with the trip to Vero Beach and other events closer to home.

So, I'm roaring back in this year. I'm excited because of the recent commemorative items I've obtained which will be included in the exhibit. There are also many older collectibles I've only recently purchased or received as gifts. In fact, a few are quite unique. I've also been extremely fortunate enough to have friends and family members who assist in my collecting mania by gifting me with many items, which are often unexpected.

Two recent examples are as follows:

- Several months ago, an older lady at my church was recently downsizing to a smaller place to live, when she ran across a rare, long out-of-print book chronicling the Dodgers' first two decades in L.A. It included many previously unseen (by me) photos, some of which were quite entertaining. Reading it provided a strange perspective, as the final chapter wrapped up the 1977 season, the first one in which Tommy Lasorda managed the team--before the next several chapters of history were written.

- Crzblue's and my friend Lou from Wilmington, DE, who flew out for the exhibition game at the Coliseum in March, brought for Crzblue, Harpo and myself photocopies of the 1958 Dodgers yearbook, which he had purchased off Ebay. He included two more surprises for my collection--the 1959 (first world championship season in L.A.) and (defending world champions) 1960 yearbooks as a bonus.

The real challenge for me is determining which individual items to include in the fair entry, as size is limited (two shelves of space) and deciding which represent a cross-section and good mix of moments and players from different Dodger eras.

So, this weekend I hauled everything up to the fairgrounds in Del Mar to set up the exhibit for judging before the fair begins its run next weekend. I was given several choices of which display cases to use, and chose the top two shelves of one. It's always interesting seeing what entries are in the same cabinets, since several have adjoining space.

I was also excited to learn that the theme of this year's fair is "Summer of Sports", which is complemented very nicely by baseball. Usually the fair's theme is related to our region's rich agricultural heritage, so this was a change of pace.

However, while both are sports-related, my display is immediately above that of some kid's World Wresting memorabilia, so this should be interesting. Smile

Anyway, I beamed as the organizers welcomed me and one of the volunteers said she was glad I was back, as there had been many inquiries by visitors last summer as to "where the Dodger lady's collection is". She informed me that a lot of fairgoers left the building disappointed when told I wasn't exhibiting in '07. Aw, shucks. Smile Not bad for Padres country, though!

I'll be back a little later with a list of items that have been added since the collection was last on display, in 2006. A few of you here will be familiar with some of them (as several posters actually contributed). Smile

Unfortunately, the award winners are not posted on the fair's website until sometime about a week after Opening Day, which is next Saturday. We don't even receive notification from the judges until that time, when contestants are invited to the awards ceremony which is usually held two weeks into the fair's run. I'm going to the fair myself early next week, so unless someone I know sees it and tells me ahead of time, I'll just be hoping for that next Blue Ribbon until I know for sure.

Very Happy Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, haven't posted in this thread for over a year. But now is a great time to do so.

I'm not too materialistic a person, as a rule, but one thing those of you who've known me for awhile are aware of, is my pride in my prized Dodgers-related baseball memorabilia collection. The strong connection I feel to the items included is based less on their monetary value, and more on sentimental value of the memories they represent. They are also associated with many of the teams' past players and the groundbreaking influence our team has had over the years. Their historical impact is not contained to the organization, but has been felt beyond Brooklyn and L.A., on a broader scale as a part of the rich history of Major League Baseball.

Indeed, many of the items do not have much monetary value, while some of the autographed ones do. In some cases they simply document special moments from various phases of my own life from childhood through the present.

This collection has been showcased in the San Diego County Fair (one of the largest fairs in the country) for several years, and is a multiple Blue Ribbon Award winner.

Because of several trips I took last summer, I did not get my act together in time to organize my display for last year's fair, and thus missed a year of entering it in the Home & Hobby Show competition.

But--also because of the trips I took in '07--I was able to add many new items to the collection, because the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. and the All-Star FanFest in San Francisco were great places to purchase memorabilia. And of course, there've been several new objects I've acquired in the first few months of 2008, with the trip to Vero Beach and other events closer to home.

So, I'm roaring back in this year. I'm excited because of the recent commemorative items I've obtained which will be included in the exhibit. There are also many older collectibles I've only recently purchased or received as gifts. In fact, a few are quite unique. I've also been extremely fortunate enough to have friends and family members who assist in my collecting mania by gifting me with many items, which are often unexpected.

Two recent examples are as follows:

- Several months ago, an older lady at my church was recently downsizing to a smaller place to live, when she ran across a rare, long out-of-print book chronicling the Dodgers' first two decades in L.A. It included many previously unseen (by me) photos, some of which were quite entertaining. Reading it provided a strange perspective, as the final chapter wrapped up the 1977 season, the first one in which Tommy Lasorda managed the team--before the next several chapters of history were written.

- Crzblue's and my friend Lou from Wilmington, DE, who flew out for the exhibition game at the Coliseum in March, brought for Crzblue, Harpo and myself photocopies of the 1958 Dodgers yearbook, which he had purchased off Ebay. He included two more surprises for my collection--the 1959 (first world championship season in L.A.) and (defending world champions) 1960 yearbooks as a bonus.

The real challenge for me is determining which individual items to include in the fair entry, as size is limited (two shelves of space) and deciding which represent a cross-section and good mix of moments and players from different Dodger eras.

So, this weekend I hauled everything up to the fairgrounds in Del Mar to set up the exhibit for judging before the fair begins its run next weekend. I was given several choices of which display cases to use, and chose the top two shelves of one. It's always interesting seeing what entries are in the same cabinets, since several have adjoining space.

I was also excited to learn that the theme of this year's fair is "Summer of Sports", which is complemented very nicely by baseball. Usually the fair's theme is related to our region's rich agricultural heritage, so this was a change of pace.

However, while both are sports-related, my display is immediately above that of some kid's World Wresting memorabilia, so this should be interesting. Smile

Anyway, I beamed as the organizers welcomed me and one of the volunteers said she was glad I was back, as there had been many inquiries by visitors last summer as to "where the Dodger lady's collection is". She informed me that a lot of fairgoers left the building disappointed when told I wasn't exhibiting in '07. Aw, shucks. Smile Not bad for Padres country, though!

I'll be back a little later with a list of items that have been added since the collection was last on display, in 2006. A few of you here will be familiar with some of them (as several posters actually contributed). Smile

Unfortunately, the award winners are not posted on the fair's website until sometime about a week after Opening Day, which is next Saturday. We don't even receive notification from the judges until that time, when contestants are invited to the awards ceremony which is usually held two weeks into the fair's run. I'm going to the fair myself early next week, so unless someone I know sees it and tells me ahead of time, I'll just be hoping for that next Blue Ribbon until I know for sure.

Very Happy Very Happy

Wish me luck...and smart judges!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Linda. I'm sure you'll win another 1st place ribbon with the addition of your sacred Vero Beach dirt. Did you find a special container to put that in? Are you going to credit Joe Mather for it's acquisition? Very Happy

"The strong connection I feel to the items included is based .... more on sentimental value of the memories they represent."

That's how I feel about my stuff, too... especially my newspaper clippings/collages. They tell a story. My story of most memorable moments and the Cardinals' story, combined.

Looking forward to hearing your fair stories... I'm sure there will be some good ones.
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Wish me luck...and smart judges!

you got it.

looking foward to the report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: