Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Prized Collections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see how you do! This is so right up your alley. You could right a book with the personal history behind all your collectables. Don't forget to mention how you got that dirt.lol I bet no body has that.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that dirt is prominently featured. Will write more later. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
chisoxgal

PostPosted: Mon 6/9/08 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes! Sounds like it's filled with some wonderful memories! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/20/08 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to take some time here to post an update since I haven't had the chance to do so yet (and it's been two months already!). Amy has mentioned in another thread going to the fair last week, and I kept being reminded I hadn't posted about my own fair trip or the results of the judging. I thought of creating an OT thread about it since I had some non-baseball things to say, but decided against that and just figured I'd merge it all into this one.

I usually go to the San Diego County Fair a couple of times during its annual run, but this year it just got really hectic at that time, as I was working, preparing for a trip out of the country, experienced a death in the family, and had a graduation to attend all in the first two weeks after I set up my memorabilia collection on display.

So a little bit of this will be OT stuff, but I want to encourage anyone who is ever in San Diego in June or July to check this out. The next few comments will be a little bit about civic pride, and the rest of it about sports (with some civic pride there, too). Smile I wrote an article for the newsletter that serves my complex, and some of the facts I included in it are contained below. I'm not sure if Nurse Cozmo attended the County Fair this year, but if so, she will find some of this familiar. I used to volunteer at the fair back in the late '80s through the mid-'90s, so I've got a bit of the history down pat.

The County Fair in Del Mar is an event I look forward to with great anticipation every June. Traditionally, the fair was an agriculturally-based exhibition of our region's rich diversity, which has grown vastly over the decades. To an outsider, San Diego County is generally viewed as tourist-based, with miles of beautiful beaches, but many people don't know these facts about our area:

1. Nationally, it is the 12th largest farm economy in the U.S., with a $5.1 billion annual value.

2. It is in the top two counties in the U.S. in production of at least six different crops.

3. It is #2 in the nation in farms with women as principal operator. Smile

One of the biggest draws at the fair each year is the Flower & Garden Show, a competitive exhibit that includes 5,000 bloom specimens exhibited by 45 nurseries and landscape design companies. Some here, I'm sure, would appreciate that. Smile

But for me personally, the biggest attraction at this year's event was the "Summer of Sports", upon which the theme for the 2008 fair was based. Sure, there are other exhibits I come to the fair for--the floral show mentioned above; the "City of the Military" showcase; the Mariachi contests; the Reggae Festival; the animals (furry and otherwise); the wine-tasting. (This end of the state is getting some love in competitions, as the Temecula Valley vintners' region is quickly becoming internationally respected--although it'll never put Napa Valley out of business.) Smile

And, in Del Mar, you certainly could not ask for a more scenic venue. On the site of one of the premiere thoroughbred racetracks in the country--"Where the Turf Meets the Surf", as the ads go--the fairgrounds boast a great location. Ride the Ferris wheel on the midway, and from the top you'll see the vast Pacific just a few feet to the west, and the agricultural valleys with the mountains beyond, in the other direction.

But it's the subject of sports that pulls me in deeper than anything. The local history of everything from baseball to surfing to golf to thoroughbred racing is covered in this exhibit, with visuals including the 113 "Sports Illustrated" covers which have featured a local athlete over the last 50+ years. (Were they all jinxed? I don't know!) Razz

In recent decades, as our local population has boomed (tripling since 1950), attendance at our fair averages 1.2 million people--the fifth-largest in numbers of all fairs in the U.S. And, it lost out on a day as it opened late due to the U.S. Open this year.

We've also been a leader among fairs and festivals nationwide in implementing "green" policies. The "Clean Oceans" promotion on the fairgrounds site, which is immediately adjacent to the Pacific Ocean in Del Mar, complements that, as does the EnviroFair.

As I had posted earlier, my entry in the Home and Hobby contest was set up for display the weekend before the fair's run started. Since the winners aren't immediately posted or notified, I just had to find out for myself when I arrived at the fairgrounds what my fate was. So my friend and I strolled into the exhibitors' building to look around at other collections first before finally arriving at my display case. To my dismay, there was a red ribbon attached to my collection. Sad (No offense, fans of red teams. It's just that I was hoping for the first-place blue ribbon.)

Well, no time to waste being disappointed for too long, even though I was told by others--including many Padre fans I know--that they thought this was the best display I've had since I began exhibiting several years back. I still get some award money for the second place finish (enough to buy a few beers). Smile And I've been informed that since the judges are not usually the same from year to year, it could be left to their whim, so I'm never quite sure what to expect. Well, hey, there's no accounting for poor judgment! LOL! However, I did spend an extra amount of time on this arrangement while making sure to prominently display the "50 years" theme. How'd they miss awarding me first place, with the Rose Parade float pics, the Coliseum artifacts, the dirt from Dodgertown's field, etc.? In past years when I didn't have as many unique items, it won a blue ribbon easily. Maybe it speaks to the level of competition? I don't know. Oh, well. We took off to see La Arrolladora Banda El Limon perform and I put it all out of my mind.

That having been said, here are some of the items that were in the display (not all-inclusive, just recently acquired since the previous showing's judging took place):

"Dodgers: Why They Invented Blue" mousepad

"Return to the Coliseum" ticket stub - 3/29/08

Book: Los Angeles Dodgers: 20 Year History, 1958-1977

1959 commemorative World Series baseball

Maury Wills autographed 8- 1/2 x 10" photo, circa 1963

1963 vintage Dodger Stadium original postcard (thank you, Mom!)

Dodgertown souvenir 60th anniversary cup

Rose Parade photo of Dodgers float, January 2008

L.A. Dodgers 50th anniversary magnet

Roy Campanella postcard (thank you, Joni Campanella)

"Fanatico por vida" souvenir pin

Vin Scully golden microphone pin

Vial of sacred dirt from Dodgertown, Holman Field (thank you, Sandi, and Joe Mather)

Sample of "Dodger Blue", Earl Scheib--the only auto paint color named after a sports franchise

"Return to the Coliseum" lanyard

Jackie Robinson 50th anniversary commemorative Coca-Cola bottle (1997)

2008 Spring Training - Holman Stadium/Dodgertown 60th anniversary yearbook

L.A. Dodgers 50th anniversary pins: "Brooklyn Bum" heads west, and "California 1958" license plate

L.A. Times special commemorative Dodgers 50th anniversary pull-out section

Roy Campanella "Think Cure" LED light from Coliseum exhibition game, 3/29/08

Yearbooks:

1958, first season in L.A.
1959, first world championship season
1960 (defending world champions)

Limited edition postcards:

Pee Wee Reese/Duke Snider, circa 1956

Autographed Ebbets Field original postcard, inscribed with Johnny Podres (rest in peace) "'55 World Series champs"

Game-worn jersey baseball card, Eric Karros

1966 Dodgers official yearbook (defending world champions)

Autographed 8 1/2" x 10" Steve Garvey photo (thank you, Francine!)

"Cooperstown Firefighters Salute Jackie Robinson", 60th anniversary Induction Day/officially stamped envelope

8 1/2" x 10" photo, action shot of Dodgers outfielder Al Gionfriddo in 1947 World Series snagging Joe DiMaggio line drive, autographed by Gionfriddo

Rare 8 1/2" x 10" photo, Jackie Robinson with Willie Mays at Dodger Stadium, circa 1972

L.A. Dodgers 50th anniversary logo Bud Light commemorative bottle (thank you, Crzblue)

8 1/2" x 10" photo, Sandy Koufax with four no-hitter game balls, 1965

"Sport" magazine cover, Steve Garvey, July, 1976 (Bicentennial issue)

Mike Piazza 1994 baseball card (1993 NL Rookie of the Year)

Dodgers magazine, April, 2007, 60th anniversary Jackie Robinson commemorative edition

"Westways" magazine, L.A. Dodgers 50th anniversary issue, March 2008

1983 Dodgers magazine/scorecard, 25th anniversary in L.A.

Baseball Hall of Fame plaque postcards (I already had several Brooklyn & L.A. Dodgers HOF postcards; these completed the collection)

Brooklyn Dodgers: Leo Durocher, Burleigh Grimes, Zach Wheat, Branch Rickey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Dodgers library previously included 41 books. I have added the following ones which were published over the last three years:

"Tales from the Dodgers Dugout #3", by Rick Monday

"The Echoing Green", by Joshua Prager

"101 Reasons to Love the Dodgers", by Ron Green Jr.

"The Dodger Fan's Little Book of Wisdom", by Kathleen McKerna

"Lessons I learned from the Boys of Summer", by Steve Garvey

"I Live for This!" by Tommy Lasorda and Bill Plaschke (thank you, Justin and Garret)

"My Memories as a Brooklyn Dodger", by George "Shotgun" Shuba

"Opening Day (1947)", by Jonathan Eig

"Dodgers Essential", by Steven Travers

"Game of my Life", by Mark Langill

"Through a Blue Lens: Brooklyn Dodgers Photographs", by Dennis D'Agostino

Dodgers 2007 Media Guide
Dodgers 2008 Media Guide

(Note: No new bobbleheads in the last year...I'm always told the famous Dodger Dog® bobblehead is the most popular!) Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, we'll see if I can reclaim the blue next year. New theme: It's mine in '09! Smile

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 6/22/10 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/20/08 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should have given you first place with all you had commemorating r the 50th anniversary. You were robbed Linda! Next year the Blue ribbon is yours! Still, you were compensated with 2nd place so congratulations! wonder what 1st place had.
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 8/20/08 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you could come in second with dirt from Dodgertown. Seriously I know that no one else could have something like that. Especially since it was their last year there. Maybe the judges were Padre fans. You should still be very proud. Let's see pictures.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/21/08 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan, another friend of mine whom I commissioned to take pictures of it (while I was gone on my trip) forgot to bring her camera to the fair. Boo to that! I may have to re-set up the entire display just so I can have a good picture for posterity! (You know, I even had that dirt labeled with credits!) Smile

Thank you for your support, ladies...Harpo and I did discuss the possibility that even just one judge on the panel could so strongly anti-Dodger as to sway votes away from me.

I mentioned I got some award money, but about half of what they give to the first place winners, and that it was enough to buy a few beers. I forgot to add that with the weak dollar exchange, the cost of beers abroad was a LOT more than I planned to spend! So that money didn't even go as far as I expected. Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/25/08 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to bump this up to share a true story:

My friend Scarlet and her family have really gotten into the metal detecting hobby over the past year, and started going to club meetings where fellow detectors share what they have found. They take their kids out and do metal detecting on the beaches of San Diego and on occasion find some interesting objects. This weekend they were at a meeting at which one of the club members displayed some of his prized loot. One of the final items he showed was a Dodgers' collector pin from the 1988 World Series, which he'd found in the sand on the shores of La Jolla. Scarlet thought of me, and decided to ask him if he would sell it to her. She said someone else at the meeting waved her hand in the air and also asked about that same pin, saying she wanted to buy it. The guy said yes, he would sell it since he wasn't a Dodger fan.

After the meeting, Scarlet went over to talk to the other person, to see how much she planned to spend on it and see if she could outbid her to get the pin for me. The woman was rummaging through her purse but didn't have much cash on hand, so she told Scarlet to go ahead and get it if she wanted to. Scarlet then felt bad as if she was potentially taking something away from another Dodger fan, so she asked, "Are you a Dodger fan?" She replied no, but she was going to buy it for a friend who is. Scarlet said she was doing the same thing--buying it for a friend. She gave the guy the money, took the pin and handed it to her husband, saying, "Hold on to this for Linda since we're seeing her soon."

Well, that comment perked up the ears of the other woman. "Linda? I was going to buy it for someone named Linda." It turns out her fellow metal detector is also someone I know! This club is a rather large one that serves a good-sized geographic area, and neither of these people knew each other as a friend of mine, but it turns out they were both wanting to buy the same pin for me! LOL!

Thanks to networking among the metal-detecting community of San Diego, I got the prized item last night. It was in pristine condition!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm lucky to have nice friends. Cool

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/26/08 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Linda! that is a nice story. Imagine that! Two people bidding for the same item so they can give it to you.
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 8/27/08 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me to bring a metal detector next time him out there. I'll give you whatever I find. Well maybe. Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/9/09 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Diego County Fair concluded its run on Sunday. I didn't win a blue ribbon. Sad Sorry, Cardinals fans, it's nothing personal against red. I just wanted another first place prize. That's two years now I've fallen short. Oh well!

Attendance at our fair averages 1.2 million people--the fifth-largest in numbers of all fairs in the U.S. This year, even with a bad economy, it broke its own previous attendance record. I've mentioned before there are many draws that our region is famous for, including the Flower & Garden Show with so many varieties of plants we are known for. So it's not just sports, or memorabilia collections, that gets my attention at this event every year. I love the Temecula Valley wine tasting (an area that has really come into its own in international competitions). I love taking the California Dairy Challenge and the Agri-Quiz. I love sampling the new recipes that are entered in the contest awarding best creative use of an avocado. I love the animals. I love the mariachi competitions! This year, I loved seeing new exhibits in the Home & Hobby Show, one about maritime history, another consisting of Miramar Air Show collectibles over the years. (I'm sure some from this board would enjoy that!) And there are always new and interesting art displays, including, this year, seashell sculptures.

But I love the sports exhibits the best!

One of the really nice things about the timing of this year's dodgers.com road trip to Petco Park on the Fourth of July was that it coincided with the Fair's 22-day run. That was something I made sure to announce in advance on all the boards I post on, after it was determined that the weekend Dodgers-Padres series would be on the calendar during the Fair's final weekend. So several of our out-of-town road trip participants got to stop at the Fair (conveniently located in Del Mar, on the drive south from L.A. and O.C.) and check it out. When I picked up my items at the fairgrounds on Monday, several of the volunteers and attendants mentioned there were a lot of Dodger fans in over the weekend and that once again, it had been one of the most-requested exhibits in the Home & Hobby Show.

Every year, I feature a new theme for my exhibit and try to prominently display many items related to it. This year it was the 50th anniversary of the 1959 world championship team; last year, of course, it was the 50th anniversary of the move to L.A. The previous year, it had been the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's debut. Perhaps next year, a new world championship? Well, I can dream, Smile and if that doesn't work out, I'll find something else.

Anyway, listed below are the items I added to my collection over the past year, since June, 2008 when it was last previously displayed. My most prized one is the framed original team photo, from the Brooklyn Journal (defunct newspaper), of the 1949 Dodgers, National League Champions, which I received for my birthday last year. It landed in my lap thanks to the fact that my sister's father-in-law, who grew up in NYC in the 1940s and 1950s, died earlier in the year. When my brother-in-law found it while cleaning out his dad's place, he saved it for me and had it set in a very nice frame. It is in near mint condition. You can see a young Don Newcombe in this (he was NL Rookie of the Year that year), as well as many other Dodger legends, including Hall of Famers Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella, and Jackie Robinson.

Other newly displayed items (some of them are 50th anniversary-related, but weren't acquired until after last June):

-Baseball Hall of Fame “Memories and Dreams” publication, honoring the induction of Walter O’Malley, July, 2008

-Book: “Pull Up a Chair”

-Book: “Forever Blue - Walter O'Malley"

-Book: “Out of the Blue”, by Orel Hershiser

-Book: “101 Things Dodger Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die”

-DVD: “Bluetopia” (2008), the story of the L.A. Dodgers' 50th anniversary season

-L.A. Dodgers 50th anniversary magnetic schedule (2008)

-2008-09 50th Anniversary Calendar

-Miller Lite Commemorative 50th Anniversary edition

-Postcard, Roy Campanella memorial (given to me by Joni Campanella)

-CD: “Songs You Love from Dodger Stadium”

-1959 World Championship Transistor Radio

-Photos of Orlando Hudson hitting for cycle, 4/13/09, Dodgers home opener

-2009 Dodgers Yearbook

-2009 Dodgers Media Guide

-1988 World Championship pin (story about this item is posted above in this thread)

-Programs and scorecards, 2008 NLDS and 2008 NLCS

-Ticket stub, 2008 NLDS, Dodgers vs. Cubs

-2009 Camelback Ranch Yearbook, Inaugural Season/Commemorative Edition

-“The World of Dodgertown” logo/mini-poster

-All new 2009 Dodger Dog – Dodgers Legacy ad

-11” x 17 framed print – Koufax’s perfect game, ninth inning, 9/9/65

-11” x 17 framed print – Gibson rounding bases, World Series Game 1,
10/15/88

-Photos of dedication ceremony for Dodgers star on Hollywood Boulevard,
June, 2008

Also: a recently recovered (from my storage space) 1978 World Series souvenir helmet

My Dodger library now includes close to 60 books related to this team and/ or its players, other personalities, its history, impact on baseball, etc..

If you count books relating to other teams and their players, there are roughly 75 to 80.

And by the way--the Manny wig stayed home in its wrapping!

Until next year...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Thu 7/9/09 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be able to go to the fair and see your collection. Sorry you didn't get the blue.
stlred

PostPosted: Thu 7/9/09 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the prizes broken into categories? You know I would love the flowers and avocado recipes.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/10/09 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys.

Quote:
Are the prizes broken into categories? You know I would love the flowers and avocado recipes.

Yes, Home & Hobby awards collections, and Floral and Garden, various foods divisions, etc. judge all of those separately.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 7/10/09 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who won first prize? I can't imagine anyone doing better than you. Do you have pictures? Would love to come some time when that is going on. I think I would enjoy the whole thing. I know first place is the best but you should be really proud of your red ribbon. That is awesome.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 7/12/09 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw the prized collection just before I left town and really enjoyed it. The fair is always a good time. Better luck next year!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/16/09 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who won first prize?

I meant to post earlier, but I'm really not sure. The only way to find out is attend the awards ceremony, or wander around to every individual exhibit until you find the blue ribbon in the sports category. I saw a lot of sports-related exhibits, but not all of them. The building they're housed in is a pretty big one.

One other contest I noticed on the fair schedule that's somewhat sports-related was "California's Strongest Man." Come on...you mean it isn't the governor?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/24/09 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other contest I noticed on the fair schedule that's somewhat sports-related was "California's Strongest Man." Come on...you mean it isn't the governor?

Strong enough to write me an IOU, lol. One other thing we saw outside when we were waiting to go in, was a guy circulating petitions about the Del Mar fairgrounds being closed and sold for revenue which the governor has proposed.

One more thing I would suggest to others if you plan to come out here and go to this fair, check out the gold mining exhibit, it's fun and especially if you have kids. You can learn about mining and even pan for gold yourself.

As for the collections a couple of years ago I did see a guy showing a Red Sox memorabilia collection with a lot of World series stuff. I believe it had won either first or second place. Maybe you remember better DB.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/24/10 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahhhh! I want my blue ribbon back!

The San Diego County Fair began its run two weeks ago, and I didn't win, again. This is the third year in a row I've failed to re-claim it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Some of you here remember the story about my friend Andrea, who married a Cubs fan a couple of years ago. Well, for the first time ever, he entered his collection of Cubs memorabilia in the Home & Hobby Show, and I have to say it was pretty impressive. While neither one of us won a blue ribbon, we did win runner-up awards.

New items this year include a few books, including "A Tale of Three Cities", the infield dirt I posted about having obtained a few months ago, and some '09 NLCS and 2010 Dodger-specific publications; also, the Dodger Mickey Mouse from the All-Star Summer Disney collection.

Neither Andrea's husband Mike or I have a bobblehead-heavy collection, because we prefer to focus more on the history of the game and some of the more unique items which demonstrate our love for and appreciation of baseball traditions. That's what has brought me success in the Collections Division in previous years, so I'm curious to see how the other competitors' exhibits compare, when I go to the fair next week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 7/6/10 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 6/28/10 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be back later to post more about other subjects but for right now I did want to follow up with DB about our conversation earlier when I said I was gong to the fair. We did go to the fair, and I saw both collections. It seemed you were downsized in space this year and I feel that worked against you. Why was that? Still very impressive. Danny's friend was with us and he enjoyed seeing it, and when I told him about some of your stuff from before he said he would like to see it all in one room. One more thing, you are right, when we asked for directions to find it the lady said she had been asked a lot about it.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/2/10 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's still good Linda, we're going this weekend so we will be sure to look for it. I know it means a lot to you to get that blue ribbon back!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/25/11 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to post my annual update in this thread and recap a bit about the San Diego County Fair:

The fair began its run two weeks ago, this year being its 75th anniversary year. I guess everyone here knows I enter my Dodgers memorabilia collection in the Home & Hobby Show every year, and it is a multiple time blue ribbon winner.

Well, it hasn't won in four years now Sad so BOOOOO to that, but I always have fun with it, because you can't display the same items as you have used in previous years. So the challenge every summer is to arrange new items in an aesthetic manner, hopefully with enough variety and uniqueness to impress the judges.

On the other hand, there may be judges who just don't like the Dodgers. Sad

In any case, I'll give a plug as I always do to our fair. Cathy and Sunnyblue have gone to it many times, but Lu, or anyone who may read this in the future, I hope you'll have an opportunity someday to visit and take it in. It's consistently rated one of the best fairs in the nation (I didn't even know, but there is an association of fairs and expositions that judges the events themselves!).

Located on the fairgrounds at Del Mar, home of the famous thoroughbred racetrack, our County fair was originally conceived as an agriculturally-based exhibition of our region's rich diversity, which has grown vastly over the decades. To an outsider, San Diego County is generally viewed as tourist-based, with miles of beautiful beaches, but many people don't know these facts about our area:

1. Nationally, it is the 12th largest farm economy in the U.S., with a $5.1 billion annual value.

2. It is in the top two counties in the U.S. in production of at least six different crops.

3. It is #2 in the nation in farms with women as principal operator.

One of the biggest draws at the fair each year is the Flower & Garden Show, a competitive exhibit that includes 5,000 bloom specimens exhibited by 45 nurseries and landscape design companies. San Diego County is also the No. 1 region in the country in nursery products.

There's a new fair theme each year, based on some aspect of our local culture, which in recent years has included "Summer of Sports", celebrating the many great athletes this area has produced. This year, the theme centers around California's car culture, the history of "cruising", and included a mega-exhibit of classic automobiles from the '30s, '40s and '50s.

There's a wide variety of things to see and do at the fair every year. Sure, there are other exhibits I come to the fair for--the floral show mentioned above; the "City of the Military" showcase; the Mariachi contests; the Reggae Festival; the animals (furry and otherwise); the wine-tasting; the tequila competition; the pig races. There's even an exhibit promoting the "Camel Dairy", the only one of its kind in the U.S., which is located in northern San Diego County.

And, in Del Mar, you certainly could not ask for a more scenic venue. On the site of one of the premiere thoroughbred racetracks in the country--"Where the Turf Meets the Surf", as the ads go--the fairgrounds boast a great location. Ride the Ferris wheel on the midway, and from the top you'll see the vast Pacific just a few feet to the west, and the agricultural valleys with the mountains beyond, in the other direction.

We've also been a leader among fairs and festivals nationwide in implementing "green" policies. The "Clean Oceans" promotion on the fairgrounds site, which is immediately adjacent to the ocean in Del Mar, complements that, as does the EnviroFair.

Back to my collection:

My Dodgers library includes close to 75 books, and I've added a couple since last June; there were many commemorative Duke Snider items (local full-page ads following his death, as well as "Memories and Dreams" honoring his legacy); other items include the current Dodgers yearbook; a new Koufax lithograph from Mike Brown of the LFP blog which I received for Christmas; a photo tribute to Dre's recent 30-game hitting streak; a 1988 World Series yearbook which I bought from a memorabilia collector at last year's All-Star FanFest; a special commemorative Jackie Robinson baseball; and various other miscellaneous odds and ends acquired over the past year.

One new item that I have really valued for its one-of-a-kind status is the bumper sticker GilHodgesFan sent me, promoting Gil Hodges for the Hall of Fame, and which is part of the collection this year. Thank you, Lu!

I'll see if I can get a photo up of this year's display, although I didn't personally take one. Friends often do that for me, though.

One more thing:

There are several sets of display cases set up around the room, with four adjacent collections on display in each case. I have never understood why the sports division collections are not set up in the same cases, and why other collections are scattered around the room, but every year I take note of which other San Diego collectors have their items displayed near mine. Each entrant is typically awarded two shelves of display case space in which to arrange their collection items. One year, there was a collection of Beatrix Potter items directly above all my Dodger memorabilia. I found that to be slightly amusing. This year, there was a Disney collection with several Mickey Mouse items prominently on display to the right of mine, and a collection of rare tequila bottles on the two shelves above mine.

What kind of message does that send to my Bums--surrounded by Mickey Mouse and tequila?

One represents quality of the ownership, the other being necessary for the sanity of the fans. Mad Confused Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 6/25/11 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fair sounds amazing!! I hope you can post a photo or two of your Dodgers display. I was very impressed with your Dodger Christmas tree and know that is also an annual "tradition" for you. I am so grateful to you for keeping the Brooklyn Dodgers heritage alive in peoples memories as well as celebrating the LA Dodgers Smile

I am happy that the Gil Hodges bumpersticker was part of your display to keep Gil's name out there. I know you of all people know how I feel about Gil and to some extent share my sentiments about him.

I would have enjoyed the classic cars as I am a fan of the 50's Smile Thank you for filling me in on the fair. It sounds wonderful and alot of fun!!!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/26/11 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw it on Friday! It looked very nice. We may go back to see the Beach Boys play this week, but I'm not sure.

My cousin used to display her seashell collection there back in the 1970s when she was a little girl. She won a couple of blue ribbons, too.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 6/28/11 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fair was great! Danny got a picture on his cell phone and should have sent it to you by now. I don't know why you didn't win this year. Every year it seems fresh and different from the year before.

Did you know about the jalapeno eating contest there? Shocked
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/29/11 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnyblue:

Quote:
Every year it seems fresh and different from the year before.

Yes, it does, but at the same time, I enjoy its cherished traditions, too, which remind me of my family and growing up, and all the times I attended it over the last 50 years. Going to the fair is much like going to a Dodgers game, in that sense--fresh and different each time, but also familiar and sentimental in a very comforting way. Smile

As for the pic, I did receive it! Thank you. Smile The problem is I don't have email access on my cell phone so I have to figure out a way to get it to my email. I'll ask him to send it to me that way so I can download it and link it, and then post it.

I didn't check out the jalapeno eating contest! I love them, but even I have a limit, I think! Surprised

GilHodgesFan:

Quote:
The fair sounds amazing!! I hope you can post a photo or two of your Dodgers display. I was very impressed with your Dodger Christmas tree and know that is also an annual "tradition" for you. I am so grateful to you for keeping the Brooklyn Dodgers heritage alive in peoples memories as well as celebrating the LA Dodgers

I am happy that the Gil Hodges bumpersticker was part of your display to keep Gil's name out there. I know you of all people know how I feel about Gil and to some extent share my sentiments about him.

I feel very honored to have that bumper sticker and I know that sentiment means a lot to many people! So thank you again! Very Happy

I am more than happy to promote Dodger tradition including their Brooklyn legacy, which must be kept alive. I am cringing thinking about people wandering through the Home and Hobby exhibits, viewing my display, seeing memorabilia from a team with such a long and rich heritage, and all the while thinking about what the Dodgers are going through this week. It's so sad. Sad I am saving headlines from this week's newspapers for posterity--they are a part of Dodgers history that can't be ignored, no matter how much we want to--although I really don't want to include them in next year's exhibit! Hopefully, I can include headlines announcing that the team has been sold to a decent owner.

By the way, none of you were on the board when I mentioned this about five years ago, so I'll post this again:

One of my most treasured pieces of memorabilia is one that I can't display at the fair because of its size. It's my prized original seat from the reserved level of Dodger Stadium, which was purchased for me by my family when the seats were replaced in 2006. I cherish that seat so much--it's more than just a blue chair; it's a blue chair from my home away from home!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 6/29/11 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a treasured keepsake! Smile You can have Dodger Stadium with you at home Very Happy

Unfortunately this McCourt mess will be a part of Dodger history but I have a feeling this will eventually go down in Dodger history as showing how the team perservered.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/28/12 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rest of the story I began posting about in another thread, about collectible items a friend of mine picked up for me.

One was a rare 1960s record album of Dodgers songs and commentary by Vinnie. I now have to borrow my sister's phonograph to hear it, LOL. It's in mint condition. I couldn't believe it when my friend told me how much she talked the guy down to in order for her to buy it. One of the songs included was Jimmy Durante's "Dandy Sandy"--a long-time favorite of mine.

The other was absolutely classic--a 1988 Game 1 World Series ticket. For those who may not recall, of the 16 World Series games I've attended in my life, that was one I actually missed being at. So, I've had several World Series ticket stubs of my own. I mean, we all cherish our memories of our first, or most recent, World Series and the great moments we've experienced live.

But, some here might remember the story I told about my friend at church who still has her ticket from that Game 1, 1988 and treasures it as a prized item not just because of her personal memory, but also her seat location and the game's historic value in the annals of baseball history--something I'd salivate over.

So, back to last weekend, Andrea also happened to notice that the same man had a World Series ticket package, complete with an authentic souvenir of that evening's festivities, for sale. She bargained him down on that, too, and when she presented it to me, I absolutely busted up: the ticket was presented complete with the Dodger Stadium parking pass, and attached was a 1988-era (authenticity verified by my memory!) "two-bagger" bag of peanuts! I don't dare break that wrapper to determine whether the 24-year old ballpark snack is in mint condition!

Move over, Roger! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 1/28/12 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got some great bargains Smile The WS ticket you were missing and a Dodgers album with Vin on it. How exciting Exclamation What songs are on the album with the Koufax song? It's always fun to add something else to the collection isn't it? I've added a couple of Gil Hodges pieces to my collection recently.

I don't have a record player either and I have a Gil Hodges record called "How to Play Baseball: A Personal Instruction Recording by Gil Hodges of the Brooklyn Dodgers" that I would love to hear.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/28/12 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check. It's in my storage space right now. It's a rare album of which only a limited amount were produced.

The World Series ticket will never match my friend's ticket, but it's the next best thing. It's less about that than it is about the peanuts. That adds such character to the find!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: