Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Prized Collections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 1/28/12 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great find by your friend for you. What luck Exclamation Very Happy

Good point about the peanuts adding character. That is certainly not something every Dodger fan will have. A very nice piece to add to your Dodgers exhibit Very Happy
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 1/28/12 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so excited for you that you got those things! It's good someone was in the right place at the right time.

Quote:
Move over, Roger! Very Happy

haha that's a good one. Another thing for Gil Hodges fan to add to her list of things to see & do.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/25/12 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the span of less than 60 seconds, I was able to search for, copy from another thread, and paste from that one into this one.

Here is GilHodgesFan's collection! A nice one, if I do say so myself!--although the Dodgers bobblehead of him looks much better. It's also rarer since it was never issued at the gate.

She posted:

Quote:
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Jpochard shared photos of her fantastic Reds room and asked others to share photos of their baseball area. Mine is a corner in the lower level req room of which I already posted but will post now in the correct thread (I hope!)

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 6/7/14 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/12 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for helping me with the re-posting of these Smile I will have to look for the Gil Hodges Dodgers bobble-head. I didn't even know one existed. The Mets bobble-head was given out at a Brooklyn Cyclones minor league game.

Thanks again for all your help Linda!!! Very Happy Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/14/12 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
haha that's a good one. Another thing for Gil Hodges fan to add to her list of things to see & do.

Sunnyblue,

I was just looking for this thread so I could catch up on some offseason posting and noticed this comment. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's yet another thing on the list that GilHodgesFan did not do. Sad

Now--the reason I wanted to bump this one today was to make mention of my memorabilia collection being back in the winners' circle at the County Fair at Del Mar this summer! It's something I never really got around to posting because I was so busy at that time dealing with GilHodgesFan's trip plans.

The exhibit only won a second place ribbon, so getting back to winning the cherished blue ribbon again is still my goal. This year's theme for my display was the 50th anniversary of Dodger Stadium.

There was a photo of it on the fair's website, so I'm going to find it (if it's still there) and link it.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 7/1/13 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/14/12 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the way you featured Gil Hodges so prominently last year, and I am sure Gil Hodges Fan would feel the same way too! I know you have to use different items from year to year but your display was great the way it was arranged and so much better to see than just hearing about it! Congratulations.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/1/13 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the County fair wraps up this week, I wanted to make mention that this year brought only a third place ribbon Sad but a prize, nonetheless.

I have to say that as I packed up my items from my storage space to determine what to display, I simply wasn't in quite the same mood as I usually am when preparing to make my annual haul to Del Mar on the first weekend of June. Sure, I'm a little giddy no matter what about what my angle will be, what new items I have that will bring something new to the table (or display case).

But the way the Dodgers had been playing on June 1, I wasn't too happy with the "whole new blue" concept, although that logo was stamped on plenty of my recent acquisitions. What, pray tell, would the judges think? I could see and hear Padres and Angels fans in my nightmares (as if the Dodgers' results at the time weren't bringing me enough nightmares!), poking fun at the last place Dodgers and their "mismo azul."

But then, milagros. The Dodgers got hot. I'll feel a bit better, I'm sure, as I drive north to pick everything up after the exposition's 26-day run comes to an end.

I focused on the "42" theme this year, what with the movie drawing so many accolades, and Jackie Robinson's part in Dodger history. Unfortunately, in my disorganization between multiple memorial services AND housesitting stints, I misplaced some of my recent 42-related items and was unable to display them. Hopefully I'll be able to recover them when things have settled down a bit.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 6/7/14 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 7/2/13 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What, pray tell, would the judges think? I could see and hear Padres and Angels fans in my nightmares

Oh my gosh that did give me a few laughs reading it. Funny how things changed for them after the set up was done.

I enjoyed viewing the new 42 items you had added as well as others. Our Dodger fan neighbor was impressed and even some other Padres fans had to tip their caps to you even if you did not win a first prize.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/6/14 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another year has gone by and once again, my collection is on display at the County Fair, which began its run today.

Of course, my most prized acquisition since last summer was the Vin bobblehead from last summer--my favorite bobblehead of all-time. Handling it with great care, I removed it from its box set it up and it is ensconced among my other items on a shelf in the Home/Hobby Department on the second floor of the competitive exhibits building.

This year's Dodgers yearbook, with Vin's portrait on the cover, last year's magazine covers commemorating YP's debut, and other assorted knick-knacks I've picked up here or there over the past year, were also included--not to mention the headlines from the L.A. Times just two weeks ago following Josh's no-hitter.

Perhaps I should have brought some of the "Live. Breathe. Blue"-themed items because, after all, I am hoping for another blue ribbon. Wink

I chuckled a bit to myself as I read my post from early July last year, as the fair was concluding:

Quote:
I have to say that as I packed up my items from my storage space to determine what to display, I simply wasn't in quite the same mood as I usually am when preparing to make my annual haul to Del Mar on the first weekend of June. Sure, I'm a little giddy no matter what about what my angle will be, what new items I have that will bring something new to the table (or display case).

But the way the Dodgers had been playing on June 1, I wasn't too happy with the "whole new blue" concept, although that logo was stamped on plenty of my recent acquisitions. What, pray tell, would the judges think? I could see and hear Padres and Angels fans in my nightmares (as if the Dodgers' results at the time weren't bringing me enough nightmares!), poking fun at the last place Dodgers and their "mismo azul."

But then, milagros. The Dodgers got hot. I'll feel a bit better, I'm sure, as I drive north to pick everything up after the exposition's 26-day run comes to an end.

See, all it took was the fair getting underway and suddenly, those Bums started winning. And they kept that up throughout the summer.

Let's do it again! Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/7/14 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Wink We will probably not be going for a couple of weeks.

Good luck Linda! (The collection, not your team.) Razz
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/17/14 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third place. Sad Oh, well!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 6/17/14 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still a ribbon and award! Congratulations.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/21/14 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I went to the fair yesterday, and noticed a nice collection of Jerry Coleman memorabilia. Tip of my cap to that one.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/23/14 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw it too. It brought tears to my eyes! Crying or Very sad Oh, the memories. Can you imagine next year, I am betting there will be lots of tributes to #19.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/5/15 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the San Diego County Fair starts its annual run today! My exhibit is scaled back a bit this year, so I'm not expecting any awards. That's okay, though. I had fewer items available to display and I tried something different, but I just didn't feel like knocking myself out for a second place ribbon as has been the case the last couple of years.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/7/15 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Laughing

You never know, you may be surprised.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/27/15 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now that I've actually attended the fair and seen it myself, you're right, Cathy--I am surprised. I won a second place ribbon.

On the one hand, second place--ehhh, I've been through that several times over the last few years.

On the other hand, second place when I didn't put as much effort into the display this year is more than I expected.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/28/15 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, congratulations! We will check it out when we are there later in the week, probably Friday. I will be in Phoenix part of the week on business, and your Dodgers will be there at the same time. Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 7/6/15 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we went to the Fair yesterday, and I'm glad that we didn't switch days and go to the Dodger game yesterday and the Fair on Saturday which was what we were discussing. My brother said he would rather deal with crowds at the baseball game where you at least have a seat, on the 4th than fight the mess at Del Mar then. So, we went on the 5th instead and while it was busy since it was the last day, not as bad as the day before. Anyway great job as usual, Linda - the collection looked very good!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/7/15 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I do have some photos to link for posting later. Smile

And just like that, it is all packed back up and being put back in storage for another year.

But I haven't spent my big fat reward check, yet. LOL! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/31/15 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told myself earlier that I would post the picture before the end of the year. I know, it's a cell phone image, but it's better than nothing.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 6/19/16 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/29/16 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the weekend, Linda? I think you did say it was around Memorial Day when you would be setting up your display. I am looking forward to seeing it again.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/29/16 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was it! Judging was to have taken place today.

And guess what? I got a marriage proposal out of it, LOL. The volunteer set-up man (age somewhere in mid-60s to 70) who led me to my display case noticed all the Dodger memorabilia I was unloading. I was bracing myself for the typical comments I get, but instead he said, "You're a Dodger fan? Are you married?" I said no, and he said, "Well, I think I want to marry you, I have loved the Dodgers all my life." We talked for awhile about the different items. He says he has a few of them but nowhere near what I have in my collection. I explained to him, since he is a new volunteer in Home/Hobby, that I enter it every year (this being my 15th).

I was happy to have the Nancy Bea bobblehead set up alongside Vin and Jaime's. I posted a tribute to both Vin and Nancy, being as it is that she has retired and Vin will soon. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/30/16 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds great. Lol, I am available as a wedding planner if you need one. Laughing I know I would not even have to ask you what the accent colors would be!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 6/17/16 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol DB! How did your exhibit do in the competition? Mi familia will be going to the fair this coming week. Danny & I are staying in Carlsbad all weekend and leaving in the middle of the week next week. So I look forward to it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/17/16 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know yet! Haven't heard, and haven't been there myself yet.

Here's a preview:

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/31/17 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You knew this one was coming!

Not only did I traipse up to Del Mar last weekend for the set-up, I just realized I never posted an update on last year's display!

Sadly, 2016 was the first year, of all 15 I've entered, in which I did not win an award of any sort. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 6/2/17 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Linda. I hope the judges were wise this time! I noticed the fair its run today. This is the earlier I can ever remember it starting.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 6/4/17 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you all the best this time, DB. Bet there is a lot of Scully related stuff in it!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/24/17 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is, of course, and of course it was very bittersweet for me as I set it up. Crying or Very sad

Well, I just learned that I won a third place ribbon--and while that was not my goal, at least it's better than nothing, so it's an improvement. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: