Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Training - 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/22/19 10:49 pm    Post subject: Winter Training - 2019 Reply with quote

Posting this for you, Cath. Smile

For me, personally, I have three or four areas of focus/concern, and all involve injuries in some way:

1. Does Corey Seager return from his season on the DL healthy and ready to contribute again?

2. Is CK okay? He was shut down "indefinitely" today and rumors are that he is throwing in pain again.

3. Does Julio Urias return from TG surgery healthy and ready to contribute again? We've seen glimpses of what he could be in his brief major league career thus far. Will he start, relieve, or both?

4. Is KJ healthy and will he be back to normal in the closer's role?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 2/25/19 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 3 days into Cactus League play and there is already concern about Clayton! PMS said today he didn't feel good throwing again today. Like you I am concerned the Dodgers are shutting him down again. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/26/19 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I guess my fifth question (added to that list) would be, is CK on track for Opening Day? It's just a month away. Will he get an MRI? They're saying no now, but wouldn't it be better to just to be safe? Obviously I'm no sports medicine expert, but I have to wonder.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again...last season, Walker stepped up when he had to, and now it will be up to him again to continue as the ace-in-waiting.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 2/27/19 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/26/19 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of hoopla in Arizona just over the last few days.

Weather was cold for Arizona and worse than it was leaving San Diego behind. 51 degrees for a daytime game! But, we got to see the Padres open up the preseason with a win over the Mariners (their Peoria rivals), 6-4. It was good to see Ty France out there at third base, and also Travis Jankowski getting a hit and out there playing CF - maybe he will be able to show Manny how to hustle! Surprised My husband pointed out to me that Manny Margot will now have to be Manny in the background, Lol. Shall I call him MITB here - Laughing

The media crush was looking pretty crazy because everyone had questions about Manny (Machado of course). My sons got a few autographs. I got to say hi to Austin, even though he did not play. He smiled and waved back. Fernando Tatis Jr. got to play the next day and so far, he has been looking pretty good - had his first Cactus League homer today when they beat the Brewers, and Austin homered too so I guess I should have been there for that one!

Looks like the wildflower bloom is going to be just beautiful when we go back again in a couple of weeks. Already I am looking forward to that.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/19 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sure it will! I'm glad you enjoyed your brief trip.

Meanwhile, Brad Ausmus is overseeing his first camp as manager of the Angels.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/28/19 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe you could add another question, where is Keibert Ruiz going to end up this year?
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/1/19 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flashback to long ago days on this forum, even before I was on it.

Linda had sent me a link at this time last year about Brian Giles and I did not get around to reading it until now - it was in my preseason stuff file. The link is from 2005! This is the thread

I have to say I really did Lol! Laughing
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/1/19 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Jacob Nix will face the Dodgers tonight. He had a sharp first outing last week.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/4/19 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw Manny made his Padres debut on Saturday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/6/19 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you who has been blazing hot since these games started, is Francisco Mejia. The rap on him from before was, he has to work on cutting down on strikeouts, but he has been making a lot of contact so far. If he ends up splitting playing time and catching with Austin, he has an advantage because he is a switch hitter.

The bad news out of Padres camp is that Travis Jankowski has broken his wrist and will miss 3 months. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/10/19 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember to not set your clocks forward if you're attending Padres games this weekend!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/11/19 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good reminder, but we will not be back until probably next weekend.

A couple of things I wanted to mention - article from UT about Greg Garcia coming home and Fernando Tatis Jr. missed some time this weekend due to wisdom teeth removed. He has been a joy to watch so far.

Also - righty Chris Paddack is in the running for starting on Opening Day. He has been great so far, but this would be his first major league start! It would be historic for sure so I am just following along with hopes that he stays on track.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/12/19 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, here's another comeback story--Cubs southpaw Luke Hagerty trying to make the team 17 years after he was drafted by Chicago, and 13 years after throwing his last pitch.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 3/15/19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasiel had his first game at CBRG as a member of a visiting team, yesterday, when the Dodgers beat the Reds. We will be going over early next week.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/16/19 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got to see my Padres beat the Angels at Tempe Diablo on Wednesday, 9-3 Sorry to say but the next day's game was about as bad as you can get for a Padre fan when the Dodgers won 12-0 (back at Peoria). Robbie Erlin started that game (pitched 3 innings) and he really got knocked around. We drove home the next day.

It is safe to say Luis Perdomo will not be in the rotation this year! He has a 10.80 ERA. Mad

Oh also - I got a hi, a nod and even a smile from Austin again. Very Happy By the way look who is at the top of the Cactus League standings - that would be my Padres! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/17/19 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they've played pretty well! The Dodgers have been right there nipping at their heels, though. And soon it starts for real.

One thing that is nearly a certainty by now--CK will not be ready for Opening Day. Rich Hill is warming up in the bullpen for that prestigious role.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course like you say it does not mean anything now but it is encouraging to see some of Andy Green's experiments going well. The Padres & Dodgers are going strong at over .500 and the Angels are 11-11 at .500. I took a quick peek at the Grapefruit League standings and noticed the Red Sox are in last place. I am still sure they will not lose any of their edge from being world champions though.

I was surprised you mentioned Hill - it seems like Buehler would be next in line to start Opening Day for your guys.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Walker isn't quite ready yet. Perhaps Hill's experience is being relied on?

In any case, it'll be the first game he starts in Dodger Stadium since the dreaded Game 6 of last year's World Series that involved his controversial early pull.

I've got to give credit to (our) Austin--behind the plate--while I'm thinking about it. He's had a very good pre-season. A mind-boggling stat I heard today was that he has 14 RBI to his credit just in these three weeks, while he managed that many in 100 games played last season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/21/19 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as the equinox arrived, we have just one week left until Opening Day.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: