Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball's Black Eye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/20/13 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I said before - people are going to believe what they want to believe even if they are eventually proven wrong.

I know you posted this almost two weeks ago, but hold onto your hat because your boy Everth is on one of their lists now. With his numbers, you have to wonder what kind of effect PEDs would have had. Padres reliever Faustino De Los Santos is also named.

But at the same time Gio Gonzalez, whose name was already sullied, was cleared. How many people didn't believe him?

Let MLB do their damn investigation. If these guys are guilty, then let the penalty phase begin afterward. They should have already done this before names started being leaked. There is inherent danger in much of this.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/21/13 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

Quote:
Let MLB do their damn investigation. If these guys are guilty, then let the penalty phase begin afterward. They should have already done this before names started being leaked. There is inherent danger in much of this.

I know, I know! Apparently that news broke around the same time I was last posting. I heard about it just minutes afterward.

Here is an article from padres.com in which they say they are confident his name will be cleared.

I agree with you! I am tired of the court of public opinion connecting point A to point B without knowing all the details. I guess I will wait to hear more as this story gives more details. Mostly - like I said before - people decide they are guilty or not, based on whether they liked the player to begin with.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/13 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tougher penalties for PED use are under consideration with many players calling for longer suspensions.

For the rush to judgement types out there, here are some of Michael Weiner's comments, from MLB.com:

Quote:
"We've had a good discussion about whether that's fair to treat players who make a negligent mistake the same as players who intentionally try to beat the system, whether or not 50 games for a first time is sufficient, and we'll discuss that over the course of 2013."

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/22/13 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about the Biogenesis probe...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/22/13 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now MLB is filing suit against Biogenesis partners.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/13/13 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be an uglier side to the Biogenesis story involving A-Rod.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/30/13 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm way behind on updating this thread.

An associate of Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano was linked to Biogenesis, as well.

And a very important corroboration--in Ryan Braun's defense--by Anthony Bosch, former head of that company.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
In an interview with ESPN, Bosch corroborated what Braun said in a February statement, that Braun's lawyers merely consulted with Bosch during a successful appeal of a suspension during the 2011-12 offseason. "I just answered a few questions from his legal team, not from Braun or any other ballplayer," Bosch told ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

The Miami New Times broke the Biogenesis story in January, reporting that Bosch had provided banned substances to a number of baseball players including the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez. Braun was not in the initial report, but several weeks later Yahoo Sports published what it said was an excerpt of Bosch's notes with Braun referenced three times, once with his initials next to "20-30K." After that report, Braun issued a statement saying he had "nothing to hide."

"During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant," Braun said. "More specifically, he answered questions about T/E [testosterone to epitestosterone] ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples.

"There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch's work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under 'moneys owed' and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/1/13 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see - I am not even protecting him because he is one of my players - but I actually believed him on this too. Even though he had an innocent explanation which it seems was true all along - the court of public opinion is always going to convict him I guess! Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/5/13 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for this issue to rear its ugly head again. Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/6/13 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting so heartsick about this. As you know I was relieved earlier when it looked like the charges against Everth were going to amount to nothing but now they are talking about really putting some teeth into the punishment. I keep waiting for good news (cautiously!).
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/10/13 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Cathy. But, to take the heat off your boys, how about this: A-Rod will "comment when appropriate." Rolling Eyes

Hmmm...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/10/13 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things could be getting ugly soon! Let's see what happens just after the ASG, when suspensions are expected to take place.

Here's one from MLB.com about Ryan Braun...being uncooperative with MLB officials. Makes you wonder, in light of Biogenesis backing his story, just what's up here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/13 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was not sure what to make of this either. Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/17/13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's supposed to be some big news comin' down today or sometime soon, before post-break play gets underway.

Just prior to the break, the Sunday L.A. Times Baseball report included the following article:

"Specter of Drug Use Hovers Over the All-Star Game"

After the midsummer celebration is over, the process of suspending some stars for using performance-enhancing drugs will resume.

By Kevin Baxter

July 13, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

Enjoy the All-Star Game.

Because when Tuesday's celebration of baseball's superstars is over, the process of suspending some of those same players for drug use will resume. It figures to be a slow, painful ordeal — one that could disrupt the pennant races, has already reopened old wounds between baseball and the powerful players' union, will lead to months if not years of litigation and drag the sport's long-tarnished reputation through the mud once again.

It's an ordeal that will end some careers, ruin others and indelibly mark the legacy of Commissioner Bud Selig. But it's also one that cannot be avoided if baseball has any hope of truly washing away the stain of performance- enhancing drugs.

The latest chapter in the long-running saga began in January when Miami New Times reported it had received documents from a shuttered anti-aging clinic in South Florida that purported to show as many as 20 major league players — among them All-Stars Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and Nelson Cruz — had either received or paid for PEDs.

The investigation picked up steam last month when Tony Bosch, former director of the Biogenesis clinic, agreed to cooperate with baseball officials, confirming and even expanding on information contained in the documents. In the last two weeks, some of those same officials have reportedly met with Braun, Rodriguez and other players named in the report, although many of the players are said to have refused to answer questions.

That hasn't played well in the Commissioner's office, where, according to ESPN, Selig is considering suspending some players for as many as 100 games. Under the drug protocol baseball hammered out with its union, 100-game suspensions can be levied only after a second offense. Players such as Braun and Rodriguez, though previously linked to PED use, have never been penalized.

But ESPN, citing unnamed sources, reported that the Commissioner is prepared to argue that if the players received drugs from Bosch, then lied about it, that would constitute two offenses. The players' union would certainly challenge that thinking, which would once again take baseball's focus off the field and into the courtroom.

But the Commissioner really has no choice, because drug use is again on the rise in baseball. In 2007, the year the Mitchell Report on the use of PEDs in baseball tied 89 major leaguers to illicit drugs, just 38 major and minor league players received suspensions. Last year three times as many players tested positive, with All-Star game MVP Melky Cabrera among the eight big leaguers suspended.

"That's the flip side of the coin of anti-doping in sport. Where sport tries to do it, to do it right they necessarily have to expose those that may be cheating," said Travis Tygart, chief executive of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). "It might be some of the biggest celebrities and heroes that kids and fans around the world celebrate. And that's opposed to the interests that sport has."

Selig, who could begin announcing suspensions before the end of July, certainly deserves credit for so publicly airing the latest hamper full of his sport's dirty laundry — especially since it figures to damage his legacy, something the Commissioner, with 18 months left to serve, is known to take seriously.

Or maybe, as Tygart believes, this will burnish Selig's reputation. Although he was something of an enabler — or at least an agnostic — on the steroid issue early in his career as Commissioner, banishing the likes of A-Rod and Braun as he heads out the door could cast him as a no-nonsense anti-steroid crusader.

"While the headlines may not be the best in the short term for baseball, at the end of the day athletes, and hopefully the long-term value of a sport … meets the promise that it has, which is a game played by a set of rules that all the competitors agreed to," Tygart said. "You can absolutely shift the culture."

If the number of players reportedly tied to the Biogenesis clinic is anywhere close to accurate, it would be the largest PED-related scandal in U.S. professional sports history. The guess here is that far more than 20 players will be caught up in this before the investigation is over.

So enjoy the All-Star game. Because things will probably get really ugly when it's over.

kevin.baxter@latimes.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(By the way, I didn't enjoy it.) Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/23/13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they teased us long enough about it, and this is what they get.

Brewers slugger Ryan Braun has been suspended for the remainder of the season.

So many unanswered questions! How does this play into the fact that Biogenesis confirmed his alibi? How did he think he wasn't going to get caught if he had already been using PEDs and failed a test? I don't get it. I'm not satisfied with suspensions; I want answers. I was one of the people who advocated "innocent until guilty."

And I wonder if he is just the first in a line of dominoes.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 7/24/13 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 7/23/13 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - that is all anyone was able to talk about as we are playing in Milwaukee now! I too am wondering the next shoe to drop and hoping it's not from a Padre's foot!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/26/13 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could talk all week about this, and I've been trying all week to get back to post more about the reaction to Ryan Braun's suspension.

From the Dodgers, both Bison and Schu have called him out on it with harsh criticism.

More than anything, the L.A. Times has all angles covered.

First, from Bill Shaikin (one of my favorite Times writers)--and how many interesting issues does this raise that I haven't read in most articles about the situation?:

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

"Ryan Braun Makes Best of Bad Situation by Accepting Suspension"

Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun is suspended for 65 games for multiple violations of baseball's drug policy. The damage is done, but it could have been worse.

By Bill Shaikin

July 22, 2013, 8:10 p.m.

In the end, Ryan Braun cut himself a pretty good deal.

So he's tainted now, as a baseball player who used performance-enhancing substances? He's been tainted for two years. Nothing new there.

His thumb is injured. He's getting married in the fall. His team is done for the year.

Now, so is he. On Monday, Braun accepted a 65-game suspension for multiple violations of baseball's drug policy. He can enjoy his honeymoon without worrying about an appeal hearing. He can start fresh next spring, and so can his Milwaukee Brewers. He saved himself a few hundred thousand bucks — his salary goes up next year, so the per-game cost of a suspension would have gone up too.

He even got Major League Baseball to suspend him without saying why. The two-sentence announcement of his suspension cites "violations" but does not say what they are. The words "performance-enhancing substances" are nowhere to be found, let alone the names of any of those substances.

Why did Bud Selig and his lieutenants agree to the deal? They got Braun — they had been gunning for him since he successfully appealed a PED-related suspension last year — and they got him for more than 50 games.

It was the Braun people, not the Selig people, who engineered this deal. MLB had revealed its evidence to Braun but had yet to propose the length of a suspension. Braun's people had to hurry, because the concept of accepting a suspension for the balance of the season would become less attractive to MLB with each passing day.

The standard punishment for first-time offenders is 50 games. Selig believed the evidence warranted more. He was determined to exact more.

If the Braun people waited for a notice of charges from MLB, the season might not have had 50 games left, or not many more than 50. At that point, broaching the notion of banning Braun for the balance of the season — with no punishment extending into next season — would have been a nonstarter for Selig.

But here is what MLB really got out of this deal: a warning shot fired at the other players — more than a dozen, probably — implicated in the Biogenesis scandal. Braun took on MLB and won last year, then spit in the face of the league. If Braun and his people saw any way to beat MLB this time, you can bet they would have tried.

Selig and his people had Braun nailed on failing to disclose his interactions with Biogenesis chief Tony Bosch, then lying about them. They also had Braun nailed on using performance-enhancing substances — not just based on one disputed urine sample, but on receipts, records and all the evidence money could buy. Not the most pure of prosecutions, perhaps, but demonstrably effective to the Braun camp.

That should tell Alex Rodriguez something, and that is not "deny and fight." In January, when Miami New Times broke the story of Bosch and Biogenesis, the newspaper reported at least 16 references to Rodriguez in clinic records now essentially validated by the Braun camp.

Selig probably would not be satisfied with 65 games for Rodriguez. But Rodriguez ought to consider taking a suspension split between the end of this season and the start of next one, so he could more fully rehabilitate his injuries and return to the New York Yankees' lineup by Memorial Day. If not, he could end up losing most of this season and most of next season too. The Yankees might want that, but Rodriguez does not have to play along.

Braun told so many lies along the way, not just declaring his innocence but assassinating the character of a urine collector and proclaiming the MLB drug protocol "fatally flawed," that the instant analysis Wednesday trended along the lines of how he will be forever shamed and scarred.

Nonsense. Mark McGwire works for the Dodgers. Manny Ramirez is one step away from a return to the major leagues. Braun won't be getting into Cooperstown — not that he was any kind of lock anyway — but he won't be asked to give back the 2011 National League MVP award, or give it to runner-up Matt Kemp of the Dodgers. And Braun will be getting a guaranteed $127 million from the Brewers through 2020. Even Richard Nixon rehabilitated his image in seven years.

It would be nice if Braun apologized, in person and not in a statement crafted for him, in words not as embarrassingly passive as the "apologize to anyone I may have offended" phrase included in Monday's announcement.

But it was Braun who said five months ago he had "nothing to hide," and now it is Braun who can take the rest of the season and do nothing but hide.

bill.shaikin@latimes.com

Next, from Eric Sondheimer:

"Local Reaction to Ryan Braun's Suspension by Major League Baseball"

By Eric Sondheimer

July 22, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

Ryan Braun's former high school baseball coach at Granada Hills, Steve Thompson, said Monday he was "disappointed he did do it," referring to Braun's acknowledgment he had violated Major League Baseball's basic agreement and its joint drug prevention and treatment program.

Braun, who plays for the Milwaukee Brewers, has been suspended for the rest of the season without pay.

Thompson added, "Acknowledging he did something wrong is a good thing. He's hurt his image and now he's going to have to repair it."

Thompson supported Braun more than a year ago when the former National League MVP won an appeal over testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. Despite the turnabout, Thompson said, "I support him in his efforts to move forward."

High school players, however, expressed skepticism Monday with the latest twist in baseball's crackdown on performance-enhancing drugs.

Jack Flaherty of Studio City Harvard-Westlake, last season's Southern Section Division 1 player of the year, said, "Obviously it's disappointing someone like Ryan Braun did abuse the drug policy, because there's so many who did it the right way. It just makes you think who might else be doing it."

Austin Dudley, a catcher at Granada Hills, said, "I'm happy he's taking his punishment. It shows they're not afraid to go after anyone no matter who it is."

Austin White, a junior first baseman at Reseda Cleveland who played at Dodger Stadium in last season's City Section championship game, said, "The whole situation is disappointing because he was such an influential player people looked up to. It's sad to see he cheated. I think what baseball is doing is right. If anything, it should have happened sooner."

Last, there's this from MLB.com: Ex-Biogenesis employee speaks.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/28/13 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the way I feel - what Braun did (whatever it was - since it has not been named) - was wrong enough since he admitted mistakes and this was the second time he was accused. I still want to know more details about what happened. But I have been hearing people say he should be banned for "life" - and why? Your own team's fans did not call for Manny to be banned for "life" and he is now very close to making a return to the Major Leagues. I wonder how he will be accepted when you think of this backlash against Braun? And don't get me started on A-Rod and all his issues (of which PEDs is just one thing). In fact I remember when Manny came back from his suspension it seems Dodger fans welcomed him with open arms. I do not make excuses for any of these guys whether they are on my team or not. I know from us having a big fan favorite who was later found to be using PEDs, it was a big conflict of emotions for me.

And as I said - I am still waiting for the other "cleat" to drop. They are really dragging things out. Maybe for ratings (Lol)
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/1/13 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's coming down soon...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/2/13 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really keeping me on edge. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/4/13 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems all the speculation is on ARod and how much he could lose...and that's going to be the big story when the news comes down (expected to be tomorrow).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/5/13 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No word yet on this but it is like pins & needles to me. Sad

Article from Union Tribune
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/5/13 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Cathy. I guess he's now as guilty as A-Rod and others, according to the MLB.com report (although the report cites a USA Today article--whatever!).

From the above-linked:

Quote:
Rodriguez will be the only one suspended beyond the remainder of this season, according to USA Today. There have been multiple reports that MLB believes he deserves a harsher penalty, and has the evidence to demonstrate that he not only acquired performance-enhancing substances from Biogenesis but pointed other Major Leaguers toward the clinic and then obstructed its investigation into the matter.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/6/13 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't help much, but Everth seems very contrite.

From the Union-Tribune:

Quote:
Cabrera was arguably the Padres Most Valuable Player. When he went on the disabled list on June 18 with a left hamstring strain, Black said: “Cabrera is the one player we can’t afford to lose.” The Padres went 5-12 over the 17 games that Cabrera was on the disabled list.

“We’ve had a few days knowing this was coming,” said (Padres GM Josh) Byrnes. “We’re in support for MLB. It’s a tough issue. It’s close to home. The longer view is that this is good for baseball, it’s necessary. The issue is one of following the rules and being truthful. Denial is relevant here. I’m not sure if Cabby lied, we’ll know more in the next few days. I generally reserve judgment. We are not judge and jury.”

“We’re disappointed as an industry that this hasn’t completely stopped,” said Black of PEDs in baseball. “I think there might have been a time years ago that more players than we ever thought were playing around in this.

“Now the overwhelming majority of players want it stopped. They are upset.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/7/13 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Crying or Very sad I braced myself for the worst and I got it.

Here is how he addressed his teammates.

And what is this about ARod appealing - I hope he loses and gets the book thrown at him.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/9/13 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how the ARod drama plays out!

Meanwhile, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that one former Cardinal has alleged that another former Cardinal used PEDs. And not just any old Redbird, but AP.

This is something haters have wanted to hear for years!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/9/13 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard about this until now! I expect it will open a whole new can of worms and blow up the OC. With him on the DL I wonder if he will be in hiding or address it?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/10/13 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I expected, AP quickly denied the claims.

Actually, I tend to believe him.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/17/13 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miguel Tejada, really? The Royals infielder has been suspended for 105 games for use of Adderall.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/23/13 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Braun has finally come clean. Although I was one for advocating due process, I sure have lost a lot of respect for him; however, it's a step forward that he provided details rather than just leave things vague and subject to speculation (which is what people have been doing for the last couple of years, anyway).

Two other articles from the L.A. Times which I will be posting soon involve general issues regarding the PED controversy (unrelated to Braun).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: