Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball's Black Eye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/23/13 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still heartsick about Everth but with most people focused on ARod or Ryan Braun, at least Braun has said something apologetic, unlike ARod. It seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you do not say anything. If you say nothing then according to the fans, you are not only a cheater but a coward too. But, if you do say something, you are usually ridiculed because it is said too late or considered to be "forced" or "not sincere." In both of their cases (Everth & Ryan) I think they really were sincere. I wonder how either of them thought they could get away with it though. I can understand why your fans were upset about Braun winning MVP in 2011, but at the time rather than wait for the proof they were all over him without knowing for sure. That to me is wrong. I know you were not like that, Linda, but I did hear other Dodger fans say so.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/7/13 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has come a little bit too late if you ask me, lol.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/21/13 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP is suing Jack Clark for defamation over his comments about being a "juicer", no surprise! Article is here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/22/13 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, not surprising. Rolling Eyes
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/31/13 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't let the year 2013 end without a bump for this one.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/12/14 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm setting aside the A-Rod thread for now and posting here: the Yankees third baseman has been suspended for the 2014 season. Wow!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/14/14 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now he is suing to get that overturned! Can you believe this!

Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/11/14 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thankfully he has spared everyone the distraction and dropped all litigation. Rolling Eyes

From MLB.com:

Quote:
(Alex) Rodriguez will forfeit $22,131,147 of his 2014 base salary of $25 million. The '14 Major League season is defined as lasting 183 days, and with Rodriguez suspended for 162 games, he will be paid nearly $3 million for the remaining 21 days.

His contract calls for an additional $61 million in base salaries from '15-'17, and Rodriguez also received $3 million from the Yankees last month -- part of the signing bonus he got when he inked his current contract in '07.

...In his first public comments after Horowitz's ruling, Rodriguez spoke to reporters at the opening of a gym in Mexico City and seemed to suggest that he was preparing to sit out the 2014 campaign.

"I think that in the year 2014, the league could have done me a favor because I've played 20 years without a timeout," Rodriguez said in Spanish on Jan. 15, according to a video aired by ESPN. "I think 2014 will be a year to rest mentally and physically prepare myself for the future and begin a new chapter of my life."

Okay, enough! Exclamation

And speaking of dropped lawsuits, here's an update on Jack Clark vs. Albert Pujols:

Clark has issued a retraction; Pujols dropped the lawsuit.

See how simple that is?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/11/14 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if they will have a drama-free season now that A-Rod is giving up before spring? Question
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/5/14 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this really interesting - the article is 3 months old and although I have heard things here and there about it, I never actually read anything. It is about Ryan Braun making amends with the delivery guy he suggested tampered with his sample. Article from the N.Y. Post

I know he has been getting booed everywhere in Cactus League so far.

Also something from a couple of weeks ago that I did not post, was about the Mariners' Jesus Montero apologizing for his part in the Biogenesis scandal. Since the Ms and the Padres share a complex in Arizona this was talked about a lot when the teams were first reporting. Seems he is pretty remorseful. Article from mariners.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/25/14 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy, you have probably seen these articles in the Union-Tribune already, but for the record:

-Getting tough on PED users

-Moving past Biogenesis

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/26/14 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I hope we can for sure move beyond them! Sadly nothing surprises me anymore though. Sad I look to Everth to have a strong season.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/1/14 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to get around to posting this, but how about the new PED agreement? I think it's a win-win all around. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/25/14 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, in a week that's been not so good overall for the Padres, outfielder Cameron Maybin has been suspended for methamphetamine use.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/25/14 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Not much to say about this Embarassed but of course I am not happy. Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/13/14 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orioles first baseman Chris Davis has been suspended for amphetamine use, associated with Adderall. 25 games, taking it into the postseason; that's huge for them...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/5/14 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARod's confession - linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/3/15 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew we'd hear about a suspension of a major player before the season even begins? MLB has suspended Twins pitcher Ervin Santana for PED use. This is a guy who just signed the biggest contract in franchise history in the offseason, a four-year deal at $55 million. Oh well, at least they don't have to pay him all of it.
Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/2/15 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last week MLB suspended Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia for 162 games because he had a second positive PED test this season. That is pretty bad! Article from mlb.com linked here

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred is now saying while he is satisfied with the testing program he is also looking for ways to improve it. He made the comment, "I think our game is cleaner than it's ever been." I hope he is right. Article linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/1/16 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update coming!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/12/16 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally and figuratively, three strikes and you're out!

And this is a milestone in MLB history, too.

Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia has been permanently suspended from Major League Baseball after failing a third PED test.

That's a K he surely didn't want on his resume.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 2/13/16 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mind boggling how anyone could lose their last chance like that. But that is what a policy with teeth looks like. Remember how we did not have one for so long.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/3/16 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cathy, what do you think of Abraham Almonte now? The Indians outfielder has been suspended for 80 games after failing a PED test.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/7/16 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess someone was looking out for us! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/14/16 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates to come.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/1/16 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kam Loe has been suspended!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/25/16 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more updates for this one, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/29/16 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you couldn't ask for better timing. Shortly after driving in the winning run against his former team last night, Marlins shortstop Dee Gordon was suspended for violation of PED policy.

Dee seems contrite and claims he did so unknowingly. Even though he's no longer a Dodger, knowing the quality teammate that he is, I actually want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But some in the organization see the timing as suspicious.

From the L.A. Times:

"Dodgers Surprised by Ex-Teammate Dee Gordon's Drug Suspension, Upset with Timing of Announcement"

by Andy McCullough

Dee Gordon's last game without a tarnished reputation ended at 10:02 p.m. Thursday night. He had played a vital role for the Miami Marlins in a 5-2 defeat of his former Dodgers teammates. He delivered the game-tying hit and induced a balk to score another run.

Fifteen minutes after the game, Major League Baseball sent an email that overshadowed the events on the field. Gordon was suspended 80 games after testing positive for exogenous testosterone and clostebol, a pair of banned substances.

"Just the guy he was and he is it's hard to believe," Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw said Friday afternoon.

The timing of the announcement upset Dodgers players and management, still reeling from a four-game sweep by the middling Marlins. It also led to a question. Why would MLB announce a suspension at 1:17 a.m. on the East Coast?

"That's when the player officially dropped his right to appeal," Pat Courtney, baseball's chief communications officer, said in a telephone interview with The Times. At some point during that 15-minute window, Gordon officially decided to accept the suspension looming over him.

Citing the confidentiality clauses in baseball's Joint Drug Agreement, Courtney declined to provide specifics on the case. Gordon failed a test in spring training, ESPN reported. As a first-time offender, he was allowed the right to appeal. In deference to due process, a player can continue to take the field until his case has been litigated.

The situation surprised Dodgers officials as it exasperated them. Part of a package sent to Miami by president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman after the 2014 season, Gordon is a spindly, speedy player who was well-liked by teammates and coaches.

"He's a great kid, and he works hard," Dodgers Manager Dave Roberts said. "He's done a lot of good things."

On Friday, Dodgers President Stan Kasten contacted Dan Halem, baseball's chief legal officer. Halem walked Kasten through the timeline of events and answered his questions. Kasten said he left the conversation convinced the matter "was handled appropriately and consistent with the rules that are in place."

The Dodgers were hurt, in part, because of those rules. Late Thursday night, Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander reacted with vehemence, writing on Twitter that players who fail a drug test should not be allowed to play during the appeal.

Kershaw threw cold water on that idea. He understood the sentiment, but suggested the players in question would suffer guilt by association.

"You can't just say, 'Well, he's out while he appeals it,'" Kershaw said "Because then his name is in the mud."

He added, "The only thing that makes sense is to just speed up the appeals process. But there has to be an appeals process."

Several teammates echoed that sentiment.

"It's not ideal," second baseman Chase Utley said. "But I think it's the most fair way to do it."

A similar scenario unfolded earlier this month involving Toronto first baseman Chris Colabello. He learned he had failed a test for an anabolic steroid on March 13, according to the timeline Colabello provided to SportsNet in Toronto. His 80-game suspension did not become public until April 22. During the interim, he hit .069, only a year after batting .321.

"It seemed like his conscience was bothering him way more than Dee," Dodgers utilityman Enrique Hernandez said. "Because if you look at his numbers last year and his numbers this year, you could tell that something was going on with him."

Gordon played the entire series against the Dodgers aware of the fate awaiting him. He did not address the media after the game. Like Colabello last week, and so many others before him, Gordon denied "knowingly" using performance-enhancing drugs in a statement released by the Major League Baseball Players Assn. on Friday morning.

"Though I did not do so knowingly, I have been informed that test results showed I ingested something that contained prohibited substances," the statement read. "The hardest part about this is feeling that I have let down my teammates, the organization, and the fans.

"I have been careful to avoid products that could contain something banned by MLB and the 20+ tests that I have taken and passed throughout my career prove this. I made a mistake and I accept the consequences."

Suspended without pay, Gordon will lose about $1.63 million. But he will still receive the rest of the $50 million the Marlins owe him. Miami handed him a contract extension after Gordon won the National League batting title last season.

There is no way of knowing if Gordon's breakout in 2015 can be attributed to performance-enhancing drugs. But the taint of the suspension will linger.

"There's incentive, for sure, for taking them," Kershaw said. "I guess it's just more about the character you are, the person. And even if you don't have that, hopefully the drug testing is enough."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 5/4/16 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/29/16 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shocks me! Not that I know too much about him but just that he seemed like a hard worker and fans like you, and our neighbor, really respected his work ethic the last few years. But then as they said, since Bobby's son is now on their staff - well Lol.

Just saw this on mlb.com, seems like the writer is very skeptical - article linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/4/16 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then as they said, since Bobby's son is now on their staff - well Lol.

Yes, I've heard that one, too Wink but now we have an embarrassing one to deal with ourselves. Hey, at least it wasn't a catalyst and super performer on the team like it was with the Marlins. It was a rookie who's on the DL!

Dodgers reliever Josh Ravin has been suspended for PED use, leading many fans to poke fun of how this happens to someone who's been on the DL since spring training--much less someone who most fans outside the Dodger Universe don't know. I continue to wish him well in his recovery from his accident, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: