Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Thu 10/6/05 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Francine....that is great!!! Please, please let me know in advance. I will do my utmost to be there. I'm there most of the time anyway...LOL You can go on a "Tek watch" at the bullpen. It's quite amazing. It's funny that I'm there all the time and I think if he looked me straight in the eye away from Fenway Park he would have no idea.....he's that focused on his own preparation....

Ruth
Francine

PostPosted: Thu 10/6/05 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth, I most certainly will let you know. My son and husband are also looking quite forward to it. I just love the old ballparks and I get caught up in the charm and history of it. I want to see everything in Boston!
crzblue

PostPosted: Mon 11/21/05 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned before I have a collection of baseball movies and I still had two unwrapped so Sunday I finally watched "Hustle". I knew about Pete Rose's gambling but I did not know how he ruined a friend's life. See, he had a friend place all his bets. His friend taught highly of him and agreed to be the 'in between' person. I felt sorry for his friend 'cause Pete Rose owed everyone money but the collectors would all go to his friend. One in particular tells the friend "see Pete is safe so long as he is in baseball but you are not".

The pressure on the friend is so much that he starts paying for some of Pete's debts with his own money. He withdraws money from his bank the first time convincing his wife Pete will pay him back. He continues to withrdraw his own money (up to $30,000) . Eventually the friend lands in jail for selling steroids and paying debts with steroids. His wife tells him "we are broke", " I used the last of the money to pay the bail."

Pete rose not only screwed up his life but he screwed up other people's life. At the end of the movie you see Pete admitting that he did in fact bet on the Reds. I wish at the end fo the movie, that someone would have talked about gambling as a disease and where to get help.
Francine

PostPosted: Tue 11/22/05 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A League of Their Own was on last night. We enjoyed it, again. What a great movie. I know it's been mentioned before but, it's just one of the great movies about baseball.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/22/05 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Meeting some of those ladies in real life at the WIN breakfast was fun, and seeing how they still have some spunk after all these years was inspirational to me.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Tue 11/22/05 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it was amazing to meet them. They were the women at the end of the movie, right? Those were the real women who played?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/22/05 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those were the "real women" at the end. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Fri 11/25/05 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented Fever Pitch the other night and I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed. I can't put my finger on it but I thought I would really like it and I didn't. I guess my expectations were too high. I can understand Red Sox fans loving it because it shows some great scenes of Boston and of Fenway and relives the World Series.

Anyway, I thought of a great trivia question from the movie - who was the batter from the opposing team that hit Drew Barrymore with the foul ball? (No cheating by getting your DVDs out). Laughing
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sat 11/26/05 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen Fever Pitch yet. I was nauseated when I saw them filming in St. Louis after the game...and not just a little jealous. Like that's fair?

I do want to rent the DVD at least and watch it...but It's hard for me to get excited about Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore....and the idea that the "caricature" of the Red Sox fan gets publicity.

Ruth
JTT

PostPosted: Sat 11/26/05 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "Fever Pitch" - I mean, how could I not? I too was extremely annoyed that they let them on the field at the end of the WS - because, that just wouldn't happen. Hello - if people could do that, every Red Sox fan would've been on the field hugging and kissing everyone!

But the movie is cute and a lot of things ring very true! Like when Drew Barrymore is running across Fenway Park barefoot (using my boy Damon as a shield) and runs over to Jimmy Fallon I'm thinking like, "gee, I'd love to run across Fenway barefoot, I wonder what it feels like" and Fallon's first words to her aren't "what the hell are you doing!" they're "You just ran across the field!" "yeah" "What does it feel like?? Is it spongy?" LOL I almost died because he said what I was thinking!

Was that Tek "Bull Durham" quote in ESPN magazine, the "Brain of the Idiots" article by any chance? Damn, I lent that to someone and they haven't given it back!!! Now I know why!

I like Bull Durham, I like parts of Field of Dreams but the whole concept annoys me... like dead people come play baseball? I know, there is something there I don't get but I love James Earl Jone's speech about the one constant throughout history has been baseball... that gets me every time and its so true.

And I love Major League. And I love Remember the Titans too, actually I love football movies.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/26/05 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have not seen Fever Pitch yet.

LOL, are you the only Red Sox fan who hasn't, Ruth? Smile

I know you weren't around the rest of us when the movie was first released, and we were discussing it on the "old board" (by the way, I haven't seen it either), but a few comments were made about "that caricature" of fan, too.

Quote:
but It's hard for me to get excited about Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore...

You know, I have to agree...but others here have said it's a "fun" movie. I just don't know; I wasn't so excited that I wanted to go out and see it right away, either.

One has to wonder if a similar "curse-breaking" movie will be made about the White Sox, too. I realize the ending had to be changed for "Fever Pitch", but I wouldn't be surprised if someone latches on to the concept and makes a Chicago-related one about the "Black Sox" scandal finally being exonerated; the question is who the actors will be and what twist they will add to customize it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/15/06 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the old made-for-TV movie "It's Good to Be Alive" today (based on the book of the same name), which I hadn't seen in over 20 years.

The movie was made in 1974 and stars Paul Winfield as Hall of Fame catcher Roy Campanella with Louis Gossett Jr. as his caregiver after he is involved in the 1958 car accident that ended his career as a player and left him paralyzed. As cinematic drama goes, it isn't particularly a standout overall, but the story is truly uplifting. Campanella's inner strength was remarkable, and he served as an instructional aide, coach, and held many other positions within the Dodgers' organization until his death in 1993. Many players have referred to him as a source of inspiration over that period of time.

In the final scene, the Dodgers play the Yankees in an exhibition game at the Memorial Coliseum in 1959 on "Roy Campanella Tribute" night, as he throws out the first pitch from his wheelchair and speaks the words in the movie's title. It is, as one review mentions, reminiscent of Lou Gehrig's "luckiest man" speech in "Pride of the Yankees". (It should be noted that our friend Harpo from this board was in attendance at that game as a young child.)

Rest in peace, Campy!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 1/15/06 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen the original Angels in the Outfield? I stumbled across it on AMC twice, excellent movie!
crzblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/06 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francine wrote:
Has anyone ever seen the original Angels in the Outfield? I stumbled across it on AMC twice, excellent movie!

resurecting an old thread. Yes, I've seen the original Angels in the Outfiled. I much prefer this one to the new one. AMC is one of my favorite channels.

Last weekend I was at the mall and noticed they were closing a Movie/Cd place. I scouted all they had for baseball movies to add to my collection. I found "Cobb" My brother said "buy it" so I did.

The movie only has one "baseball scene" as is set in 1960 when Cobb, then 72 years old, hires Al Stump to write his bio. Stump meets Cobb when the former player is an alcoholic, pill popping old crank nearing the end of his days.

Stump quickly tires of Cobb's reckless disregard for life, the endless streams of profanity, the racism against blacks and the insults. The two men spend more time sparring with each other than working on the book, but when they do get around to writing there's a problem. Cobb wants the book to focus on his exploits as an athlete, and Stump wants to write about the man's personal life. Stump writes two books, and this 1994 film is based on Cobb's personal life.

Tommy Lee Jones is incredible in his performance of the Georgia Peach. Oh, there is also a cameo apperance of Roger Clement on the mound.

"I had no idea Cobb was such an SOB. Had I known the lack of baseball scenes in the movie, I would not had bought it, but I would definitely would have seen the film. Like I said, Tommy Lee Jones give yous an Oscar caliber performance of Ty Cobb.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/06 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slowly working my way through all of my baseball movies to get ready for the upcoming season.

Bang The Drum Slowly
Damn Yankees
The Natural
61*
Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Major League
Major League 2
Major League: Back to the Minors
The Fan
A League of Their Own
Field of Dreams
For Love of the Game
The Rookie
Summer Catch

So far I have finished Damn Yankees, The Natural, 61*, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, The Fan, A League of Their Own, Field of Dreams, The Rookie, Summer Catch, and I'm working on For Love of the Game now.

You know, crz, there was a fairly decent movie called Babe Ruth in which Pete Rose played Ty Cobb. Do you think TLJ did a better job than Pete? Wink
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/06 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's it! Kristin, when you come here we have to make time to watch Bull Durham.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/06 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CgrGrl wrote:
Ok, that's it! Kristin, when you come here we have to make time to watch Bull Durham.

Haha...I've seen it on many occasions. I just down own it Laughing I also don't own Angels in the Outfield, Slugger's Wife, and The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings but I've seen all of them Wink
Francine

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crzblue"]
Francine wrote:

resurecting an old thread. Yes, I've seen the original Angels in the Outfiled. I much prefer this one to the new one. AMC is one of my favorite channels.

crzblue, I agree, I like it much better than the new one. I'd love a copy. It's really good Very Happy
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DianaPrince wrote:
I've been slowly working my way through all of my baseball movies to get ready for the upcoming season.

Bang The Drum Slowly
Damn Yankees
The Natural
61*
Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Major League
Major League 2
Major League: Back to the Minors
The Fan
A League of Their Own
Field of Dreams
For Love of the Game
The Rookie
Summer Catch

So far I have finished Damn Yankees, The Natural, 61*, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, The Fan, A League of Their Own, Field of Dreams, The Rookie, Summer Catch, and I'm working on For Love of the Game now.

You know, crz, there was a fairly decent movie called Babe Ruth in which Pete Rose played Ty Cobb. Do you think TLJ did a better job than Pete? Wink

I give you a warning on the movie "The Fan" It is extremely creepy. It caused me to shy away from contact with the players and I'm aquaintances with one. I wouldn't get autographs or anything for over a month. Even now I keep a fair distance.

I have some movies to add to this list but since I'm at work I don't have them handy. I will add the movies to the list when I get home.
Francine

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofy, I didn't want to get accused of something so I'm glad you mentioned that. I think that is the thriller about a psycho stalker fan that turned on the player, Isn't it? I think I saw it once and it freaked me out, if it's the same movie.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoofyMsFan wrote:
I give you a warning on the movie "The Fan" It is extremely creepy. It caused me to shy away from contact with the players and I'm aquaintances with one. I wouldn't get autographs or anything for over a month. Even now I keep a fair distance.

Goofy, I've seen The Fan many times. I like thrillers so I didn't mind it much. The only part that upset me was when they killed the Krukker. Not the Krukker!
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Krukster was killed!?!?!?!?! What?!?!?! WHen?!?!?!?! . .. . . . . Oh, you mean in the movie. I saw that movie when it first came out. I forgot that the Kruk was in it.

Don't ya love the scene when they're playing in the "hurricane-like" rain? Now we all know that the game would definintely have been called in rain like that! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I saw it once and it freaked me out, if it's the same movie.

I really don't like stalker movies in general.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Fan while I was writing a thesis on stalking. It was good, but to be honest, only a very small amount of reported incidents of stalking involve a celebrity. Most are crazed out ex-lovers, a few are neighbors who become obsessed, and very few are somebody who sees somebody in a store or something and becomes instantly smitten or obsessed like in that Madonna movie Desperately Seeking Susan.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Desperately Seeking Susan.

That was so long ago I'd almost forgotten about it. But I actually thought that was a pretty good movie. It didn't have that "thriller" element about it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:
Desperately Seeking Susan.

That was so long ago I'd almost forgotten about it. But I actually thought that was a pretty good movie. It didn't have that "thriller" element about it.

That was a day or two ago. It was about that housewife who gets amnesia and somehow decides to take on Susan's personality, but she was wanted by the mob. It was pretty entertaining.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilsPhan wrote:
The Krukster was killed!?!?!?!?! What?!?!?! WHen?!?!?!?! . .. . . . . Oh, you mean in the movie. I saw that movie when it first came out. I forgot that the Kruk was in it.

Don't ya love the scene when they're playing in the "hurricane-like" rain? Now we all know that the game would definintely have been called in rain like that! Very Happy

He only had one line "Now we all wear the number" or something like that. He died defending his teammates during that rainstorm in the end. What a valient way to go *sighs dramatically* My hero. Wink
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was the thiller. Some people like movies like that...me...not so much. Confused

I have to see if I can find all of my baseball movies:

Pride of the Yankees
The Fan (won't ever watch it again)
Summer Catch
Baseketball (I think you need to be drunk to watch this one)
League of their Own
Bad News Bears (the Original)
Bang the Drum Slowly
Major League (all three)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
Naked Gun (gotta love the Umpire scene)
The Natural
Mickey
61*
For Love of Game
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
Mr. Baseball
The Rookie
The Rookie of the Year
Little Big League
Mr. 3000
Where Have you Gone Joe Dimaggio?
The Bingo Long Traveling All Stars & Motor Kings
Fever Pitch
Soul of the Game
Pride of St. Louis
The Man from Left Field
The Prisoner of Zenda, Inc.
World Series, '05
Signs (you gotta admit the underlying theme is baseball! Wink )
When It was a Game (Vol. 1)
The Dream Team (they go to a game)
Eight Men Out
Major League Baseball's Memorable Moments
The Abbott & Costello Show's: Who's on First?
Ed
Scout
Babe Ruth: The Life behind the Legend
Sweet 116 (this is an M's high light video)
Hardball
Stealing Home
Angels in the Outfield
You Gotta Love This Guy: A Tribute to Edgar Martinez (another M's video)
It's Good to Be Alive
Sandlot 1 & 2 (2 pretty much stinks)
Pitcher and the Pin-up

Whew I think that's all of them I have for now. Sad part is I know there are over 30 more movies on my "To Get List"
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you seen this Tshirt:

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/06 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:

Have you seen this Tshirt:

OH MY! No I have not seen that Shirt! I LOVE IT!

I've also been toying with the idea of creating a shirt for us on the forum but I need to do some thinking about how I would want it to look. I've designed a couple of shirts before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: