Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball tidbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/9/07 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in: $673 for a can of insecticide.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 12/19/07 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this so here it goes:

Notebook: Tiger lands Koufax autograph

Published: December 18, 2007

THOUSAND OAKS, California (AP) — One of the most coveted autograph in sports is Tiger Woods, who signs sparingly at golf tournaments, more than he likes when requests are brought to him, and who has a deal with Upper Deck to combat forgeries.

There aren't many autographs he wants in return, but Woods recently got a prized possession — a baseball signed by Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax.

"How about that?" Woods said, breaking into a broad smile when asked about the autograph.

Why is Koufax so meaningful to him?

For one thing, Woods said they share the same birthday (Dec. 30), although Koufax arrived on earth 40 years earlier. Additionally, Woods grew up a Los Angeles Dodgers fan, and besides Jackie Robinson, he can think of no other player who better epitomizes his team.

"I've been a Dodger fan my entire life, and Koufax is the man," he said. "For pitchers, you wouldn't think of any other player. During those five years (in the 1960s), nobody could touch him."

Woods asked an official at Upper Deck that if he ever ran into Koufax, would he ask for an autograph. The next time Woods saw him, the Upper Deck rep handed him a baseball.

"It's got a personal inscription," Woods said. "It's at home in my bedroom, sitting right there."

Woods said it was only the second autograph of a sports figure he has sought in his life. The other came about a dozen years ago when he met Muhammad Ali. He wound up getting a signed pair of boxing trunks that Ali wore in a fight in 1977.

"I had never asked for any autograph ever, and I said to him, 'Could you please sign anything, a paper, anything, please?' He was shaking (from Parkinson's Disease) and said, 'I'll take care of it.' All of a sudden, I had a a pair of trunks. He said, 'I won't be needing these anymore.' I've got those hanging on my wall."

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1696015,00.html
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 12/19/07 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Great story, Crz. Personally inscribed, to boot. How truly rare.

Someone had told me about this but I didn't see it in print. Thanks.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 12/21/07 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone to the dogs...LOL, who'd have thunk it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 12/22/07 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How appropriate.lol He should have known to keep it away from his dog.

PS Thanks for the Tiger Woods story Emma
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/2/08 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one hasn't been posted in for awhile, and while I had saved a few odds and ends from December that I can't find right now, here are a couple of items I ran across in January.

Earlier this week, from the L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing":

"Money balls . . . and strikes"

Pitcher Randy Newsom of the Cleveland Indians is being offered on the free-agent market by . . . Newsom.

He is peddling his wares through his company, Real Sports Investments. For $20, one can own a share of Newsom, which will net you .0016% of his future major league earnings.

Buyer beware, this is not exactly Phil Rizzuto for the Money Store.

Newsom, 25, was not drafted and has spent five seasons in the minor leagues, although he had 18 saves with double-A Akron last season.

"RSI contracts with athletes and gives them cash up-front in exchange for a promise to pay a small agreed-upon percentage of their future major league earnings, kind of like insurance," Newsom said in an interview with Baseball Prospectus.

Investors can only hope his other pitches are a tad better than his sales pitch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From a Clippers game report, also in the Tiimes:

Dodgers first baseman James Loney attended practice and played a game of H-O-R-S-E with Sam Cassell.

Predictably, the basketball player trumped the baseball player.

"If he is out here shooting jumpers with you, then you have to try and hit a curveball with him," quipped Neil Olshey, the Clippers' director of player personnel.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/08 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute story about how Salomon Torres ended up with the Brewers.

Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla rescues a raccoon.

This one has gotten a lot of ink, but the Phillies pulled a good one on pitcher Kyle Kendrick, with teammate Brett Myers being the ringleader. It was pretty elaborate, given they involved the media and Kendrick's agent.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/22/08 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting tribute:

A worldwide toast to late Cubs announcer Harry Caray was held Thursday night, and fans at his namesake restaurant in downtown Chicago celebrated by drinking from a 100-gallon glass of beer. (One gallon for every year since the Cubs won a World Series.)

"I'm sure Harry would say that's just another after-dinner drink for him," Grant DePorter, president of the Haray Caray Restaurant Group, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

(Reprinted from today's L.A. Times "Morning Briefing" column.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From MLB.com:

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Jose Guillen, in his first Spring Training get-together with reporters, went for the laughs.

Guillen breezed through his first workout with the Royals on Tuesday and then donned a dark, curly, '70s-style wig for a mass interview. His eyes must have been dancing behind the sunglasses he wore over his wide grin.

"This used to be my hair. I just decided to put it on. Somebody did this to me. [David] DeJesus told me to wear it for you all," Guillen said. "He told me, 'I bet you cannot wear this out there.' I said, 'All right, you lose already -- 50 bucks.' "

The Royals have been working out in Surprise since a volunteer camp began on Feb. 7, but the arrival of Guillen, for the first full-squad practice was the most anticipated event so far.

(Click here to see photo.)

From yesterday's L.A. Times:

(New Dodgers manager Joe) Torre spoke later, his stated goal being to "let them know a little about me," which included his days as a player and manager elsewhere. But he also told them that he wanted to know about them and their concerns, something he demonstrated a day earlier when approaching Beimel about cutting his shoulder-length hair.

"He wanted to make sure it wasn't going to screw me up," said Beimel, who last had short hair in 2004...

(DB6 note: If that ERA goes up even a notch, we'll blame him!) Smile

Now, a lot of you here know that I am a fan of Rays third base prospect Evan Longoria, so I had to chuckle while reading this on MLB.com:

Quote:
Will the Rays' top prospect be their starting third baseman on Opening Day? Or will the club opt to have him season further at Triple-A Durham before his coronation?

Where Rays fans are concerned, looking for the answers to these questions fueled an offseason's worth of speculation. Longoria pays no mind to the blog postings and message boards. Of course, there is no need for him to do so thanks to his mother, Ellie.

"The majority of the stuff I hear is from my mom," Longoria said. "I don't really read the Web site too much. She pretty much reads everything from the Web site to the blog, so I hear it all.

Hey, let's hear it for the baseball chick mom!
Very Happy

From cincinnatireds.com:

Quiet winter: For the first time in an offseason, first baseman Joey Votto didn't play baseball in a fall or winter league. The 24-year-old tried to fill the down time with vacations and trips home to Canada, but he needs a hobby.

"I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good," Votto said.

Up and coming oenophile: (Manager Dusty) Baker recently moved into his new home in Sacramento, Calif. A man of many interests, he used his season out of baseball to hunt, read and has even started developing a winery.

Wine snobs, beware. Baker will bring his flair to the operation.

"I'm trying to be a wine dude," Baker said.

(DB6 comment: Trying to compete with Tom Seaver, huh? Well, we've heard wine goes well with toothpicks and Juicy Fruit.) Smile

From seattlemariners.com:

Diplomacy, please: (Jose) Lopez's delay got (manager John) McLaren into a bit of surprising hot water. In defending the infielder earlier in the week, McLaren had said Lopez had done everything correctly but was being detained by Venezuelan red tape.

"I think I made the comment that we're at their mercy," McLaren recalled.

Poor choice of words, turned out. The Mariners apparently even heard about it from some State Department watchdogs.

"We got little e-mails explaining the situation to us," said a sincerely contrite McLaren. "I know exactly where they're coming from, and I apologize. They've got a tough job, with security these days around the world.

"I was very insensitive and spoke out of turn. I didn't know the dynamics of it, and certainly didn't want to make anyone look bad."

The Mariners start each morning by throwing the clubhouse floor open to a warmup performance from a player, and Thursday's song was delivered by infielder Tug Hulett -- evidently, not too well. "I think he sang 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling,'" McLaren said.

From whitesox.com:

One of the most vivid memories for (Orlando) Cabrera of (manager Ozzie) Guillen in Montreal during the 2001 season was of his third-base coach sleeping in the dugout during a game. Guillen copped to the catnap. "You spend the summer in Montreal and you are a coach, that's his fault," Guillen said. "The way they were playing, you were going to sleep. But I won't blame the team. I was out all night in Montreal."

(DB6 note: At least he isn't just old, like Tommy Lasorda!) Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
chisoxgal

PostPosted: Fri 2/22/08 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's typical Ozzie! Laughing One of the first days in camp he said he would run down Michigan Avenue naked if we won it all this year. Shocked Wish I would have saved the exact quote.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/24/08 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida Marlins looking for male "Manatees." LOL at the description. Harpo says I should forward it to Tommy. Smile Hey, he's already OUR mascot. Exclamation

From phillies.com:

"Say 'Cheese!' ": Phillies players had their annual picture day on Thursday, as they were photographed for use on baseball cards, marketing and scoreboard displays.

Right-hander Clay Condrey made sure he looked as mean as possible for his photo.

"I only throw 83 miles an hour, so I better look tough," Condrey said with a laugh.

From the L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing" column:

"Take your seat"

With Shea Stadium and Yankee Stadium set to shut down after this season, security officials at both New York ballparks are on the lookout for fans who may loot, loot, loot from the home team.

The New York Post reported "cashing in on pieces of the soon-to-be- extinct Yankee and Shea stadiums could make up for this season's and future ticket price hikes." The report says that stadium seats will be among the most sought-after memorabilia and could fetch thousands of dollars in auctions.

The hard part will be telling apart the Yankees fans who bring wrenches to steal seats from the ones who bring wrenches to get acquainted with each other in the stands.

(OUCH) Shocked

From the L.A. Times:

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 24, 2008

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- In the days leading up to his departure for spring training, Takashi Saito dropped by a Japanese market in Torrance.

He loaded two bags of rice into his shopping cart. He picked up soy sauce. Then pots, pans and other cooking utensils. Saito knew he'd be cooking for more than himself this spring.

For the first time during his tenure with the Dodgers, there was another Japanese player on the roster. Along with Hiroki Kuroda, the Dodgers' $35.3 million winter signing, came an interpreter and an employee of a sports management company that represents the two pitchers.

On an island of sorts in his two major league seasons because of linguistic and cultural barriers, Saito is now part of a Japanese-speaking foursome that occupies the space in front of side-by-side lockers in the far end of the Dodgers' clubhouse.

...Five or six times this spring, the 38-year-old closer and amateur chef had cooked meals for the club's growing Japanese-speaking contingent, which also includes Asian operations director Acey Kohrogi and traveling secretary Scott Akasaki.

"I like cooking," Saito said. "Except salad."

For the visitors to his rental home in Vero Beach, "Chef Saito," as he refers to himself on his blog, has prepared everything from a spinach salad with egg and bacon to a fried dish with shrimp and tofu. He said he taught himself how to prepare his own meals two spring trainings ago because of the shortage of Japanese cuisine in Vero Beach.

"His cooking is really good," Kuroda said. "It's like food you'd find in Japan."

DB6 comment: Well, there is certainly no shortage of Japanese food in ethnically diverse Los Angeles, and as a matter of fact, there is a "Saito's Sushi" restaurant which is--coincidentally--located on Sunset Boulevard roughly two miles from Dodger Stadium in the Silver Lake neighborhood. I wonder how it compares to Takashi's cuisine?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Harpo

PostPosted: Sun 2/24/08 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like one of Pavlov's dogs, whenever I see or hear the phrase "Japanese food," I automatically think of this:

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/24/08 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what this was going to be, and all I can say is, "Don't ask Saito!!!" Mad Mad

I sure don't want to jinx any of our players, Japanese-born or otherwise. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 2/25/08 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to say I thought it was mean.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/1/08 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For old time's sake here's one of my favorite ST articles from padres.com, three years ago.

Quote:
"I'm just trying to make a catch," Giles said. "But once I had it and it came out, I was concerned I had a burn on my wrist and it might ruin my tanning program.

"But it's OK. I can still tan."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 3/1/08 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great promotion. Self tanning is the only way I can get tan.lol
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 3/1/08 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for not reading the whole article. I thought they gave it away at st. Come to think of it they should though.
chisoxgal

PostPosted: Fri 3/7/08 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!!! Rolling Eyes Cubs to play at U.S. Cellular during Wrigley Field rennovations?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080307-chicago-cubs-wrigley-field-us-cellular,1,1488066.story
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/11/08 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeek! Well, we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I wanted to bump this up because of a little item I read in the L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing" column before I left last week:

"American idol":

Spring training is normally a time for fans to meet their idols, but the tables were turned for Seattle Mariners pitcher Miguel Batista last week in Phoenix.

The Seattle Times reported that Batista, who plays the saxophone, went backstage at a Kenny G concert to meet his musical idol, then stayed for the show.

At one point, Kenny G left the stage while playing and waded through the aisles before approaching Batista's seat.

"Then he pauses from playing," Batista said. "And he goes, 'Thanks, guy, it was cool today.' "

It couldn't get much better for Batista.

"Now, I feel like I've had everything," he said. "I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Not to diss Kenny G, but I can't agree with the Koufax parallel.
Confused

Then, of course, there's the Yankees' signing of Billy Crystal to a one-day contract.

For some of you this will be an old story, but FYI to the newer posters here, I sat behind Billy Crystal at a Dodgers game in 1980 when he was an up-and-coming talent. (I had to be told who he was, because several people had approached him for autographs between innings).

He was congenial and pleasant, and from eavesdropping on his conversations I could tell he was a true fan of the game, even when the Yankees aren't playing.

Perhaps we'll see a little more of Billy around OLOCR this season, as he mentions he's a good friend of Joe Torre. Or maybe he should have signed with the Dodgers for a day! Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 3/11/08 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we have to look at it from Batista's side. I'm not a big Kenny G fan but I guess he is.

You are starting to sound like Emma with your Billy Crystal sighting in 80. I know the Yankees are his team but he really should come over to the good side.(Dodgers).
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Tue 3/11/08 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bautista is an odd sort -- and I don't mean that negatively at all...he's just got a fascinating and well-rounded personality. I saw a special on him (perhaps on ESPN?) a few years ago. He's insanely intelligent as well.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan...I only meant I disagreed with the comparison in stature, not so much whether I was a fan or not. That's not why I'm bumping the thread, though. Smile

I was pretty busy last week but ran across a few items while catching up on my reading over the last few days.

From the L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing" column:

"Unlikely mogul"

Former major leaguer Lenny Dykstra has become a heavy hitter in the investment world. A subscription to his Dykstra Report newsletter costs $49.95 a month. He travels by private jet and bought Wayne Gretzky's Lake Sherwood estate for $17.5 million.

On the latest edition of HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel," correspondent Bernard Goldberg asked Dykstra, "Is it true you once said you don't read books because they might hurt your batting eye?"

Dykstra: "Yeah, you got to rest your eyes, man. Plus it makes you think too much."

Goldberg: "Reading?"

Dykstra: "Too confusing."

Goldberg: "Reading?"

Dykstra: "Yeah, I still don't like to read."

Goldberg: "And I'm supposed to follow your investing choices?"

Dykstra: "Only if you like money."

From the L.A. Times Sports Section, NCAA:

"Baseball team could offer tips"

By Peter Yoon, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
9:50 PM PDT, March 18, 2008

OMAHA -- Rosenblatt Stadium and the Titan House are only about three miles from the Qwest Center, where Cal State Fullerton will open the NCAA basketball tournament Thursday against Wisconsin, and the Titans are hoping some of the baseball karma reaches that far.

"We're going to talk to some of those guys and find out the secret to Omaha," guard Frank Robinson said of the baseball team. "I heard it's Titanville over there so I'm going to call someone and see what they did."

The baseball team has appeared at the College World Series at Rosenblatt so often that a group of alumni in 2003 swung a deal to rent out a house across the street every time they came and they have been back in 2004, 2006 and 2007, winning the title in 2004.

The Titans have become an adopted home team for the city during the baseball tournament, and the basketball team is hoping that sentiment spills over to its players.

"We can use all the support we can get," said forward Scott Cutley. "I know Wisconsin fans are going to be there in full throttle, so any support we can get will be a plus."

DB6 comment: CSUF is such a baseball school, this appearance is really out of the ordinary for them.

Last, this oversight took place while Crzblue was at the Dodgers-Nationals game last week in Vero Beach, which provoked Harpo to remark that, in his words, "(Tommy) Lasorda really is senile." LOL--despite his claims to the contrary when he recognized Crz at Dodgertown. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE.

Poor Tommy.
Sandi

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I hear the name Rick Honeycutt, I think about two particular Dodgers fans squealing like mad when they learned he was the guest for Mike Shannon's restaurant/radio show. Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think of Crzblue jumping up to find out if that older couple were his parents.

Next thing I know, she's left our table and is friends with them! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/20/08 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poof! And just like that, Cal State Fullerton can go back to being a baseball school.

Anyway, here are a few more tidbits:

Earlier this week, I started a thread about MLB going "green." Well, check out the measures Japan is taking (following item from the San Diego Union-Tribune):

"As part of Japan's fight against global warming, the country's pro baseball officials said yesterday they plan to shorten games by 12 minutes to reduce carbon dioxide emissions at stadiums.

Teams will be required to spend no more than 2 minutes and 15 seconds when they change from fielding to batting. Pitchers will be asked to throw within 15 seconds of receiving the ball from the catcher when no runners are on base.

Officials say games create large amounts of carbon dioxides via cars and buses, and supplying electricity for lighting and other purposes.

The proposal is in accordance with Japan's pledge to cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 6 percent from 1990 levels between 2008 and 2010 under the Kyoto Protocol on climate change.

Today's "Morning Briefing" contained a few gems.

"Minor league team makes space for Rocket"

Huntsville has an offer for Clemens.

By Chris Foster, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 20, 2008

Stars make space for Rocket

The Huntsville Stars, the Milwaukee Brewers' Double-A affiliate, never seem to miss a...trick. First the Stars hired Buck Rodgers as general manager, now they have offered Roger Clemens a contract . . . to be their mascot . . . their secondary mascot, "The Rocket."

He would dress in an astronaut uniform and support the main mascot, "Homer the Polecat," who also might be able to fill the buddy-void in Clemens' life since Andy Pettitte provided his affidavit.

"Clemens is a small-town guy, and he'd be a great fit in Huntsville," Rodgers said.

The deal would pay Clemens $25 per game, plus vouchers for a hot dog and soda at the concession stand. Oh, and a 15% discount on souvenirs.

While that is more than any major league has ponied up this spring, it might not be the best PR move for Clemens. Name a mascot who doesn't appear to be on some sort of drug (though not necessarily performance-enhancing ones)?

"Storm warnings"

Barry Bonds can get out of the unemployment line as well. The Lake Elsinore Storm of the California League is offering a "cushy media relations position (with slight pay cut from $19.3 million)," a release from the team said. Bonds would have free run of the baseball facilities, and "expanded cubicle space with Barcalounger and plasma TV."

Chris Jones, the team's general manager, said, "We just think the way he has handled the media with such grace over the years that he would be a perfect fit in our media relations department."

Just remember, Barry, that's media relations, not media retaliations.

"International diplomacy"

Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane, with his team's games against the Boston Red Sox in Japan back on schedule, seemed giddy about playing future international games.

Beane, wearing Arsenal shorts, told the Associated Press, "I hope we go to Rome. I hope we go to Paris, Berlin."

Just a fashion tip, Billy: If you go to Rome, Paris or Berlin, lose those shorts.

And finally

Chicago Cubs Manager Lou Piniella, asked about his concerns on how cold weather would affect pitcher Kerry Wood's sore back, told reporters, "If we had to be concerned about everything to be concerned about, we'd never get any sleep."

Answering for all Cubs fans: You got that right, Lou.

Last, because I just cannot resist one last Tommy story, here goes--again from a game Crzblue attended. Because the Florida Marlins got a "blast from the past" during their contest with the Dodgers on March 11. That's when Tommy came out to argue with the ump over a call on a fair ball. I guess nobody told the visiting team who was in charge, though. Smile

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Seeing the fight in Lasorda brought big cheers from the Dodgertown crowd...

The Marlins catcher actually was more surprised to see Lasorda in the role of manager.

"I didn't know he was managing until they made a pitching change," (Mike) Rabelo said. "Then I said, 'Holy cow, he is managing!' Afterwards, I found out about Torre. I think that's pretty cool. When I was a kid, he was managing [the Dodgers]. He's a vocal guy."

"He's very passionate. Even in the ninth inning, he was rooting on some of the younger guys who are still in Minor League camp. I thought that was pretty cool. He was cheering on anyone wearing blue."

Full article here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/4/08 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, weird twist in this unfortunate incident:

A 13-year-old girl touring Fenway Park on a school trip was attacked by a red-tailed hawk that drew blood from her scalp. The girl's name: Alexa Rodriguez.

From the Associated Press

BOSTON -- A 13-year-old girl touring Fenway Park on a school trip was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from her scalp Thursday.

She wasn't seriously hurt, but some observers saw an omen for a certain New York Yankees slugger in the attack at the home of the Boston Red Sox. The girl's name is Alexa Rodriguez.

Vince Jennetta, a teacher who chaperoned her class trip from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., told The Boston Globe that Alexa is "a little shaken, but OK."

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooped with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

A single egg lay in the hawk's nearby nest in an overhang near the stadium's press booth.

The nest and egg were removed at the direction of state wildlife officials.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 4/5/08 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that last one was beyond weird.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/12/08 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good one! From MLB.com, "Beyond the Box Score":

"Travelogue"

San Francisco Giants broadcaster Jon Miller almost didn't make the club's 50th anniversary celebration on Monday. He would have been missed, too, since he was scheduled to be the announcer for the pregame celebration at AT&T Park. Miller had to fly back from Detroit where he had broadcast ESPN's Sunday night game between the Tigers and Chicago White Sox. He booked a seat on a USAir flight that left Detroit at 7 a.m. and connected through Las Vegas arriving in San Francisco sooner than any of the available non-stop flights. Miller arrived in Vegas on time only to discover that his connecting flight had been canceled. He immediately called his travel agent and scrambled to find a flight that would get him to the Bay Area in time to make the start of the pregame ceremony at 1:00 p.m. The best option USAir could offer was a connection through Los Angeles that arrived in San Francisco at a quarter of six. But Miller found a flight to Oakland on Southwest Airlines that landed at 11:55 a.m. His travel agent arranged to have a car waiting to whisk him across the bay, and the Giants asked the California Highway Patrol to provide an escort. The CHP was supposed to meet the car at the entrance to the Bay Bridge but, when they didn't show after a few minutes, Miller's intrepid driver told him to hang on and he would get him to the park on time. They arrived with minutes to spare. Miller rushed into the ballpark and straight onto the field where he was handed his script for the pregame festivities 90 seconds before they were scheduled to begin. USAir delivered Miller's bags to his home around 9 p.m. that night.

LOL.

But, I'm not surprised CHP probably found some more urgent business to deal with!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/25/08 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is no longer a "tidbit", I guess, but a follow-up to an item I posted in February. The article below is from the L.A. Times, and ran nearly a month ago as the 2008 season was just about to begin. It's a pretty humorous take on the "Manatees", the male cheerleading group formed for baseball spectators at Dolphin Stadium. I got a few laughs out of this (except for the anti-Dodgers reference ) Evil or Very Mad but overall, it's an amusing read.

Frodio, our resident Marlin fan, perhaps you can share your thoughts or observations about these guys? Working at the ballpark I'm sure you see and hear a lot about it. LOL. I've been wondering how they've been received.

"Florida Marlins bring on a heavy-hitting cheerleading squad"

Meet the Manatees, the Florida Marlins’ newest cheering squad, practicing for their debut at Monday’s season opener. Jeff Stern, Nelson Clark, Mark Robinson and Joseph Love are part of the 16-man troupe -- Major League Baseball's first plus-size male squad. The Marlins hope the Manatees will connect with the fans who usually watch baseball at home on the couch, and draw those fans into the stadium.

The Manatees, Major League Baseball's first plus-size, all-male cheer team, get ready to thrill on Opening Day. Really.

By Carol J. Williams, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 29, 2008

MIAMI GARDENS, FLA. -- Robert Ramos bumps when he should grind. If he's supposed to walk like an Egyptian, he gets down in a low swagger. With Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" blaring, Ramos isn't sure which way that is.

Even when telling a joke about his lack of dancing prowess, his timing is off.

"My girlfriend says that if it wasn't for no rhythm, I wouldn't have any rhythm at all," he says, furrowing his brow when that doesn't sound right.

But Ramos and 15 other men will be dancing before an expected 45,000 fans at the Florida Marlins' home opener Monday at Dolphin Stadium. They are the Manatees, Major League Baseball's first plus-size male cheerleaders.

The Marlins are hoping the squad -- which is named after endangered marine mammals that resemble pale walruses without tusks -- will bring fans into the park. Despite two World Series championships in its 15-year existence, the National League East team had the lowest average game attendance in the majors last year, fewer than 17,000. It posted a disappointing 80-82 season amid rumors, since squelched, that the team was for sale.

The idea was to connect with fans who are most comfortable watching baseball on a couch near a beer cooler. So when Marlins marketing executives posted a notice on the team website and held tryouts, there were no upper or lower limits on weight.

The chosen Manatees tip the scales at 225 to 435 pounds.

"There are more people who look like them than have those perfect bodies," says Sue Friedman, a charter member of the Marlins Fan Club.

But can manatees learn to dance?

At the first practice, in a second-floor studio at the Don Shula Sports Center, Ramos hung back from the others decked out in black and aqua-- the Marlins' team colors. A shy 6-foot, 270-pound man whose decision to join the Manatees shocked his near and dear, Ramos stood like a wallflower until choreographer Vanessa Martinez-Huff clapped the practice into session.

Modeling each step in front of her panting apprentices, Martinez-Huff watched their moves in the studio mirror, halting the music every few beats to correct missteps. Her motions were smooth and her voice cheery.

In her eyes was a look of stifled panic.

But she shook it off, determined to shame the men into synchronized movement.

"I see people leaving to get hot dogs!" she admonishes them. "You want to keep them in the stands! Do you want to lose out to a hot dog?"

"Can they bring me one?" asks Steve Bauer, a 280-pound food service vendor, drawing high fives from the other Manatees.

Tim Koteff, a 47-year-old from Deerfield Beach, infuses the routines with unexpected vigor and panache for a 5-foot-8 frame carrying 225 pounds. Mark Robinson, an event coordinator in an orange do-rag, shows off a split that brings groans from men who have trouble bending their knees.

George Gonzalez and Brian Seik -- who refer to themselves as Disco George and White Lightning -- dance to the music in their heads more than to the rhythm of the opening number.

"I'm doing this for the guys like me, the regular guys who haven't been that active lately," says Gonzalez, a 39-year-old computer firm account manager who weighs 130 pounds more than when he graduated from high school. Disco George has already made a name by dancing spontaneously at Miami Heat basketball games. He's fleet of foot for a large man.

Seik follows his own constant motion in the studio mirror. A single father and marketing salesman with a protruding gut and a knee brace, he says his 8-year-old daughter, Heaven, isn't cool with her father flaunting his girth in public.

"She's like, 'Oh, Daddy, no!' But she'll deal with it," he says, making a note to put something aside for therapy in case he's wrong.

Two weeks and three practices later, Ramos and the others arrive at Dolphin Stadium for a taping of the Spanish-language breakfast TV show "Despierta America" -- Wake Up, America.

Ramos is wearing a neon aqua ball cap and has added a matching terry cloth wristband.

A rental car agent, Ramos is on his cellphone, telling a colleague he can't help him solve a problem right now. He hasn't told anyone at work that he's a Manatee. His mother is still in shock; his girlfriend, a seventh-grade English teacher, is mortified.

"She doesn't like people saying we're fat," Ramos says. "She doesn't think I'm that bad, so she thinks I'm humiliating myself by being out here."

Two of the original 16 Manatees have fallen to preseason injuries -- including Seik, whose knee went out after the last practice. They've been replaced by Fernando Fundora and Serafim Heredia, aka the Big Kahuna and Bulldozer.

The squad gets through its number for the taping with relative precision. Martinez-Huff's eyes are wide with disbelief when her charges stay on beat. The Manatees seem to have found their groove.

But once the camera is off and practice resumes, so do the blunders.

Jeff Stern, a 52-year-old accounting teacher, keeps starting left when he should go right. Abraham J. Thomas, the oldest Manatee at 61, doesn't do knee-bends out of fear he won't be able to get up again.

At 320 pounds, Joseph Love takes his Manatee membership seriously. He looks shattered if he turns the wrong way. When the others rest, he goes over the steps alone.

For all their effort, the guys will get two tickets to every home game, a staff pass to the stadium, free parking, game-day meals, their Manatee uniforms -- for starters, black shorts and long T-shirts -- and other minor perks.

Love, a casino security guard, wants to make the Manatees something more than a gag that wears thin after a game or two.

"I've been a fan since Charlie Hough beat the Dodgers on the first day. I met my wife at a Marlins game. We had our first kiss during a Derrek Lee at bat," he recalls. With a rakish eyebrow flutter, he says: "Lee got a double. I got a home run."

After practice, Martinez-Huff calls a huddle to get a list of sizes and nicknames for the uniforms. (The squad will perform once per game for the first few weeks, then more frequently if the fans respond.) Dress rehearsal is just three days away, she reminds them, and they'll be introduced alongside the firm-bodied Mermaids and a peppy teen cheer group, the Minnows.

All long legs and flowing hair in their skin-tight tap pants and halter tops, the Mermaids flutter by with their silver pompoms on rehearsal day. The Manatees are getting a pep talk from Martinez-Huff, but as they eye the Mermaids, they have that "What were we thinking?" look on their faces.

As they wait their turn to perform, Ramos and Heredia swap Iraq war stories. Ramos served in the ongoing war, and Heredia is a veteran of the 1991 invasion. Both blame their weight gain on the sedentary years that followed their service.

Their reverie is interrupted by the stadium announcer.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Florida Marlins present the Manatees!" Ramos has lost his standing as the least rhythmic. Stern, the accounting teacher, turns the wrong way for the umpteenth time, muttering, "I'm an idiot!" Bauer and Robinson collide when the two lines of dancers are supposed to change places.

The reality of performing on opening day is starting to dawn on the big men. Love laments every gaffe with a disapproving shudder and roll of the eyes. Thomas is so winded he heads for the men's room as soon as the team is off the field. But Gonzales dances off, grinning, oblivious to his less-coordinated colleagues' concern.

Ramos assumes the crowd will be laughing with them, not at them. Besides, he has an ulterior motive for his newfound exhibitionism: He's already sweated off the first few of the 50 pounds he gained while recuperating from injuries suffered in Iraq, and he hopes to lose enough to eventually be too thin for the squad.

Ramos looks forward to opening day with renewed confidence. He has improved his moves and made progress at home: His girlfriend, at first too embarrassed by his moonlighting, has agreed to accompany his mother to the game.

"She'll be there for opening day," Ramos says. "It'll probably be the last baseball game she ever goes to."

carol.williams@latimes.com

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/1/08 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I asked Frodio to check out the above article and post her response as I knew she would have something to say.) I can't wait to see this video.

Frodio posted:

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:11 pm

About the Manatees.

They're full of energy, lots of personality and "god" they can dance. They're hilarious.
The best one is "Tiny" who's like 350lb (easy) and he jumps, locks, goes down to the floor like he's Michael Jackson. Unbelievable.
They're funny and entertain the crowd.
They only perform in the weekend games.
This Friday I'm taking a video and will put it here for everyone to enjoy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: