Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball tidbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandi

PostPosted: Thu 5/1/08 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIV7mbWUtvQ

Here's a 3-minute video clip from a local news affiliate about the tryout process for the Manatees.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/1/08 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought the article was hilarious, especially the family members' comments.

Looking forward to seeing Frodio's clip too.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Frodio

PostPosted: Mon 5/5/08 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on it

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing Frodio's clip too.
Frodio

PostPosted: Wed 5/7/08 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive the inexperienced. I was working and have to run to 1st base in the middle of the 6th inning to catch them in action and run back to where I work before my boss busted me. There was the camera men in the middle, sorry. But you can see the manatees in action. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ng02ijR6D0

[quote="Frodio"]I'm working on it
chisoxgal

PostPosted: Wed 5/7/08 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Frodio"]Please forgive the inexperienced. I was working and have to run to 1st base in the middle of the 6th inning to catch them in action and run back to where I work before my boss busted me. There was the camera men in the middle, sorry. But you can see the manatees in action. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ng02ijR6D0

Frodio wrote:
I'm working on it

That's pretty good!
chisoxgal

PostPosted: Wed 5/7/08 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my share of complaining about umpires so I thought I'd have to give them praise for this.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080506&content_id=2650089&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

MLB Umpires Ted Barrette and Lance Barksdale vist Comer Children's Hospital as part of BLUE For Kids, a non-profit organization founded by MLB umpires.
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed 5/7/08 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the "manatee" in the catcher's gear. lol! Thanks for the video, Frodio. Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/7/08 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL--that's really funny, Frodio; thanks for posting!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/8/08 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local barroom fight between a Red Sox fan and a Yankee fan two years ago has resulted in a monetary award.

Quote:
Although the Red Sox and Yankees weren't playing each other that day, that didn't keep the two from exchanging words shortly after Yankees slugger Jason Giambi hit an early home run against the Cleveland Indians.

It went downhill from that point. Full story from the San Diego Union-Tribune is here.

3000 miles from the East Coast and you just can't get away from this stuff.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/22/08 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, over three months since I've posted in this thread? Gee, I have so many items I've clipped and saved to my computer and never got around to composing the posts. But, I still will!

Meanwhile, I could not resist posting this video clip, considering how earlier this year, I mentioned this very same story when discussing "Game of my Life" by Mark Langill. It bears repeating by the storyteller...check out this video from a few months ago. It's a short one, and what the kids do is so cool! And the message delivered by the speaker is simple, but a great one.

I think there are a few here who will enjoy this. Smile

Crz...you'll love it if you haven't already seen it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 8/27/08 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 8/23/08 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video clip. In fact Larry Wiggins only hit 2 home runs I believe in his career. Larry is also still living and wouldn't it be nice to be at the same table with him and Vin?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/31/08 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even political issues are entangled with baseball.

From the L.A. Times, two amusing items of interest over the past week...

From DNC coverage:

Quote:
It finally happened; a small but audible chorus of "boos" disrupted the Democratic roll call as it steamed toward nominating Barack Obama as president.

The cause -- the spokesperson for the Massachusetts delegation noted that the state was home to the Boston Red Sox.

The discord that greeted that pronouncement seemed to come from the part of hall housing the New York delegation.

-- Don Frederick

And, from today's Sunday Report:

Quote:
Guillen turns politically correct:

Ozzie Guillen, the outspoken White Sox manager, said he loved that Barack Obama said the Sox were his team. But Guillen would not say publicly whether he would vote for Obama, because his team holds spring training in Arizona, the home state of John McCain.

"We've got to be nice to him too," Guillen said.

Also from today's Times, unrelated to politics at all:

Quote:
Doughnut holes and hunger pains:

The Rays won 66 games last year. They're on pace to win 100 this year, inducing quite the sugar rush at Dunkin' Donuts, the chain that promised fans a free doughnut every time every time the Rays won. When an outlet near Tropicana Field failed to honor the promotion, the St. Petersburg Times demanded an explanation.

This was it: Oops, and we had no idea we would have to give away so many doughnuts.

"The success of the Rays has exceeded everybody's expectations," a corporate spokesman said.

Doughnuts apparently were not the featured food in Beijing, where Rick Eckstein -- brother of former Angels shortstop David Eckstein -- traveled as a coach for the U.S. Olympic team.

"You can order any type of dog you want," Rick Eckstein told the Washington Post. "I didn't want to try any of that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of food, excerpts from an L.A. Times feature on Chase Utley revealed one weakness...

PHILADELPHIA -- You can take the kid out of L.A., but you can't take L.A. out of the kid. Unless, that is, the kid is Chase Utley, who would no sooner brag about himself than play second base naked.

Utley is a metronome, a three-time All-Star and the most popular player on the Philadelphia Phillies, by far. In a town that eats its stars, he is beloved.

He left L.A. without the Hollywood ego. He never had one. He shows up early every day, works hard, plays hard and deflects attention onto others. He would rather not talk at all, thank you very much, and he says nothing even remotely controversial.

We tried. This is as close as we could get: There is no hamburger in Philadelphia quite as good as the one he loves in L.A.

"There's no In-N-Out," Utley said. "I do miss that. I get my fair share when we get out to the West Coast.

"Here they have their cheese steaks. You can only eat so many of them."

The kid was born to play second base for the Dodgers. He grew up at Dodger Stadium, cheering for Orel Hershiser as he pitched a shutout in the last World Series game played there, in 1988. Utley was 9.

He played Little League in Long Beach, where his manager was Jeff Burroughs, the former American League most valuable player.

He played high school ball at Long Beach Poly, the alma mater of Tony Gwynn, teammates with Milton Bradley.

"I would never have suspected he'd be this good," Bradley said at the All-Star game last month. "But nobody, probably, would have suspected I'd be here either."

Long Beach Poly played many of its home games at Blair Field -- cool, damp and spacious Blair Field.

"He didn't have power like this in high school," Bradley said. "Me either. I hit two home runs."

The scouts took notes, and they took Blair Field into account. The Montreal Expos took Bradley in the second round in 1996; he signed.

The Dodgers took Utley in the second round in 1997. He said no to the Dodgers, yes to UCLA.

Finally, cute story about uniforms that don't get spell-checked. Twins shortstop Adam Everett's error--that is, the error on his jersey--went unnoticed until an "eagle eye" former player brought it to his attention while watching the Minnesota-Anaheim game--from his home! (Really, it takes someone watching on TV to point this out?)

Quote:
The misspelling was caught by former Twins player Denny Hocking, who was watching the game at home on television in Orange County when he noticed something peculiar about Everett's jersey. After double-checking the spelling twice in the at-bat, Hocking sent a text message to one of the visiting clubhouse attendants at Angel Stadium.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/8/08 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinals ladies, I thought of you all when I saw this article on astros.com. LOL!!!

If anyone else has any rookie hazing stories, please post them here!

Also, they should have brought a compass!

You've got to wonder if the Baby Bears will lose their way into the playoffs. Smile In case anyone missed it, manager Lou Piniella and coach Matt Sinatro got lost while driving in Ohio on their way from Chicago to Cincinnati. Now will they be able to get the right directions to St. Louis? Laughing Laughing Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlliniAmy posted:
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Post subject: Papelbon = Swayze-Wanna-Be?

Nicely narrated by David Ortiz:

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/11048/nobodyputspapelboninthecorner/

RoxRule posted:
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 am

That was pretty funny. I can't say I like Papelbon, I think the guy is a moron, but he almost redeemed himself with this. I say almost, because then he started talking at the end about how it would make him more money and that no one realises how he can dance etc. He just have just joked about it and stopped - instead he starts on with the boasting. Get over yourself Paps.

wyo4rox posted:
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:37 pm

I agree with RoxRule on this. I'm not a fan.... but I do like it when players have a sense of humor. In fact I used to have a large amount of extreme dislike for Payton Manning.... now with all the funny commercials that he and his brother have been in .... I have developed a fondness for him that I would have never imagined.

Anyway - Papelbon is just a big cheeseball dork in my eyes. A big cheeseball dork with amazing stuff (I think that's why I dislike him). []

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crzblue posted:
Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Here is a link on Rookie Hazing this year:

Jan: i had promised you the link

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/1/posts/8621

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times:

"She's not celebrating"

When Erica Ford turned on her television Wednesday evening [September 10] and saw the Angels spraying beer and champagne around their clubhouse in celebration of their division title, she figured Thursday would be a long day. That's because Ford washes and darns the team's uniforms, and after cleaning up after three division championship parties and a World Series celebration, she has learned those things can be messy.

"It usually takes a couple of washes to get [the champagne] out," said Ford, who was at Angel Stadium at 3 on Thursday morning doing laundry.

The clubhouse staff also worked overtime putting the locker room back together and cleaning the champagne out of the carpet. Even the ceiling tiles will have to be replaced, but clubhouse manager Ken Higdon said that will have to wait until the off-season.

"We could have a couple of more celebrations in here," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the L.A. Times "Morning Briefing" column:

"Philly fuse"

Before Philadelphia played the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday [September 24], three suspicious items wrapped in duct tape were spotted outside the Phillies' ballpark.

Employees were evacuated, the bomb squad was called in and the suspicious items were blown up.

Turns out they were heavily wrapped hot dogs that the "Phillie Phanatic" team mascot had shot from a launcher as part of a commercial filmed that day.

Said Phillies reliever Chad Durbin:

"I'd rather them blow up some hot dogs or some ketchup and mustard and relish than have it be a real bomb. Better safe than sorry."

From MLB.com's "Beyond the Box Score":

TV star: Marie Kottaras was looking for a couch, but ended up with a great view of her son's major league debut. As reported by Amalie Benjamin of The Boston Globe, Kottaras was shopping at a Sears in Toronto on September 13 when she caught sight of her son, George, on one of the televisions in the store's video department. He was coming to bat in the first game of a doubleheader between the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays. Ms. Kottaras watched the rest of the game from a nearby recliner, seeing her son go 0-for-2 in his first game in a Red Sox uniform, after coming in for catcher Jason Varitek in the seventh inning.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
In fact I used to have a large amount of extreme dislike for Peyton Manning

I'm not the biggest NFL fan, so I'm fairly neutral on this -- but I was sort of surprised to read this. Everything I've read and seen on Peyton paints him to be an extremely likable guy.

Was your dislike purely from a competitive standpoint?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a minute there that shocked me Surprised Surprised but then I realized, technically it was Wyo4Rox who posted that, not me, but I merged the comments into this thread. Smile

I'm not one who dislikes players based on their competitive nature and never felt strongly about Peyton one way or another. If there was a player I was going to dislike based on competitiveness, that would be Jake Peavy. But what's the point? How can somoene not admire a player like that even if he thoroughly dominates your team? I disagree with that way of thinking. Dread seeing him coming, yes, but live up to the challenge--that's what he's supposed to do.

Unless he's cheating Evil or Very Mad and then that's a different story.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
For a minute there that shocked me Surprised Surprised but then I realized, technically it was Wyo4Rox who posted that, not me, but I merged the comments into this thread. Smile

I'm not one who dislikes players based on their competitive nature and never felt strongly about Peyton one way or another. If there was a player I was going to dislike based on competitiveness, that would be Jake Peavy. But what's the point? How can somoene not admire a player like that even if he thoroughly dominates your team? I disagree with that way of thinking. Dread seeing him coming, yes, but live up to the challenge--that's what he's supposed to do.

Unless he's cheating Evil or Very Mad and then that's a different story.

Yeah, I don't know why I asked that, as it didn't seem your nature. I guess I was fishing to see if there was some horrible story out there about Peyton Manning that I hadn't heard yet. I apologize for confusing the originator of the statement.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum to that last post...I should say Eli Manning is an entirely different story. You won't find a Charger fan around who doesn't hold some animosity toward him after he was drafted by S.D. but said he didn't want to play for the Bolts and insisted on an immediate trade, although it was his dad calling the shots there.

But then, he's got his Super Bowl ring now, so he is satisfied.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Tue 9/30/08 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Addendum to that last post...I should say Eli Manning is an entirely different story. You won't find a Charger fan around who doesn't hold some animosity toward him after he was drafted by S.D. but said he didn't want to play for the Bolts and insisted on an immediate trade, although it was his dad calling the shots there.

See, but there's rationale there. I understand that. I guess I was just looking to see if I missed a similar story about Peyton.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/13/08 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times, following last week's NLDS sweep of the Cubs:

"(Dodgers manager Joe) Torre...completed a ridiculously unprecedented parlay with the Dodgers clinching after cheering home a thoroughbred he co-owns, Vineyard Haven, to victory in the $400,000 Champagne Stakes at Belmont Park earlier in the day...Torre the horse owner and his partners are thinking Kentucky Derby for Vineyard Haven, while the Dodgers are playing like the World Series is a legitimate destination."

And on the verge of the 20th anniversary of the 1988 World Series between the Dodgers and the "A"s, how has Oakland's MVP that season, Jose Canseco, been celebrating? By getting detained at the border crossing at San Ysidro. According to this article in the Union-Tribune:

Quote:
Canseco was issued a notice to appear in Federal court “relative to a smuggling violation,” U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Lauren Mack said.

...The AP reported that immigration agents said they searched Canseco's car and found human chorionic gonadotropin, which is illegal without a prescription. Emerson declined to say if Canseco was carrying the drug, which is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency for use in men. The drug helps restore production of testosterone lost in steroid users.

...Mack said Canseco is to appear in San Diego's federal court Tuesday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/23/08 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it back to the league championship series, here are a few more tidbits:

From the L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing" column:

"Swing and a miss"

News that Kevin Costner and his band, Modern West, have recorded a song to inspire the Tampa Bay Rays has made its way to the other side of the globe.

Not that the reviews have been favorable.

Wrote one New Zealand Herald columnist:

"It certainly made [us] feel inspired enough to swing a baseball bat, albeit at the stereo."

"Going to the dogs"

Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell has two dogs, including an oversized English bulldog named Elvis that has become something of a good-luck mascot for the team.

Burrell brought Elvis to Citizens Bank Park for the final series of the regular season, leaving him in a laundry room off the clubhouse during the games as the Phillies swept the Washington Nationals.

Elvis was back in his lucky spot for the first two games of the division series with the Milwaukee Brewers and the series with the Dodgers, and the Phillies again went unbeaten. But since the dog can't fly, Burrell took a picture of Elvis with him to Milwaukee and Los Angeles and that's apparently where Elvis' magic ends since the Phillies lost the first games they played in each city.

...Phillies outfielder Geoff Jenkins, who played for USC, entered the visiting clubhouse after Saturday afternoon's workout and immediately took charge of the remote control. "Let's get the Trojan game on," Jenkins said.

From Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times:

"Rubber ducky"

As the Phillies played the Milwaukee Brewers in September, scrambling to make up 3 1/2 games with 16 games left, second baseman Chase Utley told Charlie Manuel to loosen up, making an anatomical reference to his manager and a rubber duck.

The Phillies swept Milwaukee, won 13 of their last 16 games to win the National League East, then went 7-2 to get into the World Series. Manuel decided he needed a way to remind his players to stay loose, not to get caught up in the World Series frenzy.

"So I bought them some rubber ducks," Manuel said. "And every time before they go out on the field, they look up in their lockers and they see a duck. It means for them to play like they always have."

Much has been written and posted already about the Rays' mohawks, but here's a cute take from MLB.com about a middle school student showing solidarity with his favorite team.

And last, from the L.A. Times:

"Sorry, honey"

Rays Manager Joe Maddon is getting married in 17 days, too soon for his hair to grow back from his Mohawk cut.

"You're going to see the 'hawk in the wedding photographs, which really upsets Jaye," said Maddon, referring to his fiancee.

But, as the all-for-one Mohawk craze swept the Rays clubhouse in mid-September, Maddon didn't mind joining in.

"It's only hair," Maddon said.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 10/31/08 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event took place earlier this week, but it's a cute story from the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Quote:
Culinary arts teacher Cindi Gavin is preparing a bash for tomorrow in the Blue Bronco Cafe, a student-operated restaurant at Rancho Bernardo High where (Phillies pitcher Cole) Hamels once learned to make chicken cordon bleu from scratch.

It will be called Cole Hamels Day, featuring a student-cooked lunch for the faculty and staff. The cost is $6 per person.

The cafe will serve Hamelburger, cole slaw, Philly cheese fries and “curveball” cupcakes shaped like baseballs and displayed around a cake that resembles a baseball field.

...Hamels chose Gavin's class as an elective because he was one of the many boys who loved to eat, she said. They loved the Food Network as much as they loved Major League Baseball.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/4/08 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two tidbits for everyone's amusement...

I'm sure the Cardinals ladies here loved it, but since it hasn't been posted here, I'm sharing this with everyone else.

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

10/31/2008

The Chicago Cubs' humiliating postseason collapse was not the result of shaky pitching, nonexistent hitting or an infield as porous as Missouri limestone.

Rather, the club's demise was preordained at a Tennessee tattoo parlor some 600 miles from Wrigley Field. That's where lifelong fan Jimmy Burroughs got the Cubs logo etched onto his right shoulder blade. But that's not all he got. Carved ever-so-lightly within the Cubbie "C" he found the words, "Go Cards."

"I pretty much blame the tattoo for the Cubs losing," said Burroughs, 26, a child therapist from Bloomington, Ind. "It kills me to have a tattoo that says 'Go Cards.'"

In July, the Cubbies were on track to win the National League Central and Burroughs felt confident the team would go all the way. So during a family vacation to Gatlinburg, Tenn., Burroughs stopped at American Rebel Tattoo Studios in nearby Pigeon Forge. There, he and tattoo artist Deke Rivers engaged in some good-humored ribbing about the Cubs' longtime rivalry with the St. Louis Cardinals. Rivers says he is not a Cardinals fan, but wrote "Go Cards" on the tattoo as a joke.

"We laughed about it," Burroughs recalled. "I told him, 'Color it in now.'"

Rivers filled in the "C" with red ink but as the tattoo dried, the message resurfaced. Rivers was shocked.

"I lightly scratched it in there," said Rivers, who has been tattooing for six years. "I wouldn't have messed with him. I take my job seriously."

Rivers refunded Burroughs' $190, but Burroughs decided not to fix his flesh-and-blood endorsement of the Cards.

"This was the weird thing ­- after I got the tattoo, the Cardinals actually started losing and the Cubs took off," Burroughs said.

Like the rest of Cubbie nation, Burroughs and his family believe secret forces in the universe control the club's fate. Could the goat of 1945, the black cat of 1969 and Steve Bartman of 2003 be shape-shifters sent here to test fan loyalty?

"We are very superstitious," said Burroughs' sister, Amanda Burroughs, a Cubs fan living in O'Fallon, Ill. "We're the kind of family where you have to sit in the exact same spot you did last time the Cubs won. So when I heard about the tattoo, I was like, 'Oh my gosh.' But then the Cardinals weren't doing so well, so my family was fine with it. Well, we all know how that turned out."

Yes, we do. Three games against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Division Series; three losses. Sometime between the Dodgers' grand slam in Game 1 and the Cubs' four errors in Game 2, Burroughs decided maybe he should retouch the tattoo. He plans to make an appointment any day now.

"It has faded. Unfortunately the only people who can see it are Cardinal fans," Burroughs said.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also, from the L.A. Times:

"A swing and a miss in Erie"

It was a throwaway line meant to be a crowd-pleaser. But it fell flat.

On Thursday at a rally in Erie, Pa., Sarah Palin touted the victors in the World Series to thousands of supporters. "I am thrilled to be here in the home state of the world-champion Philadelphia Phillies," Palin said.

The crowd booed.

Philadelphia is a seven-hour drive from Erie, which is in the state's far west. Erie's baseball devotions are split between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Cleveland Indians. (Pittsburgh and Cleveland are about two hours away.)

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Note: An ex-boyfriend of mine was from the area in northeastern Ohio just west of Erie, PA. To my knowledge, it's pretty rabid Indians country. But I guess they have picked up the Phillies' phans' habits. Very Happy

As I mentioned to Harpo, I can imagine the reaction Bush or Dukakis would have received in 1988 if, campaigning in San Francisco, they mentioned they were proud to be in the home state of the world champion Dodgers. I would love to hear the crowd's response to that. Laughing Laughing Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/5/08 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a price for everything, it seems. From the "Fabulous Forum" blog, latimes.com (last week):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The question isn’t what’s up for sale on eBay. The question is: What isn’t?

Rain water from Monday night’s washed-out World Series Game 5 can be yours for a minimum price of $8.99 per vial.

"You are bidding on rain from the same storm system that brought the game to a screeching halt," reads promotional copy written by the owner, Thomas. "It was collected no more than five miles away from Citizens Bank Park. It will be contained in a small vial and sent to you via priority mail. I do not know what size vial or exactly how much but you will get no less than 2 ml.

"I took a picture of the rain I had collected in a pan that was sitting on my front steps. That is the only collection unit I used so a very limited number of vials will be available and once they are gone, they are gone."

Thomas includes the following goes-without-saying words of caution: "Please be careful as I’m sure other will imitate and try to sell you tap water."

-------

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 11/5/08 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read my mind. I'll sell you Missouri rain water but tell you it is from the WS. How stupid are people?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/8/08 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A baseball-related tidbit (follow-up to previous post last month), as well as a personal one:

Lost in the election hoopla and other hype of the week was the fact former major league slugger Jose Canseco pleaded guilty to a Federal misdemeanor charge of illegally transporting fertility drugs from Mexico at the international border in San Diego.

Strangely enough, on the same date, three of my own family members--my mom and both sisters--were called to jury duty in San Diego. (All served one day without being called to a jury.)

If the odds aren't pretty high against that happening, just last week I received my own jury summons, to begin November 20.

Even assuming they're hitting all the "W"s at the same time, it's still pretty unlikely with the size of this county that we'd all be caught in the same net.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/19/08 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intersection of baseball and football:

Another one of my local boys, John Lynch, All-Pro safety for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, announced his retirement this week.

What a lot of people don't know is that, although he made his name on the gridiron, Lynch is famous for a bit part in baseball. Upon graduation from Stanford University, he was considering pursuit of a career on the diamond , and played for the first minor league team in the Florida Marlins' system when the Erie Sailors took the field in 1992, after becoming affiliated with the newly-formed expansion franchise that was to begin play in the National League the following year.

Lynch--whom I followed in both football and baseball at Torrey Pines High in San Diego--is a lock for the NFL Hall of Fame. He's a nine-time Pro Bowler and was a member of the 2003 Super Bowl Champions, who won it all right here in his hometown, at Qualcomm Stadium.

But his baseball jersey hangs in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., as he was the man who threw the first pitch in Florida Marlins' organizational history, before switching sports--much like another John from SoCal, by the name of Elway.

That, as they say, is the "rest of the story."

Congratulations to him...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/20/08 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times' "Totally Random" column:

It took the Tampa Bay Rays a few weeks but they finally came up with a response to their World Series loss to the Philadelphia Phillies.

They fired their mascot.

Or at least they fired the woman who wears the Raymond costume. According to the St. Petersburg Times, Kelly Frank, the woman who “perfected Raymond’s trademark butt shimmy,” was cut by the Rays on Monday after five years with the team.

Frank said she is "just as confused as everyone else" and was told just three weeks ago by her supervisors that she out-enthused the Philadelphia Phillies mascot, the Phillie Phanatic, during the World Series.

Asked, then, what happened on Monday, Frank said, "My severance package is kind of up in the air right now, so ... "

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: