Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball tidbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/16 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for some updates, I know.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/16/16 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sure been a long time since this one was bumped!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/19/16 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was cute, how Ben Zobrist rode his bike in uniform to the game at Wrigley Field on Saturday - link from mlb.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 12/17/16 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to dig for this thread but finally found it! Smile

I enjoyed the story of Jake Arrieta's tattoo to celebrate Coastal Carolina's CWS title. I guess he could say it was a trade off for the Cubs winning the World series. Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 12/24/16 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cathy. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 1/20/17 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I loved to read about this - Adam Jones has been hired as an official for the Gulls! The Orioles CFer will be on the job tonight as the Gulls host the Barracuda. I have not been to a Gulls game in a couple of years. Article from mlb.com

Quote:
"I'm living out my dream joining the San Diego Gulls to be an off-ice official and serve as a penalty box attendant," Jones said in a statement.

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/23/17 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that, too! Great stuff. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/8/17 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Tiger Joey Pankake--baseball's connection to National Pancake Day (March 7).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/11/17 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one just warmed my heart! - cat scaling the wall at Marlins Park during tonight's game. Rally kitty!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/13/17 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cat clip was so cute! Very Happy
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/16/17 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed that too. Very Happy Here is another from the Japanese baseball league.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/22/17 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet, Sunny. Smile

A holdover from last weekend, from the L.A. Times:

"Pee Wee Reese, the Horse, Wins on Jackie Robinson Day"

4-year-old is hunch bet at Santa Anita

by Eric Sondheimer

The hunch bet Saturday at Santa Anita Park was Pee Wee Reese in the second race. After all, it was Jackie Robinson Day in the major leagues, with teams honoring the Dodgers great on the 70th anniversary of Robinson breaking the color barrier.

Pee Wee Reese, the horse, was named by owner Nick Alexander after Pee Wee Reese, the Dodgers Hall of Famer who helped Robinson during his most difficult days.

And Pee Wee Reese came through with a 1 1/4-length victory in his first try around two turns, winning the optional claiming mile race on the turf in a swift 1:33.78 for his fourth consecutive victory under jockey Joe Talamo.

“It was so cool,” Alexander said.

Alexander grew up in Pasadena and became a Dodgers fan when the team moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. He has named several of his horses after baseball players, including Catfish Hunter, Junior Gilliam and Steve Bilko.

He was a car salesman for years and started Nick Alexander Imports. He has turned over the business to family members and built a growing stable of horses focused on breeding to his stallion, Grazen.

Pee Wee Reese could become his next stallion if he continues his improvement and becomes a stakes winner. The four-year-old son of Tribal Rule is three for three on the turf. Trainer Phil D’Amato has been good at developing front-running turf horses such as Obviously, and Pee Wee Reese could be next in line.

“Pee Wee has just progressed,” Alexander said.

Alexander still could name more horses after his favorite baseball players, but he has one condition.

“I learned not to name them after slow baseball players,” he said.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/23/17 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“I learned not to name them after slow baseball players,” he said.

lol, none will be named after Carl Furillo.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/25/17 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Skoonj or Caracol! Smile

So yesterday, the Pirates called up RHP Dovydas Neverauskas, the first born-and-raised Lithuanian player in major league history.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
By reaching the Majors, Neverauskas is sailing on mostly uncharted waters for Eastern Europeans. The only other Lithuanian to play Major League Baseball was outfielder Joe Zapustas, who was raised in Boston and played just two MLB games for the Philadelphia "A"s back in 1933.

Aside from Lithuania, there have been four players from Poland, four from Austria, three from the Czech Republic, two from Slovakia, and eight from Russia. Only two of those 21 players appeared within the last 50 years (Polish-born Moe Drabowsky and Russian-born Victor Cole).

Now however, Neverauskas joins an impressive fraternity of current European-born big leaguers that includes Germany's Max Kepler and the Netherlands' Didi Gregorius. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle made sure that the ball from his first pitch was taken out of play too, preserving this token of baseball history for Lithuania.

Nice.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/10/17 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one flew under my radar last week, but no surprise given the kind of week I had.

Sean Garvey, Palm Desert High senior, lured Bryce--yes, that Bryce--to film a "promposal" to Sean's girlfriend. And it was successful, as one would hope.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/17 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone landing at Petco Park during the weekend series vs. the Diamondbacks.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/31/17 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hilarious--Mr. Met is in hot water for flipping off some fans at Citifield. LOL!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 6/2/17 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. The Mets season is going badly enough and then this. Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/10/17 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one caused some stirring!

Anyway, got some more updates coming later.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/14/17 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shark was spotted in McCovey Cove yesterday, and it wasn't Jints pitcher Jeff Samardjiza. It was caught on camera during the Royals' thumping of the Battery Chuckers--perhaps indicative of "that kind of season" in S.F. I can't help but feeling a bit sadistic. Twisted Evil

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/17/17 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it did not come from San Jose, Lol.

Have you heard anything about this - the Cubs are selling Wrigley Field ivy for $200 a pop? Yes it is true, according tot he Chicago Tribune - linked here

I guess if I were a diehard Cubs fan I would buy it too!

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Fri 7/28/17 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 6/19/17 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is insane! But I suppose if I were a Cubs fan I'd have to buy one! lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/27/17 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is going to have to be the best ever post in this thread--from last night's Dodgers-Twins game, the Kershaw kids with the ceremonial first pitch. Just priceless!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/28/17 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just so cute! What a day brightener, even for those who are not Dodger fans.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 7/31/17 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw shucks! Cali is such a cutie! So is little Charley! I heard about it but hadn't seen the clip yet so thanks for posting it! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/13/17 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm way behind in this thread, but how about that cute little rally kitten in St. Louis this week?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/14/17 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poor little thing was so cute! I am glad it was found safe after that weird explanation they gave.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/2/17 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due for some end-of-season updates, I know.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/16/17 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cute story about Astros pitcher Charlie Morton
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/16/17 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cathy.

Here's a good one that goes back quite a few years, involving my favorite TV show, "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and how an episode filmed at Dodger Stadium saved a man from being wrongly charged with a crime-- a real-life unscripted consequence. Back on the old baseballchicks.com forum, I posted about it when the story originally broke in 2003. Of course, that is no longer available, but it's worth revisiting (according to the linked article, there's an upcoming documentary being produced about it).

I really love this story. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: