Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fans at Games in 2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/21/21 10:42 pm    Post subject: Fans at Games in 2021 Reply with quote

They are saying fans will be able to attend games in "pods" this year, but most of the owners here say California teams will probably be the last to allow fans in.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/22/21 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the Dodgers are not going to be able to properly celebrate their championship. There was no parade, and now there'll be no Opening Day ceremonies. I'll still take it, but it feels like our azul familia has missed out on the "togetherness" of it. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/3/21 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices for socially distanced seating at Dodger Stadium are outrageous! Yes, I know there's a price to be paid for being world champions, but factor in the lower availability and tickets are sky-high this year!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/4/21 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin Newsom is now saying that we may have made enough progress to allow in-person attendance at games. I'll hold my breath until that actually happens, but wooooohooooo!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/6/21 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks pretty official, and the Dodgers have released this statement about reopening games to fans.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 3/8/21 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, though because I wouldn't find it as exciting being there with just 20% capacity. Someday we'll look back at these days and think how happy we'll be they are over with. Just something so simple as going to a baseball game with a sellout crowd seems so far off now.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/10/21 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Sunny. In better times, we would be celebrating the end of our drought by packing the stadium with our regular blue wave, on Opening Day. Having only 20% capacity full seems like a sad way to celebrate last year's championship. Sad

Meanwhile, as I'm sure Cathy knows, the Padres aren't giving us any breaks. According to the L.A. Times, they're not planning to "roll out the blue carpet." Uh, not that we expected it...but we will find ways. Very Happy

"Padres to Dodgers Fans: No Petco Park Tickets For You (For Now)"

The San Diego Padres taking steps to ensure their opening day crowd at Petco Park won’t be full of Dodgers fans.(Lenny Ignelzi / Associated Press)

By BILL SHAIKIN, STAFF WRITER
MARCH 9, 2021 12:02 PM PT

It’s the first installment of baseball’s hottest rivalry: the Dodgers facing the San Diego Padres, live at Petco Park, the third weekend of April.

And how many tickets are the Padres making available for Dodgers fans?

Zero.

Nothing personal, the Padres say.

The Padres have sold close to 14,000 season tickets, Chief Executive Erik Greupner said Tuesday. They expect to open the season at 20% capacity — close to 10,000 seats — under state coronavirus guidelines, so they do not even have enough tickets for all their season-ticket holders for now.

“I can’t tell you yet whether we’re going to have any single-game tickets available,” Greupner said. “It’s looking likely, for the first two months of the season, we will not.”

Petco Park often has been overrun with Dodgers fans in recent years. San Diego is an easy drive or train ride from Los Angeles, and the Dodgers have won the National League West for eight consecutive seasons.

In 2020, as the Padres posted a winning record for the first time in 10 years and reached the postseason for the first time in 14 years, their fans were locked out of the ballpark.

The Padres have built upon the momentum from last season’s exciting “Slam Diego” team, acquiring Blake Snell and Yu Darvish to head the starting rotation, then signing shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. to a 14-year contract, the longest in major league history.

The Dodgers are the defending World Series champions, the Padres the confident challengers.

“We’re going to get 19 World Series games this year,” Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner said as spring training opened last month.

The Dodgers’ other visits to Petco Park this season are scheduled for June and August. Greupner said the Padres hope to play to expanded capacity by then. State guidelines call for stadiums to move from 20% capacity to 33% and 67% as the virus metrics improve, and Greupner said he believes the state would consider relaxing even those standards as vaccinations accelerate.

As a rivalry heated in recent years between the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers, the Brewers have limited ticket sales to locals, a measure intended to keep the Brewers’ ballpark from turning into Wrigley Field North, much as Petco Park has turned into Dodger Stadium South.

Even as the Padres soar in popularity, Greupner said he has not considered how to manipulate public ticket sales to keep Dodgers fans away.

“If we got to a point where we felt there wasn’t enough opportunity for San Diegans and Padres fans to come to the ballpark, we would always consider how we prioritize their ability to come to their ballpark and see their team,” he said. “But we’ve never really thought about it from the perspective of how to deny entry to a Dodgers fan.

“I think people in L.A. love to come down to San Diego. It’s a beautiful place, right? They like to come down here and enjoy our ballpark. We would like, as the team gets better and we become more competitive — including against the Dodgers — that we see more and more Padres fans, for the positive reason: that Padres fans want to see more of us, not that we’re excluding other people.”

For now, the only way for a Dodgers fan to see the team in San Diego is to buy tickets from the resale market. The Padres can only hope their victory-starved fans favor the chance to see Tatis in person over the chance to make a quick buck.

“They’re going to be really well-positioned to benefit from the scarcity principle we’re seeing the first part of the season,” Greupner said. “Our hope is that this fan base … is going to want to be at the game themselves, cheering for the team.”

And where would that leave Dodgers fans accustomed to a weekend at Petco?

“It’s a tough ticket to get,” he said. “For them to try to get a ticket, it’s probably going to be a pretty significant premium. Maybe they stay in L.A. and enjoy watching the Dodgers play there.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, whatever! He must have overlooked the fact that the Dodgers have fans everywhere, from Baja north. I think they like to avoid the fact that making tickets available only to "locals", it won't keep them out of Dodgers fans' hands. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/11/21 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, DB. I understand why they're doing this and why they think it's necessary for their own fans to have more opportunity so I don't disagree, but I also hope they see that in a time when the tourism industry is trying to recover, they are discouraging more from spending money in their city at the same time. And like you said - we will find our ways. Last year when there were no fans allowed at the ballpark, remember how many Dodger fans were noticeable around the Petco Park area and in some of the building overlooks nearby. I thought kind of passion was terrific for everyone else to see.

The Angels issued this statement about hosting fans.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/20/21 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have announced that they will sell single-game tickets this year--unexpected for sure.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/28/21 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of updates coming on this topic.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/29/21 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres are excited to get fans back into the stands - article from Union Tribune
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/31/21 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have been approved to sell at 33% capacity. We'll see how that goes.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/3/21 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned that the Battery Chuckers require proof of COVID vaccination to enter home games!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/6/21 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rangers opened at home last night with full capacity crowds. Not sure how smart that is. Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/7/21 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound bright to me. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: