Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monday, Monday - 40 Years Later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/25/16 6:03 pm    Post subject: Monday, Monday - 40 Years Later Reply with quote

And so it has come to pass that we've reached the 40th anniversary of the game in which Rick Monday saved the American flag from being burned on field by a man and his son, at Dodger Stadium, during a Cubs-Dodgers game on April 25, 1976.

Then a Chicago outfielder, now a Dodgers broadcaster, and in between a Dodgers outfielder for several seasons, Monday--a Santa Monica native--became the answer to two trivia questions after this incident.

Tonight, he'll be honored on field in a pre-game ceremony before the Dodgers-Marlins game at Dodger Stadium, the scene of this patriotic moment.

I was in tenth grade at Kearny High when this all went down. It was our country's Bicentennial year, and hearts across the U.S. were swelling with national pride as the most famous "save" in major league history was made.

But I still want to know what a man from Eldon, Missouri and his son were doing in L.A. on that fateful day. You hear so little about them all this time later. I really want to know more. What was their motive? Why did he drag his young son into the act? What's happened to them since then?

Unlike some others, I want to know because I want to understand. Right or wrong, there's always a reason for actions.

Rather than simply excoriate, I'd simply like to know what that was all about.

Here's more about this historic event from MLB.com.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/26/16 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure remember this. Linda I am sure you & I discussed it before because I think you mentioned it had been talked about on this forum before I came on board. Your questions are good ones and talk about things most people do not even think about. I like what Rick Monday did but it does make you wonder what the point of their actions was.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/26/16 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times:

"Rick Monday Celebrates Flag-Saving Moment 40 Years Ago in Dodger Stadium Outfield"

Dodgers outfielder Rick Monday takes an American flag from men attempting to burn it in the outfield at Dodger Stadium on Apr. 25, 1976. (Herald Examiner via Associated Press)

by Bill Shaikin

The old flag made it back to Dodger Stadium. The flag was tattered, its colors faded, but its relevance was not. It was the flag that Rick Monday rescued from the two men that tried to light it afire in the Dodger Stadium outfield 40 years ago Monday.

Monday displayed the flag at the ballpark and threw out the ceremonial first pitch to mark the anniversary. The Dodgers presented him with the flag in 1976, and since then he and his wife Barbaralee have traveled the country with it and he has posed for countless pictures with it, all as a way to raise funds for organizations that help soldiers and their families.

"The very symbol that represents the rights and freedoms for all of us in this country is the flag," Monday said. "The very flag that two guys were trying to desecrate on this field 40 years ago has helped raise money for military charities. It continues to live.

"Long after I'm gone, this is something my family will continue to do. We've had great response all around this country."

Monday, 70, said he has declined a $1-million offer for the flag, as well as a request from the Baseball Hall of Fame to display it there.

For nearly a decade after he rescued the flag, Monday said the only evidence he had was the radio call by Vin Scully.

"To this day, when I hear Vinny's call, I still get goose bumps," Monday said. "I listened to Vin in Santa Monica growing up."

In 1984, a television executive asked Monday if he had seen a video of the event.

"Seen it?" he said. "I didn't even know it existed."

The executive sent a copy to Monday's home that afternoon.

Monday was the first player selected in the first amateur draft in 1965 and he enjoyed a 19-year major league career, including two All-Star appearances and a World Series title with the 1981 Dodgers. He said he probably is better known for that one afternoon, and that one swipe of the flag.

"What I did that afternoon, I just spoke for the people that I know in this country that love this country and didn't like what those people were trying to do," Monday said. "To me, it was a slap in the face to anyone that has ever put on a military uniform, and to their families."

Did he think about what to do that day, or did he just act out of instinct?

"You don't have to think about something if it's right and wrong," he said.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/25/17 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this thread one year ago, so it's 41 years now, but today is the anniversary of Monday's heroics (which took place on a Sunday, by the way).

I've finally run across a blog post that contains specific "real time" references to the incident and the man in question who was on the field. It's fascinating to read the accounts detailed here, which explains some of what I was wondering about earlier.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/26/17 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting! I too like to read news reports and clippings from when the events actually took place.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 5/1/17 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after all that, it seems the reason they were doing this was to call attention to his wife being committed to a mental hospital. I think they should have done it with him too. I still wonder what they were doing in L.A. being so far from their home.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/26/21 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this yesterday. It's now been 45 years and Rick Monday was again in the broadcast booth for the Dodgers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: