Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numbers Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 8:16 am    Post subject: Numbers Game Reply with quote

With David finally getting the Bell family #25 back, I got to wondering what goes into players picking their uniform numbers. Does anybody have any interesting stories about players and numbers?
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Scott Rolen chose 17 when he was with the Phillies because in high school he was 7, his brother was 10, and his best friend was 17. So when he wore 17 he played for all of them. When he went to STL he had to wear 27 because someone already had 17.

Pat Burrell chose 5 because of George Brett
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. T. Snow picked #6 to wear for the same reason I use #6 in my email, SNs, etc.--going back to his high school days, he's worn that number most of the time. Can you Red Sox fans tell me if #6 will be available for him or will he have to take another number? Being an NL fan I'm not too up on what numbers on the Sox are already being used or retired (other than the great #9 and a couple of others).
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many players choose a child's birthday or add up their children's birthdays Very Happy sweet dads...........
GriffinDoerr

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #6 is kind of in a funny position right now with the Sox as it's worn by Johnny Pesky, who's still a coach despite closing in on the age of 90. In the past couple of years Pesky has worked with the players during infield practice and had been sitting on the bench during games (until the Orioles complained and forced him to vacate his spot. Evil or Very Mad )

Whether Pesky will return again as a coach this year, I don't know. He lost his wife last spring and I know that took a lot out of him. I do know the Sox have discussed changing their rule about retiring numbers (they only retire numbers of HoF players) and might retire #6 for him. OTOH, if Snow asked, Pesky might just give him the number..... he certainly wouldn't be petty about it.

Guess that doesn't really answer the question, does it? Wink
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the Orioles problem with Pesky sitting on the bench?
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CgrGrl wrote:

Do the Orioles really need a problem in order to complain? Wink
Phanatic's Girl

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Randy Wolf wears 43 because it adds up to 7.
Francine

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phanatic's Girl wrote:
I believe Randy Wolf wears 43 because it adds up to 7.

I believe your correct Laura......... Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GD,

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
(they only retire numbers of HoF players) and might retire #6 for him.

The Dodgers hold to that rule, too, and have made only one exception just as the Red Sox may make this exception. Let us know how that progresses please.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
la_periodista

PostPosted: Mon 1/9/06 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand reliever Turk Wendell wears #13 because he is superstitious... I think he also wears a necklace made of shark teeth (or used to, anyway), and always hops over the baseline to avoid stepping on it.
GriffinDoerr

PostPosted: Tue 1/10/06 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CgrGrl wrote:

I have no idea, but I thought it was pretty darned petty. The Red Sox players were pretty P.O.'d about it.

If anything happens on the #6 front, I'll let you know. For the record, the last time a regular player wore it was in 2000.
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Thu 1/12/06 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Giambi is 25 for the same reason - the numbers add up to seven. I read it is for his idol, Mickey Mantle. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/23/06 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Snow issue is apparently settled.

If any of you were following the other thread in which his father's death was discussed, Jack Snow was buried in Long Beach this weekend. J.T. is apparently paying tribute in a special way, and said (according to the Times), "I've asked the Red Sox if I can wear #84, and I think they're going to let me." (Jack wore #84 as a player.) "My father meant everything to me."

High number! I'm sure it's not retired. Smile No trouble with Pesky, and everyone's happy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/24/06 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Well, the Snow issue is apparently settled.

If any of you were following the other thread in which his father's death was discussed, Jack Snow was buried in Long Beach this weekend. J.T. is apparently paying tribute in a special way, and said (according to the Times), "I've asked the Red Sox if I can wear #84, and I think they're going to let me." (Jack wore #84 as a player.) "My father meant everything to me."

High number! I'm sure it's not retired. Smile No trouble with Pesky, and everyone's happy.

DB6,
You beat me to it. I was going to post that.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/8/06 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been resolved: Mike Piazza will wear #33 for the Padres.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 2/9/06 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_periodista wrote:
From what I understand reliever Turk Wendell wears #13 because he is superstitious... I think he also wears a necklace made of shark teeth (or used to, anyway), and always hops over the baseline to avoid stepping on it.

It wasn't shark teeth but rather teeth of animals that he killed while out hunting along with a polar bear claw that someone sent him. The necklace isn't so much a baseball supersition but a tribute to the animals he has killed. Their souls live on through him.

He also used to brush his teeth in the dugout.

I miss Turk; he was a ton of fun.
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Fri 2/10/06 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DianaPrince wrote:
The necklace isn't so much a baseball supersition but a tribute to the animals he has killed. Their souls live on through him.

Wow, I just got a little creeped out on that one.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 2/10/06 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilsPhan wrote:
DianaPrince wrote:
The necklace isn't so much a baseball supersition but a tribute to the animals he has killed. Their souls live on through him.

Wow, I just got a little creeped out on that one.

Well, that's Turk for you. On the outside he seems like a really creepy guy but he's really very nice and engaging.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/18/06 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL: Grady Little is wearing #9 for the Dodgers, which of course he couldn't have with the Red Sox. According to the L.A. Times: "They wouldn't let me use it in Boston for some reason," Little joked. "Here, I wanted No. 2, but they wouldn't let me have that one, either."

The Times went on to remind readers that even though Tommy Lasorda's uniform number 2 has been retired by the Dodgers, he still wears it during spring training.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/12/06 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting this because it's been discussed a lot around these parts, and was even made mention of during today's Fox Game of the Week broadcast.

When Greg Maddux first came to the Dodgers nearly two weeks ago, he was told that he would have to wear a jersey number other than 31, which he has worn throughout his major league career, but which is currently being used by fellow pitcher Brad Penny. Penny has been reluctant to give up the number even though Maddux is clearly a future Hall of Famer in the twilight of his career.

A few days ago, the L.A. Times made note of it:

"Jersey Not His No. 1 Concern"
By Ben Bolch, Times Staff Writer
August 8, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg Maddux said the only aspect of his uniform that will matter tonight when he makes his Dodger Stadium debut as a member of the home team is the name across the chest, not the number below it.

The fact that teammate Brad Penny has declined to relinquish No. 31 — he number that Maddux had worn throughout a 21-year career before joining the Dodgers on July 31 — has not rankled the newest member of the starting rotation.

"It's how you pitch, it's not what shirt you wear," said Maddux, who anticipated wearing the same No. 36 he wore Thursday while throwing six no-hit innings against Cincinnati. "We're all wearing blue."

But is it a sign of disrespect that Penny wouldn't offer the uniform number to a future Hall of Famer? "I don't take anything as a sign of disrespect," Maddux said. "What's important to me is how I perform on the field and my family. Other than that, I don't let a whole lot bother me."

Penny said last week that he would be willing to give Maddux his number as soon as he had acquired another satisfactory number from a teammate, but Penny said Monday night that he intended to keep No. 31. "Right now things are going good and there's no reason to change," said Penny, who said he was irked by comments made by Maddux's agent, Scott Boras, that Penny was ignoring tradition. "It's not a lack of respect for Maddux. I'm glad he's my teammate."

We already knew he was a classy guy but this just proves it even more.

Besides...the No. 36 that Maddux is wearing ain't too shabby.

While it did once belong to Jeff Weaver, preceding that, its greatest legacy is that it was worn by the only player in major league history to have won all three major awards--the CY, ROY and MVP. That's Don Newcombe. And I'm pretty sure Newk considers it an honor that Maddux is wearing it.

And in his one major league at-bat, another promising Dodger who has been the subject of much discussion on this board--Roy Gleason--also proudly wore #36.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/8/07 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(No smart comments, Harpo!) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Okay, Crzblue has mentioned this before, and of course it's the first thing I thought of earlier this week. Before I proceed, let me make mention that you'll all note the "6" in my user name, email address, etc. It's not a coincidence. (LOL)

Anyway, a bit of numerology:

New Dodgers manager Joe Torre is the 6th person to wear #6 for the Dodgers since first baseman Steve Garvey last wore it in 1982.

Today's L.A. Times' "Text Messages from Press Row" column notes that over the last 25 years, #6 has only adorned the backs of...:

Quote:
Jolbert Cabrera, Brent Mayne, Jason Grabowski, Kenny Lofton and Tony Abreu, who wore it last season. . . .

For 20 years after Garvey's departure, no Dodger wore No. 6, and Garvey says he has been inundated by calls, e-mails and text messages this week. . . .

Garvey, whose number was retired by the San Diego Padres in 1988, says of the Dodgers, "I guess they've taken it off the rack. To me, that's OK. They kept it away for 20 years. I thought that was quite an honor. God willing, I'll make the Hall of Fame and it will be retired permanently." . . .*

In the meantime, Garvey says, Torre is "a good steward.". . .

Can't argue with that comment, but come on...I'll give you Lofton did alright with the Dodgers, and Abreu was just a rookie playing part-time in '07, but Mayne, Grabowski and Cabrera? What an assorted group of underachievers!

The same column goes on to note, "BTW, no Dodger has worn No. 34 since Fernando Valenzuela in 1990. . . . "

*Garvey's eligibility for HOF election ran out this year and his hopes remain via the veterans' ballot.

Coincidentally, it was another Dodger whom Torre recalled on the day he was introduced as the new skipper in L.A. From MLB.com: "You look at this uniform, I remember when it was Brooklyn," he said while looking down at his No. 6, the same number he wore in New York. "These things are very vivid to me. Carl Furillo wore No. 6." (One of the beloved "Boys of Summer", Furillo roamed right field in both Ebbets Field and the L.A. Coliseum, wearing #6 for the team between 1946 and 1960.)

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 11/9/07 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your number six comes back into play for you. Good luck.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/31/08 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin said on tonight's broadcast that Manny will wear #28 for the Dodgers. He can't have his customary 24 because it's retired for Hall of Fame Manager Walter Alston.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/5/08 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe nobody noticed following my last post, but nothing happened as predicted in it. Honestly--making this one decision required so much texting and discussion?

I didn't know about Manny's childhood Dodgers jersey until now, though.

From the L.A. Times:

Quote:
...(There was) comical dialogue between agent Scott Boras and the club over Ramirez's uniform number.

He couldn't keep 24, his number in Boston, because it was Hall of Fame manager Walter Alston's and it's retired. He didn't want 28, suggested equipment manager Mitch Poole, and asked for 34, but was told that had been Fernando Valenzuela's and nobody's worn it since he was released. Then he wanted 66, which was no problem, but he changed his mind. He asked if he could have 11 as a tribute to coach Manny Mota, but decided against it. He accepted 99, only to walk into the clubhouse Friday and ask for 28, the original suggestion.

By that time, the marketing department had already begun churning out Manny gear with 99 on the back. So, 99 it is.

From Foxsports.com, here's their version of the episode on selection of Manny's number:

Quote:
..."I wanted 34, but I guess it's not available," (Ramirez) said.

In fact, he wanted 24, the number he wore with the Red Sox, but that number has long since been retired in honor of Walter Alston. Thirty-four, it should be added, was worn by the Los Angeles icon Fernando Valenzuela.

"It's not retired," said Dodgers equipment manager Mitch Poole. "But it's in our heart."

OK, Manny had other numbers in his heart. There was 30, the number on a Dodgers uniform his grandmother bought for him when he was eight years old. True story. Unfortunately, 30 is being worn by third baseman Casey Blake. [It should be noted #30 was most famously worn in this franchise by a Dodger named Maury Wills.]

Poole, who looked a little weary Friday afternoon, suggested 28, which was the closest number he had to 24.

But Manny didn't much like 28. There was some texting between (agent Scott) Boras' staff and Poole, and a list of available numbers was made available to Ramirez, who liked 66.

Fine, said Poole, who had a "Ramirez 66" batting practice jersey stitched up. This was between 8 and 8:30 p.m. Thursday night.

...It looked good. There was only one problem. Manny, being Manny, changed his mind again. And again. "It went from 28 to 66 to 99 and then to 34 and 11 and I don't know what else and them back to 99 again," said Poole, who at one point in the discussions thought to inquire about the availability of 007.

"I don't know why they gave me 99," Ramirez said Friday.

Uh, okay. #99 it is.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/5/08 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
How do you feel about Blake getting #30? When he got it, my friend Alex at the stadium was not happy. He said that they should not have taken that number from Maury.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/6/08 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Linda,
How do you feel about Blake getting #30? When he got it, my friend Alex at the stadium was not happy. He said that they should not have taken that number from Maury.

Yeah, how can one number be retired "in our hearts", but not another? #6 is retired "in my heart" (although I don't believe it should be in reality, unless he ever goes into the HOF). But as long as other players (and now the manager) have been issued #6 all these years, where do you draw the line? I guess I have mixed feelings about #30--it seems they apply different standards.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 8/8/08 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Cardinal fan I noticed the number 99 which was So's number. Not a well known name to everyone but special to us.
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/08 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stlred wrote:
As a Cardinal fan I noticed the number 99 which was So's number. Not a well known name to everyone but special to us.

Do you mean So Taguchi? He was a fun one to watch at AAA....always seemed to kill the Rainiers.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/08 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean So Taguchi?

Must be, as he was the only other player in MLB to wear #99 (according to MLB.com).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: