Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numbers Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/08 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wore the #6 in Japan, but couldn't have that number when he arrived with St. Louis. It's retired...having been worn by some guy named Stan.

He said ok, how about 6 upside down (#9)? Nope, retired (Enos Slaughter).

Ok, how about #1? (Ozzie Smith)

Ok, double the 6 (#66). (Worn by Rick Ankiel at the time, who's now wearing #24)

Ok, double the 9 then.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/08 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite as convoluted as Manny, I'd say.

Or not as much trouble as Manny, at least. (They weren't kidding when they said he brings a circus with him.)

But then, not as much merchandise sales on the line, either.

Rolling Eyes

Next question is the same one Crzblue asked the other day--how do they market the hair if he isn't wearing it? Question Question
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/20/08 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's L.A. Times:

"Dodgers' backup catcher gives up his number to Greg Maddux"

Danny Ardoin doesn't mind surrendering No. 36 to the newest Dodger.

August 20, 2008

Backup catcher Danny Ardoin walked into the clubhouse Tuesday to unexpectedly find a jersey with No. 28 and his name stitched on the back. The No. 36 jersey that he had worn until then now belonged to Greg Maddux.

Maddux wore No. 36 when he pitched for the Dodgers in 2006.

Ardoin took no issue with how clubhouse manager Mitch Poole changed his uniform number without telling him.

"He's a Hall of Famer, man," Ardoin said.

Ardoin said he wasn't attached to his old number, something Poole said he knew from the time Ardoin was called up to the majors.

Poole said he was relieved to avoid the controversy that resulted from Maddux's arrival two years ago, when Brad Penny refused to give his No. 31 to Maddux, who had worn the number throughout his previous 21 seasons in the majors.

(Note: Another beloved pitcher and long-time employee of the Dodgers, Don Newcombe, also wore #36.)
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/29/09 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something nice: New Dodger Brad Ausmus announced last weekend that he will wear #12 this season in honor of the retiring Jeff Kent. Quite a tribute. (Thank you, Tommy D., Dusty, and Jeff for making #12 special in so many eras.)

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/10/09 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out why Lobo finally won a game yesterday. According to the L.A. Times, he finally ditched #21 which he had been wearing since he was re-acquired by the Dodgers this season. (Maybe it was the curse of Milton Bradley...)

Anyway, this week he switched uniform numbers to 43, which he had worn in his first seven seasons--and finally got not only a win, but his first decision in over six weeks, in last night's start against the Mets.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/12/10 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Mike Cameron will give up #23 for AGon to wear in Boston. Classy move!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 12/15/10 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is wonderful and a classy move by him, but we always thought of Cammy as classy. Didn't you have a favorite you said wore the same number?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 12/18/10 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you're thinking of EK! Smile He was one of my favorites who wore #23.

Of course, the Dodgers have had some pretty significant players wear it: Recently, Casey Blake, D-Lowe, and in earlier times, a certain guy who hit a pretty dramatic pinch-hit HR. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/11/12 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is the first time I remember this happening:

A number that was retired as a franchise was born, is now being unretired: No. 5, by the Miami Marlins.

Interesting story behind it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 2/12/12 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great reason to unretire a number. It obviously means alot to Logan Morrison to wear that number with #5 having such a personal connection. He'd be wearing it in honor of his father Smile

Since the number was retired in honor of the president of the club and wasn't a player's number it seems totally fair it should come out of retirement for Morrison Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/13/12 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this article is a couple of weeks old, so the number is probably higher now.

But, 52 uniform numbers?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 9/13/12 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are getting up there into football numbers Laughing I would never have imagined the number 60 on a baseball uniform.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/13/12 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would never have imagined the number 60 on a baseball uniform.

GilHodgesFan:

If they're in the 90s, why is it so hard to imagine the 60s?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 9/14/12 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked back on previous posts in this thread from 2008 and I see what you mean.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 9/16/12 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had to look back in this thread to figure that out after all that was going on with your team and their 2nd most popular player in L.A.? I am not even a Dodger fan, I thought everyone knew that! I mean everyone of baseball fans, that is. Also what about CHP - I thought we wore a high number in L.A. - he did with us and I thought it was the same one.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 9/17/12 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I never paid much attention to his number or really thought about it until these recent posts.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/18/12 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilHodgesFan, that was a big deal throughout Major League Baseball given it was the highest number ever issued in major league history, and of course it was capitalized on internationally.

Quote:
I thought we wore a high number in L.A. - he did with us and I thought it was the same one.

Yes, it was in the 60s, wasn't it?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 9/19/12 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something for me to do research on. I can't believe I don't remember this even if it was during the years I wasn't following baseball.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/19/12 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, it was in the 60s, wasn't it?

Yes I am pretty sure.

What about the Dodgers zip code - seems I remember something about it having to do with Manram.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/21/12 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was when the new zip code for Dodger Stadium was established, in the Mannywood section, during his tenure.

It seems like it was more than a couple of years ago, but it wasn't.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/22/12 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just thinking about this and realizing that CHP made his debut almost 20 years ago now; I wondered if numbers in the 60s had been issued before then?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/11/14 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few uniform number changes for the Dodgers, per the L.A. Times:

"Dodgers' Carl Crawford has Three Good Reasons for Switching Uniform Numbers"

By Kevin Baxter

March 5, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

PHOENIX ­- Carl Crawford is sporting a new number this spring, having dumped the No. 25 he wore last year in favor of No. 3.

"I didn't like the number," Crawford said. "I wanted to change. It just didn't feel comfortable."

When Crawford arrived in Los Angeles from Boston in 2012, Hanley Ramirez had the No. 13 Crawford wore in 10 of his first 11 big league seasons and Manager Don Mattingly the No. 8 Crawford wore as a rookie. But when No. 3, last worn by Skip Schumaker, became available this off-season, Crawford grabbed it.

"I've got three kids now," he said. "That's one of the reasons."

Actually, Crawford has two children now but his fiancee, model Evelyn Lozada, will soon give birth to a boy. Exactly when that happens could affect Crawford's availability for the Dodgers' season-opening series in Australia this month.

"It could be any day now," said Crawford, who won't go to Australia if the child hasn't been born.

"If I'm in Australia, what am I'm going to do? Fly 17 hours back?," he said. "I want to go but you know I definitely want to see the birth of my third child."

As for Crawford's old number, that went to hitting coach Mark McGwire, who wore No. 25 during his playing days.

"It looks better on me," McGwire said with a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know it would be sacrilegious to say, "the new Three-Dog!" Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/30/20 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thread we haven't posted in for many years!

Here's an article from MLB.com about trading numbers among teammates.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/21/20 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, for a significant moment in MLB history:

As of yesterday, every number between 1 and 99 has been issued to a major league player at some point in history.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
The Yankees called up Miguel Yajure on Thursday and issued him No. 89 -- the only number left from 0 to 99 that has never been worn in a Major League Baseball regular-season game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/22/20 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea! lol

The things you learn, now that's a good bit of trivia I'm going to use on my brothers!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/20/21 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was heartwarming to me to see Joc make the uniform number selection of 24 to wear for the Cubs this season, in honor of Kobe. Sweet tribute. Very Happy

And, even nicer, that's despite the fact he's a Warriors fan.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 4/4/21 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 3/20/21 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to love Joc.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/23/21 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ending his first week with the Dodgers, future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols arrived in the L.A. clubhouse for his first game last Monday, unable to wear his customary No. 5 because of last year's World Series MVP having it on his back. He simply doubled the digit, and is now gracing a No. 55 jersey, with the blessing of Orel, who announced in that evening's broadcast that he was contacted in advance by a member of the Dodgers' organization about it. Of course, Orel said he was "honored" to have Albert wear that number, which we all predicted. Class all around.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 5/23/21 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And very appropriate! A lot of people wondered which number he would take. I was guessing something in the 50s but 55 really makes sense. It's a good thing Orel is not in the Hall. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: