Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch-Armed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/30/10 9:06 pm    Post subject: Switch-Armed Reply with quote

It's a pretty good story that's been getting a lot of press--that of ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte, a minor league hurler in the Yankees organization.

I guess this is one way to ensure a young pitcher's arm won't wear out too early. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 3/31/10 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really intriguing. Thanks for posting about it. Maybe he will be up with the Dodgers by the time the Yankees play in L.A. and Vin can tell us a lot more stories about him. Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/6/15 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug forever to find this thread and now I can finally post about it since he made his MLB debut last night! Smile Five years after the original post. He's no longer with the Yankees organization, but with the "A"s, as we were tracking him during spring training.

Pat Venditte was called up earlier in the day as the Athletics were preparing to meet the Red Sox in a weekend series at Fenway Park, and threw his first major league pitch in that evening's game.

Quote:
With two scoreless innings tucked in his pocket, capping a long-anticipated debut, the "A"s' Pat Venditte became the first full-time switch-pitcher in the modern era of Major League Baseball on Friday night.

Oakland selected the ambidextrous reliever from Triple-A Nashville earlier in the day, and he arrived at Fenway Park just after game time following a taxing travel day to work the seventh and eighth innings of a 4-2 loss to the Red Sox.

...Venditte, who had his wife, parents and in-laws in the stands, began the seventh from the left side, inducing a groundout from Brock Holt. Venditte then turned around and threw with his right arm and allowed a single to Hanley Ramirez before getting an inning-ending double play ball from Mike Napoli.

The switch-pitcher faced the minimum in the eighth, striking out switch-hitter Blake Swihart, who was batting left-handed, with his right arm to end the frame.

A curiosity, for sure! The "A"s will play the Dodgers in L.A. later this month.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/7/15 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story - interesting to see how switch hitters will react.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/11/15 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, by now I am sure you have seen that headline from the East Oregonian newspaper which is being posted on every page about the "amphibious pitcher." I am going to try and get the photo to post. It was good for a laugh at their expense! Lol Laughing

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/12/15 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, yeah, I think this was circulated more than any news about the novelty of him being a switch-pitcher was!

You know how I am about glaring errors, too. Mad Exclamation

Here's an article about Venditte's background, published on MLB.com from the "A"s' training camp back in March.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/12/20 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back over the years, I found this thread about switch-pitchers, and since I noticed the history of switch-pitchers in MLB, while limited, is a topic on the Baseball Hall of Fame home page this week.

So, before Pat Venditte, something to ponder.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/13/20 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Linda. Looking back - I just noticed it was 10 years ago that Venditte was coming up and first getting attention for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: