Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Stove - 2020-21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 11/8/20 10:28 am    Post subject: Hot Stove - 2020-21 Reply with quote

Time to get this one started.

LHP Robbie Ray has signed with the Jays for one year.

And from the Dodgers, we may have another "Family Ties" entry before too long.

From the L.A. Times:

"Angels Had a Chance to Sign Troy Percival’s Son, but Cole went to Dodgers Instead"

By MARIA TORRES, STAFF WRITER
NOV. 4, 2020 2:44 PM

Cole Percival was 3½ years old when the Angels won the 2002 World Series. His recollection of the championship celebration and the parade that wound through the streets of Disneyland and Anaheim is blurry.

But between the “Calling All Angels” videoboard montage that airs before every home game and watching replays of the World Series, Percival has relived the highlights of his father’s title-clinching pitch enough times over the last 18 years that he has patched his memory.

“Everybody knows I’m a very big Angels fan,” he said on a recent phone call. “I don’t miss a game.”

If he does miss one in the future, it would be for reasons he didn’t see coming.

Percival, a pitcher like his father, signed with the Dodgers as an undrafted free agent in late September. The team he grew up rooting for — the same team for whom Troy Percival set an all-time record for saves (316), which still stands — never made an overture to put him in an Angels uniform.

Though it remains to be seen whether he will match his dad’s productivity, the younger Percival at least possesses the attributes sought by scouts.

At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, he is a little more wiry than the former Angels closer. Otherwise, he’s a near-clone of his father. From the high leg kick to the follow-through, to the occasional 95-mph fastball.

The 21-year-old should add more velocity to an arsenal that features a low-80s slider and changeup as he grows into his frame. He already has done so simply by going to his leg kick more often, something Dodgers coaches encouraged him to do at the start of instructional league in Arizona.

Yet Percival’s potential did nothing to change the approach of the Angels, who have not signed any undrafted free agents since the conclusion of the abbreviated draft despite the $20,000 cap on bonuses for those players.

“It was a little disappointing,” Percival said, “because I felt like it could have been a really good fit.”

The Angels have a clear need for projectable big-league arms in a farm system that entered the season ranked 17th by Baseball America. They have not shied away from promoting their pitching prospects to the majors after they succeed in the minor leagues.

Griffin Canning, for instance, made his MLB debut in 2019, less than two years after the Angels drafted him out of UCLA. Left-hander Jose Suarez jumped from Class-A Inland Empire to Double-A Mobile to Triple-A Salt Lake within the first two months of the 2018 season as a 20-year-old. When the Angels dealt with another rash of rotation injuries a year later, Suarez was pitching against the Seattle Mariners.

The younger Percival had a 3.19 ERA and 63 strikeouts in 14 starts as a freshman at UC Riverside in 2018.

But an elbow injury for which he eventually received a platelet-rich plasma injection sidelined him for the 2019 season. He was poised for a breakout this season as a redshirt sophomore and made four starts before the coronavirus pandemic caused sports to grind to a halt in March.

Percival, who was the Arizona Diamondbacks’ 31st-round pick out of Riverside Poly High in 2017, expected to be selected by a team during this June’s amateur player draft, but his lack of playing time caused teams to shy away. When he wasn’t signed, he decided he’d return to school.

But the administration at UC Riverside cautioned in early September that there was no guarantee the baseball program, for which the elder Percival has been head coach since July 2014, would field a team in the spring. The university has been weighing cutting sports to mitigate the effects of a budget shortfall caused by the pandemic.

Rather than risk the possibility of going more than a year without pitching in competitive situations, Percival elected to turn pro. His dad emailed scouts on his contact list, and their agent set up meetings.

Although the Angels didn’t call the first few days he was on the market, Percival hoped they would swoop in with an offer.

“I wanted to see my options there, but it just kind of seemed like we weren’t really hearing back,” Percival said. “My dad actually reached out to a few people, and we just didn’t really hear much. And in the end, they kind of let us know that they weren’t in a position to make any moves.”

The decision to pass on Percival fell in line with the Angels’ months-long efforts to cut costs. They furloughed members of their scouting, player development and baseball operations staff. They were one of the last teams to commit to paying $400 weekly stipends to minor leaguers, and they later came under fire for capping the disbursements. When Albert Pujols offered to pay the salaries of affected employees at the team’s Dominican Republic facility, the Angels let him supply the $180,000 needed to cover roughly five months of wages. The team was expected to lay off more employees as they reckoned with revenue decline and consolidation of teams in the minor leagues.

The Dodgers hardly spent on undrafted free agents either. But they were well-prepared for recruiting meetings in the few instances they did chase a player. In the case of Percival, they expressed interest earlier this year and were quick to ring again when they learned he was available in September. Although their system is loaded with arms, Percival decided the Angels’ local rival presented him the best opportunity to move up their ranks.

“At the end of the day, it’s about being the best pitcher I can be,” he said. The Dodgers “aren’t going to hold me back if I do well. … And [with] everything they had to say and everything that they have to offer, I just think it was very hard for any other org to match it.”
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 11/27/20 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/18/20 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Padres have signed RHP Mike Clevinger for 2 years now - article from padres.com - but (a big but!) he will miss one of those years after having TJ surgery. What is up with that? I have not heard such mixed news about a signing in quite a while. I did want him back, but this is a big question mark and I am not sure about it.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 11/25/20 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHP Charlie Morton is back with the Braves for 1 year. Here's the link
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/1/20 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outfielder Michael A. Taylor has signed with the Royals for one year.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 12/9/20 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody posting in this thread?

The Padres have signed outfielder Brian O'Grady for 1 year - article from padres.com

Lefty off the bench, worth taking a shot.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/10/20 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I'll be back here to wrap up the "winter" meetings tomorrow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 12/14/20 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it slipped my mind but I did not post at the time about Padres RHP Luis Perdomo being designated for assignment. Adios, Luis. You can file this one in the department of "what took so long." Most of us thought it would have happened much earlier.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 12/15/20 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad - Dodger hitters liked facing Perdomo. Smile

And now, I see Hunter Renfroe signed with the Red Sox for one year. Here's the link.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 12/18/20 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad - Dodger hitters liked facing Perdomo.

And that is one reason why he is gone! Evil or Very Mad

About Hunter Renfroe, I wish him the best in Boston. I am sure he would like to feast off certain Dodger pitchers, too. Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/27/20 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pirates have traded Josh Bell to the Nationals.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 12/27/20 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres have landed LHP Blake Snell from the Rays! This is pending a physical. For this we will give up RHP prospects Luis Patiño & Cole Wilcox, infielder/catcher Blake Hunt, and catcher Francisco Mejía. Article from mlb.com
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 12/29/20 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh! I've seen what else your team is doing. I'd like to know your thoughts, but I feel I can predict what they are. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 12/29/20 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I am happy and hoping this works out better than the stockpiling we did back in 2015.

RHP Yu Darvish will soon be a Padre assuming everything goes as planned. I like this deal. I always admired him and his work ethic, and I admit I felt badly for him after the 2017 World series.

The breakdown between the Padres & Cubs is this:

Padres get: RHP Yu Darvish, C Victor Caratini

Cubs get: RHP Zach Davies & 3 prospects - SS Reginald Preciado, OF Owen Caissie, OF Ismael Mena, SS Yeison Santana. They are all among top 20 in the MLB Pipeline.

I should say also that all of the above is pending a physical just like the Snell deal. Article from padres.com

Also - KBO star/infielder Ha Seong-Kim has signed with my Padres, though the terms are not yet clear - another one pending a physical.
Article from padres.com

It is said he is very versatile since our infield is pretty much set already. I see that as a good sign. They may have to move pieces around a bit but who knows, that seemed to work well for your Dodgers, so we will give it a shot too.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 12/31/20 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Padres won the offseason! I'm still shocked there are so many FAs that haven't been signed yet, though.

DB are you doing your final catch-all posting tonight like you usually do on New Year's Eve?
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 12/31/20 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been finalized and the Ha Seong Kim deal is for 4 years - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/1/21 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know me, Sunnyblue! LOL

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 1/1/21 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Kahnle has signed with the Dodgers.

He is an RHP/reliever who underwent TJ surgery this past season with the Yankees and will miss most of 2021, but he signed for 2 years.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 1/7/21 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres have traded Greg Allen.

Of course the news that is getting the most attention today is the Mets getting Francisco Lindor - article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/17/21 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for me to update? Smile

RHP/reliever Pedro Báez has signed with the Asterisks* for two years! Adios, Pedro. You ran hot and cold, but you got your ring.

Outfielder Kyle Schwarber has signed with the Nationals for one year.

RHP/reliever Liam Hendriks has signed with the White Sox for four years.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/19/21 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres have added another pitcher, and it is a hometown guy! We are coming for you, Dodgers! A 3 team, 7 player trade was made yesterday between the Pirates, Mets and Padres. RHP Joe Musgrove comes back to San Diego. LHP Joey Lucchesi goes to New York. Pittsburgh will get 4 Padres prospects (OF Hudson Head, RHP David Bednar, LHP Omar Cruz, RHP Drake Fellows) and another from N.Y. (C Endy Rodriguez). Article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/19/21 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did indeed read about your latest acquisition. I think I'm going to start another thread since the Padres winning the offseason seems to be one of the biggest statements made since the Dodgers won the World Series.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/21/21 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outfielder George Springer has signed with the Blue Jays for six years!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 1/22/21 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know commented that the Dodgers in the offseason have not been a "hot stove" but an "ice box." Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/23/21 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly true, Sunny. But...they are world champions.

And a big reason for their versatility and competitiveness for the last several years is leaving. Following six years as a super-sub in Dodger Blue, it's time to say adios to Kiké. Sad The utility player has signed a two-year contract with the Red Sox, where he hopes to be an everyday player at second base.

He will be missed in L.A.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/26/21 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS Andrelton Simmons has signed with the Twins for one year.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 1/28/21 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHP Steven Matz has been traded to the Blue Jays. The Mets will get 3 RHPs in this deal - Sean Reid-Foley, Josh Winckowski and Yennsy Diaz. Article from mlb.com
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 1/30/21 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe I'm the first to report on this, but Nolan Arenado is now a Cardinal! It blew my mind to read that.

Going back to comments earlier about Kike signing with the Red Sox, I think we knew it was coming that both he and Joc would be gone, but they were both straight up for our team and I will miss them. Joc has now signed with the Cubs. They will always be appreciated for what they brought us!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/31/21 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know--Kike and Joc will be missed for what their special roles with the team, but neither are cut out to be everyday players, in my opinion. There would be no 2020 championship without them, both guys have been solid performers in the postseason over several years. Gracias por los recuerdos!

Moving on...

The Cubs have signed RHP Trevor Williams for one year, pending a physical.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 1/31/21 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not believe the news about Arenado. That makes the Cardinals so much deeper!

My boys have extended utility player Jurickson Profar for 3 years, which makes sense since he is versatile and can fill in where needed. He likes what the team is doing this offseason and I think he really enjoyed his first year here.

As far as Williams goes - they broke up the big 3 in Pittsburgh & that leaves only Steven there now. It will not be the same when they visit San Diego anymore!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/4/21 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure won't. Sad

Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks have signed Joakim Soria.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: