Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will There Be Mid-Winter Thrills and Beyond?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/18/21 11:42 pm    Post subject: Will There Be Mid-Winter Thrills and Beyond? Reply with quote

The question remains, will there be college baseball played in 2021?

The season is slated to begin one month from tomorrow. Sadly, I can't get too excited without knowing!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/19/21 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot either. Usually around this time we would be looking at preseason rosters and planning our opening weekend! I wish they would just play with no fans anyway.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/26/21 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no doubt we'll be prohibited from attending, but all signs as of this writing are that the season will get underway on February 19, regardless. And if so--that's beautiful. It's 3 1/2 weeks away, and here's the Aztecs schedule for the coming season. I don't see the TG Tournament listed here, but they may have scrapped it due to uncertainty. I do know other tournaments will be played in some other states. California just may be extremely cautious, and for very good reason.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/2/21 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're close to two weeks away now, but as we all know, anything can change on a moment's notice.

Still, it is encouraging to see that Baseball America has posted their preseason top 25, so that means hope is very much alive and a passionate fire is burning with me to watch some baseball, even if fans aren't allowed to attend games!

Florida

UCLA

Texas Tech

Mississippi

Virginia

Vanderbilt

Louisville

Mississippi State

Florida State

Louisiana State

Miami

Texas

Texas Christian

Arkansas

Arizona

Duke

North Carolina State

South Carolina

Tennessee

Michigan

UC Santa Barbara

Georgia Tech

Oklahoma

Central Florida

Alabama

Note: Down year for the Pac--only two teams ranked.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/11/21 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting, CSUF is not ranked. I have not done much checking into this year's team.

Our Aztecs are ranked tops in MWC preseason - from the official team site

Players to watch, outfielders Jaden Fein & Matt Rudick, RHP Troy Melton.

Some other names that are familiar - infielder Fisher Pyatt and RHP Casey O'Sullivan (guess whose brother), catcher Deron Johnson (guess whose son)
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 2/12/21 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the updates. I checked in on USD. Their team doesn't appear to be as strong this year in the WCC.

Preseason all stars are Shane McGuire (catcher & first base), Caleb Ricketts (same, split time) and Carter Rustad (RHP).
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 2/13/21 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are under 1 week away now!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/13/21 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS Sports' season preview is linked here, and their rankings vary only slightly--both Arizona and ASU are included.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/18/21 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Opening Day Eve and I ran across this guide to the 2021 season - linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/18/21 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm devouring everything I can read about these teams until the first pitch tomorrow. Smile

Here's the season preview from the L.A. Times.

I'll include only the lead-in here; the excerpts include too many tweets and other reposted information. Looking forward to seeing Matt and Jared in this pitching rotation!

"A National Title at UCLA Would Be the Ultimate Payoff for Matt McLain"

Shortstop Matt McLain is a preseason All-American and will try to lead UCLA to a national championship.

By ERIC SONDHEIMER, COLUMNIST
FEB. 18, 2021 6 AM PT

After turning down a $2.6-million signing bonus from the Arizona Diamondbacks coming out of Irvine Beckman High to attend UCLA in 2018, Matt McLain was subjected to skepticism, even disbelief. What kind of 18-year-old declines that kind of life-changing bonus money?

“I never second-guessed my decision,” he said. “The best bet is to bet on yourself. I know my capability. I’m going to get better when I work on things. I wanted to win a national championship at UCLA.”

McLain, a 5-foot-11 shortstop, is on his way to proving his decision was right all long. In 13 games last season before it was halted because of the Coronavirus shutdown, he was hitting .397. He’s put himself in position to be a first-round draft choice again this coming summer after going No. 25 in 2018 and most important to him, he’s part of a 2021 UCLA team that will start its season Friday ranked No. 2 in the nation behind Florida, according to Baseball America.

“I’m ready to go and I know our team is ready to go,” McLain said. “We’ve been itching to get this opportunity. We’re hungry.”

Said UCLA coach John Savage: “Matt is one of the most complete players in the country.”

Under NCAA rules because of the coronavirus, all players were given another year of eligibility if they wanted to return in 2021. UCLA has depth, experience and talent at all positions. About the only uncertainty is who will replace closer Holden Powell. The first opportunity goes to highly touted freshman Max Rajcic, one of the best pitchers in California during his days at Orange Lutheran.

Savage, who once had Trevor Bauer and Gerrit Cole in his starting rotation, has an impressive group of returning pitchers in starters Zach Pettway, Jared Karros, Jesse Bergin and Nick Nastrini, plus dependable reliever Kyle Mora.

McLain spent months during California stay-at-home orders last spring hanging out with his brothers, Sean, a baseball player at Arizona State, and Nick, a UCLA signee who plays for Beckman. His quarantine partners engaged in daily activities besides throwing and hitting.

“During quarantine time, there was more competition than any time else in our lives,” he said. “We would play Wiffle Ball with those crazy curveballs and try to strike out each other.”

There was football, basketball, video games and lots of golf. By summer, McLain returned to action on a summer team in Santa Barbara, the Foresters, that won a national championship in Kansas.

“Our aspirations are high,” McLain said of the Bruins, who open the season with three home games against San Francisco. “We want to win a national championship. We’ve been building since end of last year.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 2/19/21 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready! Aztecs vs. Toreros getting it going today.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/20/21 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aztecs won by a football score, 14-7. Game 2 being played now.

Of course, like everything else, it's not the same not having our opening weekend party. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 2/21/21 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere along the line these days will be over! For now watching it on line will have to do. I would really rather see some good pitching after the game yesterday, though. A 19-18 win in 10 innings and winning on a walk off wild pitch has to take a lot out of you! You don't want to get your pitching staff worn down that much in your first weekend! This is not Coors Field, lol. On the other hand USD is really giving them a lot to handle. It's another pretty day today where I would rather be out at Fowler Park instead of in my room on my computer!

The Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament is coming up next weekend.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/21/21 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked in on UCLA, and they lost their opening series. They seem to do that a lot - get out to a slow start at home.

Mason Pelio had a super start for BC in their season opener. He pitched 5 scoreless innings and they beat Charleston Southern.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/22/21 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and they should be "rewarded" in the standings.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/23/21 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we can say is different about this year, is it's the first year UCSD is competing in Div. 1 play. So it's going to be more fun having 3 D1 teams here to follow.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 2/26/21 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to my last post in this thread, here's an article about UCSD's transition
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/26/21 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. What a shame, just another perfect San Diego weekend being wasted since we have to stay home. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/27/21 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely wasted, Cathy. Just wasted for us fans who can't attend--you know I feel your pain! But I'm sure the guys are appreciating being able to play in some wonderful "winter" weather. Smile

FYI, since Stanford's season start was one week after most other teams, they've started off with two wins to open the 2021 campaign, playing Santa Clara in their opening series (splitting game sites between SC's home field and the Sunken Diamond).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/1/21 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess that would be true! I was looking at it from a selfish angle, Lol.

I really want to see UCSD do well and show they belong in D1 play, but our Aztecs took 3 of 4 from them this weekend, and it would be hard not to root for my No. 1 team! If there is 1 thing I am most concerned about though, it would be their pitching. They are 5-2 after the first couple of weekends, but have only 1 game where the opposing team scored under 5 runs. Our boys are winning mostly because of their offensive firepower. It is impressive to watch but I hope the rotation can find its groove.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/3/21 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen this before--three rankings over two weeks of play, and a different No. 1 team every time.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/4/21 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have not either.

I had to check in on USD. They are 3-3 in the first 2 weeks of the season. Last weekend it was CSUF coming to Fowler Park and the Toreros took the series. As bad as they looked against SDSU, I am glad to see them doing well against another team. I am watching their game vs. UCSD right now, taking place on campus at UC. I have never attended a game there, but that will have to be added to my list.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/6/21 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aztecs are out to a 7-1 start, MWC play starts this weekend, and sophomore outfielder Jaden Fein is leading the team offensively.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 3/7/21 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they were 7-2 when you posted that, but they are 8-3 now. They lost the opener of the series vs. Fresno State this weekend and are playing the rubber game now. In the game yesterday pitching was not a problem as SDSU won 17-0! If the 6-2 score holds up this will be the third straight series they won.

To remind you, Aztecs lost to USD on opening weekend, but won the series. They lost 1 of the games against UCSD last weekend. It was almost like they have not played a team outside of San Diego!

Just noticed in the lineup that Zach Presno plays for Fresno. He is their catcher he is from Clovis. Since he is a senior I am surprised I did not recognize that cute little rhyme before.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/8/21 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Quote:
It was almost like they have not played a team outside of San Diego!

Speaking of which, USD swept UCSD this weekend. They probably feel the same way.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 3/8/21 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking in on those Aztecs games, too. Their record is now 7-3. I think you gave them an extra win Wink
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/10/21 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnyblue - you are correct! Embarassed They are 7-3.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/10/21 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't post the current week's rankings from BA.com, I'll do that now. Arkansas is the first team in the 2021 season to spend two weeks at No. 1.

To note:

-UCSB is out.

-BC is ranked No. 13.

-Oregon State at No. 17.

Arkansas

Mississippi State

Vanderbilt

Mississippi

Miami

Florida

Georgia Tech

UCLA

Texas Christian

South Carolina

Texas Tech

Virginia Tech

Boston College

East Carolina

Louisville

Arizona

Oregon State

North Carolina

Oklahoma State

Texas

Virginia

Michigan

Tennessee

Alabama

Florida Atlantic

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/11/21 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided to check in on CSUF and they're really hurting (4-7).

It's going to be so nice when we can attend games at TG & Fowler again. I've been so anxious to get out.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/13/21 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "anxious" is the word of the day! I have used it a lot recently! I sure want things to be different this season and I think gradually, they will get there. It would mean a lot to be able to get out to Montezuma Mesa for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: