Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padres 2021 - Is This Our Year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/1/21 10:13 am    Post subject: Padres 2021 - Is This Our Year? Reply with quote

Go Pads! My boys open at home today against MadBum and the Diamondbacks, just like they did last year! Start the season with a win!

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/1/21 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - that was not what you would call a pretty win but it was a win, at least. Yu Darvish gave up 4 runs before leaving in the 5th inning while meanwhile my boys lit up MadBum. At one point we had a 6-1 lead and then gave it up, then my Padres broke a 7-7 tie to win, 8-7.

It felt a bit strange that Raul & I were not in attendance but we are concerned about new variants and trying to still stay safe even though we were both vaccinated.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/2/21 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at those first place Padres. Razz
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/2/21 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we hope to stay there! It would be a real miracle if wire to wire, but I would not bet on it, Lol!

There was plenty to say about the joy of yesterday's win even though it was a nailbiter there at the end.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/3/21 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that my Padres are now 3-0 to open the season. Little accomplishments should be noted Wink This is the first time since the 1984 season that they have had a 3-0 start! Yesterday, Blake Snell had his first start for our Padres and had 4 2/3 scoreless innings with 8 strikeouts. Eric Hosmer homered to back him and the boys won, 4-2.

Then, Joe Musgrove for the win tonight, 7-0. He pitched six scoreless innings, with his family and friends watching him play for the hometown Padres for the first time in his life. Must be very exciting and he sure fed off their energy. My boys roughed up the Diamondbacks starter, Caleb Smith. Manny (home run), Wil Myers and Jake Cronenworth had the big hits. Something I liked seeing in this game was a lot of good 2-out hitting. Keep it going, Friars!

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/4/21 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And our first loss came today, as the Diamondbacks wanted to avoid being swept, and they did with a 3-1 win. Though my Padres did not "rise from the dead" Sad they did keep from being shut out, with a 9th inning, 2-out solo home run by El Niño at 465 ft. Their reliever Chris Devenski gave up that one. El Niño has had a tough start to the season (2-for-15). I think he is just waiting for the Dodgers for him to get hot. Twisted Evil

Their rookie pitcher Taylor Widener (first major league start) beat Chris Paddack. I am seeing a problem with our starting pitchers getting past pitching 4 or 5 innings. Only Musgrove had a strong start in this series.

The Battery Chuckers will be here next! Adrián Morejón who earned the No. 5 spot in the rotation, will get the start on Tuesday, and he will get a big test as he has pitched mostly as a reliever in the past.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/5/21 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musgrove had a terrific start on Saturday.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/6/21 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he did.

Unfortunately El Niño is still pressing - and as hard as he is swinging he gets injured even when he strikes out! Surprised Last night he hurt his shoulder during our 3-2 loss to the Battery Chuckers Mad He has always been bothered by this shoulder but it is not known until an MRI, how bad it is now. Ha-Seong Kim is going to replace him until further notice. The visitors won their game on 3 solo home runs including Yaz's that broke a 2-2 tie off Craig Stammen, and that won the game for them. Also it was a pinch hit since they had scratched him from the lineup earlier. For my Padres, Adrián Morejón gave up 2 runs but he only lasted 4 innings. Not sure what that tells us but again, a starting pitcher not making it through 5 is a red flag. Still with 156 games to go there is lots of time to figure this out! Smile Yu Darvish will get another shot tonight and we shall see what he brings.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/7/21 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is El Niño will not need surgery. He is going to the IL (they hope for just 10 days) and outfielder Brian O'Grady was called up.

Also, my Padres beat the Water Hoarders last night. Smile Yu Darvish pitched 6 innings, Keone Kela got the W in relief and my boys won, 3-1. Victor Caratini has been awesome! His 2 run homer in the 7th inning was the difference in the game.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/7/21 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping we would get him at full strength when the Dodgers play the Padres at Petco next week. I'm disappointed he won't be. He's exciting to watch for anyone who really loves baseball. I don't like it if he will beat us, but he's good for the game.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/8/21 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That automatic runner rule has got to go! It seems everyone hates it and we still have it. Well, it backfired on my team and I noticed also that it backfired on the Dodgers at the same time. Our two games ended just minutes apart yesterday afternoon. This was another 3-2 loss like the first game in the series. Blake Snell started and went 5 innings but did not get the decision. Then in the 10th inning the Battery Chuckers put another run on the board.

Now the boys go on the road to start a series in Texas this weekend.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/8/21 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope your guys stay safe in Texas. I think they are way too open, but at least you're not traveling on the road with them.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/11/21 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. I am anxious to get back out to see a game, but not at that cost. And no traveling for us for awhile. We have been firmly set here for the better part of the last year!

My Padres have now won 2 in Texas, keeping pace with the Dodgers. Chris Paddack still makes me nervous and this game was no different. He was out of the game after 4 innings and losing 3-0. However the hitters picked him up and the bullpen did its usual thing (1.04 ERA so far). Ha-Seong Kim and Trent Grisham homered. Jake Cronenworth was on base 4 times and has been pretty hot this week. The final score was 7-4, Padres.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/11/21 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/11/21 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, a sweep. But bad news for Adrián Morejón - he started the game for my boys and left with an injury after just a few pitches, so not sure how things will go from here. They are saying it is a left elbow/forearm strain. Craig Stammen took over and he got the win, 2-0. Also, Mike Foltynewicz pitched a very good game for Texas but still got the loss. My Padres hit 2 home runs, 1 from Trent Grisham, the other from Manny. Nicely pitched game by both teams.

And now our team will move on to Pittsburgh during the week before coming home next weekend to host - the Dodgers! Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/11/21 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a little slow getting onto this thread, but congratulations on the team's good start. A lot of eyes will be on Petco Park next weekend. Smile

Sorry that you two, like me, were unable to be at your home opener, though. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/14/21 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the boys started out the 4 game series in Pittsburgh with a nice win (6-2), but they faltered yesterday. Yu Darvish went 7 in the first game and then Blake Snell got pulled in the first yesterday! He had thrown 38 pitches which was the second shortest outing of his career. Nabil Crismatt pitched 5 innings out of the bullpen. For both sides combined there were 7 hit batters. My Padres left 15 runners stranded, and they had 2 errors, so it looked pretty bad all around. Final score was Pirates 8, Padres 4.

In the first game Wil Myers was 3 for 5 including a home run to back Darvish.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/16/21 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we ended up with a split in PNC Park and now are coming home. Of course I do not have to tell anyone this but this series with the Dodgers will be huge!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/16/21 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just too bad none of us can attend in person.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/17/21 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not the outcome I wanted for sure, but last night we saw a pretty good game until we got into extras. Ryan Weathers did fine for his first major league start but his pitch count got him out of the game early. I do have to say seeing Jake Cronenworth on the mound was a little entertaining but he was a college pitcher, and at least has some experience. But, Joe Musgrove playing left field too - strange things. And, it is good to see El Niño back but he is still pressing.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/17/21 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the benches-clearing brawl! Surprised

That was a hell of a crazy game. More so than that one you guys played against the Pirates earlier in the week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/18/21 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - true.

About last night I could say so much but in the end it was down to your starting guy being just a teensy weensy better than ours. It was a super pitching match up and we should see another today. Yesterday's game was more cleanly played and if we had to lose I would rather have it like that one, than the mess that was on Friday night.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/19/21 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt relieved my boys made it out of the weekend without being swept but I think the series was pretty close most of the time. Games could have gone either way but I tip my cap to your guys for taking the series. Next weekend may be a different story. Wink
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/19/21 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel any of those games could have gone either way, and I'm sure the Dodgers will be waiting for more of that next weekend at home. We'll get to see more of the Padres' pitching including Joe Musgrove, and the Padres should be able to see Dustin May and Julio Urias whom they missed this weekend.

I was surprised to learn how much attention this series got around the country. Most of the time they thumb their noses at west coast baseball unless you're in the Pacific time zone, or maybe the Mountain. I'm sure a lot of people in the Eastern zone didn't stay up for that long extra innings game on Friday, but there seemed to be a lot of writers in other parts of the country writing about how close these two teams are playing.

Your boys are playing hard even when they lose. I think we all expected a good fight. But please tell Profar to sit down. Razz
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/20/21 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we hardly have time to catch our breath before playing the Dodgers again. Well, Joe Musgrove pitched a good game last night, but we came up on the losing end to the Brewers, 3-1. Sad Joe had 13 Ks and none of them were on fastballs! It seems like another crazy stat. It was a good pitchers duel with Brandon Woodruff getting a win over my boys. The intensity level at the game was a lot lower than it was over the weekend, but we need to beat these teams, too. We have 2 more to go so can still take the series before going to L.A. Big news, Dinelson Lamet will make his first start of the year on Wednesday!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/21/21 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh, it was just a couple of days ago we were so glad to salvage a game against the Dodgers. Now, my boys were swept by the Brewers, in our own house! Sad This is why I am glad we have a long, long season with most of it still ahead of us. Maybe something will light a fire under them on the drive up to L.A.

To rehash the last couple of days, today it was Dinelson Lamet coming off the IL to pitch for the first time since last season, and he was out of the game after 29 pitches with tightness in his forearm. The Brewers won the game this afternoon, 4-2. After the tough luck loss for Joe Musgrove on Monday, the Brewers won the second game, shutting us out 6-0 and beating Chris Paddack (same old song!)

It was announced a couple of days ago that LHP Adrián Morejón would undergo TJ surgery, so there is one pitcher down.

So far it seems to be up and down for my boys and even having El Nino back is no guarantee. Today it was mentioned that this team leads the league in 2 stats I would rather not think of. For one, they lead in LOB with 161 so far! Also, with 18 errors, that is the most in the majors. I am glad it is only April. But they have to play better baseball in L.A. Otherwise they could get buried in a deep hole before the month is over. Right now they are in third place in the West, five games out of first.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/23/21 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew - that double play sure kept the Dodgers at bay! My Padres won, 3-2, but it was another close one and another hard fight. Ryan Weathers had another super start! Held the Dodgers scoreless both last Friday night in his first major league start and then again in his second. I like the kid. He did well against them in the NLDS last year, too, when he made his major league debut.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/23/21 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he going to be another Jake Peavy? Rolling Eyes He's been absolutely solid. On the other hand, the Dodgers have been slumping for a week. But I'll get more into that on our thread. We should see another pretty good pitching match-up tonight with Yu vs. CK, the rematch!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/24/21 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the rematch better. Smile We got a rare win against Clayton. El Nino seems to be waking up with 2 home runs and it was almost predicted with it being the anniversary of his father's 2 grand slams off CHP! That is something it seems happen only in baseball. If my Padres win tonight, they take the series which only seems fair after the Dodgers took the one played in San Diego.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/26/21 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit last night's game could have gone either way! 8-7 in 11 innings, Padres win. I was happy even though the phantom runner rule took effect and I think we all hate that rule, here. But in this case my guys were the only team to take advantage of it. Both of the series were good series and so hard played by both teams. Now we have to move on and play the Diamondbacks.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/28/21 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my team was flat coming off the emotional weekend in L.A. but whatever it was, the Diamondbacks won the first game of the series, 5-1. We have not even gotten to the end of April yet and I feel worn out already! Lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: