Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE--AND ELSEWHERE--2021 SEASON
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/1/21 10:11 pm    Post subject: RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE--AND ELSEWHERE--2021 SEASON Reply with quote

Yes, believe it or not, I'm combining them all so there won't be separate threads about Dodgers home and road games this year.

The Dodgers opened on the road, and lost to the Rockies, 8-5, at Coors Field today.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 4/4/21 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/2/21 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 LOB says a lot! Clayton wasn't sharp, either. Back at it tonight, though, I predict a win for Trevor Bauer's first start as a Dodger.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/2/21 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you were right, Sunny! That's more like it. Dodgers win, 11-6.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/4/21 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final game of the opening Series at Coors Field has already gotten underway, and the Dodgers won the third game yesterday, 6-5.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/4/21 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crazy, but of the 4 starting pitchers in the first series, Kershaw was the least effective. I think our starting pitching is going to be just fine, including him - but having them open a season in Colorado is not a good way to judge the rotation.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/4/21 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

Julio Urias—so efficient! The Dodgers’ No. 4 pitcher was the most effective of all this weekend in Coors Field, throwing seven strong innings and allowing one run on three hits, as the Dodgers won, 4-2. Austin Gomber took the loss for Colorado. For the Dodgers, Will Smith’s solo shot in the eighth off Rockies reliever Robert Stephenson became the team’s first “out-of-the-park” home run this season, since Cody’s Opening Day blast was negated.

On to Oakland for a three-game set next before the boys in blue get back to L.A. for their home opener on Friday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/5/21 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bounceback from the Opening Day loss. Urias was tough and very selective.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/6/21 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent start for Dustin May, and the Dodgers won 10-3 at the Coliseum.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/7/21 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And vintage CK was back last night...thankfully. Dodgers win! Poor Athletics are 0-6...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/7/21 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really loving Zach McKinstry's play early on. If he keeps this up, we probably won't miss Kike as much. (I mean, I will miss Kike because of his fun personality and energy.)
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/8/21 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Kike--he sure kept the guys' spirits up over the last six years. I like Zach and what he's brought to the team, and would like to see what he can do over time.

Meanwhile...KJ must be removed from the closer's role. Dodgers lost today, 4-3, in ten innings after failing to protect a ninth inning lead. They could have swept the Athletics, but after starting out 0-7, I guess Oakland had other ideas.

Home for the weekend, and the 2021 opener at Chavez Ravine.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 4/10/21 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post an update! Maybe a different thread about the special ceremony. Or something at least - I'm still so excited from watching that yesterday.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/10/21 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sunny, I know it was a superb game, and a wonderful all-around celebration, but I will get back to that shortly.

But first I wanted to post about my mixed feelings about not being there. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/11/21 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the pomp and ceremony out of the way, the second game of the Nationals series was played on Saturday evening with Julio Urias enjoying another solid outing. The Dodgers won, 9-5, but Urias held Washington to one run for five innings. Dodger hitting handled Nats starter Patrick Corbin adeptly, scoring six runs over his six innings pitched. After the Nats scored one in the top of the first, CT3 contributed a three-run homer in the bottom of the second, and they never looked back. A.J. smacked a bases-clearing double to add three more in the seventh as the Dodgers piled on.

CK on the mound today.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/11/21 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want to say "Kike Who?", but Zach McKinstry is looking very good so far in this young season.

Today, in what was being called a "rare match-up between three-time Cy Young Award winners", Clayton outdueled Max Scherzer, and the Dodgers won, 3-0. It was one of those tidy little games where both starting pitchers fared well, and the Dodgers' one-run lead held up as if a tightrope. It was Zach's double that gave them the slim edge early, and his seventh inning two-run shot provided a bit more insurance. And KJ? Well, he came in and slammed the door in the ninth, just like old days.

At 8-2 thus far, I'm happy to say that starting pitching is once again a strength for this team. As noted on dodgers.com, "Dodgers starters are now 6-0 with a 1.61 ERA in their last eight outings. The starter has gone six or more innings in seven of those eight games."

Very Happy

The homestand continues for three more games as the Rockies come in for a mid-week set. Then it's down to San Diego to rumble!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/15/21 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have handled the Rockies well in their first two games, and now look to clinch a sweep tonight. They're off to a 10-2 start to the season.

And Mookie is back in the lineup.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/15/21 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked seeing KJ in vintage form for 2 outings in a row. I think using Corey Knebel in between has a lot to do with boosting his confidence because it's not all on Kenley now. Good for him though.

Obviously I hope the series this weekend goes our way. Just gotta play solid baseball and don't get too overly excited. The Padres feel they have a lot to prove and our team just has to play their own game. I think our starting pitching is much better than theirs even with their new additions.

First things first though, to sweep the Rockies tonight.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/16/21 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took a come-from-behind win last night, but Mad Max got the message. The Dodgers are not supposed to lose on Jackie Robinson Day.

So he launched a three-run shot in the seventh to put the Dodgers up, 7-5, a score which held up through the ninth.

Julio took the mound for the Dodgers and surrendered five runs (four earned) over six innings. Austin Gomber had a quality start for Colorado, allowing three Dodger runs over six, including a three-run shot in the third to Rojo Chingon.

But it was Max's blast off Rockies reliever Yency Almonte that sealed the deal for L.A. and the memory of #42. For the Dodgers, Jimmy Nelson recorded the win in relief, and David Price earned the save.

This team is 6-0 on the homestand, 11-2 on the season, and now coming into a series in which they'll definitely be challenged (given their first two opponents aren't quality competition). So, we'll see.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/16/21 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict a tough series. I'm sure that sounds too vague, lol. I remember all the series the 2 teams played last year and each of them was a hard fought game. In only 1 or 2 of them do I really remember the Dodgers being super dominating. Looks like our starting pitching should have a bit of an edge this weekend. But it comes down to the bullpen a lot of times in these series because the games are often close.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/17/21 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it, Sunnyblue. It went down to the bullpen and in the end, we had more bullpen arms than they did.

Dodger Blue was out in full force at Petco Park last night, because you can't keep us out. Were Padre fans louder than usual, yes--because of the limited number of tickets available and their ability to maintain some kind of "home fans" presence. But Dodger fans always find their ways to support their team with physical attendance.

The highly-anticipated game was a pitching duel for awhile, then got out of control once the two starters were out. Walker looked very good for the Dodgers. Ryan Weathers, making his first major league start, handled the Dodgers pretty well but had an early exit due to pitch count (L.A. being pretty proficient at running up counts). It had its own drama, including a benches-clearing brawl.

But when the dust had settled, it was the Dodgers 9, Padres 5.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 4/17/21 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's game is a tense one, I'm watching it going down to the bottom of the ninth right now as I'm posting. Last night's game was long and drawn out and both teams had 3 errors each! Tonight much better defense and the pitching has been terrific. Very different games!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/18/21 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a much better, solidly played game last night! CK beat Yu Darvish with one run of support, that being his own bases-loaded walk with which he did a superb job of working the count. Yes, this is National League baseball!

Yes, there was some tension with the Jurickson Profar call awarding him first base on catcher's interference. Clayton was miffed, but he got the last out and there was no harm done.

Having your 36-year old third baseman tack on a run with a solo shot in the ninth inning didn't hurt, and the Dodgers won, 2-0. Mookie's unbelievable full-body catch to end the ninth inning was the icing on the cake.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/18/21 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Padres took the series finale. I wasn't happy with our bullpen today, but I'm fine with the Dodgers taking the series. As long as they keep winning series, I'll be okay. S.D. gets another crack at our guys next weekend.

North to Seattle now, then home to host the Padres.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/19/21 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the series - Dodgers did just the little things to make sure they won 2 of the games. Corey's error let the Padres into yesterday's game but he's going to make one sometime, and I know he feels badly.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/21/21 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our brief two-game losing streak is over!

The Dodgers flew to Seattle for a two-game series that took place over the course of 24 hours--a night game on Monday, then a day game on Tuesday afternoon. They split the set, then get Wednesday off before opening at home against the Padres on Thursday.

Dustin May took the loss in the first game, 4-3, although the Dodgers certainly had their chances to tie and/or take the lead late in the game. The following day, Julio Urias sparkled with 11 Ks and one mere run of support, but they made it hold up for a 1-0 win. KJ pitched the ninth and surprised many of us again, touching 97 for the first time in what was said to be four years!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/22/21 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urias has done nothing but get better since throwing that last pitch in the World series. I'm so glad since he struggled along the way getting to where he is now. Dustin May didn't have a very good start in Seattle, but he's still almost a rookie.

Starting tonight, our Dodgers go back at it with the Padres for 4 games. Walker Buehler vs. Ryan Weathers match up in the first game.

Series preview
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/23/21 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how long the Dodgers' hitting woes can continue, but it doesn't help matters facing some of the better pitchers in the league, either. Ryan Weathers handled them quite well last night for the second consecutive start. I sure wish Belli was close to coming back. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/23/21 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's talk about whether Yu will be booed on his return to Dodger Stadium. I don't think he will.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/24/21 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he was but it was a good mixture of cheers and boos. He certainly pitched like he was expected to do. Sure wish he could have had that kind of outing the last time he pitched for the Dodgers. Sad

Cathy, your team deserves a lot of credit for keeping us off balance the last couple of days. I do have to say that even though Clayton allowed three solo home runs he still pitched a quality start, and still couldn't get much support. I think much of that had to do with his opponent on the mound, but at the same time, the Dodgers have been in a week-long slump, so there's that, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/24/21 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our fans have been surprised how well the Padres pitching has handled the Dodgers with a couple of exceptions. I think last night's game was a lot like the previous Friday's game, when it was close for a long time and then one team took off late. This week it was our turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: