Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE--AND ELSEWHERE--2021 SEASON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/24/21 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we go with another one-run game--another close one with a bit of drama. Trevor Bauer took the mound for the Dodgers, facing Blake Snell for the Padres. Repeating his feat of the night before, El Niño homered twice; his second shot broke a 2-2 tie to put the Padres up, 3-2. But after Snell's exit--signs of last October!--the Dodgers staged what MLB.com referred to as a "World Series-style" rally. With Pierce Johnson pitching in relief for the Padres, Corey's two-run single with the bases loaded in the sixth was the game-winning hit. Sheldon Neuse had singled to lead off the inning, pinch-hits by CT3 and Matt Beaty followed, and a walk to Mookie forced a run in to tie the game. Corey's hit put the Dodgers up, 5-3. Déjà blue, indeed!

Of course San Diego made it interesting by tacking on a run to close the gap to 5-4. But in the end, that was the final score.

Surprise of the game--K.J. with a four-out save. It had me holding my breath, though, with the prime culprit at the plate in the ninth, before he struck out.

And a few words about "showing up" Trevor after the home runs...I say no harm. Trevor is the first guy to resort to antics of sorts, and I think he gets it. No confrontation, no chin music.

Personal moment of the game that touched my heart--fans on their feet chanting "MVP" for Corey just before he broke through with the big hit. The season is still young, and we didn't get to properly celebrate his MVP performance last October.

I don't think Rojo Chingon was too far off with his prediction that we'd have 19 "World Series" games played between our teams this year.

Of note about the Dodgers' week-long slump, from MLB.com:

Quote:
Before Saturday’s game, the Dodgers had scored just 11 runs over their last six games. The 23 hits during that span were tied for the fewest for the franchise since September 1909. That was way before they changed their name to the Dodgers, and decades before the franchise moved to Los Angeles. In their last three games, the Dodgers had a combined 12 hits. They matched that total on Saturday.

A slump of that magnitude is shocking for a team as talented as the Dodgers, but it was a matter of time before they broke out. It happened at a good time, as the Dodgers avoided a third consecutive loss to the rival Padres. The two teams have split the season series.

And tomorrow will decide who takes the lead, with 12 more to play.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/25/21 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the celebrations and showmanship. If it doesn't bother Bauer, and it shouldn't because he's the same way, then it shouldn't bother fans.

Quote:
Personal moment of the game that touched my heart--fans on their feet chanting "MVP" for Corey just before he broke through with the big hit. The season is still young, and we didn't get to properly celebrate his MVP performance last October.

Yes it was spine tingling!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/26/21 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do a good news/bad news sort of exercise.

Bad news - Padres beat Dodgers in the final game of 4 and they had to come back to score 7 runs to do it. That means they took 3 out of 4 games in Dodger Stadium.

Good news - The Padres are still 3 games behind the Dodgers who are still in first place.

Bad news - Corey Knebel, the Dodgers' best reliever this year is not going to be available for a good part of the next few months. Others in the bullpen are blowing up.

Good news - I feel sure the Dodgers will do whatever it takes to fix this and I think it's just a bump on the road.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/29/21 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been gone a few days due to all the "promotional" duties I've taken on, so I guess I owe some input.

Following the complete implosion of the Dodgers' bullpen in Sunday's series finale with the Padres, they continued on pace by doing it again in Monday and Tuesday's games as the Reds rolled into Dodger Stadium, boasting the league's best offense during the first month of the season.

That takes us to Wednesday afternoon's game--which I learned is the only scheduled mid-week day game of the season--and I will report on that later.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/30/21 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got to see the right game because the Dodgers have lost 6 of their last 8. Also the Battery Chuckers took over first place by .5 game! Mad

I would love to hear about your experience on Wednesday, but I was sorry to see Trevor's great game go to waste yesterday. You can fill in the details.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/30/21 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filling in the details doesn't require much. Sad

The Dodgers began a four-game series with the Brewers in American Family Park. Former Padre Eric Lauer got the start and recorded the win last night; he now sports a career record of 6-0 vs. them. Despite Trevor going the distance (eight innings in a losing effort), the Brewers ruined what was a quality start and then some, winning the game, 2-1.

In a matter of minutes, Edwin Uceta will make his major league debut in what will be considered a bullpen game for L.A. The 'pen got a lot of rest the last two games, and that provide a boost for tonight.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/30/21 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please let us know about your visit! After over a year I am sure it was exciting to be there again.

Maybe we should have kept Lauer instead of Paddack. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/1/21 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first:

Game 2 in Milwaukee: Dodgers lost, 3-1, in what was scheduled as a "bullpen start." Fresh pitching throughout the game kept the team in it all the way, but again, L.A. could score only one run, A.J.'s solo shot in the sixth.

Game 3 in Milwaukee: One of those horrible extra innings efforts that saw the Dodgers take several leads in the game--starting with a Mookie lead-off home run on the first pitch in the first--only to lose in the bottom of the 11th. And it was mostly bad news all-around. To begin with, Dustin May started (on May Day!), but was removed in the second due to an as-yet-undiagnosed arm injury during delivery of a curveball. This meant that, following a scheduled "bullpen game" the night before, the Dodgers were effectively playing another "bullpen game" two days in a row. (Brandon Woodruff started for the Brewers and had no decision.) Which wasn't too bad until the teams entered extra innings, tied, 2-2. The Dodgers took a one-run lead in the top of the tenth, and then came the bottom of the inning, when Alex Vesia (yes, Alex Vesia of Steele Canyon) made his Dodgers debut. The kid clearly had a case of the jitters, but it could have been much worse--he allowed one run on a bases-loaded sac fly.

Will Smith's triple in the top of the 11th scored two to put the Dodgers up, 5-3, but that made no difference as the Brewers scored three in the bottom of the inning to win, 6-5. Vesia took the loss, while Angel Perdomo notched the win for Milwaukee. Essentially, ten pitchers for L.A. combined in a lost effort.

Other than May's injury, I've been very happy with the rotation remaining healthy and performing well. The Dodgers' starting pitchers have been quite reliable through the first month of the season. Only over the last 11 days has the offense seemed to have such a difficult time scoring runs with any regularity.

As painful as it's been to watch, I don't see cause for alarm. They're in a deep slump, but they've gone through those many times over the eight years in which they've won the NL West. Now, is the competition better this year? Yes. And everyone wants to dethrone the champions.

They knew to expect this. They just need to show they're up for the challenge. After all, there are only five months left in the season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/3/21 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the sad news! Crying or Very sad Dustin will need TJ surgery and that opens up a slot in the Dodgers' rotation.

And if you didn't read Dylan Hernandez in the L.A. Times yesterday, remember that column was written before the news on May.

Fans could temporarily cheer up yesterday because the Dodgers launched an all-out assault on Alec Bettinger, a Brewers kid making his first major league start, having never pitched above Double A level. A.J. and Matt Beaty both hit grand slams en route to a 16-4 win, and Julio held his own, allowing one run over seven innings. Of course it was great that the bullpen had such a padded lead, because they allowed three runs to score.

But the team salvaged a game of the series and avoided being swept, before heading on to Chicago where tonight's game was rained out, and a doubleheader will be played tomorrow.

Back to Hernandez...

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 5/4/21 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not going to post anything until I read your update from today's first game.

But about "Little Rojo" - yes, I am very sad for him. Now our organizational depth is not making much difference because all the possible replacements for him are on the IL too. But they are saying El Gato may be ready sooner. I would like for him to get a regular shot.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/4/21 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be nice if he did. I think he's the best option, based on what we know at the moment.

Well, that first game of the doubleheader sure was a train wreck. In so many ways. The shortest outing of Clayton's career--one inning, 39 pitches--a four-run hole later stretched to six and then seven runs before the Dodgers scored in the top of the seventh--yes, because these are seven-inning games, which I hate. Granted, that means two fewer innings in which we have to hold our breath at our bullpen in anticipation of their typical performance, but it also means two fewer innings in which the offense can get untracked. And even the lone run scored by the Dodgers was on a solo home run by Keibert Ruiz, who hit his first major league home run last year and added his second in this one. Meanwhile, Kyle Hendricks, who'd been struggling, boosted his confidence at the expense of L.A. to record the win, 7-1.

It was a horrible game all around from a Dodger perspective, including defensive lapses as well.
Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/5/21 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Déjà Blue: Second game of the doubleheader, another train wreck. Keegan Thompson started for the Cubs and, despite holding the Dodgers scoreless, didn't make it out of the fourth inning. Meanwhile, Trevor took the mound for L.A. and did a magnificent job of working his way out of jams and limiting the Cubs to one run over six innings. But it wasn't until the seventh (final) inning that the Dodgers finally answered with two runs--solo shots by Mad Max and Rojo Chingon--to put them up, 2-1.

Of course, a one-run lead is all too vulnerable with this team, and even more so on the road--so with the phantom runner, it wasn't at all surprising that Anthony Rizzo's two-run homer tied the game at 3. Of course, the next inning brought in the winning run for Chicago, thanks to a Bote walk-off single and a lost day on the North Side had concluded. Garrett Cleavinger took the loss for the Dodgers in relief.

Cubs go for the sweep with a single game this afternoon.
Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/6/21 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they got that sweep... Sad

At this point, there's no way the Dodgers will win a close game on the road because of their bullpen. With an 11-inning game, both teams took advantage of the phantom runner to score in both halves of the tenth and 11th. It's just too bad that the Cubs were entitled to the last at-bat, because an Anthony Rizzo bases-loaded single with two out off Garrett Cleavinger turned a precarious 5-4 lead into a 6-5 loss. So predictable I even clench my teeth with a lead on the road, anymore.

Meanwhile, it was another quality start for Walker, on the mound for the Dodgers, who went six innings and limited Chicago to two runs. Adbert Alzolay started for the Cubs, and gave up two runs over five IP.

Now the Dodgers fly back to Socal, where they'll "travel" to Anaheim for the weekend series. Hopefully they get their heads back into things, regroup, and come out winning then.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 5/8/21 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 5/6/21 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beyond fed up with our bullpen problems. It was bad enough when it was just Knebel and Kelly, but one good thing is Kelly is coming off the IL now. Let's hope he finds his groove quickly because almost every reliever we have has been on and off the IL. The Dodgers are going to have to look outside the organization too, I think, and find someone else. The good news is even with the Padres & Water Hoarders winning our team is still just 1.5 games back. It could be a lot worse! The hitting is going to come around, most of them are slumping now and Mad Max is showing signs of getting hot. I'm not worried about Mookie either. I can't wait to get Cody back. For my last comment, the defense has been kind of shaky lately. We're not used to that from them, either.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/8/21 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it goes on...you mention the defense, which fell apart last night. Even Julio had a bad start (giving up five runs in five innings), so you can't blame this one on the bullpen. Not that the bullpen was any good, either--Joe Kelly made his first appearance for the Dodgers this year and surrendered four runs in 2/3 inning, and is now sporting a grand ERA of 54.00. Urias absorbed his first loss of the 2021 season.

And never mind that the Dodgers couldn't get anything going against Griffin Canning, who limited them to one run over six innings and notched the win. With L.A. down 9-1 in the ninth, Mookie's solo shot off Patrick Sandoval (who recorded the save) was essentially harmless. But what an embarrassing result! Final score, 9-2, Angels, in the battle of Interstate 5.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 5/8/21 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cubs really took off on your guys this week but if it makes you feel any better, they are winning against other teams now. Maybe they were just ready to break loose, even if it does not help you guys were in the way at the time.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/8/21 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that, too.

As for the second Dodgers-Angels game in Anaheim...there was no need for a game like that to be played at sea level. Absolutely none, other than the Dodgers' bullpen, which functions like mile-high elevation.

The Dodgers took an 8-0 lead early. They batted around, twice, in back-to-back innings and put together several rallies, with success from the top of the lineup to the bottom. And yet...the misnomer known as relief pitching. It did no such thing. It tightened up a runaway game until the Angels ran out of opportunities, with the Dodgers eventually winning, 14-11. Although a nine-inning game, its duration ran longer than four hours, long enough to cause plenty of frazzled nerves and a deep collective *exhale* when the last out was recorded.

The Dodgers and Padres are now tied for second place in the NL West with identical 18-14 records, both 2.5 games behind the Water Hoarders.

Rubber game tomorrow, and if they win, it will be the first series win for L.A. since...the Padres, in San Diego?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 5/9/21 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got exhausted watching that game. The only plus sign about the bullpen is that these are guys who are only there due to injuries and won't be anywhere near a major league roster by the end of the season.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/10/21 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure have to hope they pick up reinforcements.

Meanwhile, after a 14-11 win the night before, the Dodgers not only lost but in a pitchers' duel, to boot--by a 2-1 score. That's baseball.

Trevor got the nod and went six innings for another quality start, allowing two runs. Victor Gonzalez pitched the seventh, followed by KJ in the eighth.
Jose Quintana started for the Angels, threw four innings, and was followed by a succession of relievers. For the Dodgers, CT3's single in the third drove in their only run. Again, they appear to be sleepwalking through some games.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/11/21 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a day off on Monday (travel day from Anaheim, LOL), the Dodgers opened a three-game series tonight against the Mariners at Dodger Stadium. Before that even happened, I was contemplating posting the L.A. Times article in which growing concern was expressed for the team not "figuring it out" now. There's been talk of complacency, but I don't see that, given the team roared out of the gate this year. Still, even while losing 15 of their last 20 games, L.A. remained three games behind the Jints in the NL West, so with S.F. winning their game earlier today, there was danger of sinking another game in the standings with a potential loss tonight.

For awhile, it appeared to be headed that way. Until Gavin Lux's three-run shot in the eighth put them up, 6-4, after they'd trailed since the first inning.

Exhale.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/13/21 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Effective today, I am going to have to stop borrowing a laptop on which someone else is still logged in. Surprised

But, hey, orale! Can you say two in a row? There were times when I wondered if the Dodgers could win (1) more than one consecutive game, and (2) win another series. Well, last night they did both, sweeping the brief set with the Mariners, with a 7-1 win at Dodger Stadium. Julio pitched exceptionally well, as he did in April in Seattle, going eight innings. Mad Max and Mad Matt provided the offense.

Next: The Marlins arrive in L.A. for the weekend series.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/13/21 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have unfortunately suffered a couple of major blows resulting in season shutdowns for two players. As mentioned earlier, Dustin May was set to undergo TJ surgery, and it was completed on Tuesday in L.A. Now, Edwin Rios will undergo surgery, as well. His struggles at the plate were most likely a result of his shoulder problems. Wishing the best to both guys as they sit out the rest of '21.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 5/14/21 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan Floro and Yimi Garcia, 2 former Dodger relievers, are back in L.A. with the Marlins this weekend. Seems like we might be able to use having them back! It would be terrific if the Dodgers win another series at home.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/14/21 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, the Dodgers won the first game (can you say three in a row?), but as usual, they made it closer than it had to be. With CK starting the game, the Dodgers had knocked Marlins starting pitcher Alcantara out of the box by the second inning and were leading comfortably, 8-0. Clayton wasn't his sharpest, though, as he allowed four runs and the Marlins eventually lost, 9-6.

It's a win, and we'll take it, especially when combined with a Jints loss.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/16/21 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that four in a row. It's almost as if the previous two weeks hadn't happened. Trevor is a stud! He threw seven innings again, logged another 10 Ks, and limited the visitors to two hits, as the Dodgers beat the Marlins, 7-0. Even the bullpen performed without a blemish! Garrett Cleavinger, Blake Treinen and Joe Kelly breezed through the eighth and ninth without so much as a whimper.

For Miami, it was a scheduled "bullpen start", but Jordan Holloway threw the first three innings and took the loss. Despite the score, the Dodgers didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball, as they amassed only six hits, had no home runs, and hit 2-for-10 with RISP. But they also took advantage of seven walks issued by Marlins pitchers.

So today, they'll go for the sweep, while later in the day the Padres will go for a sweep against the Cardinals. The Jints have lost two of their three games played this weekend against the Pirates, but are leading late in the fourth game going for a split. We could definitely see a pile-up at the top of the West.

EDIT: Ooops! Almost forgot the bad news of the day. Corey got hit by a pitch and now has a fractured hand. No surgery required (the good news within the bad news), but a trip to the IL required.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 5/16/21 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll miss Corey but maybe he needs a break with some of the questionable playing he's had. I'm glad it wasn't worse. We've just got to keep moving the pieces around and stay in striking distance until our team gets healthy again. I hope Albert will be able to join the team very soon, like in the next series starting tomorrow night at Dodger Stadium.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/17/21 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, he definitely is. He'll even be starting at first base. That may be because they're facing MadBum and the Diamondbacks.

Unfortunately, the Dodgers weren't able to pull off the sweep of the Marlins. I was surprised that Doc had scheduled a bullpen start for the series finale, and although the bullpen pitchers held the Marlins to three runs--all unearned-- Marlins starting pitcher Pablo Lopez and six relievers held the Dodgers to two. So Miami left town with a 3-2 win.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/19/21 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Dodgers have now taken the first two games against the Diamondbacks, keeping pace with the Padres and Jints.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/20/21 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they'll go for the four-game sweep tonight after last night's 4-2 win behind CK--another quality start.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 5/21/21 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need another update before we get into the weekend! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: